8 Weeks until War of the Worlds

JoeinAR

Hopefully the Decca release will be a better quality release than the crap that Sony continues to put on us.

Also I hope that there is no preview of the music, no early release.

For once it would be nice for all of us to get the score within a day or two of each other on the day of release and it not be anticlimactic as this day is.

plus its bound to have a better looking cover, not that old tired Struzan look.

Hopefully it will have the new poster, the one with the earth on fire.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For once it would be nice for all of us to get the score within a day or two of each other on the day of release and it not be anticlimactic as this day is.  

I agree. It'll be more fun that way. Plus, since it's coming out a day before the movie, I'll probably just see the movie first.

Ray Barnsbury

I prefer to have the score a few weeks before the release. It sets everything up, and yet it gives me time to assimilate the music, and to be excited about how certain cues will look on screen. I memorize themes this way, too, and allows me to appreciate the score more and more. It always has enhanced my viewing experience.

-Ross, relishing the Amistad ("give us free") and Saving Private Ryan ("earn this") memories.

Decca usually does a nice job with their releases. I really like ROTS and TIME Magazine gave the film a decent review (for a change) but I've always been more amped about WOTW- both film and film score. I want to be floored by both!

I agree Joe (though I disagree about your Struzan comments—love the man's work!) that the Earth of fire poster would make a very nice CD cover.

It'll be nice having the CD at least a couple of days before the film since it does set things up nice, as Ender sagely points out. I love driving to the theater with the score on in the car. Kind of a entrance overture on wheels before the show starts. Too bad the mood created by listening to Williams on the way to the theater is ruined by turgid pop music once I get in my seat in the show, plus a slew of commercials and such.

Ah, how classy filmgoing is in this modern age...Nothing like boy band pop singles and hyper Coke commercials to whet the palette for "War of the Worlds."

Decca usually does a nice job with their releases.  I really like ROTS and TIME Magazine gave the film a decent review (for a change) but I've always been more amped about WOTW- both film and film score.  I want to be floored by both!

TIME (and Variety) actually gave a favorable review to AOTC as well after having panned TPM. It was completely bizarre, given that everything that was wrong with the first film stayed wrong in the second. Also bizarre for the same reason was Roger Ebert's giving the first film a favorable review and the second one a negative one. I couldn't agree with Michael Wilmington for a second, but at least he was consistent.

What I'll do is buy the soundtrack, go see the movie and then after the movie in my car will pop the cd in and bathe in its glory.

Max

Too bad the mood created by listening to Williams on the way to the theater is ruined by turgid pop music once I get in my seat in the show, plus a slew of commercials and such.

Ah, how classy filmgoing is in this modern age...Nothing like boy band pop singles and hyper Coke commercials to whet the palette for "War of the Worlds."

You could always play your iPod in the theater before the feature starts. 8O

Neil

Too bad the mood created by listening to Williams on the way to the theater is ruined by turgid pop music once I get in my seat in the show, plus a slew of commercials and such.

You could always play your iPod in the theater before the feature starts. 8O

Neil

I've actually resorted to doing that since I bought my iPod. That music they play in theaters is really intolerable, and I like to get to shows early, so I have to sit through a lot of it. The iPod shows yet another hidden use by saving those with taste from suffering through being bombarded by bad taste.

I wish it was coming out more than a couple of days before the movie so I'd have time to absorb the music a little, but I agree that it will be nice to have it released at the same time for everyone so we can all enjoy it at the same time. 8O

im curious what the score for War of the Worlds going to sound like

im curious what the score for War of the Worlds going to sound like

Me too :) ... looking at the trailers, it's got that sort of feel .. I can't explain it really.. but the sort of music that some composer like Harald Kloser or maybe Alan Silvestri would create (Day after tomorrow sort of thing..)

But that's not really John Williams style, if I was to score that film , at a glance just from that 2nd trailer, I would really hear that sort of stuff.. But I think John Williams will really suprise us with some interesting music and some fresh exciting action cues .. maybe even some choral stuff? (perhaps not :mrgreen: )

Hopefully the Decca release will be a better quality release than the crap that Sony continues to put on us.

plus its bound to have a better looking cover, not that old tired Struzan look.

Hopefully it will have the new poster, the one with the earth on fire.

1- Agreed

2- Agreed, but even if it is, it should be our 'work' not to hear it...

3- Impossible, if it is as any Spielberg movie, the scores here dont arrive a week of more after the movie's release. Thank goodness at least the movie is released the same month...

4 & 5- I dont care what cover is it but eat you Struzan's opinions to yourself, mister :mrgreen:

Well, I hope it has NOTHING in commin with "Day after tomorrow", that score was the definition of "dull".

Yes, I suppose it was quite dull.. What I'm trying to say .. is most "normal" composers would feel the urge to follow that sort of style, but John Williams (being the Musical Genius that he is) will create a whole new, fresh, exciting score for us to have multiple orgasms over for several years to come :mrgreen: (or is that just me? o_O)

*runs away*

did Terminal have a preview of the soundtrack, I can't remember.

In the US its 6/28/5, and the films release is 6/29/5

There were clips of The Terminal available prior to its release, but I don't remember where or how they were released.

Ray Barnsbury

Both of those drawings are a riot, but the victim of the bad taste would be showing no fear since his iPod will save him from it ;) Unless he's listening to Brittany Spears, et. al, in his ear buds.

And what a fun movie coming out of that rocket launcher! Love the exploding sheep!