Have you watched the King Kong trailer

JoeinAR

I thought there would be some discussion about it this morning,

Peter Jackson earned a bit more respect from me, I hope the movie lives up to the trailer because it was incredible.

What did you guys think?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The trailer showed too much, IMO.

I think this'll be a fun adventure/fantasy film, and I have faith Jackson will deliver a good movie. But there's no way in hell he's going to top the original, especially not after seeing the trailer. The footage doesn't have the same special feel the original does, IMO. We'll see this December, I guess.

- Marc, who's not sure yet, but probably will see it theatrically.

It looks good to me, but I can't understand that after all the secretism that surrounded this movie then we have such a long teaser showing so many things. What will they show in the trailer, the ESB scene (empire state building, stop thinking about SW at once :spiny: )

The dinosaurs remind me of JP too much, but probably audiences would not accept other TRex than my beloved JP one. But also Raptors! At least they chose Diplodocus instead of Brachiosaurus, that would have been too much.

Is it too evident that I was ten when Jp was released? :)

I haven't been following it, but I thought they never showed final shots. In other anticipated movies now and then they leake some pics about how this and that will look.

But again I haven't been following this movie, maybe I had a misconceived idea.

I haven't seen the trailer yet (just loading it up now), but I've grown very, very tired of all the "Teaser 1", "Teaser 2", "Teaser 3" crap.....will be nice to see a trailer that does exactly what it says on the tin.....

Eh, not bad, not great. The scene on the beach was good. Kong does look well done so far, the dinos less so. I don't know if I'll see this theatrically or not, it's far from my most anticipated movie of the Christmas season. I have high hopes for Narnia.

Jack Black? :?

Very nice indeed.

Too much? You don't see Kong until the final part of the teaser, and you only briefly see him in New York.

I'm sure this is going to be very good, both movie and score.

Marian - looking forward to lots of movies this year.

:) The Cell (Howard Shore)

Too much? You don't see Kong until the final part of the teaser, and you only briefly see him in New York.

I don't think we needed to see more than a few glimpses of him. No Kong in New York or Kong vs. T-Rex. But that's just me.

how does one sound in a period film, my grandparents, and great grandparents sounded pretty much the same as we do now, except some of them spoke English as a 2nd language.

Why do so many people seem sour about this new King Kong? The effects need a little work, yes, but they have so much time to work on it. I mean it comes out in December, not 2 months from now. They already finished filming, so for the next 5 months they will be focusing on editing, sound, and special effects. That's more time than most special effects movies seem to get these days, the way they usually churn them out. He has said that the actual design of Kong himself is still being tampered with, still making changes. And the dinosaurs are not meant to be accurate by any means (most obviously in size, they are much bigger than dinosaurs really were). And hell, this is Peter Jackson of all people making this movie. A remake to a movie he has said he liked more than the Lord of the Rings books. So with that much love for an idea... and the amount of greatness the Lord of the Rings films showed us all (well, to most of us anyway, some may argue)... imagine what the end product of this film is going to be like?

I say bring it on. :)

True, they are inferior, but that doesn't mean they can't be good films. There have been good remakes, although never being as good as the original, still justly served well. Of course there are a lot of bad remakes too, and I do agree that hollywood should not try and do all these remakes (remaking Willy Wonka? oh come on, there's no good reason...), but some movies are 'reimagining' films. Remember "My Fair Lady"? That was a musical remake of the film/play "Pygmailian" (sp?). But most people have no clue about that since "My Fair Lady" was done so well and was so well recieved.

A good reason to remake King Kong is because so many people have never even seen the original. It's true, about half the people I ask when I tell them there is a new King Kong, they say "Oh I never even saw the original", or they say "Oh I only saw the other remake," the ill-fated 70's remake. That's one reason why I keep hearing from people "Were there dinosaurs in the original Kong? I don't remember any." after they had seen the new trailer. If they had seen the original Kong, how could they NOT remember the dinosaurs? They were an important part. However, they were not in the 70's remake. Some people may be confused if they even saw the original or the remake.

So I think remaking King Kong is a good thing. :)

Jack Black?  :?

I thought the same for Jim Carrey in A Series of Unfortunate Events. But I was very pleasantly surprised. Then again, I liked the movie much more than the books... And I kno next to nothing about the character Black will play in Kong. Is he enigmatic? Funny or exaggerated at all?

Meh...it's mildly intriguing; I didn't at all expect dinosaurs. Not that that's a good thing. And the effects look pretty poor at this point. I'm not really holding out for anything special, film or score-wise.

Ray Barnsbury

Why do so many people seem sour about this new King Kong?

Because I love cinema and this is just an amusement park ride.

----------------

Alex Cremers

Saw it tonight, before WOTW. Definitely not what I was expecting. More than a few shots reminded me of LotR (such as the natives on the island and other shots looking like orcs forging the new Isengard). But that's just me.

As for Kong himself, he looks very good. Much better looking than the dinos - though I'm almost positive they will improve between now and then. Plus the movie is using some of the same technology as with Gollum for the gorilla, so it would look more polished.

King Kong, regardless of how great the film and story are, is history.  Remakes are automatically inferior.

Why? Some of the great classics of movie history are remakes. I'm not saying the new Kong will be superior, but I don't quite get the general opinion that a remake must by definition be inferiour. Of course, most are, but that's beside the point.

Marian - :)

Put Jack Black's voice in any '30s film, and it would sound jarringly anachronistic. For a more successful execution of period accents, see Cinderella Man. I think that period movies should try as best they can to document the accents and mannerisms of the era. It's as important as costume design, in my opinion.

The preview did remind me of the island natives looking like orcs from Isengard. Im not too worried about what it is right now as far as the film, but it looks entertaining....

King Kong, regardless of how great the film and story are, is history.  Remakes are automatically inferior.

Why? Some of the great classics of movie history are remakes. I'm not saying the new Kong will be superior, but I don't quite get the general opinion that a remake must by definition be inferiour. Of course, most are, but that's beside the point.

Marian - :)

YOu can be sure on one thing, this remake has better SFX ;)

In 5 months, 90% of the JWFan board will go: Wow, the ape and the dino look perfect. What a brilliant movie! Peter Jackson really knows how to bring realism to the public. The fight scene between Kong and Tyra was so mind-boggling! They should give Jackson the Nobel prize, or something. Oscars don't do the greatness of this film any justice!

I think the shots in the trailer are finished shots. They have the color filters and so. The ape is great, dont expect changes there at least. And the dinosaurs have saliva and details like that.

in the teaser of EPIII, for example almost all were finished shots, except one with Anakin and other with Ki Adi Mundi ones that had different backgrounds.

You will rarely see unfinished shots in trailers, especially creature shots.

Although some elements may still be missing. The AotC trailers featured a shot where the lightsabers hadn't been colorized yet.

It's a pity Williams will not do this one. It could well be our JP4, it has a lot of elemnts of the first two JP in it (as far as can be judged from the trailer). Also reminds me much of some very good The Lost World movies after Conan Doyle's book, e.g. this one http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0302739/

Although some elements may still be missing. The AotC trailers featured a shot where the lightsabers hadn't been colorized yet.

But there more that were.

And this is not digital filming i think, so they cannot tinker it till last minute.

Jack Black is an interesting choice. Peter Jackson casting against type, I like that. Naomi Watts looks blazingly sexy as usual. And Kong looks pretty damn great - I think he's the first movie character to go from being a stop-motion puppet to a guy in a suit to an actor (Andy Serkis) being interpreted into a computer as a CGI creation.

I seem to remember the last TPM trailer having an uncompleted shot of battle droids marching too.