Question for Ricard...and a new topic forming...

King Mark

Since you founded this site by the simple name of Episode1-The Music....i wanna know.

Which is your favourite score musically:TPM or AOTC,and by how much?

Which is your favourite movie,TPM or AOTC.?

Which score is more hacked up from the probable original recordings:TPM or AOTC?

:)

K.M.Who dare hopes for an answer.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I give TPM score 5/10, while AOTC score gets 3/10

Which is your favourite movie,TPM or AOTC.?

They're both equally horrible movies, in my opinion. TPM is bad from beginning to end, and AOTC looks like could be a bit less pathetic than the first film, but surprisingly the last 45 minutes are even worse than most TPM (was that possible?) so it immediately becomes as bad as its predecessor.

And to those who praise AOTC: I'm not tired of reading your opinions (I accept them). However, I AM tired of seeing that some of you can't accept the opinion of those who dislike the movie (what you call 'AOTC bashing'). If such intolerance keeps going I will probably stop posting my opinions on this board.

Which score is more hacked up from the probable original recordings:TPM or AOTC?

AOTC. I think John Takis' analysis is pretty explanatory.

8O  

I do not understand how you can rate the scores that low :)

Well, if he considers recent Williams not nearly as good as 1977-1984 Williams, then it's not so surprising.

:devil:  

I do not understand how you can rate the scores that low :)

Well, if he considers recent Williams not nearly as good as 1977-1984 Williams, then it's not so surprising.

That is exactly why it is surprising :)

I've loved every one so far. :nod:

Ricard? I can understand the movies... some just don't like 'em... but the scores so low? Zounds! :wow:

What do you think of some other recent scores (not the films) like Minority Report, Harry Potter, A.I., ect... ?

-Chris, Thinking we should all resume the name-all-the-williams-scores-and-rate-them posts that we used to do on the EZBoard.... :)

Thanks for answering,Ric...I was curious BECAUSE you founded this site because of Ep1 :) .I in fact keep changion opinion on both movies...depends on my mood,big or small screen....ect.As for AOTC,then when I see it i'm happy,but when I discuss it with friends,then I realise i'ts pretty awful and dumb. :oops:

And I liked TPM in the cinema(around 8 viewings),but watched ONCE on video....

I rate definitevely the score to AOTC a 3or 2/10 and the score to TPM a definie 8+,but that's me... :nod:

K.M.Who likes to get feedback from the webmaster once in a while.

What do you think of some other recent scores (not the films) like Minority Report, Harry Potter, A.I., ect... ?

2000 - The Patriot (4)

2001 - A.I. (5)

2001 - Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (7)

2002 - Attack of the Clones (3)

2002 - Minority Report (4)

OK. Here are mine. I notice I rate them all a tad higher than most of you. :)

1999 - The Phantom Menace (9.7)

1999 - Angela's Ashes (1.2)

2000 - The Patriot (6.9, Works better in film than on album)

2001 - A.I. (9.7, Works great both ways, all versions)

2001 - Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (7.0, For Hedwig's Theme and Harry's Wonderous World alone.)

2002 - Attack of the Clones (9.7, Film was hacked to ribbons but loved the content that we did get)

2002 - Minority Report (7.9, Liked it in both film and album)

2000 - The Patriot (6)

2001 - A.I. (9.5)

2001 - Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (8)

2002 - Attack of the Clones (8)

2002 - Minority Report (7)

Ok,here's mine:

TPM:9

Angela's Ashes:3(for the main suite and Back to America)

The Patriot:6.5(it's average but catchy in lots of parts)

American Journey:8(But listening to it all at once is a bit overbearing)

A.I.:9

Potter 7.5

AOTC:3

Minority report:1(one point for the last track)

K.M.

Arbitrary ratings without thoughtful justifications? I can do that!

Mr. Williams's Deteriorating Powers, 1998 - 2002

Saving Private Ryan: 9

Stepmom: 9

Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace: 8 (would've been 10 had Williams's score consistently fit the film...and I'm referring to even the parts that weren't hacked up)

Angela's Ashes: 8

The Patriot: 7.5

A.I. Artificial Intelligence: 7

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone: 6

Star Wars: Episode II - Attack of the Clones: 4.5

Minority Report: 4.5

TPM: 9

Angela's Ashes: 5

The Patriot: 7

A.I. Artificial Intelligence: 2

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone: 9

Star Wars: Episode II - Attack of the Clones: 7

Minority Report:- (not yet seen) but from the CD alone <5

I give TPM score 5/10, while AOTC score gets 3/10

I don't get it.

Why make a webpage about an expanded score you don't even like?

-ROSS, beginning to grasp the huge altruisitic Williams fan Ricard is

I don't get it.

Why make a webpage about an expanded score you don't even like?

Three years and a half ago I was looking for a website where I could find the latest news on the most anticipated score in film music history. I wanted everything, all the news, all the articles, all the interviews, all the links. Since that place didn't exist, I decided to create it myself. Hence on February 5, 1999 a site called 'Star Wars Episode I - The Music' was born.

3 months later the first CD of TPM was released. I wasn't very pleased with it, but I wanted to like it. I needed to like it -the reason was pretty obvious: that music had become an essential part of my life, because of the website. On june/july '99 I started receiving lots of unreleased cues in MP3 format, extracted from the TPM computer games, most of them encoded by Jim Ware. I then began offering those cues for download from my site along with the rest of news, articles and every other detail related to the new score.

An exhaustive analysis of the score began on the site, with the help of Jim Ware, Elvisjones and my bootleg VHS copy of the film. A few weeks later I purchased the games myself, and during the first week of August'99 I posted the first tracks of my own expanded edition. By the end of that month the page I was talking about in this post: http://www.jwfan.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=732 was completed.

All those expanded versions (mine, elvisjones' -whose first version unwillingly became the first TPM bootleg-, Jim Ware's etc) became more or less useless when the TPM UE was released on November 2000. But since that release was such a disgrace, many of us had to create (again) our own 'ultimate editions' of the score, mainly because the film version of The Battle of Naboo was a total mess, so we tried to make a proper version using the unreleased music from the games, among other sources.

That way we would be able to listen to the music as it was initially recorded by Williams. That was (almost) the right way to listen to the score. A score that I wanted to love, but which unfortunately, after as many listens as you could possible imagine, I find only 'acceptable'. Not even half as good as the OT scores.

Now you know a little bit more :mrgreen:

Here are my ratings:

The Phantom Menace - 9

Angela's Ashes - 9

The Patriot - 7

A.I - 9

Harry Potter - 9

Attack of the Clones - 8 (because of the edits)

Minority Report - 7

Thanks for finally giving us your opinion about TPM, even though it took 2 years. :mrgreen:

And thanks for creating the site, without it i would be hanging around the FSM MB all day....imagine the horror of that possibility. :wow:

Stefancos- who thinks the TPM score contains several moments of sheer brilliance, surrounded by way to much non-descript, non to interesting music.

I still remember how blown away I was when listening to The Flag Parade for the first time on my stereo, volume turned up.

:wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow:

-Chris, who greatly loves those parts in the Star Wars scores (and elsewhere too) when the trumpet trio blows out phrases with that incredible force