BOTH - not a concert version

Just saw it again after listening to the album a great deal over the last two weeks. The recording of Battle of the Heroes on the soundtrack album is NOT a concert version. Maybe it was only intended as one when Williams recorded it in February, but in the film as released it scores the whole second half of the Anakin vs Obi Wan duel, after the Yoda vs Palpatine duel.

I'm usually pretty good at noticing differences in recordings and I'd say I'm 95% sure they're identical.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The version performed by the Royal Philharonic on 16th May was very close - if not identical - to the recording (minus the voices - the brass took many of the voice sections).

The version performed by the Royal Philharonic on 16th May was very close - if not identical - to the recording (minus the voices - the brass took many of the voice sections).

Thats very interesting...

elvisjones, who seems to know the music extremely well, says he heard things in the film version that are different from track 3. It's always possible that I'm wrong, but even if I am, track 3 is extremely close to what is in the film, and is not like some Williams concert arrangements (Abandoned in the Woods, for example) which are enormously different from the film versions. The differences, if they exist, are small.

Battle of the Heroes always sounded like something that existed in the film but was made into a concert track for the purpose of promotion. The force theme inclusion, in particular, seemed to give that away. And after hearing it in the film, that seems to be confirmed since the music works pretty closely with the film, IMO, something that doesn't usually happen that well when music gets tracked.

I think the initial statment of BotH was added for the concert piece and the final part, as well, going from my memory of what wasn't in the film.

- Adam