Who is really Uncle Owen?

deimos

I've been thinking about it after Episode III. Well in fact I thought it after Ep II and then I remebered again.

What is the real link with Vader in the OT? Cause in ANW we only heard that he was uncle Owen (no last name) and he talked about Luke's father as his own brother, saying that he went on the clone wars and that he didn't cause he was a coward bowdown When then you see ESB, and you learn that Vader is Luke's father, then Owen becomes Vader's brother.

Why then everything becomes so unnatural in the PT? Is just to make Anakin a virgin's child? I mean, did Lucas change everything in what was supposedly the background of the story?

Another question in this direction: Is there anything, novels or other things from the OT that said what exactly were the clone wars? Because it looks to me as another change for "story's" sake. In fact in Imdb it says that ESB draft desctibed Lando as a clone that had survived with some others from the CW. Then it was obviously changed.

I guess all has been discused before (probably along time ago, in a galaxy...) but I'd like some answers :) from anyone that has info apart from that in the movies.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I was wondering something like this. In ANH, Obi-Wan tells Luke that Owen thought Anakin was too rash, and "Shouldn't have gotten involved" with the Clone Wars. When did Owen decide Anakin wasn't at the VERY BEGINNING of the Wars?

Owen was Anakin's step-brother, wasn't he? He was the son of the man who married Anakin's mother and was no blood relation whatsoever. Or have I put AOTC so far out of my head that I'm mis-remembering it.

As for Owen's disapproval of Anakin's involvement in the "Clone Wars", you got me. Maybe, possessing the knowledge of Anakin's fate, it was a poor attempt on his part to discourage Luke from finding out more information about his father and/or seeking out Obi Wan. Or maybe Obi Wan wasn't completely truthful with Owen and Beru (sp) when he handed over Luke.

Who the heck knows! At this point, I'm not even sure that Lucas knows. :?

Owen was Anakin's step-brother, wasn't he?  He was the son of the man who married Anakin's mother and was no blood relation whatsoever.  Or have I put AOTC so far out of my head that I'm mis-remembering it.

Nope, that's right. :P

Was Owen Lars in the Clone Wars cartoon series? That covers the beginning of the Clone Wars, from what I heard, so maybe Anakin came back to Tatooine to visit his mother's grave, had a talk with Owen, who said Anakin should come back to Tatooine and open a moisture farm.

In this way, Owen could have told Anakin to not get involved. But I didn't see the cartoon series, so I don't know.

No, he wasn't.

The original Star Wars implied that Anakin and Owen were brothers. Return of the Jedi muddled those waters, in that the novelization claims Owen was Obi-Wan's brother. In fact I think it's in the canon that Obi-Wan has a brother named Owen - but he is not "Uncle" Owen.

I was always under the impression (as Cerrabore mentions as a possibility) that Owen was Obi-Wan's brother. I don't know if Luke knew they were related or not.

Owen IS NOT Obi-Wan's brother. That's stupid. Owen is Anakin's step-brother.

As for everything Obi-Wan tells Luke about his family in ANH, it's all lies.

As for everything Obi-Wan tells Luke about his family in ANH, it's all lies.

From a certain point of view :P

I think the "Owen is Obi-Wan's brother" was a popular theory before Episode II came out and told a different story. I don't know how that idea got out there, but it was there.

Owen is Anakin's step-brother. Owen said that to Anakin in Episode II where Anakin came back to Tatooine to try and rescue his mother.

ANAKIN: I'm Anakin Skywalker.

OWEN: Owen Lars. This is my girlfriend, Beru.

BERU: Hello.

PADME: I'm Padme

OWEN: I guess I'm your stepbrother. I had a feeling you might show up some day.

script

Owen Lars had toiled to make a life for himself on Tatooine since a young age. The son of Cliegg Lars, a moisture farmer, he greatly valued the traditions of discipline and hard work. As a young man, he had a strong vision of what he wanted to make of himself, and that vision was firmly rooted on Tatooine. His goals were clear and attainable through discipline. He would turn the Lars homestead into a productive farm, and live there with his love, Beru Whitesun.  

Complicating this simple life was his nephew. At the behest of Obi-Wan Kenobi, Owen and Beru were made the wards of Luke Skywalker, the son of Owen's stepbrother, Anakin. Lingering resentment over the actions of Anakin Skywalker and Obi-Wan Kenobi would color Owen's opinions for years.  

Owen attempted to raise his nephew as a normal youth, keeping him from the fact that his veins coursed with Jedi blood and that his "dead" hero father was not simply a freighter navigator. The farmer tried to pass on his values to Luke. Though he was a caring guardian, Owen's demeanor was gruff and strict, which often led to tension between him and his daydreaming nephew. It usually fell to Beru to iron out the differences between Owen and Luke.  

Read more here

I know the official story about being step-brothers that was told in Ep II. Star Wars.com databank is awesome for those things. I just wanted to know if at some point before the PT came out something else besides the step-brother thing is implied somewhere as if Lucas had other ideas in his head. Cause the Lars lines about Vader in ANH seems rather nonsense now. I mean, they meet like, 20 seconds!, including the 'to find my mother, you helpless asshole! line; that's not a deep relation to talk about with a feeling of nostalgia.

I'd already read about Owen and Ben Kenobi being brothers in the novel of ROTJ but I also read that it was only in the first editions and then it was corrected. For those who live in spain, can the novels from the OT can be found now in stores?

I got the OT trilogy from the "Circulo de Lectores' back in 1997. THe OWen -Obi relation was already fixxed. You may still find them by Martinez Roca (MR) editors, or try a library :P

When i saw Owen was Anakin's step brother it felt as i had always know it, it didnt feel strange.

Well now it seems that both Obi wan and Owen tried not to tell what his father had becoe, and told him lies. Owen even forbade Obi wan to come to his house since when he was a youngster (16 or less) and was lost with a friend near Ben's house, and he found them and bring them to the lars'. Ben then suggested to start training and give lightsaber, and owen went mad and kick his ass to never come again. (source -> radio drama).

The clone wars, as in old perceptions was a war in what both sides looked like they used clones too, and were so cruel with these 'people' that they were not used again. And some planets like alderaan choose not to have weapons. It seems that Obi wan worked in Alderaan as a Jedi general (or bail organa told that story to leia as a backstory to why he sent her to look for him)

The Timothy Zhan books always deal with cloning. There is much informatio there about the old perception.

(spaarti cilinders and so)

BEN

Your insight serves you well. Bury your feelings deep down, Luke. They  

do you credit.

But they could be made to serve the Emperor.

Luke looks into the distance, trying to comprehend all this.

BEN  (continuing his narrative)

When your father left, he didn't know your mother was pregnant. Your  

mother and I knew he would find out eventually, but we wanted to keep  

you both as safe as possible, for as long as possible.  So I took you  

to live with my brother Owen on Tatooine... and your mother took Leia  

to live as the daughter of Senator Organa, on Alderaan.

Luke turns, and settles near Ben to hear the tale.

BEN  (attempting to give solace with his words)

The Organa household was high-born and politically quite powerful in  

that system. Leia became a princess by virtue of lineage... no one knew  

she'd been adopted, of course. But it was a title without real power,  

since Alderaan had long been a democracy.  Even so, the family  

continued to be politically powerful, and Leia, following in her foster  

father's path, became a senator as well.  That's not all she became, of  

course... she became the leader of her cell in the Alliance against the  

corrupt Empire. And because she had diplomatic immunity, she was a  

vital link for getting information to the Rebel cause.  That's what she  

was doing when her path crossed yours... for her foster parents had  

always told her to contact me on Tatooine, if her troubles became  

desperate.

Luke is overwhelmed by the truth, and is suddenly protective of his  

sister.

LUKE

But you can't let her get involved now, Ben. Vader will destroy her.

BEN

She hasn't been trained in the ways of the Jedi the way you have,  

Luke... but the Force is strong with her, as it is with all of your  

family. There is no avoiding the battle. You must face and destroy  

Vader!

- Return of the Jed: third draft

20 years ago it was scripted that they were brothers. Then Lucas realized how dumb that was and made Owen Anakin's stepbrother.

There is now no connection between Owen and Obi-Wan.

Owen is Anakin's step-brother. Owen said that to Anakin in Episode II where Anakin came back to Tatooine to try and rescue his mother.

ANAKIN: I'm Anakin Skywalker.

OWEN: Owen Lars. This is my girlfriend, Beru.

BERU: Hello.

PADME: I'm Padme

OWEN: I guess I'm your stepbrother. I had a feeling you might show up some day.

script

Wow, it sounds just as bad when you read it to yourself.

Here's another possibility about the "thought he (Anakin) should have stayed here and not gotten involved" thory:

In Ep. II, when Anakin and Padme take off to rescue Obi-wan, Owen might have made some kind of protest off-camera to Beru that he had hoped Anakin would stay on Tatooine and not gotten involved in the conflict, to remove himself from the Jedi Order and become a moisture farmer.

Then, Obi-wan found this out when he dropped off Luke. They had a discussion at some point about what happened to Anakin, and Owen reiterated his disdain over the Clone Wars.

Seems simple, and probably a good explanation. Of course, this all happened off-camera, so we can only speculate.

The answer to that question is so simple that it can be summed up in 3 sentences.

I have something here for you. Your father wanted you to have this when you were old enough, but your uncle wouldn't allow it. He feared you might follow old Obi-Wan on some damn fool idealistic crusade like your father did.

I know, and mites are arachnids.

Scurfy is the name of the disease?

Its about them getting inside the place where hair grows and live there, or they introduce into the hairs. Pretty lil' bastards i think they are.

I know, and mites are arachnids.

Scurfy is the name of the disease?

A more correct term is mange:

Main Entry: mange

Pronunciation: 'mAnj

Function: noun

Etymology: alteration of Middle English manjewe, from Middle French mangene itching, from mangier to eat

: any of various persistent contagious skin diseases marked especially by eczematous inflammation and loss of hair, affecting domestic animals or sometimes humans, and caused by a minute parasitic mite -- compare SARCOPTIC MANGE

Its about them getting inside the place where hair grows and live there, or they introduce into the hairs. Pretty lil' bastards i think they are.

Nothing compared to this:

camel%20spider%2001-2.jpg

How did we get from Uncle Owen to scary pictures of mites? And I think Stefancos meant scurvy.

Maybe Owen and Obi-Wan didn't want Luke to go looking for his father, since that would expose both Obi-Wan and Luke to the Emperor and Vader?

Here's how it could work. In ROTS, Bail says they're all waiting for the right time. When Obi-Wan sees R2, he remembers him, but not owning him...because he never did own him, but he knew him. So when he saw R2, he knew Bail was sending the signal to get the Rebellion kicked into full gear. "You must learn the ways of the Force and come with me to Alderaan." Owen knew this would happen, so he just tried to brainwash Luke into thinking that he wasn't a major part of the Galaxy so he could stick around and help on the farm.

Now here's some food for thought...did Vader have Owen murdered? Was he trying to get to Obi Wan through the Larses? Was he trying to get to Luke? (Since he figured Obi Wan would probably know about his kid, since it was in his dream.)

<i>Now here's some food for thought...did Vader have Owen murdered? Was he trying to get to Obi Wan through the Larses? Was he trying to get to Luke? (Since he figured Obi Wan would probably know about his kid, since it was in his dream.)</i>

No, it was just coincidence that they were killed. If Vader knew they were there, he wouldn't have waited until they happen to be going by two decades after Luke's birth, and would have tried harder after they failed.

BTW, thanks for the info regarding the history of the Owen=Obi-Wan's brother idea.