Audio Extract problem with ROTS OST DVD

JoeTesora

Just got the bonus DVD 'Musical Journey' that comes with the CD soundtrack for 'Revenge of the Sith'. I want to make mp3s of the audio for CD/iPod use (my kid loves the dialogue add ins). However, using the system I use for ALL my DVD ripping (SmartRipper-->DVD2AVI-->TMPGEnc) I get picture... but the sound is simply muffled static. The disc itself features the music in 5.1 or PCM (your choice) but that shouldn't matter, right? I have no problem doing this sort of thing with any other disc. What am I doing wrong? Does anyone else on this board have this DVD and have the same problem? Would love some advice. -JT

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why don't you try recording it in real time with your sound card.I have a creative and it has this "What U Hear" record feature that captures audio in MP3,WMA,AAC, or WAVE from anything that's playing out of the headphone output.I use it to get clips from DVD's.

K.M.

Thanks for the advice. I don't have Creative but I used Audacity and it is a solution I guess but the quality is dodgy. Really need to get the digital sound right off the disc itself. Anyone else have any advice?

• 2 weeks later...

The PCM track is 24-bit as opposed to the CD standard of 16. Unless you have a sound card capable of playing back 24-bit files and/or software which can open a 24-bit file and play it at 16-bit resolution, you will not be able to do anything with the PCM track. This might be a contributing factor as to why you're getting "muffled static".

I've had no problem here - managed to rip it easily using the method described on this site, along with Audacity for mixing the channels and editing....

I've had no problem here - managed to rip it easily using the method described on this site, along with Audacity for mixing the channels and editing....

I presume that you ripped/mixed/edited the Dolby Digital 5.1 track as opposed to the PCM 2-channel track. If you did rip/mix/edit the PCM track, then you have a 24-bit sound card with appropriate software OR during the ripping/mixing/editing process, the track was automatically requantized to 16-bit by your software.

I ripped the PCM track, opened it in Sound Forge 7.0b (which allows for playback of the 24-bit file even though my sound card is only 16-bit), and then requantized it from 24-bit to 16-bit. Then I resampled it from 48 kHz to 44.1 kHz (CD standard) and added track marks as appropriate for the final CD. I also kept the original 24-bit/48 kHz file for future use (e.g., DVD-Audio).

I presume that you ripped/mixed/edited the Dolby Digital 5.1 track as opposed to the PCM 2-channel track.  If you did rip/mix/edit the PCM track, then you have a 24-bit sound card with appropriate software OR during the ripping/mixing/editing process, the track was automatically requantized to 16-bit by your software.

Er - yeah - what that man said.....

Sorry - being cheeky - yes, I ripped the 5.1 track

Greg :thumbup:

Sorry - being cheeky - yes, I ripped the 5.1 track

:thumbup:

I tend to go overboard with bits and Hertz and all that stuff at times.