First War CD Review and Clips from all tracks

pete

Enjoy...

http://www.soundtrack.net/features/article/?id=151

This looks promising..

3. Reaching the Country (3:24)

Soft female choir sings a voiceless melody, which I will label the "Hope Theme".  Then the strings join in, filling the cue with emotion.  Much like the new sorrow theme from Episode III, this theme has elements of hope, but is overall tragic and downtrodden.  Brass joins in providing chords, until they take over, to ominous effect.  The cue ends with low strings, and the return of the hopeful female choir.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hm. It sounds a bit uninspired all over. Actually the whole score sounds like Williams getting old.

Hm. It sounds a bit uninspired all over. Actually the whole score sounds like Williams getting old.

Explain..... and, you base this on brief soundclips without having seen the movie, right?

Explain..... and, you base this on brief soundclips without having seen the movie, right?

I said: "It sounds...", which means that I refer to what I just heard. Maybe the rest of the score is original, thrilling, rousing, whatever. What I JUST heard, sounds a bit uninspired, yes, in MY opinion (of course you may have your own opinion). :roll:

It's good written stuff of course (it's Williams after all), but from Williams we have heard this several times before. It's just nothing new. It's some PoA, some AI, some Angela's Ashes, some Star Wars, some JP underscore. Williams always says he works hardest on his themes. I just think he is tired to produce good themes for those uninspiring movies, especially now he is getting quite old.

But of course there's a possibility that there are great themes in the score which are not in the clips THAT I JUST HEARD.

Well,some of the cues reviews make the bulk of the score sound very dissonant.

But here's what I really look forward to:

3-Reaching the Country

5-Ray and Rachel

8-Refugee Status

10-Seperation of the Family

12-Return to Boston

14-The Reunion

15-Epilogue

I figure those tracks willl be the more lyrical ones.

K.M.

Damn it! If only I could actually listen to them -- why can't they just be normal and stream them in mp3 or wma (or rm :() rather than SHITTY non-standard formats!?

Yes,i'm pissed off too,I can only get a few seconds at the beginning of each :(

but I've listened to the 3 other ones and now I must say I'm VERY impressed.

K.M.

I finally got it working - and being the nice person that I am, I made MP3 samples for y'all :(

LINK DELETED

Did anyone else notice that the alien motif is an evil sounding 5 notes, like the evil version of the CE3k signal? Very clever.

Just remembering from listening last night, (I'll write it in C)

C, down to B, up to Eb, down to D, down to B.

so it is----down, up, down, down

CE3K is---up, down, down, up

ALMOST like a mirror of the CE3K signal

Lol -- i think 'yer over-analysing it

Maybe, but if that motif is used for the aliens all throughout the movie, I'd say it is a twisted CE3k reference.

After all, Dinosaurs only had 4 note motifs. One for each leg. Ok NOW I'm overanalyzing.

Especially since it's more of a theme for carnivores, who only walk on their rear legs.

But they hunt in PAIRS! Now it all makes sense! LOL

I can't hear the clips ;)

I tried everything, updating to QT7 and all... is there a solution for PC users?

Thks

Especially since it's more of a theme for carnivores, who only walk on their rear legs.

But they hunt in PAIRS! Now it all makes sense! LOL

;) Such an epiphany!

pressing Ctrl+R should eventually play a clip (a good sign is if something's loading with green progress bars in the bottom left corner of the popup window), but all my other friends could play them without any difficulty. Just my luck. But eventually I've heard em all.

I am quite blown away by some of the brass parts in this short snippet of the score. This is going to be another Williams' Classic!!! Im getting out there as soon as it comes out!

Sounds good to me

K.M.Who doesn't know what Sacre chords are.

Meaning highly reminiscent of a certain section in Stravinsky's seminal work. (Listen to the string ostinato...)

04. The Intersection Scene .... "Great!" He just took the original Sacre Chords for this one

Or the CE3K chords. Or the Star Wars chords. I'm not sure which chords they are. I wonder if any composer who actually invented any chords never received any fame and fortune. Its not documented after all. One could credit someone for the invention of the turbine engine, or the atom bomb...but a chord? Chords have no ownership.

Welcome to JWFan, where nothing's ever quite good enough!

Ha-ha, if you look hard enough, Miz, you just might -- might -- discover this sentiment elsewhere...