The Guess the Screenshot game

Blood it is. I re-watched that yesterday, which gave me the idea for a ship-themed quiz.

There's no Bounty among these (because unfortunately I haven't seen a single version of that so far). But I can imagine you may still have seen that ship in Sydney.

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10. Monty Python and the Holy Grail (I think, I don't remember it being that dark, but the ship looks right)

23. Star Trek: Generations

And I think #18 is the Interceptor from the PotC movies, but I don't know which one.

King Kong is correct.

10. Monty Python and the Holy Grail (I think, I don't remember it being that dark, but the ship looks right)

D'oh, there's a ship in that one. I forgot. There's no Python movie among these.

The era is roughly correct though, and that ship is sailing for England.

23. Star Trek: Generations

Correct.

And I think #18 is the Interceptor from the PotC movies, but I don't know which one.

I have none of the PotC movies, ergo there are no screenshots of those. Also, take the aspect ratio into account.

There's no Bounty among these (because unfortunately I haven't seen a single version of that so far). But I can imagine you may still have seen that ship in Sydney.

I'm convinced it's the same ship. Look at this picture and tell me it ain't so! :P

If it isn't from The Bounty, I'm going to guess it's from the TV movie version of Moby Dick, as suggested by my good friend Mr. Google.

24 is definitely The Truman Show. As for the rest of the unsolved, the only guess I'd have is number 20 being Rosencrantz & Guildenstern Are Dead.

24 is definitely The Truman Show. As for the rest of the unsolved, the only guess I'd have is number 20 being Rosencrantz & Guildenstern Are Dead.

Both correct. R&C is too low-budget to have a shot of the full ship, apparently, so the only way to make a recogniseable screencap was to have one with Roth and Oldman on it... :)

And yes, the "Tomorrow" is of course from Children of Men.

No Midway among these (haven't seen it).

Still open: 1, 2, 4, 7, 8, 10, 12, 17, 21, 22.

An assortment of wild and educated guesses:

2: Ben Hur?

4: Carlito's Way?

8: Pirates of The Carribbean 1?

12: The Hunt for Red October?

21: The Sea Hawk?

22: Titanic?

I suspect that mine is not going to be solved any time soon. I guess myself and ?-Man are the only ones here who've seen the great Shine a Light (Maybe Koray savas, too, I don't recall). The rest of you, see it.

BTW Marian- major kudos on the massive thematic posting! I'm just sorry I couldn't partake sooner. :)

P.S. Did we ever solve Hitch's last castle shot? I believe he hinted to it being from a Bond film, but I don't recall finding out which one.

D'oh, the Clinton comment should have given it away. My DVD is still wrapped, but I have seen Shine a Light theatrically. And no, Hitch's is still unsolved.

Ben Hur, Carlito's Way (very good!), Red October (very good, too) and Sea Hawk are correct. No POTC movies and no Titanic in these screenshots. 4 out of 6 is quite good for guesswork though. :)

Hint: They're all in alphabetical order.

I suspect that mine is not going to be solved any time soon. I guess myself and ?-Man are the only ones here who've seen the great Shine a Light (Maybe Koray savas, too, I don't recall). The rest of you, see it.

Looking at it now, I remember that scene, but only because you've said what it's from.

Has anybody picked up the dvd? It's not out over here yet and I want to know if it has any more behind the scenes stuff

I rented it. It's dissapointing...I was hoping for much more extensive Bonus material. As it stands, it includes 4 bonus songs, and a 15 (or so) minute featurette, which is really more of the same behind the concert footage, without any particular structure. I loved it, but it's way too little.

Contact is correct.

I rented it. It's dissapointing...I was hoping for much more extensive Bonus material. As it stands, it includes 4 bonus songs, and a 15 (or so) minute featurette, which is really more of the same behind the concert footage, without any particular structure. I loved it, but it's way too little.

Yes, before the DVD was announced, I was expecting tons of bonus material - with all those brief interview snippets in the film, Scorsese must have shot a wealth of material.

And there's STILL no actual performance of Shine a Light (the song) on it! When I was already annoyed that in a film with the title, only a brief excerpt plays over the final shot before the credits. At least it's on the album.

Is 10 The 13th Warrior? It's the only live-action Viking movie I recall seeing and/or enjoying, so I won't guess that recent one with Karl Urban.

Might also be a Roman/Greek galley in case that front masthead isn't Viking. Kinda hard to tell without "knowing" what film it's from.

There's no Viking movie. All four of these are based on previously written texts, the first three written before the 20th century and also of British origin. The fourth is by a much-filmed American writer and contains my favourite score by that particular composer. 10 & 17 have the same author, and 10 also has something in common with one of the more obscure movies (which has already been solved).

Hitch might be singing The Sound of Music somewhere in the Austrian alps right now?

If they are in alphabetical order, how is it that 9 is Jaws and 11 is Hook?

Stabs in the dark ('cause I'm at work, for one thing)--

10. Hamlet

17. Merchant of Venice

22. Sphere

If they are in alphabetical order, how is it that 9 is Jaws and 11 is Hook?

That's a stupid mistake on my part. :unsure:

Stabs in the dark ('cause I'm at work, for one thing)--

10. Hamlet

17. Merchant of Venice

22. Sphere

All correct, actually! Bonus points if you can tell me which version of Hamlet it is. (I have two on DVD, aside from Rosencrantz & Guildenstern, but the other one doesn't seem to show a ship)

Seeing on how I'm at work, I gonna guess Kenny's version. (If I was at home, I'd check, and I guessed Hamlet based on Merchant.)

And it was my co-worker who figured out the "not-in-alphabetical order". She was the county spelling bee champion.

And then there was one... but it's not be Agatha Christie. Based on a work by a British subject written before the twentieth century and its title is between Contact and Jaws.

Hmmm, when was Horatio Hornblower written?

Seeing on how I'm at work, I gonna guess Kenny's version. (If I was at home, I'd check, and I guessed Hamlet based on Merchant.)

Kenny's version is the one where I couldn't find any ships. But it's quite close already.

And it was my co-worker who figured out the "not-in-alphabetical order". She was the county spelling bee champion.

I think I took them out of my shelf in that order. I know that when putting it back, I was confused because something wasn't right.

And then there was one... but it's not be Agatha Christie. Based on a work by a British subject written before the twentieth century and its title is between Contact and Jaws.

Hmmm, when was Horatio Hornblower written?

I don't know, but it's not it. it's not a tale about ships or seas, anyway. The ship is just used to bridge the distance between the famous setting of the books first and last part, and England.

PS: Koray's doesn't show up, I had to open it separately. Couldn't place it.

Not to divert from the last remaining pic, and I'm looking forward to Morlock's new batch, but this should be easy anyway... I just watched this:

screenshot_25.png

The movie offered lots of opportunities for screenshots that would be harder to guess, but I just loved this one too much.

Judging by the shadow, I would assume it's M, but Lorre's face isn't nearly puffy enough. I don't think Lorre was ever in that position in The Maltese Falcon. And the only other B&W movie I've seen him in is Casablanca, but I don't recall that shot. Still, Casablanca is my guess.

Judging by the shadow, I would assume it's M, but Lorre's face isn't nearly puffy enough. I don't think Lorre was ever in that position in The Maltese Falcon. And the only other B&W movie I've seen him in is Casablanca, but I don't recall that shot. Still, Casablanca is my guess.

Nope, it's neither of those. Keep them in mind though, 'cause I'm about to order two of them. :P It's actually (slightly) newer than all you mentioned, and despite the shadow play, it's not directed by Curtiz.

I'm going to make a guess here.....and it is a pure guess as I've never seen this version.....by "Panama" do you mean the "Panama Canal"? If so - is this possibly "Arsenic and Old Lace"? Are those the dreaded cellar stairs?

I'm going to make a guess here.....and it is a pure guess as I've never seen this version.....by "Panama" do you mean the "Panama Canal"? If so - is this possibly "Arsenic and Old Lace"? Are those the dreaded cellar stairs?

It's definitely A&OL. Just watched it a few weeks ago. Poor Doctor Einstein.

Is the second one Masters of the Universe?

Jamesyboy - who subjected his kids to that film a few days ago and they will never be the same...

And guesses for the other 2...Darkman and Ghostbusters II.