Star Wars and The Revenge of the Sith

Josh500

NOT counting the Main Title, what is your favorite part of this long action piece? It contains no big themes (except for the Force Theme, of course), but I like it very, very much. I like the continuous driving force of it. What is your favorite part (please specify).

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I especially like the minute after Grievous´ Theme is played (i believe it´s around 05:00), because it builds up tension in a very enjoyable way :)

I like the part with the repeating staccato strings and bass drum at around 3:14 :)

Actually my favorite part is where those buzz droid things land on the ship and R2 fights them -- around 6:10 on the "complete" version bowdown - right up to the rebel fanfare--very exciting part. Just a shame it was left out of the OST.

I especially like the minute after Grievous´ Theme is played (i believe it´s around 05:00), because it builds up tension in a very enjoyable way :)

That's what I was gonna say as well.

I like the part with the repeating staccato strings and bass drum at around 3:14

same...I like that part. isnt the bass drum is those Japanese big drum?

I especially like the minute after Grievous´ Theme is played (i believe it´s around 05:00), because it builds up tension in a very enjoyable way

I like that part as well

Random observation: One of these Coruscant battle cues, probably the first one (1M3 Boys Into Battle) is the one that is described in the score reports as a "cross between the Battle of Yavin and Battle of Hoth", but to me it sounds most like the early Battle of Endor cues, mostly the start of the space battle.

John- who enjoys it :P

Yeah, there are traces of Endor in "They're Coming Around" (usually when those overbearing bass drums take a break) and "Get 'Em, R2!" Big, dramatic brass chords. That's good, of course.

I especially like the minute after Grievous´ Theme is played (i believe it´s around 05:00), because it builds up tension in a very enjoyable way :angry:

Yeah. Particulalrly like those driving rhythmic strings from 6:07 that play for about 20 seconds.

My favorite section is the rendition of the Force theme at the very beginning. I went into this score prepared to hate every bit of it, but that section impressed me (while the transition out of the TPM "Main Title" recording most certainly did not--in the movie or on the CD). I was actually looking forward to seeing how the section would fare in the movie, and I suppose that other than being almost completely buried under engine revving it was all right.

Glenn

The entire track is fantastic to cycle to (I've cropped out the Main Title for my mp3 player). The Force Theme opening is fantastic and adrenaline-pumping, the crescendos perfect for climbing a hill and the subsequent Grevious-themed sections (especially those turning string phrases) are great for the low-gear pedalling! Love the whole cue.

Does anybody know how to sync the end parts to the scenes they're intended to score?

I like the brief trumpet solo at 4:04 and what follows. But the whole piece is genuinely amazing . . . more so than Zam the Assassin if you ask me (although Zam has some great moments, as well).

Does anybody know how to sync the end parts to the scenes they're intended to score?

For the first section (4:46-5:21):

Start on the cut to the bridge, just before we see Grievous for the first time.

For the second section (5:21-7:31):

Start on the cut from the exterior to the interior of the elevator just before it stops.

most definalty when the force theme comes in at the beggining, and also (no on the cd) when we hear the rebellion motif after R2 destroys the buzz droid

Okay, how come no one has complained about the intense similarities between sections of this piece of music and The Rite of Spring? Not that that's a bad thing necessarily, but the 'homage' does feel a bit blatant.

My favourite part however would have to be those solo drum beats between the end of the Main Title and the start of the proceeding music. Such a spectacular and almost iconoclastic way to open the score and the film, these war drums serving as a perfect accompaniment to the ribald excalamation of "War!" that heralded the opening of the title scroll. Would it've been too much to put these ten seconds on the album? :baaa:

CYPHER

TBH the drum beats are not exactly complex musically, so it might be that Burtt recorded, added and synced them all himself.

Those drums were probably tracked in, replacing the first few seconds of post-Main Title music on the CD. The first thing after the drums in the film is the huge statement of the Force Theme.

And the missing part on the CD was tracked in later when the Clone Troopers arrive to fight Grievous' driods on Utapau. :roll:

My favourite part however would have to be those solo drum beats between the end of the Main Title and the start of the proceeding music. Such a spectacular and almost iconoclastic way to open the score and the film, these war drums serving as a perfect accompaniment to the ribald excalamation of "War!" that heralded the opening of the title scroll. Would it've been too much to put these ten seconds on the album?

Skip to 3:13 of "Star Wars and The Revenge of the Sith." Sound familiar? That's right, it's a tracking job.

Cerrabore - big fan of the album version "Main Title" segue

Hmm... interesting detective work guys. Oh well, it's about time Ben Burtt did something decent with the music! :mrgreen:

CYPHER

I thought the drums were Burtt's, specially since we learned he plays drum on church.

So what do you think? Williams intended to open the movie the album way and then Lucas/Burtt changed it, or was always planned that way?

I mean, it's Shawn Murphy who mixes the music, right? So Burtt would have access to the drums alone only if they were intended to be alone somewhere in the score (unless the were recorded alone, then mixed, and Burtt asked for them to Murphy afterwars since he liked them; I'm not sure about how this process works).

I think the drums are also somewhere in the score in an unreleased piece; i think it was the arrival to somewhere, but with so many arrivals in this movie I can't recall which one was it.

I think the missing part after the Main Title is indeed track in the arrival of clones to Utapau but not all of it I think.

I also like very much the album version of the segue, but losing a 5 movie tradition... The drums work fine, though the tone of the album versions is much more aproppiate for the PS2 ship battle that comes afterwards; the drums are too dramatic I think, they work perfectly though.

It wasn't meant to open the album way. You'll notice the album version doesn't sync up to the film (the sharp brass after the main title comes in too soon).

Not really, the 'new music' starts when the letters fade and the force theme starts right when it should.

It doesnt fit the action, since it is not happening any action, but thinking of it, we know there is war there, so maybe that's why it shouds that way, and the militaristic thing is not that bad for the Cruiser camera pan.

And aobut the isolated drums: it was mentioned some percusion was to be recorded sepparately due to overimposing sounds in the recording session review.

It wasn't meant to open the album way. You'll notice the album version doesn't sync up to the film (the sharp brass after the main title comes in too soon).

It does sync up. The trumpet screams (eh... screams. I dunno) end and the militaristic march starts the second the starship appears. And the Force theme comes in right on cue. Works very well, in my opinion.

after watching ROTS, i have to say OMG, R2 is THE COOLEST DROID EVAR! I love his amazing skillz. I wish R2 did that in Episode 6. Come on think about it. Imagine he poured oil all over Jabba and fired it! It would be so cool.

Too right! LOL As much as I thing giving Artoo too much attitude and too many accessories in the prequels was a questionable idea, I did think he was the best thing about ROTS. He was an absolute scream, especially on Grievous' ship.

Skip to 3:13 of "Star Wars and The Revenge of the Sith." Sound familiar? That's right, it's a tracking job.

Hmm... I listened to this track again tonight, and even though I didn't have a timer, I think I know the bit you're talking about. It's the Rite of Spring percussion pulse. Interesting... I've just finished re-listening to Attack of the Clones and now I'm going to dive back into Revenge of the Sith and hopefully reap the benefits of a little bit of thematic continuity. ;)

CYPHER