Is John Williams Your Favorite Film Composer?

Is John Williams Your Favorite Film Composer?  

41 members have voted

1. 1.

• Yes.
    • No.

I know it sounds like a silly question, but I'm sure there are several people here who like others better. If JW is not your favoite, please tell who is.

I voted yes.

~Sturgis

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

These days, no. After listening to Jerry a lot on vacation, I think he's my favorite, just b/c he was so versatile, whimsical, and experimental. I liked his sense of humor better. JW, on the other hand, just seems like he doesn't get humor b/c he's so intelligent. I know he does have a sense of humor, but not like Jerry did. John Williams would never work for Joe Dante. Jerry Goldsmith would. I think anyone who's willing to tackle that and come up with gold is a master.

John Williams, Jerry Goldsmith and Danny Elfman are all my favourite film composers. Sometimes, it'll be Johnny week, the next it'll be Jerry week, and so on. Depends on my mood.

So the answer is yes, to an extent.

Since there are more John Williams CD's in my collection (about 45 in total) than any other composer (nearest is James Horner at about 20) I could safely say yes he is.

I used the same criteria as Jedimaster, and came to the same conclusion for the same reason...

same here, i've more John Williams CD's in my collection than any other composer as well.

Hmmmm - good poll....

Goldsmith CD's - 11

Horner CD's - 12

Elfman CD's - 3

Williams CD's - 103

Tough Choice!

Williams all the way.....but I've always liked the way other composers are represented on this board by fervent fans - it all adds to the rich diversity and good debate/discussion....

...that is APART from any MV fans....

Williams and Goldsmith are pretty much at the same level for me. Sometimes I'd give a slight edge to Goldsmith, but I classify them both as my favourite film composers. And my favourite composers after Anton Bruckner.

Marian - :music:

For me, John Williams is the greatest living composer and my favorite film composer of all time.

Yes, he is my favorite film composer. In a way I like him and Goldsmith the same degree, sometimes Goldsmith is my favorite, sometimes (albight more often) Williams is my favorite, as I often go through composers 'phases' and listen almost exclusively to one composer. But on some level, Williams will always be my favorite. His mousic just gets me to places that no other's can (Goldsmith does that to me too, of course, but I feel his body of work is a bit diluted. Several different similar pieces work at something like 80% or 90%, but because there are so many of them, they rarely get to 100%. That's what I feel in general about a lot of my favorite composers- they may reach 80% or 90% pretty often, but it's very, very rare they hit 100%. Just something about me and JW's music- most of the time it gets to 100%).

BTW, Neil and Steef, I'm sorry to ask so blunt a question about a matter you might have been avoiding answering bluntly, but I'm really curious- who is you favorite film composer, living or dead?

Yeah, but again, only to an extent. I'm pretty much an equal fan of John Williams, James Newton Howard & Thomas Newman, and I have periods when each of them becomes my short term fave.

I don't 'obsess' over any of them as I also devote a lot of time to Silvestri, Goldsmith and others who I wouldn't describe myself as a fan of.

Yes. The answer is yes. The answer will always be yes. There is no question here.

John- who votes yes.

John2- who also has Goldsmith as his second favorite.

This thread makes for such an interesting read. 8O

If you don't like it, then stay out of it! No one appreciates a comment like that when we're trying to have an interesting discussion.

~Sturgis

No one appreciates a comment like that when  

we're trying to have an interesting discussion.

"I do" (small voice from the back of the hall)

Jw is definately favourite film composer. but not famous composer of all time. that has to go to my 3 tied for number one. beethoven, wagner and strauss (rich).

But copland had a decent score by Howard Shore.

I'm not sure what the "Fanfare for the Common Man" has to do with Stallone stuffing his shirt with pillows to pretend he's fat. But what about Shostakovich?

Well, one of my favourites aside from North.

Morn, you dig Alex North? Thumbs up buddy. North was a great composer.

Williams is my favorite film composer. Not my all time favorite composer mind you. that's either Mahler or Ralph Vaughan Williams.... probably the latter since I have almost every one of his works and I love them all.

Morn, you dig Alex North?

:)

Morlock- who thought it was impossible to have heard of Morn, yet not know that he was North's self-proclaimed biggest fan (rumour is, he's even bought a hard copy of one or two of his CDs!)

Morlock- who thought it was impossible to have heard of Morn, yet not know that he was North's self-proclaimed biggest fan (rumour is, he's even bought a hard copy of one or two of his CDs!)

LOL

----------------

Alex Cremers - who is in the clear because he has three legit CDs of Alex North.

LOL

----------------

Alex Cremers - who is in the clear because he has three legit CDs of Alex North.

LOL

I think JW is a league of his own. No other composer, living or dead, has his brilliance. So yes, of course, JW is my all-time favorite composer.

Damo, do you realize your signature is ridiculously long?

yes i did. :)

Williams is one of the very best, and I love his major scores, plus some of his "smaller" ones.

Overall, however, I greatly prefer Goldsmith, whose work has very rarely disappointed me.

He was a lot more versatile, i think, and his "smaller" scores are as interesting as any major score.

John Williams is thus "only" my second best composer (but not that far from Goldsmith), along with Bruce Broughton.

1) John Williams

2) Antonin Dvorak

3) Sergei Prokofiev

I also have a list of 20 in fav order, but no time at the moment :)