Looking for film score sheet music

jsawruk

I am looking for orchestral sheet music for film scores, either authentic or arranged.

Requirements:

- Film score must have been recorded by the London Symphony when used in the film

- NO scores by John Williams as I have most of them

- Scores should use standard orchestral instruments: no synths, no rock or jazz instruments, no ethnic instruments, etc., because of the limitation of my sample set. If the LSO doesn't have the instrument on hand, then neither do I.

I would greatly appreciate it if any of this music happened to be in Finale or Sibelius format. I'd also prefer digital over paper.

I am especially looking for LOTR stuff.

Arrangements are acceptable.

Why? I am trying to compare the sound of our software which uses samples recorded with the LSO (at Abbey Road) to pieces of music that the LSO actually recorded (preferrably in Abbey Road).

I started entering the Star Wars main title and was blown away by how close to the recording it sounded for such economical and easy to use samples. When I get more of the Star Wars title done, I will upload it so you all can hear for yourself. I will also be doing other JW pieces and some Beatles stuff.

I am willing to trade my JW scores as well.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am especially looking for LOTR stuff.

From what I know, the only LOTR stuff recorded by the LSO is the orchestral arrangement of De Meij's Lord of the Rings Symphony. The Shore scores were recorded by Shore's usual orchestra, the London Philharmonic, except for a few cues from FOTR which were recorded earlier, by the New Zealand Symphony Orchestra.

Marian - :)

:music: Ever After (George Fenton)

Ah ok good to know. I thought it was LSO that recorded it. Still looking for Shore's LOTR stuff though. I have a partial transcription of the opening titles of The Two Towers that I am working on, but that's about it.

Yes I know that, but the reverberation is not as important unless I intend to do a direct comparison of "same group, same venue", which is only part of what I am looking to do. I am also just looking for things that sound good, so I can compare "real recording vs. sampled playback". The sampled playback isn't 100% the quality of the original recording, but I'd say my Star Wars mockup was already 90%+ there, and that was without tweaking.

Might I ask what software it is you are using? is it something new under development? old stuff? have you somehow maybe gotten your hands on on some of the new Zimmer stuff in development, or...? I'm very intrigued by this because I have several big libraries myself, and I have tried making Star Wars many times but never have I gotten a satisfying result.

Yes, I am looking for conductor's scores. Please tell me more! 8O

The software I am using is called Notion http://www.notionmusic.com. It was released in April 2005. It is music notation software that contains ~4-5 GB of samples recorded with the LSO at Abbey Road studios. I am a software developer for Notion. My job right now is to develop MusicXML functionality. Finale has full MusicXML import/export (full on both platforms from 2006+, full on PC, partial on Mac for some eariler versions), and there is a plugin for Sibelius to export to MusicXML. My ultimate personal goal is to get these three apps to talk to each other via MusicXML so that I can share my music with people who use different software than I do.

Notion's two main features are it's impressive sample library and NTempo realtime variable speed tempo control. NTempo allows you to perform accel/rit in realtime, enabling you to use Notion in live performance situations (it was especially designed for musical theatre). These performances can be saved for future use, adding a lot of expression to your playback.

The sample library is really good. It currently only comprises standard orchestral instruments, but it is expanding rapidly to include others as well. It seems that we record new samples just about every month! The samples are better than GPO, but not as good as VSL. Regardless, they are far easier to use than any other sample set I've seen. You don't need to program a sequencer to use them. If you write it on the sheet music, Notion will automatically load the appropriate samples. For example, to get pizzicato, you just put in the "pizz." mark. If you place a trill on a note, it loads a trill sample. If you make a note staccato, it loads a staccato sample etc. With other libraries, you could spend hours programming all of this in.

If you are a composer and are looking for high quality orchestral sounds that are easy to use and reasonably priced, then Notion is for you. It is easier to learn than Finale and about as easy as Sibelius.

I'm an Overture guy myself. Just waiting until Overture 4 to be released since it's going to be able to import VSTi's so I can use my EWQLSO Gold and Kontakt 2 VSL samples with it. But then again, I'm used to it having started on Passport Encore (written by the same fella).

I don't know how EW/QL works, but I know that programming with VSL is complicated. That's where Notion is different; it eliminates that middle layer of complexity and does away with the need for MIDI programming.

I think I can safely say that, in ANY notation program, including Notion, if you just put the words "col legno" on to your string part with out any additional work, that string part will not play back col legno. Notion will make what I just said possible, however (but I don't know when the col legno samples are due out... but soon!). Sure, you can do MIDI mappings and route certain words to trigger events etc in other software, but there is no need to in Notion because it does it automatically.

However, if you use the VSL, then the only reason you'd really want Notion would be increase your compositional efficiency by using Notion as a sketch pad, exporting to MIDI, reloading into a sequencer, and then fine tuning the VSL performance. This way you can concentrate on composing when you are composing and sequencing when you are sequencing. I often find that when I do sequencing, my sounds are really good, but my compositions are terrible because I spend too much time in the sequencing details instead of focusing on the music.

Finale 2006 also supports VSTi, but only those made on the NI Kontakt platform. Sibelius does not (yet) support VSTi, and the current version of Notion does not, but I assume that both of them will because they need to respond to Finale. I have wanted such technology for years.

VSL has complexity because it has such a huge range of samples and different articulations as well as legato instruments. There's no real way with present technology to simplify the process of creating music through VSL.. although I wouldn't use anything else - the sounds are so realistic. ROTFLMAO

Are the complete LOTR scores being released this year?
Yes.

I had heard not until 2006. Shore seems increasingly apathetic about the project in the few interviews and articles we get.

Yes, I am looking for conductor's scores. Please tell me more!

I've got the conductor's scores for the concert suites of FOTR/ TTT, the ones you can buy for instance on musicnotes.com.

I'd be glad to share them with you, but I doubt these are the ones you're looking for.

Yes, those will do fine!