Why is it Revenge of the Sith?

JoeinAR

why do the Sith need revenge?

what have the Jedi done to them, they barely know they exist.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm guessing they were hunted down by the Jedi a long time ago for their Evil ways.Do they talk about the Sith history in RotS?

K.M.

EU term. At least that is when it is first mentioned in story form. I think either the comics or in Zahn's trilogy. Just like Coruscant.

It's mentioned in the star wars novelization, in 1976, where it describes Darth Vader as a Dark Lord of the Sith. The word if first spoken in the movies by Qui Gon, in TPM.

Yes. It was in the script to Star Wars.

This whole thing is pretty vague. In AotC Windu mentions the Mystery of the Sith. I was a bit confused by that when I saw the film again this week. I figured it might be explained in RotS. But it wasn't. :P

It is said at one point in Revenge that Siths once ruled the universe.

Obviously, the Jedi overthrew them and thought they had gotten rid of them, except for Darth "Previous" (I don't remember his name), who transmitted all his knowledge to Darth Sidious.

And what does the European Union have to do with this? :b

What is this EU you're referring to, please?

Expanded Universe :P

"The Sith did extinct/were extinguished a millennia ago" - Jedi Master Ki-Adi-Mundi.

"Always two there are, a master and an apprentice" - Jedi Master Yoda.

"The Sith will AGAIN rule the galaxy" - Chancellor/Emperor Palpatine.

The Jedi Know what the sith are, they just didnt know they were still arround until TPM.

The Sith were once rulers of the Galaxy.

Do you need anything more, Joe? I didnt thought you were a geek ;)

The mystery of the Sith was said by Mace in TPM, and it was refered to Qui-Gon who must travel to naboo to uncover the mistery of this new sith warrior he encountered on tatooine.

The linernotes that camev with the original 1977 2 LP release of Star Wars refer to Darth Vader as Dark Lord Of The Sith.

Also, in these liners John Williams calls what is generally called The Imperial Theme Darth Vader's theme. :P

Obviously, the Jedi overthrew them and thought they had gotten rid of them, except for Darth "Previous" (I don't remember his name), who transmitted all his knowledge to Darth Sidious.

That is nto quite true. There were many many Sith pairs before Sidious and his master/apprentices.

gotten rid of them, except for Darth "Previous" (I don't remember his name), who transmitted all his knowledge to Darth Sidious.

Hahaha.

He was called Darth Obvious, no Darth Callous, no wait I'll remember uhm...Darth Tedious. Yeah, that was his name. :P

Or was it Darth Funghius?

Why did the Sith Lord destroy the universe? Because he was a Funghi.

;)

why do the Sith need revenge?

what have the Jedi done to them, they barely know they exist.

BTW, at first I thought you asked 'Why Revenge of the Sith'?

Which would have been a fair question. :P

In TPM, Darth Maul says:

"At last we will reveal ourselves to the Jedi. At last we will have revenge."

Basically it all boils down to some mooning joke gone awry three thousand years before. Those guys have no sense of humor.

In TPM, Darth Maul says:

"At last we will reveal ourselves to the Jedi. At last we will have revenge."

Basically it all boils down to some mooning extravaganza gone awry three thousand years before.

Hehe. Is that why they have those cloaks?

Yes. They hide in dark alleys on Coruscant.

"Hey baby, wanna see my lightsaber?"

With a face like Maul's, you would prefer to look at his lightsaber wouldn't you.

Hmm, I wonder if his *BEEP* has tatoes and spikes on it as well.

"Not tonight Maul, I've got a headache!"

"Hey look at my head, you think this is comfortable?" :P

We are clearly heading into your field of expertise, I see, The Prick vs The DD.

:P

With a name like mine, you should know better than to 'head' in this direction!

;)

Not to kill the joke thread but in the interest of answering the question...

I'm not as well versed in the EU as Miguel or others, but I know that the Jedi and Sith have been fighting off and on for thousands of years. The game Knights of the Old Republic takes place 4000 years or so before the movies, and at that time the Sith were an entire order much like the Jedi, dedicated to the mastery of the Dark Side. At one point you even travel to the Sith Academy on Korriban. The Sith were also a political/military organization then, run by the Sith Lords, who were the ones trained in and had mastered the Force. The war that takes place is the Republic (more or less run by the Jedi at this time the way the game tells it) vs. the Sith.

I also remember reading somewhere that after their worst defeat by the Jedi the surviving Sith Lord decided that from then on there would only be two at a time: a master and apprentince.

The Sith order is also highly unstable, even with the master/apprentice hierarchy. It's an uneasy, not-so-symbiotic relationship that requires both to exist in order for the Sith to thrive. Yet at all times, both want absolute power for themselves by getting rid of the other.

Dooku should have known the master/apprentice thing. So when general Grievous joined, it would have rung a bell - like in, uh-oh, one too many.

He was trained by Dooku in the Jedi arts, but he was not taught any of the knowledge of the Sith. Nor was Asajj Ventress, who identified herself as a Sith in Clone Wars, but was only a warrior who had left the Jedi Order.

That is nto quite true. There were many many Sith pairs before Sidious and his master/apprentices.

What I meant is that Darth Previous and Darth Sidious were believed to be the last ones.

There was a battle 3000-4000 years before the films in which all the Sith but one, Darth Bane, were killed in a huge battle (I think it was the one on Ruusan, from the Jedi Knight game). Bane decided that from then on, there would only be two Sith, a master and an apprentice.

I think Darth Sidious wanted revenge because he wanted the siths to ruled the universe again. Only way he can ruled the universe again is to become a chanceller from the Republic as he did in TPM with help from Anakin Skywalker. Since then the Republic was now under the control of the Dark Lords of the Sith, which makes the Jedi Council finds it hard to believe at first.

As long as we're on this topic, what about Exar Kun? (in the EU, I think first appearing in Kevin J Anderson's "Jedi Academy Trilogy") And who was the dark Jedi that Yoda battled on Dagobah? Was he a Sith? Did he have a name? (a creation of Timothy Zahn, in "Vision of the Future" I think, but theoretically he died in the cave and that's why "domain of evil it is?")

Why two? In-fighting. If I remember right, Lucas explained that the Sith fought each other for dominance and pretty much killed themselves off. They had to implement a Master/Apprentice relationship to keep some control in place to keep their existence. Even so, there's still a power-struggle. Sidious pretty much leaves his apprentices out to dry. Poor Maul. Dooku really got the shaft. Vader too was only to last as long as he had usefulness. And Vader also clearly tells of his intentions to overthrow the Emperor and rule the galaxy with Padme and later with Luke.

"Revenge of the Sith" a childish moniker???? After a title like "The Phantom Menace", I find no room to complain. Besides, this title is an off-shoot to the original title for ROTJ- "Revenge of the Jedi" Seeing the obvious parallel storylines in place, the title seems appropriate.

Mr. K

"Revenge of the Sith" a childish moniker????  After a title like "The Phantom Menace", I find no room to complain.  Besides, this title is an off-shoot to the original title for ROTJ- "Revenge of the Jedi"  Seeing the obvious parallel storylines in place, the title seems appropriate.

Attack of the Clones is also a more fitting title for this movie than for the second film, since they actaully do attack in this one.

Neil

"Revenge of the Sith" a childish moniker????  After a title like "The Phantom Menace", I find no room to complain.  Besides, this title is an off-shoot to the original title for ROTJ- "Revenge of the Jedi"  Seeing the obvious parallel storylines in place, the title seems appropriate.

Attack of the Clones is also a more fitting title for this movie than for the second film, since they actaully do attack in this one.

Neil

Star Wars, what a great name, but what happens? Tattoine in the first place has two suns. Then we have alderaan's, Yavin's, Dantooine's, Coruscant's and the Death Star. The war takes place on several stars. Not a proper name. Galaxy Wars would been perfect. I still prefer Star Wars, anyway. Needless to say that using it for the entires series just furthers on the issue... Here in spain, we have the opposite problem. It has been translated as 'The War of the Galaxies' or 'Galaxies War' which implies a wider (and wrong) setting.

The Empire Strikes Back and Attack of the Clones have the both the same problem. The empire strikes the rebels in the first 30 mins of the movie and the clones attack the separatists in the last half hour. The main conflict on both movies is more personal, not what the title says.

Now Return of the Jedi, return from where?, did luke left? They have been plotting Han Solo's rescue since rebel fleet and finale from ESB. One could say that he returns to Yoda, but then he is still not a Jedi, or that it is foretelling that the Jedi (plural) will return to the galaxy - Which is what i think.

The Phantom Menace. Corny name? Well it at least pictures what is going to happen to the republic, and its what the sith are in this movie and the II Episode.

Revenge of the Sith, the best and 'properest' name in the whole series. What do the Sith in this movie? Yes you got it right, Revenge.

A New Hope, seeing ROTS it is a very good title, since Luke and Leia (to some extent) are the hope of the Galaxy. And even if they weren't the Rebels have new hopes in the end of the movie since they had blown up the empire's dreadest weapon.

That's my 2 cents.

While we're on questioning where's the logic of only two Sith? Well, as shown by the "much too easy" deaths of the Jedi knights that went to arrest Palpatine, including Mace Windu, it's kind of clear that them Jedi were not all powerful. If Sith are like Jedi, except evil, then a bullet/blast/thermal detonator/nuke in the right place would wipe them out in one second. Or is it absolutely necessary to use lightsaber and the Force when confronting the Sith? "No blasters allowed. That's cheating." Or can Sidious stop a nuke from blasting him to Sith-Hell?

Necessary for Lucas' storyline, but ultimately, a bit silly.

Man, I AM analyzing this way too much!

Now Return of the Jedi, return from where?, did luke left? They have been plotting Han Solo's rescue since rebel fleet and finale from ESB. One could say that he returns to Yoda, but then he is still not a Jedi, or that it is foretelling that the Jedi (plural) will return to the galaxy - Which is what i think.

After RotS it's seems pretty obvious to me that it is Anakin the Jedi that returns

After RotS it's seems pretty obvious to me that it is Anakin the Jedi that returns

Some time ago I was thinking that Luke was the one that returns (the first Jedi to appear in years) but now it is clear that Anakin is the one that returns