Revenge of the Sith Oscar predictions

King Mark

Not having seen the movie yet and only juging by the trailers and music video,I can confidently proclaim RotS will be nominated for:

Best Visual Effects

Best Costume Design

Best Sound Editing

Best Score

Best Supporting Actor:Ian Mc Diarmid

K.M.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know about the best supporting actor part, but surely the visual effects will be rewarded. When looking back in oscar rewarding history, I don't think one of the most prestigious oscar is awarded to any of the actors. It's unfortunate but probably for the better, because the acting is not the best I ever seen. This goes especially to Haiden, but let's not discuss this now!

I think the oscars will be mainly focussed on the special effects. And of course a reward for our good old John, for his efforts in the six episodes, this means an oscar for best score inevitably!

Mark

I expect at least a nom for Score -- I really hope JW gets it , and obviouslly he deserves it, but who knows :thumbup:

You really think a best score nomination is a possibility??? Why now? I thought the Star Wars movies are never gonna be nominated for Best Score again.

:thumbup:

Not having seen the movie yet and only juging by the trailers and music video,I can confidently proclaim RotS will be nominated for:

Best Visual Effects

Best Costume Design

Best Sound Editing

Best Score

K.M.

YOU HAVE A SERIOUS DRUG OR ALCOHOL PROBLEM, YOU NEED TO SEEK HELP.

DO TO THE NATURE OF THIS BOARD WE ARE UNABLE TO DO AN INTERVENTION ON YOU

BUT YOU NEED HELP.

It´ll probably end up with a nomination for "Best Visual Effects", maybe with "Best Costume Design" amd "Sound Editing"(it´s not that bad this time), but there´s no chance for McDiarmid or Johnny´s Score (since they use a portion of recycled music, which is forbidden, isn´t it?)

no its not forbidden, but its not worthy of a best score nod, though its a good score.

I haven't seen the movie,so how would I know.

K.m.

its your thread.

I hope this time it wins SFX.

Just seeing the trailers, it deserves it.

About score? Well they could be rewarding Johnny by the entire saga, as they did with ROTK...

I think Visual Effects will win for sure this year, although it may depend on how GoF and/or Batman looks.

I think whether JW gets nominated for RotS may depend on how good WotW is. It's very likely that JW gets nominated for Memoirs plus another score this year -- either WotW or RotS. I don't think he'll get three nominations.

The score won't be nominated. WAAAAAYYYY too much tracked music.

true...at least the tracked music "kind of" fit the action onscreen this time :music:

I WISH McDiarmid would get the nod. But he won't even be nominated. He's brilliant and you can tell that he really enjoyed the juicy evil of his role. To me, he IS Star Wars. Well, that and the music. :music:

It'll most probably get VFX and SFX. IMO, it hasn't got the slightest chance at getting the supporting actor nod (not that I'd mind it). Possibly some combination of costume/makeup/set design. Score, almost certainly not, as much as I'd be pleased with it's nomination.

I'm sorry.. but I'm gonna go off on one of my "John williams is the best" fits now...

John Williams is the Best!!! When you listen to the scores that he comes out with and compare it to any other score that other film composers are coming out with these days... the difference in musical genius and the quality of music is just immense! I just really honestly cannot believe he's not winning Oscars for some of his GREAT GREAT GREAT recent scores... the Star Wars Trilogy, and Harry Potter for starters... Do you see any other film composers coming out with music of this calibur? NO! And what about AI... so damn beautiful ,, and the intelligent genius score for Minority Report... And what's with the lack of recognition for The Terminal... it's beautifully genius.. and Catch me if you can!! Anyway,, I digress.. My point is, John Williams just constantly produces the most amazing music that I will ever have the honour of listening to in my life.. and yet.. he fails to get that recognition from the Academy...

And Imagine if you were John Williams.. and in all honesty, despite John's modesty, he knows he is by far the best really -- so think how demotivated and generally upset he must feel to constantly see other composers being awarded over him -- you could see he was dissapointed at the last Awards ceremony with PoA...

And now RoTS... an Amazing AMAZING Score... and I love it to pieces... if they dont award him for this, or at least for the whole prequel Trilogy then I just haven't got a clue what they're doing. I really don't.. I just can't stop thinking how utterly stunningly brilliant John William's scores are..

*sigh*

I'll go now :nod:

*walks away*

I'll be so disappointed if JW doesn't get the Oscar for this, I almost started crying during the Star Wars revisits (binary sunset), the music played in so perfectly, the orchestra loved it, you can tell... It was all so perfect, and now I understand why "General Grievous" sounded like The Lost World :nod: Never have Kashyyyk been portrayed with such a.... Jurassic fauna :(

I did react on the tracked music though, thought it was a little too much to be honest...

Funny...after last night I would have said zero nominations, but after seeing it digital I'll say Visual FX and Sound...but that's it...and that is NOMINATIONS only.

As far as performance, Ewan was the star...but no oscar nod for him.

I would say, and I am being generous:

Visual Effects

Sound Effects

Sound Effects Editing

No performance from this film could possibly get a nomination by a long shot, unless they killed off all other competition in Hollywood, and even then it would only be for the sake of holding an awards show.

McDiarmids role was good, but far from Oscar worthy. I think fans are really over rating his performance and all to eager to heap praise on it. Villains typically don't get nominations simply because there acting is often too hammy or so over the top that it borders on just plain silly. Based on the kind of dialogue this film has, we're talking Razzies, not Oscars. It's pretty difficult to judge good acting when you're stnad out "actor" is a 3 foot tall green digital image. The acting and dialogue are too wooden and weak to support a stand out performance.

Look at the past few years when Oscar nominations are even announced. Most of hte films are released in the 4th quarter of the year, as far as films that vie for Picture, actor, screenplay, actress and the majopr awards. Technical awards typically are nominated to bigger budgeted films with technical credits. To say that a Star Wars film is worthy of any kind of Best Acting award (Alec Guinees aside, and even then) is someone who has not yet gotten a full grasp of the wide range of what a great performance truly is. How can you act when all of your sets and cast is mostly CGI? There is no craft involved, and it makes delivery that much more distracting when FX steal the show.

I doubt very, very much this will even see the possiblity of an Oscar nomination. I love William's work to death and all, but there is not enough original material here to work with, with too many recycled themes and previously used tracks. The last two films didn't get nominations and they were not bad, and this film barely makes the mark above TPM.

Plus, it is "Best Original Score", not "Best Original Score based on mostly previosuly used material." I have doubts this would even be eligible for consideration based on what I have heard in the film. Look at the end credits alone. They used more than half recycled material from the previous films.

If some of Williams past works did not get wins, let alone nominations, then how could this one possibly do one better, even when you have true Star Wars fans saying that this effort is pretty weak? Sure, some will defend to the death the score and love it in all its glory, and thats fine. But it all sounds different to everyone and depends on how you see it in the film itself. I for one thought it was fine and fit the film well, but did not walk away with any memorable themes anything that struck me as significant.

Besides that, nothing else in the film seems worthy of Oscar consideration. How can you even think to nominate costume design when half the visible cast is CGI? That makes no sense at all. Production design too, when all the sets are CGI. Same with Cinematography and editing. It is a technical stand out, but so were the other films for there time.

Sure the music sounds good, but when you put $150 million into a film, what do you expect? Especially when you have a great composer and orchestra

This is an effects driven film you must remember. I can not remember a sci fi or effects heavy film receiving an Oscar nomination for acting honors that deserved it. I mean, the last two Star Wars films received Razzy nominations across the board. This one may be spared that fate, but it seems the only thing that improves with time is the level of FX they can come up with, not the acting.

A rather long post, but I just think that this thread was created after having seen the film and someone was all to eager to give the film more credit and accolade than it should have. We all know where the merit and awards truly lie, which is where they have been in the previous 5 films. Music aside, these are effects driven fantasy films, and are techincal stand outs, nothing else. I honestly cannot possibly say:

Best Visual Effects  

Best Costume Design  

Best Sound Editing  

Best Score  

How can you possibly judge a film based on a "trailer" and "music video" that it can even get those nominations, even though you have not seen the film? And you confidently proclaim too. I hope you would not stand by those thoughts the rest of the year, but also take th time to look at other films that will clearly demonstrate where creative talent in those areas truly lies.

Granted these are your "predictions", but you must know little or nothing about how marketing and film awards work, because that is how they want you to think, that a trailer that shows 2 minuts of footage will determine the entire film. Remember Pearl Harbor? Alexander? Troy? Kingdom of Heaven? Even the last two Star Wars films? Didn't they all look good in trailer form, and people thought they would be huge blockbusters? I rest my point. Don't be so easy to hand out judgment on a film just because it is Star Wars. The traile hardly seels the film for me, it never has. I have seen all kinds of trailer,s each more over the top than the last and each trying to hit you hard with effects, music, and sound. And guess what? The finished product typically can never deliver.

Once the hype dies down and people settle down after having seen it, they will realize that they were a little overzealous in there initial opinions and realize that it is after all just a movie, not matter how great it seems at first.......

Oscar Schmoscar. I'd rather Williams submit a score that leans less on previously established themes. Geisha is going to be a good bet for him this year for a nomination.

No performance from this film could possibly get a nomination by a long shot, unless they killed off all other competition in Hollywood, and even then it would only be for the sake of holding an awards show.

McDiarmids role was good, but far from Oscar worthy.

I think it is and I wouldn't be surprised if Ian gets nominated (unless you have to be a member of some union or something). Amidst all the blue and green screens, SFX and other distracting stuff, Ian more than stood his ground. In fact, he was electrifying. He steals the show.

Of course, in a year everyone will have forgotten about it.

----------------

Alex Cremers

now I understand why "General Grievous" sounded like The Lost World :) Never have Kashyyyk been portrayed with such a.... Jurassic fauna :P

Utapau.

Luke, who loved the pterodactyls and the lizards.

now I understand why "General Grievous" sounded like The Lost World :) Never have Kashyyyk been portrayed with such a.... Jurassic fauna :P

Utapau.

Luke, who loved the pterodactyls and the lizards.

yeah, sorry, I mixed them up... damn, too much going on :P

How can you possibly judge a film based on a "trailer" and "music video" that it can even get those nominations, even though you have not seen the film? And you confidently proclaim too. I hope you would not stand by those

Obviously you haven't been around too long.It's just some semi-joking post I came up with since no one brought it up before.

K.M.Who will see the film...tomorrow :)