Last time you were blown away by a film score?

APBez

When was the last time you were really blown away by a film score/sountrack release because of its 'thematic strength'? By that, I mean the number and hummability of the themes as well as the variations with which they're played.

Not many times in the last few years have I been impressed by a score/CD on these terms. Maybe 'Deep Blue' was the last.

Not so much having a go at JW here as the rest of the film-scoring composers out there.

What do you think?

Cheers,

APBez

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Matrix still... just completely mind-blowing and fresh, innovative despite many brilliant John Williams scores that I love in some ways more than the Matrix, the Matrix still blew me away more.

PoA, after watching the movie.

Then I realised that what seemed a collection of good themes was actually a wonderful score.

For me it has to be Lord of the rings (all 3). Fellowship was the only recent time I've come out of a cinema thinking 'wow, what a movie' (and repeated with TT and RotK), and the music was the aspect that particularly appealed to me, emotionally and thematically. Honourable mention goes to Harry Potter as well. I was listening to it last night at about 2.30am before going to bed, just staring at my comp desktop, and it was pure magic :)

I'm in the generation that got into scores through Potter, LotR and Gladiator. They remain my nostalgic faves and still blow me away (I recently re-discovered the last minute or so of 'The Battle' from Gladiator :P and only recently noticed how many themes it has )

Listening to Anakin vs Obi Wan on the ROTS OST blew me away. Classic Williams action music. The last minute and a a halfish (after the ESB stuff) is just brilliant. Listening to various bits on the complete JackChapple version also blew me away (love, e.g., the fanfare after Anakin's first visit to Palpatine, and of course the full ending of Anakin's Dark Deeds). Buckbeak's Flight made me burst out in a smile... beautiful. Those are the most recent.

Ah yeah, I forgot about RotS. The 1st, 2nd, 4th and 9th tracks wowed me when I first heard them because of how fresh and un-Star Wars they are.

I honestly can't remember my initial reaction to PoA when I heard it on AOL, but it definitely wasn't 'wow'. I love it now of course, especially since I got hold of a clean rip of 'Rescuing Sirius' - a criminally omitted track :P

Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow

-Erik-

Yeah,one of the few Non Williams scores I actually bought in recent years.

K.M.Not intitially blown away by RotS,but now blown away by it

Last time you were blown away by a film score?

Probably "The White Tree" from Return of the King. Combined with the stunning visuals, it literally blew me away. And, i bought the soundtrack solely for that piece which i play often. Stunning piece of music indeed. Since then, not much has struck me really.

"Battle of the Heroes" was an incredible first listen. Repeat listens, not so much... its effects wore off quickly.

Hook (I've had the score for like ... only 2 years - my second JW score) Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban... All three of those.

I forgot to mention, it was also not too long ago that I got the complete Independence Day boot and "blown away" would be accurate. Superb themes, great score. Same thing for Willow. :P

And of course Episode III. :)

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban. While the score was very different from what I expected in many ways, I was delighted with the amazing "A Window to the Past" and the numerous brilliant variations on "Double Trouble" throughout the score (though it's a pity Williams forgot the theme during the second half of the film).

Ray Barnsbury

I have just listened to Patrick Doyle's latest this morning - Nouvelle France - Wow, it's been over a year (since POA as previously posted) since a score has moved me in all of the different human emotional nuances! This is absolutely terrific and has made me even more enthusiastic for Goblet of Fire!

Unfortunately it is only available as an import from the US or Canada and all liner notes are in French. But I assure you that it's worth tracking down!

http://www.amazon.ca/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000...3183480-8916368

Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith

Harry Potter and The Prisoner of Azkaban

Justin - Who was more blown away by PoA. ROTS had a few tracks that first listen were kind of zzzzzz....

Batman Begins

Oh sorry, that's the last time a score blew.

Neil

it still works Neil, after all he didn't indicated in the thread title whether it blew you away positively or negatively.

I said POA, but you know the Village came pretty close too.

Batman Begins

Oh sorry, that's the last time a score blew.

Well, it might still work in the movie.

Little Buddha (Bertolucci) has nice photography and ditto music and yet the film sucks.

so Alex, did you like it, or have you not seen it yet?

seriously I hoped you like it as you've anticipated it for a while.

so Alex, did you like it, or have you not seen it yet?

seriously I hoped you like it as you've anticipated it for a while.

Not yet ... but I will ... soon.

several friends last night were attending the midnight screening, I know one theatre sold out, the other did not. They didn't do mulitiple showings to the extent of ROTS a few weeks ago. Still it should open huge here at home.

Secret Weapons Over Normandy is still blowing me away! (Not a film, strictly, I know).

I have to say Prisoner of Azkaban too, although it can't compare with the complete score for Return of the King, the last truely awe-inspiring soundtack I've heard. Anakin's Dark deeds definately deserves an honorable mention though, espcially with the complete ending.

Still it should open huge here at home.

Boy was I wrong, still not the first time, wont be the last.

No film music experience has been as strong as diving into John Williams' late seventies work. I remember downloading the end credits of Superman: The Movie and being blown away. The finale of CE3K literally took my breath away. ESB still amazes me every time.

I do remember getting a lot more out of Dinosaur and A.I. than I expected, though.

I must say that as far as being blown away, Far and Away was certainly one of the most for me (no doubt one of the reasons I hold the score as high as I do). I had previously only heard a marching band arrangment and the simplistic violin version on the Greatest Hits CD. Discovering the sweeping, full orchestral glory of the main theme and the rest of the score was really a delightful surprise.

Ray Barnsbury

The Teaser trailer to Dinosaur helped get me into film music. I mean seriously I had never even heard of James Newton Howard and I bought the score anyway!

In terms of non JW scores that blew me away some of the most recent would be....

Van Helsing (Alan Silvestri) - I mean holy crap. Non stop action and the second half to "Burn it Down!" is the best thing Silvestri's come up with in years. Holy Cow. :)

The Last Samurai (Hans Zimmer) - I'm hesitant about Zimmer's recent output ESPECIALLY when combined with other composers. King Arthur was something of a train wreck and Batman Begins is not looking good. With The Last Samurai everything seems to click for Zimmer he has a wealth of thematic material which is suprisingly well developed. This score really shows Zimmers hidden talent which only comes out a few times a decade to the extent it does in The Last Samurai.

Road To Perdition (Thomas Newman) - Simply breathtaking. This was my first Newman score and it is still his best. Every track is a stand alone masterpiece, but also blends seemlessly into the rich tapestry of the overall score. This score is really what launched Newman out of his " Weird American Beauty" style and back intot he realm of the full orchestra.

Justin

The Teaser trailer to Dinosaur helped get me into film music. I mean seriously I had never even heard of James Newton Howard and I bought the score anyway!

Yeah, Journey of the Egg made me buy it too. And for only 5 Euros that was a pretty good deal! :)

I hope one day to hear Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom in its full glory. That may be better than I've ever thought.

no particular OST... but the moment in the film when Anakin vs. Obi-Wan kicks in during the film... that was such a powerful moment. I went back to see the movie just for that....