Are you suprised by how good ROTS soundtrack is?

hoby12

Are you surprised by how good the ROTS soundtrack is?  

51 members have voted

1. 1.

• Yes
    • No
    • No, 'cuz it stinks.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For me, the AOTC score evokes bad memories of the film and stops me from enjoying it. AOTC is certainly not one of JW's strongest scores IMO, but I think that the fact that every time I hear Anakin and Padme or The Meadow Picnic, I remember the awkward scenes that the music underscores.

Very honest. I believe this is where most of the score bashing comes from.

Not in my case. I was disappointed by the music from the first moment I played the CD, at least three weeks before the movie came out as I remember. In fact I think the film AOTC holds up rather better than the score (wooden, expressionless acting aside).

In fact I think the film AOTC holds up rather better than the score (wooden, expressionless acting aside).

I can agree with that.

today as I mowed my lawn, I could hear parts of ROTS in my head, its been awhile since a Star Wars score did that.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been hoping for an expansion or more exposition of the Force Theme (not necessarily a concert version or something), and this score did exactly that ... which is nice.

Sorry to dig up a dead horse, but I thought I would add my 2cents into the mix.

I intentionally didn't listen to the score to ROTS before the movie came out because frankly, I like to be surprised in the theater (And believe me, nothing is better than sitting in a theater waiting for the Movie to start all the while knowing that a score from John Williams is fastly approaching).

I am surprised how much this score is climbing on my list of appreciation. I predict that when the chips all fall in the future, this will be one of JW's remembered scores (academically and by the fans). To me its a unique score that effectively bridges the Prequels and the Classic Trilogy - both thematically and in mood. You can hear the highly syncopated action cues of the CT weaving in and out of the film, yet you can also hear the sweeping elegance that JW has infused into the prequels (Qui-Gon's Funeral theme, Across the Stars). There are some really moving original themes in this score and the fact that they weave so seamlessly with fundamental themes from the CT is something that still continues to surprise me (Anakin's Betrayal, Padme's Ruminations, The Immolation Scene -> definitely now some of JW's best cues ever!).

Battle of the Heroes when listened to on its own doesn't evoke the same feelings as when pictured with the corresponding scene in the movie. Now when I listen to the cue, I can picture the intensive duel between Anakin and Obi-Wan and translate what I remember seeing on the screen to what i'm hearing. This is something that i've always done with Star Wars and it makes the music that much powerful to me.

So yes you can say that I was surprised by how good the score was. I knew it was going to be good, but not THIS good. And as I said before, this is one that will be remembered - heck, I guarantee this score has spawned a whole new legion of JW fans. All my friends and younger cousins who have hitherto been oblivious to Soundtracks (and Classical Music in general) have now all been coming up to me and asking me questions about the Score since they know I am a John Williams nut. Of course I am more than happy to introduce them to John Williams' other works ("You mean he did ALL those movies?!?!?") and the concept of the leitmotiff. Hopefully i've started them off on a journey that I know has been enjoyable to me.