ROTS chronological

jamesluckard

I think I should be more specific about BOTH - I didn't mean to say JL was wrong about the film version versus the album version. Here is what I meant - I think JW wrote 6m9 REVENGE OF THE SITH first (and that is the version they recorded for the movie). Then he took the main body of that piece and arranged it and rerecorded it for the end titles. The he took the main body of the piece, added and intro and a coda and rerecorded it for the soundtrack album/music video/etc. So I did not mean to sound contradictory to JL, but rather to sound more specific - the majority of track 3 IS heard in the film but it is technically NOT the concert version. Much like THE FOREST BATTLE or LUKE AND LEIA from ROTJ or THE ASTEROID FIELD from ESB, three concert arrangements that appear very similiarly in the film scores but are rearranged for the album/concert versions. I think the genesis of the concert version of BOTH is indeed note-for-note the cue 6m9.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks elvisjones, you've said it much better than I was able to. I have to agree with you. I'm probably wrong about them being identical recordings, but they contain a core section that is absolutely identical.

I think the point we both are making is that BOTH is no "concert arrangement" based on a film theme, with wildly different orchestration and such, but a cue taken intact from the film, although I am sure you are right that there is a slightly altered opening and closing which I just didn't notice.

I have also revised my cue sheet again and I guess it makes more sense to have it in this thread:

Track 1: Part 1 - 1m2 Main Title (from TPM)

Part 2 - 1m3 Boys Into Battle

Part 3 - 1m4 They're Coming Around (buzz droids)

Part 4 - Grievous Material (

Part 5 - Unknown - not used in the film

Track 2: 2m6 - Scenes and Dreams

Track 3: 6m9 - Revenge of the Sith (concert version based on actual cue 6m9)

Track 4: 5m3 - Lament

Track 5: Part 1 - 3m7 Riding the Lizard (looped in the film I think)

Part 2 - 4m4 Rolling with Grievous (not all of it appears in the film)

Part 3 - 4m4a Fighting with Grievous

Part 4 - (reused 4m4 Rolling with Grievous)(edit made for the cd)

Track 6: Part 1 - 3m3 Palpatine's Big Pitch (aka "Squid Lake", source music for the Galactic Ballet)

Part 2 - 4m3 Palpatine's Seduction (Shmi's Theme over "save your wife" in office)

Part 3 - 3m1 Council Meeting (ending was tracked to much later in the film as OBI boards Tantive IV)

Track 7: Either 2m1 or 2m2 (mostly unused in the film, heard as GG blows out the window and boards his escape pod)

Track 8: Part 1 - 4m5a Padme's Ruminations

Part 2 - Either 5m1 or 5m2 (more likely 5m1 - I suspect 5m2 was replaced by tracked music)

Track 9: 6m4 Heroes Collide (shortened - first Imp March quote as Sidious zaps Yoda first time)

Track 10: Part 1 - 5m7 Anakin's Dark Deeds (choir as Anakin kills first Neimodian)

Part 2 - 6m1 It Can't Be (big finish over Anakin's tears after killing all the Separatists)

Track 11: 5m6 Moving Things Along (Vader's theme as he closes the doors)

Track 12: 7m1 The Immolation Scene

Track 13: Part 1 - 2m5 Grievous Travels to Palpatine

Part 2 - 6m2 A Moody Trip (Padme boards her shuttle for Mustafar, ponder's future while at the helm)

Track 14: Part 1 - 7m3 The Birth of the Twins (heavily edited on the CD)

Part 2 - 7m4 The Death of Padme (ends with "birth of Darth Vader")

Track 15: Part 1 - 7m7 A Home for the Twins (film has a different arrangement of Leia's theme in it)

Part 2 - 7m8 End Credits (all Throne Room material has been cut out in the film)

Many thanks elvisjones, if you can tell me where to cut up tracks 5 and 6 properly, I'll amend my list again.

If I remember right, the cut on "General Grievous" should come at 2:20, but I'll wait to hear from you.

Also, I'll add my voice to the call for a 2 disc set. I'd love to get the version of Across the Stars that plays as Padme is reunited with Anakin on Mustafar which moves into a reprise of Lament as he turns on her and chokes her. Right now that sequence seems like the most glaring omission on the album.

They could have given us the complete Birth of the Twins and Anakin vs Obi Wan,surely there's enough room for that left on the c.d.

That sounds as inexplicable as the 12 second opening missing from the PoA End Credits.Ken Whanberg:"lets snip off that great 10 second phrase here,THAT will drive those JWfan nuts!"

KM.

I also wonder about spending six minutes on that endless loop of the throne room in the end credits, that are not in the film. I get that it's meant to tie up the whole series, and I guess it's Williams's show and it's not my place to judge.

Most of all, I'm glad that the album represents mainly the final act of the film. The first 2/3 of the film gets about 5 tracks, while the finale gets 9. With minor exceptions, the whole musical journey of the last act of the film is here and once you stick DOTF in where it belongs, you can really feel the tragedy of the film from Padme's Ruminations through to the conclusion.

I do wonder, however, how anybody who has seen the film and really cared about it can listen to the album as assembled and not feel that it is terribly disjointed. I'd love to someday know the thinking behind the album order of Williams's scores, because they totally escape me. Every time one comes out, I spend hours figuring out how to reassemble it into film order. It's certainly a sign of how good his music is.

I'm nitpicky about small "beautiful" passages missing from the OST.If I hear a great version of Leia's Theme that's not on the c.d. I'll scream.

I'm already irked that there's a different version of Leia's Theme in the film version of A New Hope than what's on the c.d.To me the little clip on the c.d. is lifted directly off the concert version.Williams has done more interesting versions in the past,like when Han enters EchoBase and sees Leia in ESB and when Luke figures out she's his sister on Dagobah in RotJ.

I'm still mad Rescuing Sirius was cut off the Finale on the PoA c.d.

Anyways,what I'm getting at is that I don't mind that entire cues are missing from the OST since there's not room for everything.What pisses me off the most is when a c.d. cue has a great passage or "highlight" right in the middle of the cue that's edited out for no good reason.

K.M.

Like the part before the closing fanfare in A.D.D. ... Like the middle part of Anakin's Betrayal...

And I still wonder why they took "I Am The Senate" off the final album.

Like that awesome section in Rescuing Sarah where the T-Rexes emerge from the woods.  

It's a pain when they do that.

Or better, that first part from Rescuing Sarah that they left off the CD. Together with the Rescuing Sirius and Stealing the Stones, these are my holy grail cues. I'll only forgive Williams when they release complete scores.

1 - Star Wars Main Title and The Revenge of the Sith

0:00-1:16 1M2 Star Wars (Main Title)

1:16-3:15 1M3 Boys Into Battle (edited)

3:15-5:21 1M4 They're Coming Around?

5:21-7:31 unused?

2 - Anakin's Dream

0:00-4:46 2M6 Scenes and Dreams (edit)

3 - Battle of the Heroes

0:00-3:42 Revenge of the Sith DVD Version (concert arrangement of 6M9 Revenge of the Sith)

4 - Anakin's Betrayal

0:00-4:03 5M3 Lament

5 - General Grievous

0:00-1:21 3M7 Riding The Lizard

1:21-2:19 4M4 Rolling with Grievous

2:19-3:34 4M4A Fighting with Grievous

3:34-4:07 4M4 Rolling with Grievous (again, with clean ending)

6 - Palpatine's Teachings

0:00-3:14 4M3 Palpatine's Seduction?

3:14-5:25 3M3 Palpatine's Big Pitch?

7 - Grievous and the Droids

0:00-3:27 2M1?

8 - Padme's Ruminations

0:00-1:36 4M5A Padme's Ruminations

1:36-3:16 5M1 Palpatine Instructs Anakin?

9 - Anakin Vs. Obi-Wan

0:00-3:57 6M4 Heroes Collide (edited)

10 - Anakin's Dark Deeds

0:00-2:14 5M7 Anakin's Dark Deeds

2:14-4:05 6M1 It Can't Be

11 - Enter, Lord Vader

0:00-4:14 5M6 Moving Things Along (edited)

12 - The Immolation Scene

0:00-2:41 7M1 The Immolation Scene (unedited)

13 - Grievous Speaks to Palpatine

0:00-1:50 2M5 Grievous Travels to Palpatine

1:50-2:39 6M2 A Moody Trip

14 - The Birth of the Twins and Padme's Destiny

0:00-1:25 7M3 The Birth of the Twins (edited)

1:25-3:37 7M4 The Death of Padme

15 - A New Hope and End Credits

0:00-1:22 7M7 A Home for the Twins

1:22-13:06 7M8 End Credits

Track 8: Part 1 - 4m5a Padme's Ruminations

Part 2 - Either 5m1 or 5m2 (more likely 5m1 - I suspect 5m2 was replaced by tracked music)

All of the 'missing' slates (1M8,2M2,3M4,5M2) seem to correspond with the tracked music in the film.

3M4 is the Wookiee Battle on Kashyyyk.

5M2 is the March of the Clones as they prepare to slaughter the Jedi.

>>>6 - Palpatine's Teachings

0:00-3:14 4M3 Palpatine's Seduction?

3:14-5:25 3M3 Palpatine's Big Pitch?<<<

I think this is a more accurate breakdown of track 6:

0:00-1:38 3m3 Palpatines Big Pitch (the source music part for the the water show)

1:38-2:27 4m3 Palpatines Seduction (Shmi's theme over "save your wife")

2:27-end 3m1 Council Meeting (high strings dissonance and Vader theme as Anakin mouths off to council, the low winds as Obi and Anakin talk about spying on Palpatine, then the big finale as Yoda boards his ship for Kasshyyyk - either longer or tracked in the film in many sections)

I am absolutely sure of this

Thanks, elvisjones, for the breakdown of "Palpatine's Teachings."

Is Jim Ware's suggested breakdown for "General Grievous" correct?

5 - General Grievous

0:00-1:21 3M7 Riding The Lizard

1:21-2:19 4M4 Rolling with Grievous

1:21 seems like an odd moment to make the cut between 3M7 and 4M4. Once I have your input on where to cut this track, I'll fix my chronological listing.

Actually, regarding track 5 - the exact edit point is 1:25 - the chord that starts in the horns at 1:23 is Obi-Wan jumping down from the girders to the floor of the landing pad. The harp glissando down mickey-mouses his falling. To make a clean ending, I used VEGAS and added a reverb tail to end downbeat of his "landing".

"Rolling with Grievous" would then begin at 1:25 although in the movie it doesn't start til closer to 1:36, I believe. Then it plays through until 3:34 (with segments edited out on the cd). Again, to get a clean ending I added a reverb tail using VEGAS.

The rest of the track is Rolling repeated.

(by the way my track times are based on the original mp3s (128k) that appeared on the net pre-release - I bought the CD of course, but I still haven't ripped it to my laptop's hard drive)

So, here it is, the most current updated cue list, in chronological order, which matches my chronological track listing at the beginning of this thread:

0:00-1:16 1M2 Star Wars (Main Title) (TPM recording)

3:15-5:21 1M4 They're Coming Around?

5:21-7:31 unused?

0:00-3:27 2M1

0:00-1:50 2M5 Grievous Travels to Palpatine

2 - Anakin's Dream

2:27-end 3m1 Council Meeting

0:00-1:38 3m3 Palpatines Big Pitch

5 - General Grievous

0:00-1:25 3M7 Riding The Lizard

1:38-2:27 4m3 Palpatines Seduction

5 - General Grievous

1:25-2:19 4M4 Rolling with Grievous

8 - Padme's Ruminations

1:36-3:16 5M1 Palpatine Instructs Anakin?

4 - Anakin's Betrayal

11 - Enter, Lord Vader

10 - Anakin's Dark Deeds

9 - Anakin Vs. Obi-Wan

3 - Battle of the Heroes

0:00-3:42 Revenge of the Sith DVD Version (concert arrangement of 6M9 Revenge of the Sith)

Actually, regarding track 5 - the exact edit point is 1:25 - the chord that starts in the horns at 1:23 is Obi-Wan jumping down from the girders to the floor of the landing pad.

1:21 must have been a typo. You're right.

All of the 'missing' slates (1M8,2M2,3M4,5M2) seem to correspond with the tracked music in the film.  

3M4 is the Wookiee Battle on Kashyyyk.  

5M2 is the March of the Clones as they prepare to slaughter the Jedi.

Hyperspace cam confirms that a 3m4 and 5m2 were recorded...

This gives me pause, since knowing Williams wrote something for the Temple storming scene, he must have treated this climactic and devastating moment with care. Surely tracked music (which was appropriate for the scene it was written years ago, but not this) is no substitute for an original JW moment.

I wonder if its all talk, the way Lucas and co give such props to Johnny. Do they really think what he does is so general that they can act as JW DJ's and achieve comparable dramatic results?

Hyperspace cam confirms that a 3m4 and 5m2 were recorded...

But those cues are not listed on the recording schedule, and slates missing from that correspond with all of the tracked music in the finished film.

The part of "Revenge of the Sith" right after the Title music is used when the clones descend on Utapau as OBW is confronting Grievous.

Album breakdown, updated with corrected timings and additional notes.

0:00-1:16 1M2 Star Wars (Main Title) (TPM recording)

There is an edit at 2:34, where around two seconds have been removed. The first part of this cue (on the album) is replaced with bass drums and tracked into a later scene on Utapau.

3:15-4:46 1M4 They're Coming Around (edited)

The first 30 seconds of this cue have been removed at the 3:15 mark. In the film, this

segues to 1M4a at 4:46.

4:46-5:21 unused Grievous material

A snippet of this appears under Grievous' first appearance in reel one. It's also tracked

into his first confrontation with Obi-Wan in reel four.

5:21-7:31 unused

This could be 1M5 - 'The Elevator Sequence' which has been dialled out in the finished film.

0:00-3:27 2M1

Bits of this appear at the start of reel two and again during the Utapau battle at the

beginning of reel four. I'm not sure which it was written for.

0:00-1:50 2M5 Grievous Travels to Palpatine (edited)

A few bars have been removed at 0:51.

This cue segues into 2M6 - 'Scenes and Dreams'.

Sections of this cue are also tracked into Obi-Wan's first encounter with Grievous on Utapau at the start of reel four (without choir, interestingly).

2 - Anakin's Dream

A long sustained note has been deleted at 1:34.

A large chunk has been removed at the 1:48 mark, including the statement of 'Anakin's

Theme'.

2:27-end 3m1 Council Meeting

There are some edits here. The section underscoring Anakin's conversation with Obi-Wan

definitely has some additional music in the film, but it's also looped and tracked. Rather

confusing. This section of the film appears to have been re-edited somewhat.

0:00-1:38 3m3 Palpatines Big Pitch

Nothing to add. The film version is probably a little longer, and it segues to a

wonderfully mysterious cue as Palpatine tells the story of Darth Plagueis.

5 - General Grievous

0:00-1:25 3M7 Riding The Lizard

This is edited and looped in the film.

1:38-2:27 4m3 Palpatines Seduction

Part of a longer cue.

5 - General Grievous

1:25-2:19 4M4 Rolling with Grievous

4M4 - Rolling with Grievous is mostly dialled out in the film.

The opening and closing sections of 4M4a - Fighting with Grievous are not on the album.

8 - Padme's Ruminations

1:36-3:16 5M1 Palpatine Instructs Anakin

Nothing to add here, although the two cues are separated by 4M6 - I Am The Senate, the best

unreleased cue in the film!

4 - Anakin's Betrayal

There is an edit in here somewhere, or perhaps the film has additional choral overdubs?

11 - Enter, Lord Vader

The opening of this cue is not used in the film. Instead it's tracked with the 'He Is The

Chosen One' fanfare from the end of track 6.

The end of this cue segues into 'Anakin's Dark Deeds'.

10 - Anakin's Dark Deeds

There's a big chunk of 6M1 missing from the start of the cue. The dark fanfare at the end

is also edited on the album (the cut is at 3:31).

Nothing to add here. It's unedited on the album.

9 - Anakin Vs. Obi-Wan

Some minor trims at 0:23 and possibly 2:42. The film version is looped in a couple of

places, and has additional percussion overdubs.

3 - Battle of the Heroes

The film version of this is a different recording, with a shorter opening (no horn

statements of the theme) and a shorter ending (resembling the 'End Credits' version).

Nothing to add.

There's a big chunk of 7M3 missing from the start of this track.

7M4 is unedited.

The album version of 7M7 appears to be an alternate.

The best of the unreleased cues:

1M4a - Get 'Em R2!

Furious space battle cue, with the rebel fanfare! Mixed way too low in the film. It also features the 'scorpion dance' that was previously thought to be the temp track.

1M7 - The Death of Dooku

Energetic, brassy cue. Far more interesting than I was expecting it to be.

3M5 - Goodbye Old Friend

3M6 - Going to Utapau

4M6 - I Am the Senate

Lengthy cue (around six minutes) with anguished statements of the force theme, dissonant string tremolos and punchy staccato brass stabs.

5M4 - Swimming, Droids and Yoda Farewell

The best statement of Yoda's theme in the prequels.

6M3 - Padme's Visit

Includes a wonderful orchestral version of 'Lament'.

The whole of reel seven. Severely truncated on the album, it's thirteen minutes of continuous music in the film.

Some other observations...

1M8 is tracked with Escape from Naboo from TPM.

2M2 is tracked with Battleship Destroyed from TPM.

3M4 is tracked with The Arena from Clones, The Senate, The Big Army, The Armies Face Off and Laser Fight March from TPM.

5M2 is tracked with The Arena.

6M5 is the TPM recording of Duel of the Fates (orchestra only) overdubbed with a new recording of the choir (hence the 'choir only' listing on the recording schedule).

jimware, I've got a question. When you say that 6M5 is the TPM orchestral recording of DOTF, do you mean the album recording or, I suspect, the film recording, which I assume is on the Ultimate Edition, (which I ordered from Amazon a few days ago.) I want to be sure I put the most accurate info possible in my list atop this thread.

I'm so glad you figured out that the orchestral and choir recordings on that cue were blended from old and new versions, that explains a lot.

It's almost certainly the Phantom Menace album recording. Orchestra and choir were recorded separately for that version. For the other unused versions orchestra and choir were recorded together.

Incidentally, the opening fanfare Duel of the Fates fanfare isn't used in Revenge of the Sith; it goes straight into the five note ostinato.

I nominate Jim Ware to create a page with all of his info in one convenient location!

Nice job, Jim!

a couple of obs -

-not a correction, but more detail: the LAMENT sequence in the film includes some slightly comical music for Yoda climbing onto Chewbacca's back - either this was tracked after the mix or, more likely, trimmed from the cd.

-my personal opinion is that track 7 GRIEVOUS AND THE DROIDS was written for the top of reel 2 - the moments that do appear in the film seem so tailored to what's happening on screen that I don't think they were tracked in there. Also, although I haven't run it against picture, the ending seems like it could underscore the dialogue as Anakin sits down and begins to pilot the ship.

-i think all the live action of the wookie scenes was shot after the film had been spotted (and was not even directed by GL but by Rob Coleman (director of animation)). so the fact that they are tracked seems to me to be similar to the Geonosis battle in AOTC. It sounds like the info gleaned from Hyperspace backs this up.

-nice catch on the DOTF choir thing!

can someone please give me track names from other star wars soundtracks of music used in rtevenge of the sith and where they were played at in revenge of the sith. also what is this 1m8 3m2 i don't understand those? please explain, thanks!

1m8 - reel 1, cue number 8

3m2 - reel 3, cue number 2

etc...

I'd really be interested in seeing a concise list of tracked music as well, but unfortunately I'm not as familiar with the music of the last two prequels as others are, so I wouldn't be able to assemble such a list.

I'm especially curious about the use of the Arena March during Anakin's entry to the Jedi Temple before the massacre. Which recording is this?

The album version of 7M7 appears to be an alternate.

I don't think it's all an alternate, just another CD edit. There's a huge chunk in between the opening flourish and the statement of Leia's theme missing on the CD. After that I think it played as it is on the CD.

Also, does anyone recall the exact portion of DotF that's used in the Yoda/Palpy duel? I'm thinking about putting that into my film edit, but I don't want to use the whole concert piece.

So, is this then finally another Williams End Credits Finale that does not contain tracked music? Or is the film version tracked?

There is no tracked music. On the other hand, there is no original music save for a few short bridges. Just re-recordings.

A couple of quick notes.

Track 1, 5:21-7:31 is confirmed as the unused 1M5 The Elevator Scene.

Track 7 is confirmed as 2M1.

Both cues sync with the film perfectly. I'll post more details on that later.

Coming soon: complete cue list with timings!

Jim Ware updated his list on the Main Page. Now I'm confused about the Grievous snippet in Track 1: Does it belong:

- in the opening sequence, thus after the cue where Obi-Wan jumps out of his cockpit and before the Elevator sequence (cf Jim Ware)

- in Obi-Wan's duel with Grievous (Crossed Swords) (cf Cerrabore's cue list)?

It belongs in the opening sequence (it's the first part of 1M5, intended to underscore Grievous' discussion with the trade federation pilot and the two Jedi encountering the destroyer droids), but was tracked into the Obi-Wan/Grievous sequence.

Something is off about Padme's Funeral cue.It seems that it was not composed to go in this scene.Why is there a swelling version of the Force theme as we see a Star Destroyer in space and cut to the view of the death star in construction?

K.M.

Jim Ware updated his list on the Main Page. Now I'm confused about the Grievous snippet in Track 1: Does it belong:  

- in the opening sequence, thus after the cue where Obi-Wan jumps out of his cockpit and before the Elevator sequence (cf Jim Ware)  

- in Obi-Wan's duel with Grievous (Crossed Swords) (cf Cerrabore's cue list)?

It belongs in the opening sequence (it's the first part of 1M5, intended to underscore Grievous' discussion with the trade federation pilot and the two Jedi encountering the destroyer droids), but was tracked into the Obi-Wan/Grievous sequence.
Yep, I asked Jim Ware about this. Updated OST + videogame list is coming soon.

Thank god i thought it fitted so well with that scene that i left it in the opening battle, otherwise i may have to burn it it again...

Anyway i now have it tracked in the Grievous duel, but it also fit so well i dont care ;) , better more than less....

For the record, in case anyone was curious, I AM putting together a comprehensive score breakdown/analysis along the lines of what I did for AOTC. Expect it soon.