Some Overlooked Williams Gems

I think The Mission from AMAZING STORIES is an overlooked gem of a score and written in a most heroic vein.

I agree.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here are some of my favorite underrated gems:

Film scores: Jane Eyre, Angela's Ashes, Stanley & Iris, JFK

Concert works: The Five Sacred Trees, Horn Concerto, Tuba Concerto, Heartwood

Also, I checked Amazon.com and there are several used copies of the Flute/Violin Concerto CD available here. I agree with Miguel that Leonard Slatkin does a great job with the music. I enjoy the atmospheric nature of the Flute Concerto and think it is one of JW's most avant garde works.

Kathy

Not sure where I read it, maybe it was something I picked up from an issue of FSM or MFTM over the years but wouldn't like to say?

Although it hardly amounts to irrefutable proof, the following snippet appeared in an article by Barry Spence in the Winter 1993 issue of Legend film music magazine:

"Johnny Williams conducted almost all of his scores; one early exception was None But The Brave [conducted] by Morris Stoloff. After becoming John Williams, he has conducted everything, the marginal exception being Superman II, for which his Superman music was arranged and conducted by Ken Thorne. The one oddity is his latest film Jurassic Park, parts of which were conducted by Artie Kane, because of Williams' back injury. The CD merely credits 'special thanks' to Artie Kane."

The article was about scores that were not conducted by their composer. The article does not tell us how Williams put his back out, the old devil... bowdown

Incidentally, I really must stop hoarding these things, it's a fire hazard.

:ola: Presumed Innocent (!!), Always, Midway

bowdown Rosewood, Far and Away, Heartbeeps, Not With My Wife, You Don't!

I don't consider Sabrina or Tibet to be overlooked, or they'd be up top. Nor is EotS.

Not sure where I read it, maybe it was something I picked up from an issue of FSM or MFTM over the years but wouldn't like to say?

Although it hardly amounts to irrefutable proof, the following snippet appeared in an article by Barry Spence in the Winter 1993 issue of Legend film music magazine:

"Johnny Williams conducted almost all of his scores; one early exception was None But The Brave [conducted] by Morris Stoloff. After becoming John Williams, he has conducted everything, the marginal exception being Superman II, for which his Superman music was arranged and conducted by Ken Thorne. The one oddity is his latest film Jurassic Park, parts of which were conducted by Artie Kane, because of Williams' back injury. The CD merely credits 'special thanks' to Artie Kane."

The article was about scores that were not conducted by their composer. The article does not tell us how Williams put his back out, the old devil... bowdown

Incidentally, I really must stop hoarding these things, it's a fire hazard.

Williams score for The Killers was conducted by Stanley Wilson, music director at Revue Studios. Several Williams early works for televison were conducted by the studio music director. As for Heidi, while the Label X CD release credits Eberhard Soblick, the original LP release on Capitol Records (the one with the dialogue snipets), credits Williams for all the conducting, while mentioning in the engeneering credits both a Studio in Hamburg and the CTS Studios in London. It is weird if they used a European orchestra to avoid the high re-use fees, and then credit Williams as the conductor... Unless they are lieing on the CD re-issue to avoid those same fees...

And still on replacing Williams as conductor due to back problems, I think it was in 1987 that he had to be replaced either by Michael Kamen or John Mauceri in a Pops concert. And right in the begining of his Pops tenure, on his first Holiday pops shows, he had to be replaced by the legendary Fiedler's best man, Harry Ellis Dickinson, due to a strong flu.

• 2 months later...

Hi Everyone,

Long time lurker and first time poster. I recently discovered the Amazon Marketplace and have been going a bit crazy lately... hard not to. I have a decent collection of William's better know stuff and decided to get some of the lesser known.

JFK-

I have been fortunate to see JW in concert several times and if memory serves me, The Prologue and Motorcade have been performed at everyone . To be honest I was getting kind of disappointed with hearing it so often that I wasn't that impressed. I saw the movie years ago before I really got into scores so I didn't know what the rest sounded like. After listening to the entire CD I definitely have a new found appreciation for it.

Stanley and Iris-

I took a chance on this and was pleasantly surprised. Light and fluffy are two immediate words that come to mind....my wife loves it.

Stepmom-

I knew going into it there was a good chance this was not going to be very good, but it was so cheap I threw caution to the wind. Always and Always and The Days Between are decent tracks, but the rest of it is pretty boring. This is one that will probably collect a lot of dust on my shelf.

Nixon-

For as cheap as it was I expected it to rank with Stepmom, but it really proved me wrong. Even after listening to it three times I think it stands as a decent score. Call me crazy, but midway through the first track, 1960'S The Turbulent Years it sounds like a mix of The Imperial March and Across the Stars, specifically from Revenge of the Sith. Anybody else come away with that?

I agree with most of the above, especially Nixon and Jane Eyre and most especially JFK. I heard The Motorcade for the first time on the Horn Concerto concert two years ago with the CSO and ... well, I rave about The Motorcade a lot now. :angry:

I'd add The Lost World theme. I listened to that a lot (and JP) as I drove the road to Hana (Maui) recently. That was a very fitting track and a fun listen in general. I wonder why that doesn't pop up in more concerts? It's very exciting, what with all the mixed meter and percussion!

I got Stanley and Iris last year - it's cute, but I listen to it about as frequently as Stepmom.

I think The Mission from AMAZING STORIES is an overlooked gem of a score and written in a most heroic vein.

I agree.

I just saw "The Mission" from Amazing Stories and really loved it. I think that soundtrack will be my next major quest!

I'd add The Lost World theme.  I listened to that a lot (and JP) as I drove the road to Hana (Maui) recently.  That was a very fitting track and a fun listen in general.  I wonder why that doesn't pop up in more concerts?  It's very exciting, what with all the mixed meter and percussion!

I was on the road to Hana in February. Absolutely breathless. Every day I'm in Pennsylvania I wish I was back on Maui. Very appropriate choice of music. I had something funny happen on our way to Hana. My wife and I stopped to tour these smaller waterfalls and we ran into a tour group. We sort of followed them around until this one part where there was a fairly steep climb to more falls. The tour guide wouldn't let any from his group go down for liability purposes. I saw some great photo opportunities so I climbed down. When I got to the bottom everyone started humming and whistling The Raiders March. When I got back up I said to my wife that I couldn't believe she put them up to that. She said I didn't, they just started on their own. I was at the top of geekdom that day.

I just saw "The Mission" from Amazing Stories and really loved it.  I think that soundtrack will be my next major quest!

I need to watch this ASAP.

I got Stanley and Iris last year - it's cute, but I listen to it about as frequently as Stepmom.

Stanley and Iris is much better. It's really a genuine gem because lyrical works performed in a chamber setting are not widely spread in Williams' oeuvre. And the writing is truly delicious. It's very melodic and expresses deep emotions. Stepmom is more functional wallpaper.

----------------

Alex Cremers

When I got to the bottom everyone started humming and whistling The Raiders March. When I got back up I said to my wife that I couldn't believe she put them up to that. She said I didn't, they just started on their own. I was at the top of geekdom that day.

LOL That's awesome!

Stanley and Iris is much better. It's really a genuine gem because lyrical works performed in a chamber setting are not widely spread in Williams' oeuvre. And the writing is truly delicious. It's very melodic and expresses deep emotions. Stepmom is more functional wallpaper.

----------------

Alex Cremers

I definitely agree. I've listened to both of them three times and Stanley and Iris really stands out to me as being the far better effort.

1941 - Great March, cousin of "Midway", forerunner of the "Raiders" March.

AMISTAD - Lesser of 1997's Spielberg films. Wonderful African dervied percussions and great theme for the John Adams character.

ANGELA'S ASHES - Great underapprecited Main Theme and wonderful balance of the score captures the bleak events as depicted on the screen.

BLACK SUNDAY - Great suspenseful driving theme for this story based upon the Thomas Harris novel.

CINDERELLA LIBERTY - Great songs and themes in this gritty 1970's tale of love. With lyrics by Paul Williams.

IMAGES - In my opinion his best Pre "Star Wars" scores with agreat theme embodied in the track "Blood Moon".

JANE EYRE - One Of His Best Pre "Star Wars" scores and great Love Theme.

MIDWAY - Underappreciated work from 1976, with another Great March.

MONSIGNOR - Main Theme sounds like the theme from "The Fury". Highlight is the track "Gloria"

NIXON - Becoming more apprecited since "Revenge Of The Sith".

PRESUMED INNOCENT - Great early 1990's score, utilizing electronic effects.

SUGARLAND EXPRESS - First Spielberg/Williams collaboration containing great "Country" feel.

THE EIGER SANCTION - Clint Eastwood directed film, jazzy Main Theme but great tracks "Training With George" and "Fifty Miles Of Desert"

THE LONG GOODBYE - Great Song with lyrics by Johnny Mercer. Not Really a score but more "Variations On A Theme".

THE MISSOURI BREAKS - Lesser known Western contains a great Love Theme.

THE PAPER CHASE - Great Theme and wonderful "Love Story"-type score.

THE RIVER - Great Themes for this early 1980's tale of "Life On A Farm"

THE WITCHES OF EASTWICK - Fun Main Theme for The Devil and ""Spitting Cherries" are highlights.

----------------

Alex Cremers

I definitely agree. I've listened to both of them three times and Stanley and Iris really stands out to me as being the far better effort.

I'll give it another go, then. Maybe I was in the wrong mood or preoccupied - oh, wait, I remember. I got a bunch of other JW stuff at the same time, so maybe it just got overlooked?

Amazon is pretty real to me. Or am I living in the Matrix?

Oh it's real alright. My credit card statement in front of me proves just how real it has been this past month.