Star Wars Prequel Music Resource

Henry B

Wow, I havn't gotten to Episode II yet...I mean, I did, but I had to go back and work on Episode I... that is great news that there is more available. I'll have to check that out.

Thanks for the heads up!

And a new game comming out...well... one can only hope there is even more episode II material...

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's been a long time since I worked on these things. Is that Episode I guide on page 1 up to date? I see them talking in the other threat, GoodMusician's, but I'm sort of lost as to what's been found, and what is where.

Well, When I did my edits, I went by whats in the first post, yes...But...I also elaborated.

Certain things are wrong like there is a clean ending to "Droid Invasion" and the extension part shouldn't be connected to it. It should be two tracks.

Another is Arrival at Coruscant has a clean ending on the album... but not in the UE. So you should incorporate that.

The main difference is that the editing instructions on Page one don't incorporate clean endings/openings.

Also, Lord Skylark has graciously sent me every video game rip again--the raw files.

So some of the stuff he sent is, obviosly, not on the FTP. That's where I found a lot of the un-noticed stuff.

Give it time and Lord Skylark, Cerrabore and I will re-do the editing instructions and upload the new files and it'll be easier that way.

Certain things are wrong like there is a clean ending to "Droid Invasion" and the extension part shouldn't be connected to it. It should be two tracks.

How have you concluded this? There are many files from videogames that present "Droid Invasion" seguing directly into action music (in other words, they are one cue).

Another is Arrival at Coruscant has a clean ending on the album... but not in the UE. So you should incorporate that.

The main difference is that the editing instructions on Page one don't incorporate clean endings/openings.

Correct. I understand that there is an alternate editing list being constructed that isolates every cue, but mine is built to be a "true" Ultimate Edition, e.g. a version that corresponds to the intended mixing of cues. Several transitions stand out here: "Anakin's Test" to "He Is the Chosen One" (I'm not sure if my titles are correct, but you know what I mean), for example. These two were clearly written to flow right into each other. You can hear the string section dropping out at the end of "Anakin's Test" because the string section beginning "He Is the Chosen One" is to be mixed in at the end of it. There are plenty of others like this. Again, I think it's a matter of preference, although I have to say that using the "UE" method, you will wind up with far fewer drops in sound quality, as many clean beginnings/endings needed for an isolated "as recorded" version have only found their way into poor-sounding games.

As far as the clean ending to Droid Invasion, I concluded it because it exists. Like most things in this... If it exists than it must have been.

Also realize that a lot of the edits on the games are taken from the album edits and so hearing the same edit over and over is misleading--I think... But again, I was setting out to include everything and have clean entrances and endings so it would be used in my edit... but yours is meant to preserve the flow of such things so it makes more sense to have it edited your way with you.

As far as the drops in quality I'm gonna have to disagree with you. I havn't had any trouble... then again I'm working with the raw files... but at the same time, the same cues are used several times in several games... just have to find the best sounding one.

But Cerrabore is right. If you like to have a Film Edit, a true "Ultimate Edition," his edits are the things to go by. They present almost all the music and preserves the flow from track to track--don't forget, John Williams intends to have tracks flow like this so it is truly the INTENDED way to listen to his score.

Mine just simply cuts the tracks apart, and preserves the recording style of them.

I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned this yet but LucasArts just made available Chapter 2: The Talus Incident for Star Wars Galaxies. I myself don't have Galaxies anymore but there might be some unreleased music in there.

I don't want to go off-topic, but I don't want to open a new thread for this:

does anyone have a MIDI file or sheet music for Anakin's confrontation with Obi- Wan on the Mustafar platform? You know, the choirless version of Anakin's Betrayal.

As far as the clean ending to Droid Invasion, I concluded it because it exists. Like most things in this... If it exists than it must have been.

Also realize that a lot of the edits on the games are taken from the album edits and so hearing the same edit over and over is misleading--I think... But again, I was setting out to include everything and have clean entrances and endings so it would be used in my edit... but yours is meant to preserve the flow of such things so it makes more sense to have it edited your way with you.

Nope. Here are some files for reference:

TPMG sqfight5

TPMG scene7

Starfighter n21i_m

This is not the same edit found on the soundtrack album. That one omits three of four seconds. Keep in mind, also, that these are early TPM games which do not feature any album edits. They had the raw files to work with. Because of these files, I've concluded that the "fight5" action music is part of the cue "Droid Invasion." Obviously, this arrangement is not to game designers' liking, and so there have been several fake endings created. I've heard them, and they're synthesized.

Cerrabore is correct.

As an aside, the original soundtrack album is closest to the original recording of this cue in terms of continuity (although it is missing two sections). The UE (and the film) tracks the last chord from elsewhere.

I don't understand this. The UE has a clean ending for this cue as recorded. The original album ends the cue prematurely with a chord tracked from a later cue.

A Deleted Scene on the Attack of the Clones DVD called ‘Extended Arrival on Naboo’ contains music not used in the theatrical film. The opening of the scene features music that I suspect should go between the ‘Meeting Lama Su’ scene and the ‘Stolen Kiss’ (Chapters 18 and 19 on the DVD). In the movie when Anakin and Padmé arrive at the Island Retreat, music is tracked from the ‘Arrival at Kamino’ cue. And the unreleased section is followed by music from the scene where Anakin and Padme first kiss

http://jwfan.com/modules.php?op=modload&na...article&sid=192

Note to self: Remember to edit one's existing posts. Do not respond to one's own posts. Naughty Jim!

Ok...

On Droid invasion, the ALbum has a clean ending... to what would be the first segment. I really don't think that it's synthesized.

As far as the Arrival at Coruscant, I thought maybe it had been tracked, but where from? I couldn't find where it was from so I included it as a clean ending and split the track. If you can find where it's from then maybe I'll reconsider.

Cool, cool. I'll have the relevant clip uploaded soon, and will update the editing list (note: only for chronological order; the whole finale section is still a mess).

Which reminds me, isn't the Dex Dinner cue composed by Joseph Williams?

Perhaps that's how they got it or something.

See

http://www.gsamusic.com/composers.html

andhttp://jwfan.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=4940

Yeah and that is source music from films...so the film composer doesn't always do the source music...

OK, the track list is updated, and Dex's Diner (FSM Podcast).mp3 is available to download from the FTP.

I've removed the "Availability of Unreleased Music..." lists entirely. They were outdated and probably just confused newcomers. I've also added a "Useful Links" section. Let me know if there's something relevant to the Star Wars film scores that could be added (for example, that incredibly thorough PDF about the scoring of the Original Trilogy, wherever that is...).

I've removed the "Availability of Unreleased Music..." lists entirely. They were outdated and probably just confused newcomers.

Hey, I was wondering, you don't seem to include the Bounty Hunter files on your AOTC list?

Would you have any guidance to that unreleased material. Mostly covered in SFX, but aren't there some usable parts?

There's for instance a bit more unreleased music in the Zam the Assassin scenes.

By the way, importantly, are these files (since the crash of the ftp) still 5 semitones off?

AotC is kind of a judgment call all the way through, what with the Bounty Hunter files being of poor quality, off in pitch, and variably containing sound effects (it's hard to tell whether that *tap* is a footstep or a crackle in the recording).

There has not been any updating of the Bounty Hunter files. Actually, it's probably possible to rip that game in higher quality, and maybe lordskylark actually has, as GoodMusician alluded (again, I still don't really know what's going on, so I guess you'll have to ask them).

5. ZAM THE ASSASSIN AND THE CHASE THROUGH CORUSCANT  

OST t3 0:00-10:20  

BF2 chase_coruscant_2 1:42-1:46  

BF2 chase_coruscant_2 0:03-0:26  

OST t3 10:20-end  

This is really nitpicky. But I think there's a slightly unreleased bit around 0:29 of BF2 chase_coruscant_2 too. Like two seconds. Insert at around 9:03 in OST t3?

Edit: by the way, what's with the Zam track? (BF2) Are those percussions overdubs?

(Edit 2, seems I've got a missing post. Gone fishing :) That'll teach me to post two subsequent ones ;) )

Anyway, it would be great if somebody rereripped those Bounty Hunter tracks? Anybody up to it? Any updates Lordskylark?

Thanks very much!

16. RETURN TO TATOOINE  

OST t10 all  

Oh sorry for troubling you guys again, I had an additional question - wasn't there additional Duel of the Fates material in the games? Is there a reason why it isn't in the track list?

Thanks!

The "Duel Of The Fates" material that we heard in that cue (Return To Tatoione) in the film the last part of it was tracked from TPM. The cue is how it originally was written on the OST for AOTC.

I doubt it. There haven't been any new games lately.

Ya LEGO Star Wars II is coming out but most likely it will just be recyled OT music since it's set in the OT times. I think that's the only game coming out this year. The other supposed new games aren't coming out next year so we're gonna have to wait.

Well, I finally figured out how to rip the music from the Revenge of the Sith game. There's no Ep3 music in it (as previously stated). I'm not 100% sure if there's any Ep1 or 2 unreleased stuff... There is stuff from the Clone Wars cartoon. I ripped the soundtrack from the cartoon a long time ago, but my harddrive crashed and I lost it. So, if I ever re-rip the Clone Wars cartoon music, I'll incorperate this stuff too.

I re-ripped Bounty Hunter. Good Muscian is going to go through it. The music is mangled up pretty bad in termed of editing for the game and with SFX.

Otherwise, I think most of the other stuff was on the FTP, or I can reupload whatever files you need.

I'm trying to figure out something for Battlefront 1 & 2. Hopefully we'll have something soon.

The only thing we can really hope for, it looks like, is possibly another expansion to Galaxies or a patch with some more music at some point.

(or someone to smuggled out the recording sessions that lucasarts used - or to join the company - or to find someone that worked for the company, etc. It's obvious even Battlefront 2 had the recording sessions for all of the prequel movies)

~Andy

someone to smuggled out the recording sessions that lucasarts used - or to join the company - or to find someone that worked for the company, etc. It's obvious even Battlefront 2 had the recording sessions for all of the prequel movies

Yeah come on JWFan, there has to be some contact in Lucasarts... Any mail addresses of people that can be persuaded? :(

The point is all companies who own a complete score for a film aren't not suppose to give any complete score away to the public...and we know for the fact that everyone wants a complete score recording rather then a preview of score such as soundtracks...

Well, I finally figured out how to rip the music from the Revenge of the Sith game. There's no Ep3 music in it (as previously stated). I'm not 100% sure if there's any Ep1 or 2 unreleased stuff...  There is stuff from the Clone Wars cartoon. I ripped the soundtrack from the cartoon a long time ago, but my harddrive crashed and I lost it.  So, if I ever re-rip the Clone Wars cartoon music, I'll incorperate this stuff too.

Could you upload all of the RotS game material to the FTP? I know that there's unreleased TPM material in it, and depending on the sound quality, it may be usable.

in its currentstate, It's sped up about 5 and a half times.... which changes both the pitch and speed... it's REALLY odd to listen to.

I've been able to slow them down... but there is a bit of hiss to them. They are nicely edited loops though.

And the new music is nice. I'll fix them up.

Looks like we won't be hearing much from LEGO Star Wars II. I've downloaded the demo, and most of the music featured is from the original trilogy. There were a couple TPM cues, but they were clearly taken from the OST. I expect the full game to follow this pattern.

Next videogame coming up is Empire at War: Forces of Corruption. The original game only had CD music and a short original score, but you never know.

Looks like we won't be hearing much from LEGO Star Wars II. I've downloaded the demo, and most of the music featured is from the original trilogy.

Thank god, I dont want the mess of EP III, with OT music...

Unfortunate for the complete scores though :/

I saw this bit of info over at T Bone about the soundtracks being released next year in a boxed set. I think it is still a rumor though.

http://www.starwarz.com/tbone/index.php?ca...2_articleid=846

I wouldn't be surprised if it turned out to be the prequel OSTs in a 3-disc package, nothing new.

And T-Bone admits that he bought the '04 Sony re-release of the SEs for the screensavers! I guess there really was one out there.

All track lists updated to reflect a better recording of the 20th Century Fox Fanfare.

I haven't forgotten about this... I will eventually post instructions for the orchestral version of "Duel of the Fates," and maybe figure out something for AotC's finale as well.

I saw this bit of info over at T Bone about the soundtracks being released next year in a boxed set. I think it is still a rumor though.

http://www.starwarz.com/tbone/index.php?ca...2_articleid=846

I wouldn't be surprised if it turned out to be the prequel OSTs in a 3-disc package, nothing new.

Indeed.

And what annoys me is that on the one hand LucasFilm is bringing out a limited set that will be gone by the end of the year, urging us to buy it quickly, while you just know there have to be big things coming for 2007, what with the 30th anniversary at all. Never mind about informed purchases, no, just let us bring our wallets and empty them into George Lucas's lap. ;)

And T-Bone admits that he bought the '04 Sony re-release of the SEs for the screensavers! I guess there really was one out there.

That surprised me as well. What happened to you, T-Bone!? 8O

I don't want to sound blasphemic or something, but why are you all struggling so hard to get every second of the prequel scores when at least 50 % of them is just background filler music anyway?

I can understand why people want the clean score for the most important scenes, but why in the world would someone bother with the rest?

I don't want to sound blasphemic or something, but why are you all struggling so hard to get every second of the prequel scores when at least 50 % of them is just background filler music anyway?

Well, for starters, most of the filler music was released on the OST. THe stuff we're trying to get is (generally) the interesting, good music.

Are you serious?

For TPM we have the UE (as bad as it is, but it's the score we hear in the film), AotC is mostly ambient, atmosperic music, and for ROTS we have the interesting bits on CD. And if not, like the final duel, we've got the video games.

IMHO the only thing that's missing right now is the threesome on Mustafar shortly before the action begins.

I'm just not really turned on by at least 50 % of the prequel scores.

To each his own, i suppose.

It OK that wanting to have al the alternates and first run versions is a little obsesive, but heck we are JW fans 8O

Mmmm more tinkered 30th anniversary SW versions (and i hope digital Yoda on TPM too...) and a INdy box set in 2008 with possibly the new movie.

Thank god i knew this coming and didnt bought any of those DVDs ;)

Oooh, I'll call blasphemy! 'Cause seriously, I think the unreleased portions of AotC and RotS are often brilliant.

Or maybe I still just want a clean copy of "The Dark Side Takes Root." Whatever.

I don't find AotC's unreleased music very compelling. It's as if Williams set out, true to the film's title, to compose an old-fashioned, swashbuckling cartoon score, but within the realm of a dark, ambiguous story. Listening to all the unreleased fanfares, action music, etc., the brass is ridiculous. It's good, but... wrong time, wrong place. I think the album showcases the part of the score that fit the film.

As for RotS, well, there are a lot of major cues unreleased. Definitely highlights, not filler music.