My Final Thought..Harry Potter POA

JMan

I was thinking about this third score of the Harry Potter film today. It was on HBO this morning and I thought if Williams had done MORE with that 3-note motif that was Sirius Blacks theme, that the score would have been better. That is my final thought about the POA score.

Somehow I just wasnt impressed with that score as I was with the 1st or 2nd, call me crazy! I thought Double Trouble was a minute long waste of time and if he intertwined the 3note motif there would have been more of a musical connection to the story..Any thoughts at all?

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well that three note motif, imo, was just.. well.. a minor motif and if it had been used a lot in the score, well, idk, there's nothing too special about it. I would be afraid it would be overused like that nasty "Stone motif". Ugh.

Picture the sinks in the bathroom opening the entrance to the Chamber of Secrets. Hear anything in your mind? Nasty blaring trumpets?

~Sturgis

The Stone theme is used just fine in the first film. But it never should have appeared in the second, the Chamber theme should have been used instead.

On the original point of PoA's themes, I agree. The main reason I like SS more than PoA is comparing the thematic structures, SS being one of Williams' best ever.

I agree that thematicly SS is superior to POA. There is such a huge library of themes. However POA to me is a better score the quality of music is just better, plus POA brings about a of dark dreary but whimisical essence with the medievil orchestration that is more potent than the style of SS. My opinion of course.

Though SS is my favorite of the three, I hear in POA a fresh, invigorated Williams, one who's thrown caution to the wind and just going balls out in whatever direction he's chosen for the movie. The score just has such a wonderful feeling about it.

POA is my favorite of the three, Williams uses these medieval motifs with a late 19 centruy rossini-esque narrative in the score.

I agree that thematicly SS is superior to POA. There is such a huge library of themes. However POA to me is a better score the quality of music is just better, plus POA brings about a of dark dreary but whimisical essence with the medievil orchestration that is more potent than the style of SS. My opinion of course.

HAHAHAHAHA!

I thought the Stone Motif was supposed to be Voldemort's Theme #2.  Kind of like how the Force Theme is also Ben's Theme.

If anything, it would be his third theme, as Voldemort and You Know Who both have distinct themes.

Marian - :music:

POA is my favorite of the three, Williams uses these medieval motifs with a late 19 centruy rossini-esque narrative in the score.

. . . said Alfonso Cuaron. 8O

~Sturgis

Indeed he is.

Morlock- who is reminded of a that line from Maverick: "And I figure it's their fault too, for being on our land before we got there"

I think Double Trouble is one of Williams' very best recent themes. Rather than the simple (but effective) 3-note Sirius motif being used more, I think that if Double Trouble had been used more throughout the score (I believe the sleeping bag scene is its last appearance), it would have made the score more cohesive overall. Like having a driving "Elfman-esque" - for lack of a better term - rendition as the kids run through the forest during one of the climaxes. Still, I agree with what Morlock and HPFan said about PoA above. Though its not as thematically and cohesively impressive as SS, it makes up for that with its freshness and inspired spirit.

Ray Barnsbury

Where is the Sirius motif?

The only statement of it on the CD is in the middle of Qidditch, Third Year when Harry sees the Grim in the clouds. The biggest unreleased statement is when Sirius is revealed behind the door in the Shreiking Shack.

I wish the version of Sirius' theme on CD was used in the film. When Harry sees the Grim in the clouds, the theme is not very noticeable. At least not as noticeable as it is on the CD, what with it being played twice in a row.

It's different in the movie? I don't remember that. I love the way it's used in the Knight Bus sequence, when Harry sees the Sirius article in the Daily Prophet.

Marian - who will watch the film again soon.