Tom Cruise FreakOUT!

JMan

Has anyone heard this in the news...at the premiere of WOTW in Europe someone sprayed a watergun at Cruise as he is walking down the carpet and he got really angry and had the person/people involved arrested. Is that a little over the top???!!!!!!

Does he really have a stick up his you know what or is it me?

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has anyone heard this in the news...at the premiere of WOTW in Europe someone sprayed a watergun at Cruise as he is walking down the carpet and he got really angry and had the person/people involved arrested. Is that a little over the top???!!!!!!  

This is not how it happened. He wanted to answer the interviewer but got sprayed in his face for trying.

This is not how it happened. He wanted to answer the interviewer but got sprayed in his face for trying.

You are right. I didnt know that...I would be angry too if I were Cruise.

I've never been 100% sure on putting up links, but here's the incident:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/f...ilm/4107922.stm

It's one thing to be the wacky intern at a movie premiere asking stupid questions for comedy's sake, but it's another thing entirely to squirt water in a person's face. That's plain wrong and not funny.

I think Cruise was still reasonably diplomatic after getting squirted by asking the camera man why he would do that. I think he was pretty calm about the whole thing and justified in saying what he did.

If Cruise was on a show where the intention was comedy or abuse of a celeb like the defunct TISWAS that would be one thing. But at a movie premier that was in very poor taste on the part of that comedy show.

Tom's reaction was admirable (imo). He stuck that joke cameraman on the spot, and made him face the consequences of how childish his actions really were. The whole joke fell apart when he was asked "Why would you do that?..". On the note of the arrest. Well we've had people open a front door and have Hydrolchloric Acid thrown in their face in revenge attacks in the UK (and the worst thing about one particular case is that they got the wrong person, and she's scarred for life). So a celebrity having strange liquid squirted at their face at a premiere is bound to make them shaky.

So what celebrities aren't supposed to angry when they are assaulted?

I'm not a fan of Cruise, but my hat's off to him. He handled the incident well. I like that he made the pranksters look like idiots. Maybe the "jokesters" have an eccentric sense of humour, but I don't see anything funny in the incident. I'm OK with the "jokesters" being charged with assault/mischief.

I'd be pretty damn pissed if someone did that to me, and wouldn't feel out of line in getting them thrown in jail for the night if I could.

Ray Barnsbury

And it's not that Cruise can't take a joke. I've seen an interview where the interviewer deliberately asked Cruise silly questions to make fun of him and Cruise almost suffocated on the spot from laughing so hard.

What kind of weirdos do they breed there in England???????

Very fitting to put that right after my post :P

We used to have a comedy slot on TV called Dennis Pennis (who always reminds me of Stefancos). Instead of doing something physical like squirting water, he would just get the stars attention at premiers and then ask them an absurd question with witty implications, and leave them reeling instead. It has to be said that most of his meetings were hilarious. He eventually became so notorious, that other stars heard about him on the thorn tree and remembered his face in order to avoid him at the premiers. But Dennis never did something like squirt water at them.

Here are some examples of what he said :

To Kevin Costner

"Dennis: "Hi man, morning, I've come a long way to see you. Listen in Waterworld you play some kind of fish. Don't you think it's inevitable you get battered by the critics?"

To Richard Gere

Dennis: "As you're a Buddhist, do you like Tibet or do you think gambling's wrong?"

It's not his real name.

I saw some of his stuff. Pretty funny. I remember he kept asking Tom Hanks to just say "fuck" already, because he always played these nice guys.

Nobody remembers this?

Steve Martin walks on the carpet and walks up to Dennis Pennis from the BBC2.

Dennis Pennis' first question: "Hey Steve, how come you're not funny anymore?"

Steve Martin turns around in disgust and cancelled his trip to England to promote Sgt. Bilko.

Is there a statute of limitations on this assault with a water pistol?

My brother squirted me when I was 5.

Just wondering if I can still press assault charges,

I don't think I would care. But after all the bad press, I would be more confused and possibly hurt than if I'd had only good press. Who knows what it's like to be famous? Probably someone that famous sees the press and the public with a little hostility under the surface, ready to break out at any minute. I think Tom could have moved on and kept cool.

I'll start this off by saying that I have virtually no respect for Tom Cruise. But he handled that well. "I'm here giving you an interview and answering your questions and you do something really nasty. You're a jerk." Well said.

I don't think it was Cruise that had them arrested. It looked like he just wanted to browbeat them. It probably was event security or a publicist.

Stefancos didn't miss the "Tibet / To Bet" joke, surely? 8O

Btw, you're right though. I know many Buddhists in Nepal who are refugees from Tibet, and now are involved in underground gambling in Kathmandu. From being a pennyless refugee, one young Tibetan i helped out in North India when he'd first arrived after escaping over the mountains, later moved to Kathmandu. I then met him a few years later loaded to the eyeballs with relative wealth due to getting involved in the underground "gambling" crowd that is run by Tibetans in Nepal. Mind you, just being Buddhist doesn't automatically make people into monks. In Asia itself it's often a similar case to how many people in the west will call themselves "Christian" by default, even though in their daily life they hardly embody any of the qualities or even go to Church. Same situation in many Buddhist countries. Many are just Buddhist in name really.

Stefancos didn't miss the "Tibet / To Bet" joke, surely?  8O

Joke...what joke, what do you mean?

Mind you, just being Buddhist doesn't automatically make people into monks.

Good thing too, the image of my girlfriend with a bald scalp and those funky orange robes does not appeal to me.

In Asia itself it's often a similar case to how many people in the west will call themselves "Christian" by default, even though in their daily life they hardly embody any of the qualities or even go to Church. Same situation in many Buddhist countries. Many are just Buddhist in name really.

You do not have to remind me of that which I know so well.

From

http://www.factnet.org/Scientology/celebri...on.html?FACTNet

Tom Cruise became psychotic during a secret Scientology initiation in which one is told that rather than being one person, one is composed of thousands of aliens from all over the universe fighting for control of your body. After completing this initiation, known as OT III, Tom appeared sickly with black circles under his eyes and pasty skin. He said he wanted to be away from Scientology for good. He just wanted to go back to Hollywood and his home and be left alone by Scientology. This would not happen; David Miscavige ordered Cruise could not be let go. Scientology worked on Cruise day and night until he finally returned to Scientology.

More wacky stuff inside!

Should've seen him vs Matt Lauer this morning!

"Matt, Matt, you're just being glib!" He wasn't his usual Cruise-y self

I know there is no such thing as "bad publicity" but Spielberg can't be happy about all this. It's diverting attention away from a new movie, which is why Cruise is being booked on all of these shows in the first place, and it's making him so unlikable that I would'nt be surprised if people decide to stay away from the movie becuase this guy's an censored.

Neil

That's what I've heard. We hardly see anything but his face. Each shot we see is responded with a close-up with one of Cruise's expressions. Not so in SPR or Schindler's List. I'm sorry. I fear for this movie. I thought Minority Report was also just another Cruise vehicle. Cruise is the star, not Spielberg.

That's what you have heard?

Again you base your opinion about a film that has yet to be released on some vague notions.

Ever tried WATCHING a film and then having an opinion about it?

Fear and trepidation... lead to the Dark Side, or are you already there Alex?

That's what I've heard. We hardly see anything but his face. Each shot we see is responded with a close-up with one of Cruise's expressions. Not so in SPR or Schindler's List. I'm sorry. I fear for this movie. I thought Minority Report was also just another Cruise vehicle. Cruise is the star, not Spielberg.

Then that's what Steven Spielberg wanted; I think we all know that WOTW would be a hit no matter who stars in it - having Cruise in the lead role just makes Paramount less nervous.

This is a Steven Spielberg film, and Tom Cruise (who takes himself far too seriously, judging by his interview with Matt Lauer) is lucky to be in it!

I forget when it was, but I was watching some interview a while back and I realized that the dude takes himself way too seriously. He gave me the impression that since he was famous, he thought the world revolved around him and was pretty much stuck on himself.

Was the Lauer interview where he was saying things like, "I care about everyone in this room," and started pointing around to the crew and everybody? I think I might've caught that... Yeah, pretty weird. I thought it was kind of odd that he said that after forming my opinion that he was rather self-involved. Either I was wrong or he's going nuts. Anyway...I hope the movie's good!