O.T. What are your favorite "Star Trek" moments.

JoeinAR

Several of us kind of did this in other posts. I especially wonder what Stefan has to say as he is the deity of all Star Trek deities.

Joe, who will post his later as it is 12:30 and must go to bed and watch Twilight Zone.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

"Only Nixon can go to China"

-Spock

-They're animals!

-They're dying.

-Let them die!

Kirk & Spock

"Bones!"

Kirk

"Spock!"

Kirk

"Jim!"

Spock and Bones

"... you green blooded vulcan"

McCoy

"Nuclear wessels"

Chekov

Star Trek - The Motion Picture - Kirk and Scotty touring the Enterprise, beautifully shot and wonderfully scored

Star Trek II - The Wrath of Khan - 2 sections, both from the battle in the Mutara Nebula - the crew getting ready (loading the torpedoes and running up and down the hallways) and when the Enterprise rises above the Reliant, just before the final attack

Star Trek - Generations - the crash

Star Trek - Insurrection - the end credits :tongue2:

Neil - "Full stop. Z-minus 10,000 meters. Standby photon torpedoes."

But seriously, I do love the comedic moments of 4 (Spock ruled in that one), and the "BASTARD" moment of 3 and the destruction of the Enterprise.

Other than that... the fade to black part.

"May whatever God you believe in... have mercy on your soul."

-Q

I love all the Q dialogue from "All Good Things..."

Lucas should have hired the guy(s) to write the screenplay for AOTC :mrgreen:

"There is an old vulcan proverb: only Nixon could go to China"

- Spock, Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country

"Oh, SHIT!"

- Data, Star Trek: Generations

"Life forms, you little life forms..."

- also Data, Star Trek: Generations

DS9 has tons of brilliant moments. Among many, many others:

"It's a faaake!!" and just about every other sentence from 'In the pale Moonlight'.

"When I was eighteen, the worst thing that could happen to a young man happened to me: My father died." and, as above, just about every other sentence form 'The Visitor'.

Well, there you go. Many more moments to choose from but I suppose those two episodes best represent what I always loved about DS9. It's a shame Trek died when DS9 ended...

I think I'll stick with my Star Wars. :)

~Harry

There are more good Star Trek films than there are good Star Wars films.

Neil

I've seen Star Trek VI, Star Trek: Generations, and Star Trek: First Contact - by far, my favorite. I've been wanting to sit down one weekend and watch all the ST films so that I may appreciate them. But I want to get the scores first.

Dan - who has 2 of the scores. The Undiscovered Country and First Contact -- which, I hear, is, by far, the best.

:) "Main Title" from Patch Adams (Shaiman)

I have none, as I never have seen Star Trek anything.  

Poor Potter. 8O

And Director, you must see Trek 2 and 4.

My favorite exchange is between Spock and Nomad in "The Changeling" from the Original Series:

Nomad: "That unit is defective. It's thinking is chaotic. absorbing it unsettled me."

Spock: "That unit...is a woman."

Nomad: "A mass of conflicting impulses."

I mean, can you beat that for Macho tinking of the 60s?

But the best moment for me is in Wrath of Whan, when Kirk calls Spock after being stranded in the asteroid for only 2 hours. That's Star Trek at its best!

Dan - who has 2 of the scores. The Undiscovered Country and First Contact -- which, I hear, is, by far, the best.

The best score of the series is Goldsmiths's score to Star Trek - The Motion Picture. The best film of the series is Star Trek II - The Wrath of Khan.

Neil - posting a generally accepted opinion

Ok some of my favorite moments.

Anytime in the original series when you see the Enterprise from behind. I love that perspective. It is comfortable.

In Piece of the Action at the end when Dr McCoy admits he left his communicator in Bela's office and Kirk tells him It upsets the whole percetage. In a few year they'll want a piece of our action, and then some of the best end music ever in the series.

In Eleyan of Troyus when Kirk lures the Klingons in is absolutely a great sequence.

The part of Search for Spock when they steal the Enterprise.

When the Enterprise burns up reentering the atmosphere around Genesis, and Kirk say My God Bones what have I done. And Dr McCoy replies What you always do, turn death into a fight chance for life.

The end of Best of Both Worlds PT1, when Riker says fire.

When Jake risks his entire life to save his Dad.

When Garak learns that 800 million of his fellow cardasians have died, the look on his face is haunting.

When you find out that the Doctor has named himself "JOE". I like that.

When the older Adm. Janeway sacrifices herself to save her ship and her younger self.

The end of And All Good Things... when Picard sits down to play cards and he looks at his "family" and say "I should have done this years ago", and Troi says "You were always welcome".

That last on is what Star Trek is all about.

Joe, who thinks the film Searc for Spock, while not the best film comes closest to capturing what the series was all about, of all the films.

Ok some of my favorite moments.

Anytime in the original series when you see the Enterprise from behind.  I love that perspective.  It is comfortable.

In Piece of the Action at the end when Dr McCoy admits he left his communicator in Bela's office and Kirk tells him  It upsets the whole percetage.  In a few year they'll want a piece of our action, and then some of the best end music ever in the series.  

In Eleyan of Troyus when Kirk lures the Klingons in is absolutely a great sequence.

The part of Search for Spock when they steal the Enterprise.

When the Enterprise burns up reentering the atmosphere around Genesis, and Kirk say My God Bones what have I done. And Dr McCoy replies What you always do, turn death into a fight chance for life.

The end of Best of Both Worlds PT1, when Riker says fire.

When Jake risks his entire life to save his Dad.

When Garak learns that 800 million of his fellow cardasians have died, the look on his face is haunting.

When you find out that the Doctor has named himself "JOE".  I like that.

When the older Adm. Janeway sacrifices herself to save her ship and her younger self.

The end of And All Good Things... when Picard sits down to play cards and he looks at his "family" and say "I should have done this years ago", and Troi says "You were always welcome".  

That last one is what Star Trek is all about.

Joe, who thinks the film Search for Spock, while not the best film comes closest to capturing what the series was all about, of all the films.

Neil - posting a generally accepted opinion

Hmmm..I think i agree about ST2 being the best film of the lot. I remember watching the film in a movie house as a kid , and gasping at the scene where they all walk into the Genesis Cave for the first time. Wonderful visuals. Goldsmiths Motion Picture score is beautiful and dark. But i also adore Horner's Wrath of Khan score. So 'd find it hard to rate one above or below the other. "Genesis Countdown" is one of my all time favourites of movie scoring..hehehe.. I did like Undiscovered Country though. A return to form and good story. Conspiracy in space. Score was great too. Apart from a few silly attempts at trying to emulate Star Wars on Rura Penthe, it was a wonderful film i thought.

So, onto Star Trek moments..hehe

Um..let me think

"It is the will of LAAANDRUUU" (original series...funny episode)

"Dooont LAUGH AT ME....(evil downward stare from Charlie X)

"MISTER DATA!" ( common loud shakesperian bark from Picard )

"I wanna LIIIIIVEEE" ( Kirk's other half self after transporter seperation)

"This makes you too dangerous a species for ouur needs" (bubble head in - The Cage)

"Stand by for our transmission.......here it comes" ( Kirk - ST2 )

"Mr garth" (spock)...."LORD GARTH" (garth)..."(pause and eyebrow raise) as you wish" (Spock)

The "Whom Gods destroys" episode cracks me up..They should show it on TV again.

Basically any episode where Kirk is overacting his pain or torment.

Or when they land on an utopian ancient greek type passivist culture.

Those always make way for Kirk getting upset and angry with them. :)

There are so many episodes/films.....its hard to remember the best bits.

Apart from a few silly attempts at trying to emulate Star Wars on Rura Penthe, it was a wonderful film i thought.

What do you mean, how did it emulate Star Wars?

Because it was crap...hehehe

No just joking....just joking.... :)

I felt there were too many "unusual and varied monsters".

It just reminded me of the Cantina from Star Wars a bit.

What about the scene in Star Trek III inside the bar where they are trying to charter a flight to Genesis? Didn't that remind you of Star Wars at all?

Neil - "How can you be deaf with ears like that?"

True...true

Ayahuasca - Who got his dusty CD of Robocop (Poledouris) out

of the back room today. I'd forgotten how good that score is. :)

I felt there were too many "unusual and varied monsters".  

That's silly :)

"Everyone remember where we parked..."

Kirk - Star Trek 4: The Voyage Home

"... I thought we could cover some philosophical ground. Life. Death. Life."

"I did not have time to review the philosophical teachings on Vulcan."

"C'mon, Spock. It's me. You really have gone 'where no man has gone before'."

"I'm sorry Doctor, but without a common frame of reference."

"You mean I have to die to discuss you thoughts on Death?"

"I am sorry Doctor, but I'm picking up a number of distress signals."

"I'll bet you are..."

McCoy and Spock - Star Trek 4: The Voyage Home

The final scene in the last episode of DS9, where the camera shot pulls back from the station and into infinity.

Also from the last episode in the DS9 series where James Darrin sings "The Way You Look Tonight" and they cut through the musical montage of the various characters...

The episode of Voyager, where Seven of Nine attempts dating and dis-locates the ensigns shoulder on the dance floor LOL

just a few... more to follow.

Big Ken: who loved all Star Trek incarnations... until "Enterprise" :)

What about the scene in Star Trek III inside the bar where they are trying to charter a flight to Genesis? Didn't that remind you of Star Wars at all?

It does, but remember, Star trek got there first, with The journey to Babel, which featured scenes of several alien races eating and drinking aboard The Enterprise.

It was a low budget show, so they could not do the elaborate staging and make up that star wars had, but Trek definatly had it first.

Also, the creators od DS9 have always said thay Quark's Bar was inspired by the star wars cantina.

Stefancos- who likes it when the 2 greatest sci-fi franchises inspire each other.

I'll agree with several of you and add a couple other ones:

-Destruction of the Enterprise in Star Trek 3

-The entire DS9 Episode "The Visistor"

-Sisko & Cassidy Yates' final scene in the DS9 finale (using music from The Visitor)

-Picard playing his Resickan Flute in "The Inner Light"

-Spock losing control of his emotions in "The Naked Time" (amazing 1 shot scene)

-"He tasks me. He tasks me, and I shall have him...."

-Kirk, Spock, and McCoy in Yosemite wondering why they spend their shoreleave together. :)

Jake - thinking of giving "Best of Star Trek (30th Anniv) CD a spin.

My fav Trek moments.

ST 1- the 6 minute Enterprise scene, gloriues mixture of special effects and music.

ST 2- thw whole Battle in the Mutara Nebula/Genesis countdown sequence, and offcourse Spocks death.

ST 3

the 'Dr McCoy and i have to do this, you do dot."scene, the moment when you can see that Kirk will go back to Genesis, regardless of the consequenses, Kirk's reaction to David's death, and the Katra Ritual and Spock's return.

ST 4- to many to name, the script might be filled with plot holes, but the film has so mant great moments, especially the scnes of kirk and spock in San Fransisco.

ST 5- the camp-fire scene, McCoy's scene were we see him with his dying father, Spock and Kirk near the end "please, not in front of the Klingons"

ST 6- The scene between Kirk and Spock, were Kirk confesses his rascism.

The uncomfortable diner scene, Sulu coming down hard on Christian Slater, the forced mind meld, the final goodbye scene.

Generations- The enterprise B scenes (nice comfortable banter between Kirk, Scotty and Chekov), the disturbing scene were Picard breaks down and starts crying, Data tasting food, the crash of the Enterprise, Picard's Nexus scene, the pleasant banter between Kirk and Picard.

First Contact- Picard'd nightmare, the battle against the Cube, the Lily/Picard scenes, the Data/Borg Queen scenes, Zef Cochrane "You people are all astronauts...on some kind of star trek?", Troi drunk, the First Contact scene.

insurrection- Worf, Data and Picard singing "A British tar', Worlf's "gorch", the duscussion between Picard and Anij (well acted, with a long single take shot, and a great cue by Goldsmith), The Riker Manuever, "And have you noticed how your boobs are starting to firm up?" :) , the kiss between Picard and Anij (oh, wait, they cut that out. :cry: )

TNG- The scenes between Data and Lal (The Offspring), Ensign Ro, the scenes with Picard and Sarek (Sarek and Unification part 2), most scenes from The Inner Light, "THERE...ARE...FOUR...LIGHTS!!!" (Chain Of Command part 2), the final scene of All Good Things.

DS9- the battle at Wolf 359, the confrontation between Sisko and Picard, the moment when Sisko break down (Emissary), The entire The Homecoming/The Circle/The Siege story, Kira's confession in "Necessary Evil", The destruction of The Odyssey in "The Jem `Hadar", the "Crossover" episodes to the parralell "Mirror, Mirror universe, especially tightly leather clad dominatrix Intendant Kira.

The Way Of The Warrior, The Visitor, the kiss between Dax and Lenar Kahn in "Rejoined", then entire 7 part story of season 5 and 6 (from Call to Arms to Sacrifice of Angels), Sisko and Gul Dukat in "Waltz" (great acting), the concept, acting and general execution of the episode "Far Beyond the Stars", Jadzia's death and Sisko's dispear in "Tears of the Prophets", Avery Brooks intense performance of Sisko in the season 7 openers "Image in the Sand and Shadows and Symbols", the script, music and acting in "The Siege of AR-558", Dukat's eerie turn in "Covenant", the last half of season 7, were most plot threads are neatly tied together.

The goodbye scenes in "What you Leave Behind", the final shot of the space station, underscorec by McCarthy's powerfull theme.

Offcourse i could include all those wonderfull little moments between Quark and Odo, O'Brien and Bashir, Dax and Sisko, Garak, Dukat, Winn, Damar, Weyoun...etc...etc...

Voyager- Scorpion part 1 and 2, great script, acting and music (someone release it DAMMIT!!!)

Stefancos- who will buy ALL the Deep Space Nine DVD's when they FINALLY release them.

I was awaiting your comments Stefan. I suspected you liked Way of the Warrior. I love the end space battle.

but of course you and I both know that the greatest space battles ever filmed were not in Star Wars but in Star Trek DS9. And there were many many great ones.

Joe. who just watched Way of the Warrior pt 2.

I just think basically all of the 80's scenes in Voyage Home are classic.

You gotta love that song that punkrock dude is listening to on the bus before Spock spocks him.

"I am Locutus of Borg. Resistance is futile. Your life, has it has been, is over. From this time forward, you will service...us."

--Locutus of Borg

"Mister Worf...Fire!"

--Riker

"Best of Both Worlds, Part I"

Geordi La Forge and Ro Laren's "coming back from the dead" in "The Next Phase" always brings makes me teary-eyed, it's probably my favorite moment in all of Star Trek.

Kira and Odo's first kiss on the Promenade in "His Way"

"You're right, who needs dinner?"

Chief O'Brien and Captain Sisko interacting with Captain Kirk in "Trials and Tribble-ations"

Scotty and Kirk's external tour of the refitted NCC-1701 in The Motion Picture.

The Kobayashi Maru in Star Trek II.

"How we deal with death is at least as how important as how we deal with life, Mister Saavik."

--Kirk

Spock's death scene in Star Trek II

"He's dead, Jim."

--Bones

"...Don't try to be a great man, just be a man, and let history judge you."

--Riker

"That's ridiculous, who said that?"

--Zefram Cochrane

"You did, fifteen years from now."

--Riker

paraphrased from "First Contact"

There's lots more great moments, lines, etc. in Star Trek, I just can't think of them right now. Star Trek gets a bad wrap because it's very cerebral and technical, very character driven; since there's over six-hundred hours of Trek stories committed to film, miss a few episodes and you very well could be confused as all hell, especially when it comes to DS9. Star Wars, on the other hand, only has 5 movies, so it's far easier to jump into.

(Expanded universes of books, etc. don't count here.)

Darth Wojo - Who agrees that there are far more good Star Trek films than good Star Wars films, and way more than good movies based on books by J.K. Rowling.

If I were crashed on a desert island and could only take all the Star Trek shows and movies or all the Star Wars movies, I wouldn't think twice about taking all the Star Trek stuff, it'd win in a heartbeat.

And yes, this desert island has a Tokamak fusion reactor, so I'd be in no fear of losing power.

And just why exactly is Stefancos "the deity of all Star Trek deities?"

:?: :?: :?: :?:

And just why exactly is Stefancos "the deity of all Star Trek deities?"

:?:  :?:  :?:  :?:

this is something you must ask Stefan. He does seem to be the master of DS9, but my knowledge of the original series far surpasses his.

He and I are equal on the films. And I know more about Voyager than he does. but he is the diety, not I.

Joe.

My favorite Star Trek episodes are "THe Best of Both Worlds" part 1&2. They are just classic episodes in which Captain Picard is assimilated into Locutus, and the crew has to create a rescue mission to save him.

Favorite Quotes:

(cue spanish guitar music)

Riker: I don't need you fantasy woman.

Q: Oh you're so stolid, you weren't like that before the beard.

Riker: Shut Up!

Picard (older and supposedly at rank of admiral): Excuse me?

Riker: I said Shut up, as in shut your mouth and stop talking.

Troi: I'm sensing some hostility Will...

Riker: Troi, Back Off!

Q: Let us pray, for understanding, and for compassion.

Picard: Let us do no such Damn thing!

Picard: Shut Up Wesley!

-Jason who loves TNG

You gotta love that song that punkrock dude is listening to on the bus

Just we're in the future,

The things we could've said.

Let's just push the button,

We'd be better off dead!

'Cause I hate you!

And I berate you!

And I can't wait to get to you.

The sins of all the fathers

Were given to the sons

The only choice we're given

Is how many megatons?!

And I eschew you

And I say, '*Screw you*!

And I hope you're blue too.

I found that here.

Neil

kirk.gif

Am i alone in liking the 60's series more?  :baaa:

Melange, that is a great picture!! (Plato's Stepchildren)

And no, I love the original series. It's my favorite. I might know as much about as Joe. But then, should that really come as a surprise?

Neil - who has every episode of Star Trek on VHS, Super VHS and DVD

The orginal was such a laugh that it cheesyness was part of its appeal.

TNG always took itself too damn seriously and tried to be austere.

So when they did come to do comedy, it looked extremely false (imo)

I watch Riker trying to be funny,and i cringe in pain at how pathetic it is.

But at Least Quark was funny in DS9.

Just explaining my reasons why i feel the original 60's series rules :(