I'm already sick of WOTW!

Sandor

I really don't know why, but WOTW really leaves me stone-cold. Why are you guys looking forward to this so much?

You know what I think: WOTW will be THE flop of the summer. It will make around $180 (still a lot, but nowhere near the league of other, comparable hyped films).

And the score... I heard those soundclips and YUCK!!!! The score will function well in the film, but in the end it will be regarded as the biggest dissapointment in the Williams/Spielberg catalogue.

There you have it! This movie will dissapoint tremedousley on virtually every level.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

there is always the possibility you could be right, but I expect you to be wrong.

I suspect it will do the same amount of business that Minority Report did - not a flop, but not the greatest movie ever made. There's no reason to think Spielberg has lost his touch, and it barely has any competition!

I'm looking forward to it only because of Spielberg and Williams' involvement...the trailers have all been pretty bland. I assume Spielberg doesn't want to show too much too soon, which is a good idea. I expect it to be good, but not surprisingly so, and I agree with bondo about it being similar to Minority Report in quality.

They are complete blah... I'm not expecting much...

Oh and I saw Batman tonight... The entire score in the movie was comprised of this two note motif..... not fun.... monotinous.

I really enjoy the Batman Begins soundtrack. What I like about Zimmer and co is that when they score dramatic moments, they go straight for the heart with very simple ideas and orchestration. Works for me, esp. when so many others take a more ornate approach. Both work, and neither should be scoffed at.

I really don't know why, but WOTW really leaves me stone-cold. Why are you guys looking forward to this so much?  

You know what I think: WOTW will be THE flop of the summer. It will make around $180 (still a lot, but nowhere near the league of other, comparable hyped films).  

And the score... I heard those soundclips and YUCK!!!! The score will function well in the film, but in the end it will be regarded as the biggest dissapointment in the Williams/Spielberg catalogue.  

There you have it! This movie will dissapoint tremedousley on virtually every level.

Empty rhetoric based on a few sound clips that might total 5 minutes and all presented out of context.

Roald, you know, it's one thing to speak your mind about this, that's what message boards are for. But fella, what's with dismissing those of us who ARE looking forward to the score and film as somehow misguided? Are you so insecure that you feel that you must validate your opinions and speculations by passing them off as proclamations?

If you don't like something, fine. But don't even pretend to know WTF you're talking about in this matter. You haven't seen the film as far as I can tell and you haven't heard Williams' score. In fact, I find it ridiculous that you would even begin a thread with this subject heading. It's innane.

Pulling a Stefancos?

You know, the trailers don't make the film look that good. But I believe this is a little marketing genius on the part of Spielberg- DON'T SHOW ANYTHING TOO GOOD! What a wonderful respite from the usual trailers that feature pivotal scenes and in some cases, the friggin' climax of the film!

As for Williams' score, I just listened to those examples again and most of them sound really great. That wonderful pandiatonic string writing of Williams' for the Americana parts is unequalled. And I love the rhythmic elements of MR that found their way into this score. It sounds like Williams challenged himself to utilize that rhythmic figure but develop it in a different direction. I'm cannot wait for this score to be released. And I'll be lining up to see this film opening night.

I guess I won't be seeing you there Roald. Pity. :P

This movie will dissapoint tremedousley on virtually every level.

If WOTW was being produced by Centropolis and directed by Roland Emerich, I would agree with you. But, hey, it's a Steven Spielberg film; it will be a quality film on all levels. I expect it to be the biggest film of the summer...

This prediction coming from the man that wrote about Revenge of the Sith, "Well, I gave it a 10. It's exactly the film I wanted it to be and I think it's pretty awesome."

I'll take this WOTW prediction with a healthy grain of salt.

Neil - who thinks even if WOTW is terrible, it will still be better than ROTS

Hey Neil, do you reckon the masterpiece known as Plan 9 From Outer Space is a superior film experience to Revenge of the Sith?

I can't sit through Plan 9. Not sure I can sit through ROTS anymore either.

Neil

I don't think Spielberg could make a film like RoTS if he tried.

Well he tried, and parts of some animation could be his...

Empty rhetoric based on a few sound clips that might total 5 minutes and all presented out of context.

Roald, you know, it's one thing to speak your mind about this, that's what message boards are for. But fella, what's with dismissing those of us who ARE looking forward to the score and film as somehow misguided? Are you so insecure that you feel that you must validate your opinions and speculations by passing them off as proclamations?

If you don't like something, fine. But don't even pretend to know WTF you're talking about in this matter. You haven't seen the film as far as I can tell and you haven't heard Williams' score. In fact, I find it ridiculous that you would even begin a thread with this subject heading. It's innane.

Amen to that!!!!! :angry:

P.S.: Roald, you're the kind of guy who always finds something to complain. Take it easy, will ya??? And don't pull the rest of us who ARE looking forward to this down, okay?

You people have such short memories.

Roald is clearly "Hornering" (or is is "Zimmering"?) my brilliant satirical commentary on the enormous hype surrounding the ROTS score.

It's very funny Roald.

Not as funny as my original of course...but funny in a watered down, slightly failed carbon copy kinda way.

Just goes to show that there are leaders and there are followers.

I am a leader, the Self-Chosen One, who will wreak havoc on the MB?

What are you Roald?

Do you know...well do you?

This prediction coming from the man that wrote about Revenge of the Sith, "Well, I gave it a 10. It's exactly the film I wanted it to be and I think it's pretty awesome."

I'll take this WOTW prediction with a healthy grain of salt.

Yeah, and this is coming from a man who is one of the four persons on this earth that actually thinks Star Trek The Motion Picture is a good film. Hilarious.

P.S.: Roald, you're the kind of guy who always finds something to complain. Take it easy, will ya??? And don't pull the rest of us who ARE looking forward to this down, okay?

Where did you get that idea? I hardly ever complain on this board.

Roald is clearly "Hornering" (or is is "Zimmering"?) my brilliant satirical commentary on the enormous hype surrounding the ROTS score.

NO! I'm not a copycat and I'm REALLY sick of WOTW! This is not just messing around here.

For some reasons you guys still think Spielberg is the filmmaker he was back in 70's and early 80's. He isn't.

All this critisism towards Lucas not being able to recapture the magic of the original trilogy... No matter what you think of the quality of the films at least they brought in a shitload of money.

But Spielberg; the man has just lost the magic to produce a genuine hit! Jurassic Park and Saving Private Ryan may have been succesful, but A.I., Minority Report and The Terminal HAD to deliver and they didn't. Well; not in the way they should have. In must be noted though that I enjoy all those films.

And WOTW looks shitty to me! Are the main sequences all night scenes? Sigh...

Peter Jackson; THIS man will be the NEW Spielberg; the future of film. King Kong will succeed in a way WOTW never will.

What are you Roald?

Do you know...well do you?

Last time I checked he's married to a hot Asian chick.

I mean what else matters after that, really?

Justin

Peter Jackson; THIS man will be the NEW Spielberg; the future of film. King Kong will succeed in a way WOTW never will.

Well, I don´t know...I believe Jackson will probably become a second George Lucas. Jackson is now where Lucas was after Star Wars...

they are actually very similar (and I mean their careers, not their weight)

King Kong will succeed in a way WOTW never will.

Wholly undeserved of course...films about giant apes are as necessary as a crutch. Even moreso than films about an alien invasion.

To counter the argument about Spielberg not being the 'Jaws' guy anymore, well, neither is everyone else the person they used to be, so it's fair game.

And if Spielberg earns your respect with junk like 'Jurassic Park', so be it. Unfortunately, the film doesn't get better because of this.

I don't even consider watching 'Batman Begins' but at least hope 'WotW' will have some memorable sequences. I'm afraid Spielberg has sneaked in a sucky ending again.

I say: watch 'Kung Fu Hustle' and see what a REAL Popcorn film looks like :angry:

I'm glad Spielberg isn't the same guy he was back in the '70's. It would be boring if he kept spitting out the same films, even if they were great escapist films. The Terminal has some great filmmaking techniques in it and some really great dramatic points. Roald, if you're too thick to pick up on Spielberg's subtleties, that's your problem, not his.

But hey, like or dislike what you want. I don't have a problem with that. But when you pass off your opinions as some kind of authoritative facts, well pal, them's fightin' words. Especially when you present them in an elitist tenor. And honestly, what is the friggin' point of this thread except to ellicit heated responses? Do you get some perverse pleasure from stirring the pot? and what academic background do you possess with which to judge films objectively?

he made A oh nevermind.

I'm not the biggest fan of Williams new style of action scoring for TLW,AotC and MR.

So why do I like the soundclips from WotW a lot more.Something's different.

K.M.

Agree with you TLW (poor effort except for the chase, the old themes and the Lost World theme). Disgaree on the other two. The Arena in AOTC - if more than the first and last to minutes of it had been played in the film - is a brilliant piece of music. Driving, kinetic, different, primitive and gladiatorial, emotional and coherent. It is one of my favourite Williams long action pieces. MR: listen again to "Anderton's Great Escape". It really is a wonderful "romp"-type piece. Seriously, try listening to it again with an open mind, and see what you think.

The Lost World is a 5 star score guys, get it right please.

It's new and you are often times prone at making snap judgments on Williams' scores before hearing the completed thing?

Just a thought. :)

Justin - Who thinks there is a time and a place for snap judgments, and this is it!

The Lost World was the first score I ever purchased. It's beautiful in so many ways. Although I think a full 5 stars might be too much. I will contemplate on it.

Justin

But Spielberg; the man has just lost the magic to produce a genuine hit!

This is the most asinine complaint I've heard yet in this argument. It's one thing not to be interested in "War," but to complain that Spielberg has lost "magic" because he hasn't produced a "hit" really makes your argument look horribly foolish. Who the hell cares if a film is a hit or not besides those who invested in it? None of Spielberg's recent films have lost money, not even "The Terminal" when you account for all of the subsidiary markets. But that's neither here nor there. A "hit" film doesn't mean a good film, and if that's your criteria in your argument why you think "War" will suck, then everyone who has responded (myself included) has wasted their time even bothering to respond.

As for the equally odd complaint about the film taking place at night, there are obviously key sequences that take place both at night and in the day in the film. But why anyone would complain about a film, especially a horror film, taking place largely at night is beyond me. Are you afraid of the dark or something? It's such a strange thing to complain about.

And Fiery Angel and publicist are right on. Spielberg's not the same director he used to be, and thank God for that, right? I'd much rather see him take a chance and make the occasional "Terminal" then live in a regressive state by once exciting directors like George Lucas. Lucas may make "hits," but he doesn't make films like Spielberg does then or now.

Finally, I fear for the future of Pete Jackson's career. Someday, even if he's challenging himself as a director and his audiences as filmgoers, certain fans will disparage him when he stops making "hits," and they'll find another filmmaker to call the next Pete Jackson. May our recyclable heroes continue to keep us ensconced in a perpetual state of rehash, lest we will cast them to the rocks. :roll:

I am totally looking forward to King Kong but I honestly think Jackson is a wee bit overrated. His editing of action sequences in FOTR is borderline poor and definitely incongruant. Spielberg's pacing and editing of Jaws, Raiders, and yes even Minority Report, are outstanding thanks to Michael Kahn. Jackson's jump cuts are much too abrupt and many great shots or choreographed segments are lost in the editing frenzy. And he treats many emotional scenes in an operatic way, with drama escalating to melodrama. Until Jackson does something on par with Schindler's List or Jaws or E.T. or Close Encounters, I will remain having a healthy respect for him but refuse to place him on the same level as Spielberg. At least not just yet.

As far as Williams' music, well, technically the man is in a class unto himself. I like Shore and respect him for the intellectual decisions he makes toward scoring, I'm even anxious to hear his King Kong, but he's just not at the same level as Williams insofar as pure compositional technique is concerned IMO. And what's this about Williams not writing as good as he did? Um, why don't all the naysayers sit down, get his/her pencil and full score manuscript, and come up with something as kinetic and effective as "Everybody Runs" from MR or something with the beauty and pathos of "The Blue Fairy" theme from A.I. You'll find that trying to be John Williams for most is like trying to fly. Not gonna happen.

Until Jackson does something on par with Schindler's List or Jaws or E.T. or Close Encounters, I will remain having a healthy respect for him but refuse to place him on the same level as Spielberg.

That will never happen.

It's new and you are often times prone at making snap judgments on Williams' scores before hearing the completed thing?

Just a thought. :)

Justin - Who thinks there is a time and a place for snap judgments, and this is it!

It may be too early to tell,but the soundmix seems excellent.I like the brass that way.I can "feel" the cues very well.

K.M.

I agree with Fiery Angel, Peter Jackson is overrated. LotR succeeded in many ways and certainly PJ is responsible for many of them, but there are also aspects of his style that bother me throughout the films...like his constant use of slow motion (or slow, dreamlike scenes that feel too drawn out), and the heavy use of flashbacks and dream sequences (the section of Two Towers with Aragorn and Arwen dragged IMO). Deaths of main characters are way too long and typically use unnecessary slow motion, especially Boromir's.

Another major issue is that we're told how powerful and scary bad guys are, and they look and sound scary, yet they often appear incompetent. This problem was worst in FotR, especially with the wraiths and also with the Uruks, who are killed off as easily as regular orcs (in the extended edition they are killed with stones thrown by hobbits!). The exceptions are the cave troll and Lurtz, both of whom put up a good fight.

Don't get me wrong, I love LotR and think its successes far outweigh these problems. But for the sake of discussion, these are the reasons I think PJ is slightly overrated.

I think Kevin Smith is better than Spielberg, look at all the great movies he's done, ;

For some reasons you guys still think Spielberg is the filmmaker he was back in 70's and early 80's. He isn't.

But Spielberg; the man has just lost the magic to produce a genuine hit! Jurassic Park and Saving Private Ryan may have been succesful' date=' but A.I., Minority Report and The Terminal HAD to deliver and they didn't. Well; not in the way they should have. In must be noted though that I enjoy all those films. [/quote']

Steven Spielberg is not the filmmaker he was in the 70s and 80s - he's a better filmmaker. Don't confuse his choice of subject matter with his skill as a director. Steven Spielberg's style of directing has changed over the years. But he's so good at filmmaking, that it's humbling to people who know about filmmaking. Steven Spielberg truly is in a class by himself.

You said that you enjoyed all of the films mentioned above. If you enjoyed the films, then they delivered, didn't they? We are so obsessed with box office grosses that we've come to consider them as the ultimate indicia of success and quality. Some of my favourite films made very little money initially - but that doesn't mean they failed to deliver cinematically (they just failed to deliver financially).

I'm not naive enough to think that "art" is everything; the film industry is a very serious business. But, you should allow Steven Spielberg the courtesy of making the films he wants as he grows older - he's earned it. My tastes have changed as I've grown older, haven't yours?

Spielberg is unique. In all likelihood, we will never have such a talent again, ever. Okay, Peter Jackson, George Lucas, James Cameron and so on are able of producing huge box office hits, but no one has the magic touch of Spielberg. Even if -- and I repeat IF -- War of the Worlds should turn out to be a flop, it will still be a great movie, in terms of artistic merit.

P.S.: And Roald, okay, I understand you're already sick with WotW. But why do you bother creating this thread and even responding to our responses? Why do you bother with something that you're sick with? Do something else that cheers you up, what do you say?

Who would have thought that a film about a magic ring and a dark lord could carry that much emotion and powerful messages?

there are some of us who still don't beleive it did.

This thread comes from the guy who still refused to believe Williams was scoring the movie after it was confirmed...