ROTS chronological

jamesluckard

Updated: 5/18, 5/19, 5/20

1) Star Wars and The Revenge of the Sith

2) Grievous and the Droids

3) Grievous Speaks to Lord Sidious (0:00-1:50)

4) Anakin’s Dream

5) Track 6 (2:27-end) Council Meeting

7) Track 6 (0:00-1:38) Palpatine's Big Pitch

8) Track 5 (0:00-1:25) Riding The Lizard

9) Track 6 (1:38-2:27) Palpatine's Seduction

10) General Grievous (1:25-end)

11) Padme’s Ruminations

12) Anakin’s Betrayal

13) Enter Lord Vader

14) Anakin’s Dark Deeds

15) Track 13 (1:50-end) A Moody Trip

16) Anakin vs. Obi-Wan

17) Duel of the Fates (Ep I album version)

18) Battle of the Heroes

19) The Immolation Scene

20) The Birth of the Twins and Padme’s Destiny

21) A New Hope and End Credits

For a Williams CD this actually doesn't seem too difficult to rearrange.

According to jimware, the album version of Duel of the Fates off the Ep I CD is the recording used in the film. It scores the duel between Yoda and Palpatine, and was too important to the flow of the film not to include. However, it is important to note that the chorus was re-recorded at the ROTS sessions in Feb, and only the orchestral track from this has been used, so it doesn't match exactly.

Many thanks to elvisjones for the breakdowns of tracks 5 and 6.

I would also add that tracks 5 and 6 are not easily disassembled, with the exception of Council Meeting, which can be sliced off with no problem. Since the pieces they include occur so close together, I have chosen to leave them together on my version with track 6 first, then track 5. It depends on how important exact chronology is to you.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm pretty sure it's all there, you certainly hear it open, and the big climax of the piece ends the duel. It's possible that the piece was edited in some way, it was hard to focus on the music when the film was so exciting.

Thanks. I'm actually deleting what I wrote. Even hidden like this, I just don't like the idea of spoilers. But I do hope people give me corrections for the chronological listing.

You sure about "Enter Lord Vader" being so early? I'm 99% sure that's the music for the death of Mace. Not that I've seen the film. But...

You sure about "Enter Lord Vader" being so early? I'm 99% sure that's the music for the death of Mace

umm....Im pretty sure "Enter Lord Vader" is near the end.i am just guessing.... but isnt "Enter Lord Vader" is where at the end of the complete transformation from anakin to Darth Vader in the movie.

Anakin "officially" becomes Vader after he helps Palpatine kill Mace Windu, and finally the Emperor's Theme for Palpatine.

Sounds logical...I 'm sure we'll be able to piece it togheter soon with all the reviews coming in.Apperently some JWfans are important enough to go to special screenings.

K.M.

"Enter Lord Vader" was the track I was least sure about. Where you say makes sense. That would put it between Padme's Ruminations and Anakin's Betrayal.

As I said, the film was so exciting, it was tough to always notice the music in isloation and then simultaneously try to remember which album track it might be. I'll update my first post accordingly.

Please keep the corrections coming.

Boy am I glad I didn't post the spoiler I was going to. It's as I feared. When somebody quotes your text, the purple background means that the text which was once hidden by being white on white is no longer hidden. See four posts above this one.

Okay, the concensus seems to be that album track 12 must be split at the 1:50 mark. This sounds right to me, from what I remember of the film, so I'm amending my chronological listing above.

It would seem to me that "Enter Lord Vader" should come after "Anakin vs. Obi-Wan". I mean, the intensity of the music as well as info from books and all seems that the "Enter Lord Vader" is the actual entrance of the man in black costume with James Earl Jones voice, which would be after "Anakin vs. Obi-Wan", not necessarily the symbolic entrance of Lord Vader. "Anakin's Betrayal" seems like it would be the symbolic entrance of Vader, when Anakin makes the decision to turn.

No, a militaristic piece like that does absolutely not fit in the scenes where Vader does appear in his suit. (Opinion based upon the screenplay) Also, didn't ElvisJones state that it comes directly before Anakin's Dark Deeds? The guy usually knows what he's talking about.

Well, having seen the film last week, I can definitely say that "Anakin's Betrayal" does not play when Anakin makes the decision to turn. He does this in Palpatine's office, during a facedown with Mace Windu. I'm pretty sure that "Enter Lord Vader" is the music for this scene, because at the conclusion Palpatine dubs Anakin "Darth Vader" and says "Rise Lord Vader."

As for where "Anakin's Betrayal," does go, it plays over the next sequence, which intercuts Anakin slaughtering the Jedi in their temple with the clone troopers annihilating the other Jedi, who have been dispatched to the four corners of the galaxy to fight Palpatine's phony war.

Vader's actual creation is intercut with the birth of the twins, and is played as a very sad scene, not martial, so the music is not what you might expect.

Anyone has any idea where the cue "I am the Senate" appears in the movie.Is that the music when palpatine declares the new Galactic Empire in front of the Senate?If not what music scores that scene?

K.M.

As somebody else pointed out somewhere, "I Am The Senate" is most likely just an alternate title for "Enter Lord Vader." They are the same scene. It ends with Vader being "knighted" by Palpatine, but it opens with Mace Windu and three or four other Jedi entering Palpatine's office to arrest him "in the name of the Galactic Senate." Palpatine's response to this is, "I Am The Senate."

ok,but what about that scene we see in the trailer,when we see a back shot of Palpatine rising his hands in the front of the senate audience,is there music in that scene?Seems like a pretty operatic moment

K.M.

There's a very brief scene, under a minute, where Palpatine announces to the cheering senators that he has been proclaimed Emperor because of the threats the republic is facing, and Padme has one of the best lines in the film as an aside, "So this is how democracy dies, to thunderous applause." I have no recollection of what music was playing then, if any, so it's likely that it was not anything really memorable.

*Bump* - now a few more bods have seen the movie (hey - 12 hours to go!), has anyone got any more thoughts on this?

I have always felt that Enter Lord Vader was the Palpatine/Mace scene. It makes perfect sense, since the motif, the one similar to the E.T. music, is the counterpoint to the Emperor's Theme in Return of the Jedi. It's very subtle, and I'm sure many people have missed it, but the brass motif throughout Enter Lord Vader is the exact same motif as heard in ROTJ as a counterpoint to the Emperor's theme played softly on the flute.

Ted

1, 13, 2, 8, 6, 5, 7, 4, 10, 11, 9, 12, 14, 15

This is what I noted in my mind when I saw the film. None of the tracks on the album are complete cues, and some are spliced together from different parts of the film. Track 3 is a concert suite.

There's a very brief scene, under a minute, where Palpatine announces to the cheering senators that he has been proclaimed Emperor because of the threats the republic is facing, and Padme has one of the best lines in the film as an aside, "So this is how democracy dies, to thunderous applause."  I have no recollection of what music was playing then, if any, so it's likely that it was not anything really memorable.

That music is on the album. It's from either Enter Lord Vader or Anakin's Dark Deeds. The scene is intercut with Anakin slaying the Seperatist leaders.

The final rising brass motif in Enter Lord Vader plays during the scene when Obi-Wan tells Padmé that Anakin has turned to the Dark Side, and she finds out Obi-Wan will kill him. In the film, there is an unreleased section where this motif swells even further as Anakin stands alone on a ridge outside on Mustafar after killing the Seperatist leaders.

I'm not really sure on Enter Lord Vader and Anakin's Dark Deeds anymore. I seem to remember both underscoring the Seperatist killing, one intercutting with Yoda and Obi-Wan entering the Jedi temple and the other with Palpatine declaring the Galactic empire. I'm leaning toward it being the first part of Enter Lord Vader, but now I can't rightly place Anakin's Dark Deeds anymore. :(

In the film, there is an unreleased section where this motif swells even further as Anakin stands alone on a ridge outside on Mustafar after killing the Seperatist leaders.

:(

Great! That might be my favorite new theme in the score right now.

I think I've got it now. According to elvisjones, Enter Lord Vader plays when Anakin enters the room in Mustafar. I think it was Anakin's Dark Deeds then that underscored the actual killing.

More will probably come back to me later.

Where does Grevious and the Droids play? I'm assuming it's when Obi-Wan is on Utapau, but I'm not sure. Anyone know?

Ted

It's true, track 3 is a concert suite. However, the finale of the film goes Anakin vs Obi Wan part 1, Yoda vs Emperor, Anakin vs Obi Wan part 2.

Yoda vs Palpatine is scored with Duel of the Fates, most likely the Ep I album recording. Anakin vs Obi Wan parts 1 and 2 are scored with various incarnations of the new Battle of the Heroes theme.

As was pointed out before, the track "Anakin vs Obi Wan" ends on the exact same note as the album recording of "Duel of the Fates" begins with on Ep I, so it's a perfect segue into it.

I then put the concert recording of Battle of the Heroes on after DOTF to represent the second half of the Anakin vs Obi Wan duel, which is the largest portion of it. This may not be the exact music from that sequence, but it takes its place well.

And as I said, the Yoda vs Palpatine scene was too important to leave DOTF off the album. It was my favorite scene in the film and I'm frankly amazed they didn't just put the old Ep I recording on this album, there was certainly room.

I'll update my list at the top after I see the film again tomorrow. Now that I've been listening to the album I burned for two weeks, I think I'm pretty familiar with it and should be able to hear things I didn't the first time.

The beginning flourish of brass after the title crawl plays over the clone army arriving on Utapau, coming to Obi-Wan's help.

The Arena march is tracked in a second time: It scores Anakin/Vader marching towards the temple with the clones. I found this use rather fitting :(

Is the big choral segment of BotH from track 3 in the film?So far I only hear the orchestral version in the film clips I've seen

K.M.

yes, in a later stage of the duel. In fact, in this part of the duel a great portion of BotH appears exactly as in the concert version.

And I have to say that missing section of Anakin's Dark Deeds coming before the grand closing fanfare is a reason for a complete score release on its own. Combine that with the missing parts from the finale and some other stuff (Mac vs. Palpatine!! Those repeated brass chords (like at the end of BotH, but much more savage) were breathtaking!)

Well, the missing finale part is a more subdued instrumental rendition of Qui-Gon's Funeral, plaaying over the actual funeral of Padmé. It was spine-chillingly sad.

Is there any other good finale music? What's heard when the Emperor and Vader aboard the Star Destroyer watching the construction of the Death Star? I'd assume the Imperial March, but I've been surprised with some selections.

Ted

Okay, so I'm updating my list after seeing the movie again tonight.

What I was wrong about:

-Enter Lord Vader is indeed the first half of the seperatist slaughter, not the death of Mace Windu, as I thought.

-Anakin's Dark Deeds is what plays over the Emperor announcing the end of the senate, it is intercut with the seperatist slaughter. How I forgot this is a mystery. The second half, the quieter bit, plays over Obi Wan visiting Padme and telling her that Anakin has gone to the dark side, the final flourish is for the scene of Anakin, alone, on Mustafar, having killed the seperatists.

What I was right about

-Battle of the Heroes is most definitely NOT a concert version. It plays over the whole final section of the duel on Mustafar. I've been listening to it for two weeks and can say with 95% certainty that these are identical recordings.

Another thing I was wrong about

-Duel of the Fates is not the Ep I album concert version, perhaps it is the film version off the UE of Ep I. I don't have that.

However I was right about:

-Anakin vs Obi Wan does indeed end on the same note as DOTF, allowing them to flow into each other. Until my copy of the EpI UE arrives in a few days, I'll leave my list to suggest using the album concert version. You certainly need some version of DOTF on your CD, and since the opening titles music is lifted off the EpI recording, no reason not to lift DOTF as well yourself.

Now I'll review my notes from the film and see if there's anything I'm forgetting.

Some more notes.

The second half of track 14, called Padme's Destiny, is actually the film version of the music from the creation scene of Vader. The music for Padme's funeral is a different version of this same tune.

"Lament," the choral part of Anakin's Betrayal, also plays again over the later scene where Anakin turns on Padme and chokes her, right before he duels with Obi Wan. It sounded to me a lot like the same recording.

Palpatine's Teachings is a combination of more than one cue. It would need to be cut and mixed with General Grievous, which also needs to be cut and pasted.

This early section of the film will involve a great deal of editing of the soundtrack album, and I just couldn't follow it all.

There were some alternate unreleased bits of BotH in the duel. There's a very strong rendition of it in the brass section when Anakin and Obi-Wan move onto that large girder or whatever it's called.

"Lament," the choral part of Anakin's Betrayal, also plays again over the later scene where Anakin turns on Padme and chokes her, right before he duels with Obi Wan. It sounded to me a lot like the same recording.

I think it's a different recording, as it sounded more subdued.

Is there any other good finale music? What's heard when the Emperor and Vader aboard the Star Destroyer watching the construction of the Death Star? I'd assume the Imperial March, but I've been surprised with some selections.

Ted

Yes, the Imperial March, but not in full-on militaristic mode, more along the lines of its last statement in ESB.

Just saw it - biggest note music-wise was the butchering of "A New Hope and End Credits".....there was none of the Throne Room stuff at all!!!!!!!!!

A few unreleased cues I want are:

- gorgeous reorchestration of Qui-Gon's Noble End during Padme's funeral procession

- snippet of mutated Anakin's theme during the balcony scene

- seemingly new material that comes after Lament, during the attempted attack on Yoda when he's with Chewbacca and Tarfour

Tarrful :nod:

I am the senate HAS to be the Mace - Palpy duel before anakin arrives. From the start (palpy says that line there) There is unreleased action music in that part.

Here are a few more bits of info I gleaned from seeing the movie again yesterday:

i don't think the last 2 minutes of track 1 appeared in the film anywhere - and i think they were supposed to score some business on GG's ship, but the the music was dumped - there was quite a bit of that part of the film that had no music in the final mix.

part 1 of track 13 segues directly into track 2

track 3 IS a concert arrangement of the cue in the film - the one in the film doesn't have the opening strings tremelo ostinato and doesn't have the ending winds phrase or brass crescendo

track 4 is slightly longer in the film

track 5 is an edited amalgamation of several bits from the film - riding the lizard, chasing the wheel (which was unscored in the movie i think) and obi-wan's "fist fight" with GG up until he shoots him

track 6 part 1 is the ballet source music (although another bit can be heard ending as this scene begins on the stairs outside the hall). part 2 is when Palpatine reveals to Anakin that he is Sidious. part 3 (starts around 2:38) is the end of the council scene and Anakin and Obi-Wan talking about being on the Jedi Council and spying on Palpatine. The ending was supposed to score Yoda leaving for Kashyyk (and I was wrong in a previous post - that scene is still in the movie - my memory is getting so bad!)

track 7 is for the fight on the bridge of GG's ship - only a part of it was used in the film

track 8 part 1 is the montage as ani decides to go to palp's office to stop mace from killing palp. part 2 is for the scene where Sidious bestows the name "Darth Vader" upon Anakin and tells him to kill all the Jedi. the end of this track segues into unused arena battle music from AOTC as DV marches clones to the temple

track 9 is the first sequence of ANI/OBI swordfight music, up until DOTF.

track 10 is from discovering dead kids at the temple, through killing the seps to anakin, to Obi watching security tapes of Ani's killings to telling Padme he has to swtop Ani to Ani crying on Mustafar (many segments from the film are edited out of the cd track)

track 11 immediately preceeds track 10 in the film and covers Anakin's arrival at Mustafar, Palpatine creating the Empire in the senate, and Yoda and Obi killing clones outside the Jedi Temple.

track 12 is the final scene with Ani and Obi was he burns in the lava

track 13 first half is Grievous arriving at Utapau and talking to Sidious (longer in film) and the second half is Padme departing for Mustafar.

track 14 is birth of twins and birth of Vader (longer in the film)

track 15 is the babies being taken to their homes and the end credits (including an alternate opening with different Leia music (not the from the end credits as I mistakenly cited in a previous post - oops, there goes that memory of mine again!)

So that's pretty much the CD.

I agree, there's a good portion of the beginning of track 3 and some of the end that are not in the film, but I'd still swear most of it is there. However it was such an exciting scene that it's entirely possible I wasn't focused enough on the music to notice slight differences. It sounds like you're much more familiar with the music than I am, elvisjones.

Even if I'm wrong, however, it's extremely close to what's in the film, and not some concert arrangement with little similarity to the film piece, like on some Williams albums, (Abandoned in the Woods on AI, for example)

I think it still should go where I have it on my chronological listing. There's nothing better to represent the second half of Anakin vs Obi Wan and to lead into The Immolation Scene.

Tracks 5 & 6 were always where I had trouble, they're clearly made up of multiple cues. When somebody can tell me where to slice and dice them properly, and where to put the pieces, I'll amend the list.

Also, am I right elvisjones, you're saying that track 7 should actually go after track 1 and before the first half of track 13?If so I'll make that change.

As for track 8, it sounds like the unreleased cue "I Am The Senate," for Mace vs Palpatine, would split it up. Snice nobody has it yet, I'll leave that as one track.

When I say "Anakin vs Obi Wan" ends on the same note as the opening of DOTF, I should make something clear. While this is the case with both the album and what we hear in the film, the connection points are not the same.

The long last note of track 9 makes a perfect segue into the opening note of DOTF on an album. However, in the film, the ending of track 9 is cut off and we go into DOTF when it is already going full blast. Still, in the film the two are connected by an identical note, it's just not the same connection as on my homemade album. I wanted to make that clear.