The Lion King Score

Romão

I'm not really a big Hans Zimmer fan, but I consider the track This Land from The Lion King to be one of the greatest score tracks ever! It is stunningly beautiful. Moves to tears, specially when heard in the movie.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

like you said its Hans Zimmer

if he was toilet paper he still would not be good enough to wipe Johnny's bum.

As I said, I don't lile Zimmer much, much I think shoud get credit when he deserves it, and the LIon King clearly deserves recognition (specially the track This Land)

I haven't listened to that score in ages, and btw Merkel has your keyboard recently broke? :)

I agree Merkel. In fact; I consider The Lion King to be one of the greatest scores from the '90's. It is thematically extremely rich and powerful and it is, alongside Zimmer's other classic score The Power Of One, the most memorable African styled film music of all time.

John Williams' Amistad doesn't even come close.

The Snob

I don't like Zimmer, but LK is a nice score. One of the best tracks is a nearly direct rip from Mozart though. And the true highlight of the score are the songs.

Marian - who doesn't think it deserved the Oscar.

I agree Merkel. In fact; I consider The Lion King to be one of the greatest scores from the '90's. It is thematically extremely rich and powerful and it is, alongside Zimmer's other classic score The Power Of One, the most memorable African styled film music of all time.  

John Williams' Amistad doesn't even come close.

The Snob

Aha, the return of the Roald.

Stefancos- who will move out to a new house himself too. :)

I'm sorry Marian and Luke, but you have no idea what you are talking about.

The songs from The Lion King are vastly inferior to Zimmer's score, and I think Elton John did a much better job for Dreamworks' The Road To El Dorado (also scored by Hans Zimmer by the way).

The Snob - this is NOT my returm Stefan. Not yet...

I'm sorry Marian and Luke, but you have no idea what you are talking about.

We're talking about a nice score with really good songs. :mrgreen:

I think Elton John did a much better job for Dreamworks' The Road To El Dorado (also scored by Hans Zimmer by the way).

Oh, I'm not too fond of Elton John's original versions of the songs. But the adaptions are very good.

:music: Bridge Over Troubled Water (Simon & Garfunkel)

I think Elton John did a much better job for Dreamworks' The Road To El Dorado (also scored by Hans Zimmer by the way).

Oh, I'm not too fond of Elton John's original versions of the songs. But the adaptions are very good.

What I have a problem with in this score are the lyrics. Seems like Tim Rice really lost it then. They don't talk about anything in particular, they're just rhymes with no theme in particular.

-ROSS, who thinks only Elton John's Aida is a fair example of his musical genius.

If I can offer my 2 cents....I've been a huge fan of the music of the Lion King, and have copies of the other CDs that have come out since the original movie, inclyding Rhythm of the Pridelands, The Lion King Collection, and the Broadway Cast Recording. I am not much of a fan of Zimmer's other works, but I can give him credit where it is due, and this is an incredible score.

However, I will only give him SOME of the credit, because most of the music that I really enjoy involve the african vocals. These portions of the score, along with numerous songs that appeared on the following albums (and with new lyrics, became a large chunk of the music for the broadway show) were written by Lebo M, (sings the opening solo bars of "Circle of Life" if you haven't heard of him).

The stuff he writes for the choir is absolutely gorgeous, and powerful at the same time. I think he actually deserves more of the credit for the sound of the Lion King score than Zimmer does.

Though I do love "Land". :mrgreen:

-JCM

Oh I always knew Lebo M was a guy. The other shocker is the Carmen Tillie or whoever it is that sings The Circle of Life is also a guy. Hehehe.

Anyway, my issue with the LK songs is they are all over the map. Circle of Life is great... I just Can't Wait to be King is obnoxious. The song Scar sings is really good, the film version of Can You Feel the Love Tonight sucks but the Elton version is awesome.

As for the score, I think the melodies and African sounds are great. My issues there are sound quality... it sounds like crap. Lots of hiss and it's processed to DEATH... omg. Anyway, Zimmer's sound quality got better with Prince of Egypt and then even better with Gladiator, which sounds pretty darn good. Also, there's not nearly enough of the score. Only 4 measly little tracks on the CD.

The shoddy treatment of Goldsmith's Mulan score is far worse, however.

Well, I like Hans Zimmer.

I think his scores are great.

I just finished watching Gladiator and i absolutely loved the score.

Backdraft, Crimson Tide and As good as it gets are great scores too

LK was an overrated movie....didn't like it much. LK score is alright. I thought Joseph Williams's Simba was great!

And the Mulan score was horrible....

Well, you didn't hear the LSO play the suite from Mulan live, so what do you know...

Stefancos- who also beliefs the Supergirl Theme is superiour to the Superman Theme, thanks to the LSO. :)

:music: Superman theme wasn't also played by LSO too? ... :roll: :mrgreen:

I like Mulan too

Luke, who misses vey much the battle with the Huns.

:music: Superman theme wasn't also played by LSO too? ... :roll:  :mrgreen:

Yes, but i did not hear it being played by them in concert, conducted by the great Goldsmith

You don't have the bootleg?

Stefancos- who has, but has not got the slighest idea were he left it :oops:

:music: Superman theme wasn't also played by LSO too? ... :roll: :mrgreen:

Yes' date=' but i did not hear it being played by them in concert, conducted by the great Goldsmith[/quote']

You mean the GREAT WILLIAMS, RIGHT?

You don't have the bootleg?

Stefancos- who has, but has not got the slighest idea were he left it :oops:

No i don't, but us is a bootleg or a oscar promo? I read oscar promo somewhere...

1 - Williams might be great, but he's no Goldsmith.  :mrgreen:  

2 - For Mulan, there is both an Oscar promo AND a bootleg..

3 - Stefancos- wondering why there are WAY more Goldsmith boots the Williams boots out there :?:

1- L O L

2- Ah... what is better?

3- Because Williams works sometimes get official expanded releases more often than Goldsmith's? :music:

2- Ah... what is better?

Well, the promo has more score music and no songs, so for me, that one is better.

3- Because Williams works sometimes get official expanded releases more often than Goldsmith's? :mrgreen:

Naaahhh....both get their fair share of expanded releases.

Also, Goldsmith has a lot more of his earlier work (1950's and 60's) released, mostly by FSM, and more re-recordings i think.

Stefancos- wondering if Bruce Botnick leave his mastertapes lying around the place. :music:

Oh I always knew Lebo M was a guy.  The other shocker is the Carmen Tillie or whoever it is that sings The Circle of Life is also a guy.  Hehehe.

8O The reason I always thought Lebo is a she is because I always thought (s)he was the one singing Circle of Life... :?

I agree with Stefan. Williams' Superman theme is better than the OST recording of Goldsmith's Supergirl theme, but the live performance of the latter is muuuuch better.

Mulan might not be a Goldsmith masterpiece, but it's a very good score. I've been told that the CD I have is the Oscar promo, but it has songs, too. Perhaps it's the Oscar promo with the songs put "back in" from the official CD. I like the first song though.

Marian - who wants to add that not only Williams is no Goldsmith, but also Goldsmith is no Williams. :alien:

Also, does anyone have the complete Lion King score? I know there was a bootleg released. I would trade it for anything in my collection.

-ROSS, wondering if he's post this in the wrong board.

A couple of things about The Lion King:

Marian said the score should not have deserved the Oscar. I think it should have. Though I remembered thinking at the time that Forrest Gump would win based on the popularity of the film, or Interview With the Vampire would win based on its sheer genius. But in hindsight, the score to The Lion King fits the film wonderfully, and even surpasses most of the songs.

About those songs: the film version of "Can You Feel the Love Tonight" sucked. All the other rocked. But yes, it wasn't Tim Rice's best work (take a listen to Evita or Aida).

Jeff -- who lists "Circle of Life" as one of his top 5 favorite songs ever

Stefancos- who also beliefs the Supergirl Theme is superiour to the Superman Theme, thanks to the LSO.

I agree completely! I was also there and it was incredible.

Stefancos- who also beliefs the Supergirl Theme is superiour to the Superman Theme, thanks to the LSO.

Insanity.

I was there as well, but from my POV it was very good but not as good as Superman.

I was there as well, but from my POV it was very good but not as good as Superman.

Its amazing I was there also, and I too found it wonderful but not to the level of Superman.

did you ever have one of those days where you feel like Sybil?

The Lion King is an excellent score.

Zimmer is awesome.

And I don't care what any of you say. :)

Justin -Stubborn. :)

The Lion King is an excellent score.

Zimmer is awesome.

And I don't care what any of you say. :)

Justin -Stubborn. :)

This from the person who is also known as John Zimmer. :roll:

Nothing, its just like stating the sun will come up tomorrow.

Joe, who is going to eat some chinese food for lunch.

ARE YOU MAD????