Lyrics for Exulatate Justii

Romão

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

John Williams appears to have done a clever cut-and-paste job when coming up with the lyrics for Exsultate Justi - most of them appear in the Psalms or in some part of the Latin mass. I have not quite worked out if any of the lines are original Williams creations.

The opening line Laudamus te can be heard in the text of the Gloria (interestingly JW's Gloria from the film Monsignor uses only the first line and stops just before we would hear 'Laudamus te') as can the line qui tollis peccata mundi.

The other lyrics, as far as I can work out, are liberal borrowings from several of the psalms, especially psalm 32 (33). Check this out and see how many you can spot:

http://orb.rhodes.edu/encyclop/religion/ha...salter/ps32.htm

The line cantate domino canticum novum appears several times in the psalms, particularly numbers 95(96), 97(98) and 149. If anyone can find the source of some of the other lines, I would be interested to know, although I would guess they are adaptations of lines that appear in the psalms somewhere. I wonder whether Johnny ever sang in a choir or studied Latin at school?

I do have a couple of quibbles with the lyrics on the page that Evan posted. I am sure that the choir sings laudatio rather than the made-up compound collaudatio, a word that does not exist in classical Latin. The same can be said of the word salvator, a cod-Latin word that looks good but was probably invented for church use.

Here endeth the lesson.

Damien :)

I know Williams wasn't the first one to write an Exsultate Justi. At least Mozart had written one before him. Do they have the same lyrics?

:) The Big Country (Jerome Moross)

Such music always uses the same lyrics. Just like a Requiem Mass. The Lyrics to all the requiem masses are exactly the same... in Latin... the difference between the masses is that the actual music changes.

But of course some composers may decide to be a bit different and use lyrics different from the common ones... :mrgreen:

I know Williams wasn't the first one to write an Exsultate Justi. At least Mozart had written one before him. Do they have the same lyrics?

Marian,

Could you be thinking of Mozart's Exsultate, Jubilate? If so this is based on a different text. However, you are right that other composers have set the whole of psalm 32(33) to music and have used the text more or less as it appears in the psalm.

What impresses me about John Williams's work for Empire of the Sun is that by and large the lyrics make good grammatical sense, even though they are borrowed from a number of different sources. The lyrics Jerry Goldsmith came up with for The Omen's Ave Satani sound very scary but do not hold water at all grammatically (i.e. they cannot be translated into English and still make sense).

I therefore award Johnny an A- for his Latin homework and Jerry an E.

Damien :wink2:

Could you be thinking of Mozart's Exsultate, Jubilate?

Probably. Must have confused them because Exsultate Justi is listed as Exsultate, Jubilate from "Empire of the Sun" on the Spielberg/Williams Collaboration album - not in the tracklisting on the back side of the cover (there it has the original title), but on the CD itself. I've always wondered what's up with that.

The lyrics Jerry Goldsmith came up with for The Omen's Ave Satani sound very scary but do not hold water at all grammatically (i.e. they cannot be translated into English and still make sense).

As Stefan said, I think they make sense. There's a "tolle corpus" in there, too, which also makes sense gramatically, though I've never been able to figure out what "raise the body" is supposed to mean.

On the other hand, from everything I read about the Duel of the Fates lyrics, I guess they're probably just words. Yes, the original text makes sense, but Williams seems to have shifted the wors around.

Marian - who doesn't know Sanskrit. :mrgreen:

Don't the lyrics for The Omen mean:

Flesh we eat, blood we drink, Hail the Antichrist, Ave Satani?

Stefan, while I am sure you are right that that is what Goldsmith intended the words to mean, they do not mean that because the grammar is incorrect. Permit me to explain. The words to Ave Satani are as follows:

sanguis bibimus

corpus edimus

tolle corpus satani

ave versus cristus

ave satani

The word 'sanguis' (blood) is in the nominative case denoting that it must be the subject of a sentence. Therefore the first sentence cannot mean "we drink blood"; to mean this it would have to read:

sanguinem bibimus

The second line is ok (we eat the body/flesh) because the word 'corpus' is a neuter noun for which the nominative (subject) and accusative (object) cases are identical.

The verb 'tollere' can mean 'to raise up' in a literal sense but also in the sense of 'exalt' or 'elevate'. Because the word 'corpus' (body) can refer to a body living or dead, this part does make sense - at least until the word 'Satani' which is an invention. There was no word for Satan in classical Latin (for obvious reasons) so the word for Satan would have been invented for church use in mediaeval times and where it does appear, the genitive (possessive) case is not 'Satani'.

The next line 'ave versus cristus' is all wrong. Even assuming that 'versus' is a corruption of the preposition 'adversus/adversum', to make grammatical sense the line would have to read:

ave (ad)versum Christum (literally "hail the one who is against Christ")

The final line (disregarding the fact that the word 'Satani' is still incorrect) would have to mean "hail (the son) of Satan". Whenever a genitive case appears on its own like this it almost always denotes a filial relationship.

Damien :twisted:

Who cares anyway, it's a dead language, Goldsmith used it because it sounds cool.

Stefancos- who thinks some people have to much time on their hands. :roll:

o tempora! o mores!

:tongue2:

So are you trying to say that these days Williams sucks more than Goldsmith? I don't think Williams sucks at all... I think he is clearly still at the top of the game. But clearly we are on different boats when it comes to that. So, let me get into your boat... let's assume that Williams sucks now. Even with that assumption (because it is really an assumption and not true), I think you'd agree with me that within the past 5 years Williams has not released a score as dull and as quality deficient as Goldsmith's "Along Came a Spider." In fact I am saying 5 years just because I am in your boat, if I were in my boat I'd say that Williams has never released such a bad score in his entire career!

I only have the theme for that, are you saying the score is far below the theme Braveheart?

So are you trying to say that these days Williams sucks more than Goldsmith? I don't think Williams sucks at all... I think he is clearly still at the top of the game. But clearly we are on different boats when it comes to that. So, let me get into your boat... let's assume that Williams sucks now. Even with that assumption (because it is really an assumption and not true), I think you'd agree with me that within the past 5 years Williams has not released a score as dull and as quality deficient as Goldsmith's "Along Came a Spider." In fact I am saying 5 years just because I am in your boat, if I were in my boat I'd say that Williams has never released such a bad score in his entire career!

Yeah, well, right now, your boat is sinking, and there's no let-up in sight.

Sorry, comrade...

Anybody know anything about the "Charge on Fort Wagner" from Glory?

Dexster,

This had me bamboozled for a good while because the lyrics are so difficult to pick out (and nowhere else on the internet comes up with anything better than that they are in Latin - duh). However, if you can decipher the first word and have attended any Christian funerals you may realise where Horner got all his lyrics from. I think the first two lines are:

recordare tunc dicturus

omnes cuncta stricte discussurus

These are all phrases taken from the sequence (sequentia) of the Latin requiem mass. Horner appears to have randomly selected phrases and, to make things more confusing, added a few words of his own such as 'in', 'est', etc. to fit the meter. It all sounds great but cannot be translated into English. Listen carefully a few times to 'Charging Fort Wagner' from Glory and you will begin to pick out several phrases from the requiem sequence, the first few verses of which I have listed below:

dies irae, dies illa

solvet saeclum in favilla

teste David cum Sibylla.

quantus tremor est futurus

quando iudex est venturus

cuncta stricte discussurus.

tuba mirum spargens sonum

per sepulcra regionum

coget omnes ante thronum.

mors stupebit et natura

cum resurget creatura

iudicanti responsura.

liber scriptus proferetur

in quo totum continetur

unde mundus iudicetur.

iudex ergo cum sedebit

quidquid latet apparebit

nil inultum remanebit.

quid sum miser tunc dicturus

quem patronum rogaturus

cum vix iustus sit securus;

rex tremendae maiestatis

qui salvandos salvas gratis

salva me fons pietatis.

recordare Iesu pie

quod sum causa tuae viae

ne me perdas illa die.

Most of the lyrics appear to come from the second and third verses.

Damien - preferred supplier of Latin info to jwfan.net :)

Yeah, well, right now, your boat is sinking, and there's no let-up in sight.  

Sorry, comrade...

Hmm... nope. My boat is definitely not sinking. It is sailing excellently. Yours has sunken though. :mrgreen: