Star Wars Prequel Music Resource

Henry B

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Really? I noticed the sound effects while listening to the DVD, and they thankfully don't conflict with that one 3-second clip. I didn't hear loud hissing, though...is it only present in the rip?

EDIT: Well, I'm just full of requests today, so here's another... :roll: would anyone like to rip the tracked music that plays during the war room scene? I listened to the corresponding rip from AOTC (the landing platform, just after the explosion) and there are so many sound effects that it's really unusable. Soooooo...anyone up for it? Sorry I've been so demanding.

EDIT: Man, I don't know when to shut up. How about the contrabass statement of Vader's theme right as the mask is sealed into place? Do sound effects interfere with that one?

EDIT: And...I know someone brought this up before, but I don't remember if the question was answered. Why are there a few 2-second gaps in the rip of "Padme's Visit"? Is it a faulty rip, or what? I listened closely to the DVD in those parts, and the music is there...Perhaps it's on a different channel?

EDIT...AGAIN: You'd think I'd get tired of this. What happened to the last 30 seconds or so of "Death of Mace," right after "first, I want you to go the Jedi Temple," etc.?

Perhaps I should just buy some ripping software so I don't have to hastle all of you...what program(s) do you guys use?

There's a lot of noise... I think an eruption and also hayden's voice echo... "Liar!" lol... it's not too bad but when they did it they edited them out.

Buggered me for a while too.

Now, in going to utapau... what 3 seconds do you mean? The one when the ship is leaving...?

Sorry to double post like this but this needs some attention.

There is a track under "Ripped DVD" material that is said to be tracked. The file "Execute Order 66."

I've been listening to the dvd rip... and also that file... they are similar... but in no means the same... If that is up there just so people don't have to use DVD rip material and instead can have a similar (because the similarities are quite striking) experience... then I guess thats ok... but they should be warned... it's not the same thing...

The portion I'm talking about is before the trumpets come in loudly and things get frantic... the underscore to Sideous talking to Commander Cody.

"Commander Cody. The time Has come. Execute Order 66."

"Yes, my Lord."

That part... it's different (the rest is right) lol

The orchestration is almost identical, there is probably a little bit of editing going on as well, but it is also different because it's like, a half step lower... not to mention the opening of the file, the upper horn isn't there in the mix the way it is used...

EDIT: OK...

Maybe I'm wrong. I tried lowering it to match the pitch and it corrected everything... but in order to do that I had to lower it alot... like... a 2nd below (Doesn't sound like a lot, but it sounds a lot when you hear it)... and had to loop the begining a little... and cut out some of the begining and middle... but it is the right file... just... obnoxiously lowered...

And one other question: Did we ever rip all the deleted scenes music? It's not all posted...

And I'd like to do it myself... I'm using stefancos tutorial. I can't find where on the disk it is. When it plays it says Chpater 6 title 2... but that doesn't work...

If you've done it yourself and know where it's located, could you pm me the location. Thanks. Any help here would be hot... :mrgreen:

I'll say it one last time...

If anyone wants anything else ripped by me and put on the FTP (as in a re-recording of the Padme track), then either PM me a torrent or something with an ISO (not divx avis) of the German release of ROTS, or someone who has it (like some members who have posted in this post before), extract the AC3 files for me. Otherwise, I'm not going to fix it. (when i get that, I'm also going to redo two tracks that need some extra seconds of music and anything with dialogue echoes)

Thanks,

~Sky

Dang, I forgot! ChrisCrusherComix sent me his German extracts. It's not complete (as in, it doesn't have every second of music including released stuff, and it doesn't have stuff that's been released through video games), but I've gone through a little bit. You can't hear Palpatine and Anakin in "The D eath of Dooku," only the sound effects. Unfortunately, there's a nice bit of sound effects, including the Tusken raiders. Upon listening to the end of "The Battle of Coruscant," it sounds like there's a choppy edit, in which you hear a split second of the start of the passage that echoes the blasts at the end of "The Battle of Yavin" before it cuts off. It makes me wonder what the story is on the end of it.

Now that I can rip DVD audio, I'm noticing a number of scenes in which it's possible to achieve higher sound quality than in the rips on the FTP. It sounds like whoever performed the rips forgot to put the left channels on the left and the right channels on the right--like the whole thing was just mixed in mono. "Yoda Farewell" is one scene that had disappointing audio quality on the uploaded rip, so I tried ripping it myself and putting the channels on the speakers they're supposed to be on. Voila--much better sound quality! Same goes for "Padme's Visit," to a limited degree. And some parts of "Drawing Swords" are higher quality than the grievously-compressed mp3 released on the starwars.com feature. No pun intended. I'd imagine there are other ripped cues that could have better sound quality, too...I'll check up on those soon.

Say, I've been wondering something for a while: What exactly is the motif supposed to be from "Talk of Podracing" and the beginning of "The Queen Confronts Nute and Rune"?

I wouldn't say that's used enough to really qualify as a motif...it's more like a melody that he decided to use in two cues for convenience. Especially becuase it doesn't seem to really represent anyone or anything. Great melody, though. Very beautiful. There's a little of Anakin's theme in it.

There are a couple portions that are in mono, because sometimes there are SFX that only exist on one channel (the right and not the left) and putting a couple seconds of a clip in mono removes those horrid noises.

None of the entire clips should be in mono though.

But, if you rip dvd audio...

There are MANY times that at specific places, the front channels have less SFX than the rear (and most people only rip the rear), so I switch between them to remove them sometimes.

When I re-rip them, I"m going to have the front left and right will be one MP3... and the rear left and right will be a seperate mp3. ANd I'll put both on the FTP.

~Sky

I'm pretty sure the entire "Yoda Farewell" rip that was uploaded is in mono. It certainly sounds worse than the rip I made myself, using mostly the rear channels in stereo. If I switch both of those audio files to mono and play them together, I get the same thing that was on the FTP. Anyway, just thought I'd bring it up.

I just finished my edit of "Padme's Visit" this morning, using both front and both rear channels that I ripped, along with the rip that's on the FTP and the clips from one of the games. I was able to edit out most of the major sound effects by switching channels a lot. Unfortunately, there's constant low rumbling from the Mustafar volcanos on all the channels. Too bad. At the beginning, right as that sustained string chord crescendos into the horn melody, the ripped version on the FTP drops out on the left channel. I'd assume this was to eliminate a sound effect. Anyway, I copied the right-channel information for that second or so and put it in the left channel as well, and it sounds a bit better.

I had to make the tough decision to keep "Padme's Visit" separate from "Heroes Collide," via a little Freeverb in Audacity. I like that edit--it's obvious that Maestro Williams intended the two cues to run together quite well--but if I put both cues together, I'd have an 11-minute track. I don't want that. Besides, then I could rationalize putting everything from "Padme's Visit" through the end of "Revenge of the Sith" (Battle of the Heroes) into one track--and that would be a 16-minute track.

Yeah, in the Padme's visit on the FTP... I accidently muted the front and rear tracks in the audio player when I saved the file. So, wherever a section was muted, it did that. Is the Yoda's Farewell the only one that accidently somehow got in full mono?

Does anyone know if alternate language versions of Episode 1 or 2 have no voice echoes? Some of the Ep2 tracks would be great to get. The only thing Ep1 is that there's a clean beginning to one track and it has terrible echoing in the rip.

~Sky

Wait...they don't have no voice echoes, or they don't have voice echoes? :) The English language is so stupid. Let's chop it up and sell the pieces on eBay!

Just an interesting bit of info for those (like me) who actually like some of the percussion overdubs in ROTS: you can get a very clean rip of the war drums just after the main titles. Just loop a couple of measures however long you want, and it works pretty well. You can then overlay this on the OST music and adjust the mixing however you like, rather than use the overdubbed version on the FTP.

Wait...they don't have no voice echoes, or they don't have voice echoes?  :)  The English language is so stupid.

Perhaps you should have written a grammatically correct statement from the offset, to save from confusion.

Tim

Wait...they don't have no voice echoes, or they don't have voice echoes? Wink The English language is so stupid. Let's chop it up and sell the pieces on eBay!

The foreign language versions all have dialogue echoes. Sorry, my statement was a little ambiguous. ;)

It's all good. Pity about the echoes, though.

Nightscape94, I wasn't the one responsible for the grammatically-iffy question in the first place. That was lordskylark. ;) His question was phrased in a way that invited confusion, but wasn't actually incorrect.

Another interesting discovery. If you edit the transition from the main title into "Boys Into Battle" the way it was done in the film (with the overdubbed war drums, etc.), you'll end up with a rough and abrupt transition into the initial Force theme statement. This rather uncomfortable transition was partially masked in the film by the sound of the Jedi starfighters passing into the frame, but only partially. If you want to edit this scene as it was in the movie but don't like that awkward transition, try using the last chord of "Padme's Visit" to help. Fade it in over the drums right before the Force theme enters. This allows the music to build out of the steady "boom...boom, boom....boom, boom..." and into the louder, more opaque music. Allow the end of the chord to slightly overlap beat 3 and use some sort of reverb to give the end of the chord some natural ring. This overall works quite well.

Yea... I hate that. I just find if you use the drums, don't use the little begining to "Boys go to Battle" as is in the film, just start with the So Do of the horn it comes out better rather than using that snare drum ditty because you get the horn echo over it. I know its not truly correct... but then again, who wants to end Grevious flees with the cut off before the Do.

It's all good.  Pity about the echoes, though.

Nightscape94, I wasn't the one responsible for the grammatically-iffy question in the first place.  That was lordskylark.  :wave:  His question was phrased in a way that invited confusion, but wasn't actually incorrect.

I hope it was clear that I was speaking with an air of humor. That's always a risk when a colorful emoticon isn't used. :)

So, I was indeed messing around so please don't take offense :thumbup:

Tim

Another interesting discovery.  If you edit the transition from the main title into "Boys Into Battle" the way it was done in the film (with the overdubbed war drums, etc.), you'll end up with a rough and abrupt transition into the initial Force theme statement.

somehow this works perfectly well on my edit.I've used the Main title with clean ending from the RotS OST Bonus DVD,2 measures of isolated war drums from the rear DVD channels looped a few times,and a version of the Fanfare that appears on the OST after the Main Title that has the war drums in it(I don't remember the source exactly).So my final edit has the war drums and the OST music before the Force theme,and all have the war drums in it.

K.M.

In battlefront there is two cues whom you can make a war drum opening sequence, with the unused part. No isolated war drums in the unused beggiging since the music is supposed to be a militaristic ending of the actual SW main title....

King Mark, the difference with me is that I'm not using the fanfare and so on that can be heard on the OST before the Force theme enters. I'm just cutting straight from the war drums to the Force theme (with war drums), and that transition is musically awkward. It sounds that way to me in the film, too, although the sound of the starfighters actually helps a bit. As a musician, I expect to hear some sort of crescendo into the Force theme. To have the war drums booming by themselves and then suddenly be accompanied by a full orchestra, without any sort of transition, sounds strange to me. It feels more natural to include that last chord of "Padme's Visit" because it crescendos into and resolves to the first D minor chord of the Force theme.

Your version (which does contain the unusued OST material, right?) would probably sound just fine because there isn't that awkward leap.

Goodmusician, I'm not quite sure I understand what you said...could you clarify, please?

No offense taken, nightscape. I just wanted to make it clear that I wasn't the one who initially asked the question. :D

Yea... I didn't quite understand what you all were saying.

In the film, it goes from Star Wars, to war drums, then to what you hear in track 1 from OST (but with war drums brought out).

The way the track 1 enters is through this little drum core ditty on the and of 2 (assuming its in 3) so it would be, 1, 2 triplet, triplet + Do23, Re23,

It's hard to explain I suppose, but the entrance of the orchestra starts with the snare drum beating out triplets and then So Do of the Force Theme.

It's an abrupt entrance... but I don't use anything (padme's visit or fanfare).

That's what I was saying. Any clearer? lol

Your version (which does contain the unusued OST material, right?) would probably sound just fine because there isn't that awkward leap.

Then why don't you do it that way too. Your trying to match the film edit,even if it doesn't sound any good,whether I'm trying to get as much music Williams composed into the cue.My solution seens like the most complete way to do it.Where would you put the unused music?

K.M.Who doesn't waste Williams music

Well, I'm not so much trying to match the film edit as I am trying to create the most enjoyable listening experience for myself possible. For me, that sometimes means re-creating the film edit, but often times it means preserving the original cue as much as possible with my limited resources. In the case of this cue, I liked the idea of the film edit better than what John Williams originally wrote for those few seconds before the Force theme. Unfortunately, the film edit wasn't very well executed so I decided to make that transition more...musical, I suppose. The OST version of the cue is just as easily accessible in iTunes or on my iPod, so I can listen to whichever version I feel like.

Sometimes, my method also means including music that was omitted from the film edit. For instance, my edit cuts right to the OST beginning of "Rolling with Grievous" from the final crescendo of "Palpatine's Seduction." In the film, that crescendo has a clean ending, and no music plays for a while. But I found it more enjoyable the way I'm sure Maestro Williams intended the transition, so that's how I edited it.

When I said that your version probably sounded fine, I meant that the edit itself probably sounded better than the edit itself in my version (without the Padme's Visit addition). As far as the structure itself goes, I prefer the film version. I know, because I tried doing it your way before I did it this way. But if you prefer your version, there's nothing wrong with that--it's all about what creates the most musical enjoyment for you personally.

Your method is more complete, yes. But completeness isn't the only factor that influences my listening experience. Since I can pull up the OST version at any time and hear the pre-Force-theme material, I have no qualms about omitting a few seconds of music from my own edit in order to improve the flow.

It's all a matter of personal preference. :D

Datameister, who doesn't waste music either

P.S. Goodmusician, I think I understand what you're saying now. Sounds to me like you've done the Main Title/Boys Into Battle transition the same way I have, except without the Padme's Visit chord. Try it--I think you'll like it better. It's just a small change that makes a big difference.

That's true; the initial fanfare is heard (tracked?) in the Obi-Wan/Grievous duel, which I've edited much like the film version. That doesn't take care of the low brass motif before the Force theme, though. That's absent from my edit, sadly.

Actually, it's not tracked. The performance clearly differs from the one on the album - perhaps with modified orchestration - and the segue into new music is too good to be fake.

I just have different Versions for mine.

I have the film version, then I have the real version which Williams intended (with the different ending and the fanfare begining).

Usually I edit as Film Edit, and then tack the extra tracks on the end in a shortened film order.

I thought you guys were going to be getting the German ROTS DVD soon and putting all the rips onto the FTP like last week? What happened? They aren't up there yet.

Actually, it's not tracked. The performance clearly differs from the one on the album - perhaps with modified orchestration - and the segue into new music is too good to be fake.

Really? The beggining sounds the same to me, but you are right about the end it HAs to be part of it.

Im not complaining then :sleepy:

That ending of the fanfare was what made me question the tracked-ness. Of course, it's possible that it was recorded once, but with an alternate ending also recorded so the transitions would sound right.

I think that fanfare works MUCH better in the scene it was used than it would in the beginning, after the crawl. Call me crazy, but I just think it jars way too much with the opening shot.

I think the following unreleased cues should now be somehow made available fully edited to the rest of the JWfans.I'm realising only a few of us have actually edited this and lots haven't heard any cues outside the OST:

Main Titles and The Battle Over Coruscant

Count Dooku's Entrance

Another Happy Landing

Goodbye Old Friend

Going to Utapau

Palpatine's Seduction

Dialogue With Mace

I Am the Senate

Bail's Escape,Swimming and News of the Attack

Yoda Falls and The Boys Continue

Omitting the more complicated edits and small inserts,this package would blend in well with the existing OST without repeating segments.

K.M.

So, were 3M4 and 4M2 ever written? They're not on the list.

3M4 would take place during the Battle of Kashyyyk. I know most of the music is tracked from TPM and AOTC, but there is that section during the holoconference that isn't tracked, right? I suppose that must be 3M4.

4M2 would have taken place during the scene in the Jedi war room, I suppose. All the music used in the film for this scene was tracked from AOTC--does this mean that Mr. Williams really did write a new cue for that scene?

Any thoughts? Or is it common practice to leave out numbers in the cue-naming process?

I wonder why Lucas didn't want new music there. There was great potential to make a more war-like, battle variation of the droid theme and introduce a new theme for the wookies (or is there one already???). It's depressing. I want to maximize every ounce of Williams talent in these films, and it just seems like an odd decision to make, even for Lucas, who's notorious for butchering things. Did they not have the scoring time? It doesn't make sense, Williams was working on this project for like 5 months.

Tim

Oh, btw, there is a file in Episode I under "BattleFront II" called return_dotf.mp3, it's actually from AOTC. It's the full version. You can tell by the low piano bangs and the synth voice in the begining. It has some from Episode I at the end, but the first 31 seconds is from AOTC

I wonder why Lucas didn't want new music there.  

Tim

Most likely because those were CG scenes and they probably weren't finished by the time the spotting session for the score took place so hence the pre-planned tracked music. Just like with AOTC, the scenes that have the tracked TPM music most of those are CG and they probably weren't done when again the spotting session for the score came around. All though we do have the original On The Conveyor Belt cue but I think Williams saw a version of that before the R2 and Threepio stuff was inserted in at the last minute.

You guys might as well just accept the fact that it's there, and not gonna be re-scored. Lucas aint Peter Jackson and he wouldn't call in Williams to come back and re-score those scenes for future DVD releases. I'm sure Williams wouldn't want to waste the time with that either.

I know most of the music is tracked from TPM and AOTC, but there is that section during the holoconference that isn't tracked, right?  I suppose that must be 3M4.

Actually, "3M4" is entirely tracked. That segment you are talking about is taken directly from the full version of The Senate (from Episode I). The only difficulty in realizing that is it is hasn't been officially released in full. Luckily, we can hear the whole cue on the FTP. The same thing happens in the War Room scene, where the tracked music (Ambush on Coruscant) isn't officially released.

(On a side note, that TPM segment is tracked again in the "Execute Order 66" scene, right before the segment from "The Gungans Retreat and The Queen Surrenders")

Cerrabore's original post + 1999 replies makes... 2000 posts in this thread! Hooray! :P:joy::ola::mrgreen:

;)