Review of bonus ROTS DVD

MrScratch

Better than the bonus disk on the HPPS album.

Ok,well so far I've watched 4 of them.The first video with the Main Title is a bit random with scenes from all the movies mixed togheter,but at least we got a clan version of the Main Titles that can be used for compilation purposes.

The second one is all right,the 3rd one reminded be how beautiful Anakin's Theme is ,and the Across the Stars one actually made AotC seem like a good movie with the way is was edited,at least they didn't include the sand line,but you still get a glimpse of the Naboo wild cows,which is no good.

So far,I think muted occasionnal sound effects in these videos would have been beneficial(like the Radio edits)

K.M.Watching the rest....

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it just me or the OT music sounds better than it ever has?

Hmm,the Leia video is more about Han and Leia,where's the ESB love theme,especially since they show the carbon freeze sequence.

I keep thinking Ian McDiarmid sounds like Alec Guiness when he narrrates in between the videos.

K.M.Who's hearing new instruments in the Tatooine music

I watched the whole thing with McDiarmid's intros. It was all right, entertaining enough especially since I haven't seen the OT in a while. I did think that McDiarmid looked a bit comatose, though he spoke well. Some of the videos were quite good, more toward the beginning it seemed. Some were laughable, like the Cantina Band with flipping, spinning animated characters! I couldn't believe that when I saw it. Overall, I felt that, more than taking us through a "musical journey," the DVD showcased the extreme visual differences between the OT and the PT when clips from the two were juxtaposed.

Ray Barnsbury

Watched it yesterday, will never watch it again. I was enjoying the prequel videos, I thought they were very well done. The OT videos were all over the place and the flash cartoons were laughable. I liked the Fox fanfare with Williams and I also liked that during the main title they showed clips from all six movies in the order that they were produced. McDiarmids intro's were useless and you could tell he was reading his lines, he should have had the cloak on doing the intros as Palpatine.

Jeff

I watched it tonight. Overall I thought it was OK. I didn't bother with McDiarmid's intros. The selections were well representative of the scores for the most part. Most of the videos weren't anything special, like Ray said the Cantina Band one is really freaky. But, I was impressed by the marriage of the pictures to the music in the one for Across the Stars (I guess that title's official after all now). Williams really showcases all the aspects of the theme in the concert piece (A-section: straight love theme, B-section: angst and destined tragedy, bridge: the coming darkness) and the images selected work well with it. And I agree with KM, to my ears this mix sounds better than ever.

I'll retract my earlier prediction of "frisbee" as it's not that bad, especially for a freebie, but it's still not something I'm going to watch very often if at all.

Especially Light of the Force seems to sound much better than on the c.d.The RotJ music benefits a lot from the new mix as the sound quality on the c.d.'s suck..Another one I noticed it "Jawa Sandcrawler".

K.M.

I was surprised to enjoy watching this as much as I did although I didn't watch it all in one sitting. I think this is a great way to hear concert tracks. Instead of having incidental music supporting the movie, you get images supporting a major musical theme of the movie. It ends up being not only a great tribute to JW and his music but also to the movies themselves. The music speaks to the feelings of what has made Star Wars so popular. I found myself having more affection and nostalgia for the Star Wars movies than if I were to actually watch the movies.

I think it would play even better, if it were shorter. Leave off some of the more incidental tracks which work better inside the actual film for me. The cues that work best for the DVD are cues that speak to some of the broad thematic ideas of the films. But that’s a small quibble since a person can easily skip that.

- Adam

Another thing, the music video montage style works well for the concert pieces, but for the cues I wish they had presented the relevent parts of the film "as is" and given it an iso score treatment.

The other thing I hate are all the recycled images....or some of the images that really didn't "fit" or have anything to do with the supposed "theme" of any one video.

Are any of the edits/recordings different on the DVD than the previous released versions at all?

Nope, same thing as on the CDs, except for Binary Sunset. The last part is taken off and seques into Cantina Band #1.

Well, I like the dvd. It is a good item as a SW collector. It could be better, yes it could be. I don´t think i´m gonna watch it a lot of times (excet the BotH clip, which I can not stop watching) but it is a good summary of the saga

Received mine this morning. I think JW should have introduced each of the musical chapters.

I was really expecting to see clips of JW behind the scenes reviewing edited scenes and making notes before going before the orchestra.

The new movies cut with the classic trilogy footage does not blend IMO. I think they are a different style of filmmaking altogether.

I cried when the animated spinning drawings began to appear in the videos. And did they think they could fool people into thinking Jaba's palace was the Cantina Band?

~Sturgis, who like the concept art, though

When I was a kid I used to combine my Cantina Playest and Jabba the Hutt figure and base to make a very (to me anyway) convincing replica of Jabba's Palace.

And I hate having a burp joke at the end of the Cantina Band!

Neil

the only time where the concept art really annoyed me was in the Imperial March video... that really took you out of the moment...

When I was a kid I used to combine my Cantina Playest and Jabba the Hutt figure and base to make a very (to me anyway) convincing replica of Jabba's Palace.

Why would you want to make a replica of that god-awful place? It's very dull and feels detached from the second half of the film.

Yeah, when I was 6 I liked ROTJ. I also loved Star Wars. I still love Star Wars and am amazed at how well it holds up. ROTJ gets worse with age.

Neil

I'm glad someone had the foresight to make these. BOTH is the mostn watchable at this point gotta love those backflips. I HATE the slow motion, it fits the music, but it looks friggin retarded. Even the zoom on Vader's mask is crappy looking. My favorite part is the visual summary of Anakin's life at the end, this was kinda touching--if you can blank out Are you an angel line? Where's Laptinek and Ewok Celebration, oops I forgot those are lost in the cracks of eternity. At least no Jedi Rocks. What about Assault on Jabba's Sail Barge one of my favorite film cues hands down. :spiny: