New, Really Cool Composers Competition!

Hey all, John here. If you remember, I'm actually the guy who founded the first competition, and unfortunately, had to relinquish my duties due to lack of time.

Well, since it's summer, and I have plenty of time to do all sorts of composing things, I have come up with a new idea for a competition. I'm really excited about it actually!

There will actually be video clips involved, so you'll be scoring to actual film. And once that is all submitted and all, then everybody will be able to judge not only your music, but how it works IN the film. Don't worry, I have all the technology to do that. BUT, the catch is...you don't actualyl get to see the film until they are submitted for viewing. Don't worry though, I'll give you a description including exact timings befoer you get started.

Now as far as sound quality goes, I will take all of the submissions and turn them into MP3s using my Gigastudio so all the soudns will be uniform. That means I'll need a submission in score format. What I can accept are: Finale, Cakewalk Overture, Sibelius, Noteworthy Composer, or any PDF or picture format.

Let me know who's interested to see if it's worth giving it a try. I'm really excited about it, and I think that if we get at least 4 people, then we can do something really cool with it. Let me know!

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't have the musical ability or the time to do it, but what's the reasoning behind not releasing the video until the end?

Sounds like a good Idea - but I want to master my own MP3's and use my own samplers... not send you the score :)

I can't send the score... Come to think of it, I'm not entirely sure I can write music.

I think I'm gonna give this a shot, assuming that the deadline for submissions aren't too soon. I'll do it mainly for expercience, but it should be fun!!

I'm only 17, but before you laugh at me listen to this arrangement of Zelda I scored for Wind Ensemble:

http://www.geocities.com/gates_2/zeldamedley.mp3

Keep in mind its being played by a high school group, and not very well so....

Fun for those who grew up on Zelda

I'm willing to pursue this further. Although scoring to picture sounds.....hard. ;)

Justin - Willing to hear more aobut his anyway. :D

Evan, the reason for not releasing it till the end is both for fun, to see how close everybody got...and to add a little spice to the judging...basing our judging not only on quality of music, but of how close it got to the video!

Jack, you've brought up a good point that I didn't think about. Let me correct myself. I offer my sampling services to only those that need them. I.E. people who only have general midi. But hey, if you are confident in your general midi sounds, then by all means, make the MP3 yourself. But lord knows, if you have your own sampling studio, then do it yourself. It will save time if I only have to do a couple.

And if we have enough interested in this, I will make it so scoring for video is no problem, Justin. I have an equation (don't worry...a simple one) which will help you write your piece and have it mostly line up with the video. I will be giving you hits (exact times) when music will change. So...if everybody who is interested, and willing to do it could simply respond with either a yes, or a no (or "I'm in" or something to that effect) I will be able to get a good idea of how many we have.

BTW, the clip is not famous, nor is it professional, but it's fun nonetheless. If we get enough people, within the next day (or even hours) I will post up the assignment and due date. Hope this interests people.

BTW, Gates, even if you sucked...which you don't...since arranging is some of the hardest stuff to do, you'd still be absolutely welcome. ;)

GAH- PEOPLE DO IT OR ELSE!!!!

lol i'm just kidding

but hey strongbad can u give us a little hint as to waht to theme it on? I'd like to start working on some little motifs and themes, as i'm gonna be out of town for 1.5 weeks starting sunday, so i'd need to get a head start

and justin said he was interested

Great! I'd still really love for more people to try this out, but for now, here's just a little info on the clip...nothing specific yet...I have to spot the clip tomorrow, and I'll post the full layout for you sometime tomorrow.

The clip is an action clip, very precise action...not over-the-top "all hell has broken loose" action. It's about 1 minute in length...maybe a little more.There are about 3 sections...the first is roughly 20 seconds...the second section is about 30...and the last is about 10.

Along with timings, tomorrow I will be giving you the moods of certain scenes. I'm really excited abotu this! It will be fun to see what everybody's interpretations are!!!

Alright everybody. Here it is!

ASSIGNMENT: A Little Fight Music

The clip is roughly 54 seconds in length. It will start at 0:00:00:00 and proceed to 0:00:54:00.

Now, these timings are going to be "rounded". There's no way for the first assignment, without the proper tools, that I'm going to give you exact code for the hits. It would do you no good. So don't worry about being too exact. I'll be able to fudge with the timings a little anyways, so don't worry.

Here are some time things.

From the start to about 7 seconds, the music should be very reflective and concentrated. Picture a soft snowy landscape, with a sensai meditating in the forest. At about 6 seconds into it, it begins to change to:

8-22 should be growingly tense. There is a sense of foreboding as a dark force approaches the sensai.

23-26 is a key moment. It should be very very tense, like a dagger being lifted, and just hovering before taking a plunge. Not necessarily busy, but very dangerous sounding.

27-37 should be the bulk of the action music. It can be wild and thrilling, or very precise and calculating. But there should be a tragic sense to it, because our hero is going to die very soon.

38-41 should be just a moment of sustained tension, like someone is waiting to strike.

42-44 should be one last strain of action music...but this should be a bit more frenzied...like a character's last stand.

45-54 should be very tragic, with a moment of sheer panic at the beginning as the character dies, but transforms into sad music. The clip stops right at 54...so if yuo want to have something in the music to signal that, then it's fine.

NOW...since you know the rough timings, and the assignment...let me give you that calculation. Again...PLEASE don't stress too much about trying to be exact with the video...I will indicate to our voters not to look too deeply into it...and I will fudge the video where I can. Here it is.

First, take the real time of your "hit"...let's say I wanted a stinger to be right on 42 seconds. So that would be 42. Then...you MULTIPLY that number by the tempo your piece is using. Say I had my action music at tempo 120. So that's 42x120. So that's 5040. Now, you want to divide that number by 60. So you get 84. Finally, you subtract 1. So...using amazing logic...our answer is 83. Guess what...that's the exact beat 42 seconds will fall on!!!

H(hit) X T(tempo) / 60 = Beat.

Now, not everything will be that clean cut. Sometimes you'll end up with beat 54.7. Well...just round it up and put it on beat 55. Again...it doesn't really matter that much.

Ok...I'm sure some of you will still have questions, so feel free to ask any time. Sorry if I made it seem a bit more complicated than it really is. Just have fun, and if you need the equation, it's there.

Due date will be July 1st. Or would you rather have it be July 12th? I just don't want to push this thing for too long. Let me know!

John: Could you just explain a little bit what exactly the action is? i.e. Fighting? .. what style? Thanks :D

Well first of all, this is an amature film, so don't get your hopes up about quality. But I'm also very glad to see so many people interested.

OFFICIAL UPDATE!: DUE DATE IS JULY 12

The fighting style is personal, calculating, but also a little frantic. Picture an Errol Flynn movie...i.e. fencing...or sword fighting........

OH...before I forget. If you have any questions you want to direct only towards me...or when you finish and you want to submit either your score or your self-made demo...please email me at Jesensky@hartford.edu. And please use "JWFAN COMPOSER COMPETITION" as the header (in caps). I get a lot of mail and it would be helpful to just lock my eyes right on your email.

Also, when you do submit...please include your name, and your comp title. The only thing people will be judging is your comp against the movie...so I won't include your name in the judging part...but after the winner is decided I will attach names to comps. Ok...I think that about sums it up! Email me with any question you might have!

I've already started something - but I'm probably gonna make about 10 different cues before I'm happy LOL

Composing from Storyboard is proving to be tricky - not because of the timing - but because (as almost all film composers say) you can't get the feel for the film from a timeline... That's probably a good thing if this is an amateur film, because it would probably just inspire tacky music (hehe)

The only thing people will be judging is your comp against the movie...

Then please give more specific timings! To the second is not good enough! I need to know the timecode marks to get it spot on.

I'm not going to give specific timings because it would be unfair to those with a bit less experience...or people who don't have proper equipment like Digital Performer to get things spot on.

Sorry. I seriously doubt any people here are going to make you lose because you made a hit more than 3 frames off. With the info I gave you, there's really no room for specific needlepoint hits anyways.

If you feel that you can't do it without specific hits, then I'm sorry, but we can't go that in depth yet. Maybe another competition to come...but I'm not going to go so crazy with the first competition of this variety we are doing.

Ok, fine. Just as long as you rounded to the nearest second, it should work. A half second can seem like an eternity in action music sync. This will be pretty fun. Short and power packed cues from JWFAN members.

I might wait till I get some money and get EWQL Stormdrums and use that on this for the action part -- seems very suitable for that type of action.. (whoops.. did I just give away an idea?)

I might wait till I get some money and get EWQL Stormdrums

Ah, timpani and bass drum are good enough for thumps. I wanna hear yours! Just enter.

Sorry to ask another question of you, StrongBad. But at what time does the character die? Is it 42 or is it 45? Just curious as to the exact point where the action official ends. I didn't quite get that from your first post. Thank ya. :)

Justin - Who agrees with Mr. Chapple that this will probably take many attempts... ;)

Justin...you are right, I should clarify...the character "dies" at 45. That's when the final blow occurs.

By the way, if any of you have any questions you'd rather direct towards me in private (if you think it will give you an advantage) please feel free to use my Email.

Just to let you all know, someone has made fast work out of the assignment and already submitted something to me :-). It's a little too long so I'm asking them to shorten it...but it sounds really neat.

The Due Date is still July 12 though...don't worry!

I have written a few notes but it is really hard to have free time so it will be very hard to finish something.

I try to do my best not to work next saturday in order to continue on my composition.

I started on the computer just kind of shooting from the hip with no pre-determined themes or ideas. I'm at around 0:36 seconds. But I just found a new idea on my keyboard which I'm fleshing out right now. Unfortunatly I'm leaving on the 24th and won't be back till the 2nd of July. So we'll see how it goes. :baaa:

Justin

Today, I have found enough time to work on my composition.

The first parts from 0 to 26 secs are done and I also know how to finish between 45 and 54.

Now, I have to work on the 19 missing secs and if I have enough time, I will try to make my composition better and better.

I will send you a MIDI file and I am already curious to listen what will give the final result :angry: