Critics Positive on 'Batman Begins'

Elmo Lewis

I suspect more than one here cares about Christian Bale's new film, so here's a brief comment from Imdb.com about what the critics have to say about it:

The first reviews are emerging for the next blockbuster flick, Batman Begins, and they're likely to bring much cheer to Warner Bros. officials, who are releasing it on June 15. David Edwards in the London Daily Mirror describes it as "a violent and truly scary film and definitely not one for the kids. For grown-ups, though, it could well be the ultimate superhero movie." Mike Goodrich in the British trade publication Screen Daily describes the movie as "a bold new vision of the DC Comics staple and further proof that [director Christopher] Nolan possesses abundant confidence and vision as a mainstream film-maker." And Kirk Honeycutt in the Hollywood Reporter comments that for "Nolan to turn Batman Begins into such a smart, gritty, brooding, visceral experience is astonishing. Truly, Batman does begin again."

Source

This should make Alexcremers' day. Certainly good news, in any case.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's still a filmed comic book and with every passing year i find it more hard to sit through them. The new Batman might have no nipples, but what fascinating insight do you expect from this? It will be an overbearing spectacle and no contribution, be it Nolan or the Pope, can change that. It's time to make me the new WORLD DICTATOR®, and i will free your life of 'Catwomans', 'Fantastic Fours' and whatever junk the entertainment industry has prepared for your pleasure!

PS: i know, wrong forum :thumbup: ...i should transfer my complaints to 'save-the-culture.org'

The previews make it look like it wasn't Bruce Wayne's idea to become Batman. It looks like he was contracted to become batman by a group consisting of Morgan Freeman and Liam Neeson, and they gave him a military Humvee in order kick ass. That's not the Batman I know.

Why, will there be another 'Spiderman' movie?!? HEY PEOPLE, IT'S ESCAPIST JUNK TIME AGAIN, COME HERE FOR MORE!

my two brains are bleeding from all these popcorn selling nothings...

:mrgreen:

The previews make it look like it wasn't Bruce Wayne's idea to become Batman. It looks like he was contracted to become batman by a group consisting of Morgan Freeman and Liam Neeson, and they gave him a military Humvee in order kick ass. That's not the Batman I know.

I've seen the Batman you know enough already. It's time for something decent now.

I've seen the Batman you know enough already. It's time for something decent now.

I thought it was supposed to be like Batman Year One, the graphic novel. That was pretty good, and never filmed. I'm just wondering why they went with the same old WB batsuit style, took away his personal motivation by making him a contractor, and equipped him with Desert Storm batmobile. Not to mention the utterly cliche of Morgan Freeman in his infamously similar role, this time in BATMAN!

I will see it, but I doubt it will be as good as Spiderman 1/2 or XMEN2. (not that those were superb, but at least a lot of fun, and captured the spirit of the comics.)

This looks a little worse than HULK and a little better than PUNISHER. It might be about as good as Hulk, but without a solid soundtrack, and a director bent on conveying madness and depression over action, I don't think I'll hold my breath.

You must've watched other previews than I did.

Anyway, I'm not making a final verdict on this until I see it. I most likely won't see it in theatres, though.

btw, any word on when those Special Editions of Burton's Batman and Batman Returns are coming out? I'd hoped we'd get them simultaneously with the theatrical release of the new flick.

The film could be good, but the previews are not. And I really don't like the Batmobile, The Batsuit, the cast, or the director.

Not to mention the utterly cliche of Morgan Freeman in his infamously similar role, this time in BATMAN!

If there was nothing you could say about a new Goldsmith score like 'Along came a Spider' or 'Sum of all Fears', there still was Morgan Freeman in his 10.000st 'mentor' performance you could bitch about :mrgreen:

'Hulk' was redeemed by Nick Nolte's big scene at the end of the movie. He's...sublime.

'Hulk' was redeemed by Nick Nolte's big scene at the end of the movie. He's...sublime.

That was pretty funny. I am hoping this will be as good as the Hulk, just because then it will be good. But if you're going to start from scratch on a series, why bother if you're going to make it even more of a departure than the original, which was too much of a departure and that's why it had mixed success?

It looks like a product of a WB who has been doing market research.

Well, i certainly hope it doesn't feature mutated pudels, which was a high point [sarcasm alert off] in 'Hulk'.

I watched 'Kung Fu Hustle' yesterday...it was pretty funny, but what wasn't funny was the blockbuster trailer parade preceding it: YOUR LIFE MIGHT DEPEND ON SEEING 'STEALTH' EXPERIENCE 'FANTASTIC FOUR'!!! BE STUNNED BY 'MAN OF THE HOUSE'!!!

Are these things designed to keep me away from cinema as far as possible?

The hulk poodles were truly unnecessary, not to mention impossible to see, for they moved so madly and the textures were so mushy and dark.

But Hulk was a somewhat passable, lightly entertaining film. And that's the best I can hope from Batman Begins.

If anyone were to restart the Batman franchise, it should not have been an art film maker with seemingly no sense of action cinematography and a seeming distain for entertainment film-making.

However, he seemed excited to take this on, and may well surprise me.

As for the score, it will be servicable. Everything about this film cries "servicable" at best, laughable at worst.

The film could be good, but the previews are not. And I really don't like the Batmobile, The Batsuit, the cast, or the director.

You don't like the cast?????

I'm a huge Batman fan and I sure hope this is the first batman film thta trully delivers. I'll be there opening night.

For grown-ups, though, it could well be the ultimate superhero movie.

Impossible. Not with half the score from Media Ventures.

You execute the same closed mindedness about Zimmer that Neil executes about Lucas. Perhaps next time you criticise our moderator you should look in the mirror, bucko. 8O

Justin - Who doubts the film will be anywhere as good as Burton's Batman. (It's possible though. :mrgreen: )

Burton's Batman wasn't that great to start with. The cast was great thought, as was the score and the production design.

SoundtrackNet's Batman Begins score review is up.

Rarely have I seen such a long review there. Really over the moon about it.

I did notice the resemblance in the JNH material to Snow Falling On Cedars and The Village, two of his best works. Good for him. For the tone of this film, bringing in JNH was the smartest thing Zimmer could have done. 8O From what of it I've heard and read about, it's more like 1/3 JNH, 2/3 Zimmer, but I'm willing to give Zimmer a chance.

I'm open to this being a markedly different Batman, I love dark, gritty films. It's not the Batman I grew up with, but I'm not a purist. Being a purist is no fun. :P

And that is firmly where Jeshopk and Indysolo fall, as do many on this board. They're like rainclouds always hovering in the distance. LOL

I actually *liked* Schumacher's Batman, there must be something wrong with me, no? It was wacky, fun, and colorful, and the Goldenthal score was fabulous.

Excited for the film, don't like the Batmobile, but Bale looks great. Casting apart from Katie Holmes is super, Christian Bale - a real talent, Morgan Freeman, Liam Neeson, Gary Oldman...no complaints.

Greta

From the comic mb's I frequent there's been many reviews up and they're all really good.

Again these are from the serious comic-fans and they LIKE the movie, and I've been excited for this movie for a hell of a long time. For me I'm really interested in Liam Neeson and Watanabe but what I want to see the most is Cillian Murphy as Crane/Scarecrow since he was going to play Batman before Bale came on.

Max-Looking forward to the next comic book film on the horizon with Hugo Weaving (V for Vendetta) and being really pissed off that Watchmen got shelved

This looks a little worse than HULK and a little better than PUNISHER.

Hulk was a pathetic movie in every conceivable way. The Punisher is surprisingly good, if you are referring to the film released last year, and not the Dolph Lundgren film.

I've never liked the Bat S.U.V. shown in this movie. I've always thought that the Batmobile has to be something sporty and sleek, the type of car millionaire playboy Bruce Wayne drive. In this one I expect him to be dropping the rogues gallery of villains off at soccer practice.

Neil

I never liked the notion the Batmobile is suposed to be sleaky or elegant. It's a car with a purpose, and that purpose is not looking cool. I for one I'm glad they took this aproach.

The Batman character is so fascinanting and layered, that I don't think it is really that hard to make a great movie about hi. You just need to have a little touch.

And I liked Batman Returns, just not as a Batman film. The villains and their portrayal were fantastic in it, but it never really was about Batman. And Gotham was way too nilistic. Too much a fairy tale aproach, and that even reflects in the score (which I love).

What our Jessie doesn't seem to understand is that the public had enough of the direction the Batman films were going. This is not the result of some clever marketing research. It's Nolan's vision. It's how he wants a Batman movie to look like. And he wants it with little or no CGI involved. I admit, Nolan is doing what I want, he's erasing the "freak show" element. No more "muppet show" in Batman. Finally! A Batman for adults!

Oh God, I like the cast. I mean, with Bale, Michael Caine, Liam Neeson, Morgan Freeman, Gary Oldman and Ken Watanabe, the cast is simply first-rate and couldn't be much better. Really, bickering at the cast seems almost ridiculous to me.

----------------

Alex Cremers

For grown-ups, though, it could well be the ultimate superhero movie.

Impossible. Not with half the score from Media Ventures.

You execute the same closed mindedness about Zimmer that Neil executes about Lucas. Perhaps next time you criticise our moderator you should look in the mirror, bucko. ;)

Mine is stone founded, his is not. ;) j/k

Anyway, if Zimmer and co. used real orchestra instead of some computer program, i think that their music would sound great.

Luke, who by the way, likes the lion king.

Moriarty at the Ain't It Cool News site seemed to love the movie....a lot....like a lot a lot. And he's kinda geeky, so it might be slightly biased, but he's pretty hard on the movies he doesn't care for, and seems honest enough.

Tim

What our Jessie doesn't seem to understand is that the public had enough of the direction the Batman films were going. This is not the result of some clever marketing research. It's Nolan's vision.

I agree that there has never been a Batman movie that lived up to the potential. Even Burton's were campfests, but actually pretty tritely entertaining in a fun way. I never liked that direction and was disappointed since Batman came out in 89. Though I did accept it for what it was and enjoyed it a lot after that.

As for it not being market research, maybe not, but hardly the director's single vision! Any Batman director is WB controlled, and this is in evidence in the Iraq Invasion batmobile and the crack team of experts who talk Bruce Wayne into becoming Batman. WB is turning Batman into a male, costumed James Bond or a Lara Croft.

None of this guy's movies show tendencies that are this hollywood. It must not be his idea for these Achilles' heels.

I think Batman is best told one of two ways - campfest, the way Burton did it (and not Schumacher... terrible!) and serious, but with a wink, the way Nolan is doing it. I take some comfort in the fact that none of the people involved enjoyed Batman & Robin - that tells me they're doing everything they can to avoid that disaster

If they really want to make a Batman movie that is both a popcorn fest and a good movie, they'll make a well crafted clayface story. I just read the best review of begins, and it actually made it seem worse to me. Bruce Wayne's company had ALREADY developed the batsuit technology and all his gadgets, without his input?

Stop reading about it and wait til the movie comes out! ;)

Develop a negative opinion AFTER you see it

I'm going to see it. I'll be sure to post my new and improved negative opinion then.

Just kidding. It may have intangible qualities that make up for the tangible flaws.

Time gave Batman Begins a negative review, they liked parts, but they didn't like other parts, and the lack of a quality villian hurt.

Time gave Batman Begins a negative review, they liked parts, but they didn't like other parts, and the lack of a quality villian hurt.

You're delving for negativity too hard. Search and you will find.

hardly Alex, it was only the 2nd Batman Begin review I read.

You're sounding like HPFAN. ;)

What the hell are you talking about? Has this become a Jwfan joke now? "You sound like HPFAN"

Leave me the hell alone damnit!

You're sounding like HPFAN. ;)

What the hell are you talking about? Has this become a Jwfan joke now? "You sound like HPFAN"

Leave me the hell alone damnit!

Now, YOU sound like HPFAN

:roll:

Moriarty at the Ain't It Cool News site seemed to love the movie....a lot....like a lot a lot.  And he's kinda geeky, so it might be slightly biased, but he's pretty hard on the movies he doesn't care for, and seems honest enough.

Tim

They seem to like every movie they've been hyping. AICN is no judge of concencous (Just look at Alexander....).

Either way, I can't wait. Looks like it's gonna be a great movie, and teh Ebert and Roeper makes it seem even better than I imagined.

any review I read a AICN I take with a grain of salt, afterall not a single person who contributes to that sight has never know any carnal knowledge of a member of the opposite sex, unless its the blow up kind.