Homage to ET in Revenge of the Sith?

Beowulf

I may be going a little looney (thank you finals!) but did anyone else notice the tongue-in-cheek reference to ET in ROTS?

The part i'm thinking of is where Yoda takes off in his escape pod on Kashykk after saying bye to Chewie and his buddy. Not only did Yoda's pod seem to be a mini version of the mothership in ET, but the way the scene was filmed and how JW scored Yoda's theme to rise majestically as the pod takes off seems too coincidental. I loved it! The only difference seems to be that the theme kind of tapers off, not fully realizing its potential, but I think that it worked well with the scene - since Yoda's departure isn't really joyful or optimistic.

So am I being too fan-boyish or did anyone else notice this?

BTW - loved ROTS and the score.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah I don't get it either the little pod looked nothing like ET's ship, ET's was round, Yoda's was egg shaped.

real people say "hom" auge, will people putting on airs say it "O"mauge.

Luke I wasn't poking fun at you, just the way words are pronounced

like Uranus, real way is Your anus, the pc way is Urine us. either way its pee or poop.

Angina, the heart palpataion thing, is Anne gI, na, now so that it doesn't rhyme with Vagina, its now

Anne, gi, na

and then there is the silent H version ah mij.

Just saw it again, and I think it was indeed a nod to ET. The closeup of Yoda as the door closed, the Wookies tilting their heads back, and the angle of the camera as the ship lifted off all seemed pretty intentional

real people say "hom" auge, will people putting on airs say it "O"mauge.

Totally agree. "hom"auge is for those who want to join the "critics class".

A great opportunity for them to get us to shell out more money when the "Expanded Edition" score is released in 3 or 4 months...

I thought it was funny, but for the wrong reasons. Lucas had to rip off one of the finest film moments ever to make his better... It was good, but cheapened the experiences of both the original and "homage" versions. I almost expected Chewie and Yoda to touch fingers at some point, but was disappointed when they didn't...

Heheh.

Well I see it as Lucas who has Yoda return the favour of the Yoda hOmauge in ET. I'm not bothered by it (nor did I get a vibe).

I didn't even notice. I just really liked the shot of the doors closing over Yoda's face, and feeling it was a bit un-Lucas (just the blocking of it), but nice nonetheless.

I didn't even notice.

Well you didn't get the joke of R2's com link either, so perhaps you aim too high watching Lucas's films.

:|

I was too caught up in the statement of Yoda's theme at that moment to pay attention to the visuals. Screw Lucas. Johnny rocks ten times as hard. :|

I can´t wait for the expanded editions (if they got released one day)

sure you can.

I hope I'm not putting words in his mouth, but I think he meant to say, "I can't wait for a version without dialogue and effects".

Neil

Let's hope that for once, please for once a complete bootleg surfaces à la Die another Day. Otherwise we can wait another twenty years for complete Indiana Jones, Harry Potter and Star Wars scores. :shakehead: