Which Williams scores do you know the most in detail?

King Mark

By that I mean you know every cue by heart,you know where every bit of unreleased music goes,you've painstainkingly edited the c.d. tracks back into the film order,you can recognise almost every random segment of music you hear and know exactly where it is in the score ...ect...

For me:

Revenge of the Sith

HPPoA

A.I.

Phantom Menace

Hook

Raiders of the Lost Ark

Temple of Doom

Empire Strikes Back

Return of the Jedi

K.M.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well,yeah,I made my own expanded c.d. by editing unreleased music from the Galaxies videogame,plus I split up Jack Chappel's "complete score" edit into the cues written on the score sheet so I have a pretty good grasp of the recorded cues and what's unreleased.I also made that thematic analisis that was on the main page so I had to listen to all of it carefully.

In contrast I don't know AotC very much

K.M.

Williams Scores

Star Wars

The Empire Strikes Back

Superman: The Movie

Raiders of the Lost Ark

Jurassic Park

Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace

Star Wars: Episode II - Attack of the Clones

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

Non-Williams Scores

Looney Tunes: Back In Action - Jerry Goldsmith

Supergirl - Jerry Goldsmith

Poltergeist - Jerry Goldsmith

Poltergeist II - Jerry Goldsmith

The Shadow - Jerry Goldsmith

The Mummy - Jerry Goldsmith

The Mummy Returns - Alan Silvestri

Independence Day - David Arnold

Batman Returns - Danny Elfman

Spider-Man - Danny Elfman

Planet of the Apes - Danny Elfman

Well, I'm not so versed in technology as to know how to do that nor even how to get all of the music, but I've listened to the soundtrack to Jurassic Park so much that it's scratchy on "Incident At Isla Nublar," track 3, and I could probably anticipate every change in mood and sudden turn-around in the music just from hearing it so much. Other than that, I don't really know any music in as much detail as for what you ask.

~Conor

Jaws, could be that I've listened to it for 30 years now.

Star Wars (A New Hope)

Accidental Tourist

Nixon

Angela's Ashes

Schindler's List

Sabrina

Seven Years in Tibet

and to a lesser extent

E.T. (the first released version)

The Lost World

Minority Report

Hook

And the ones I know the least:

Return of the Jedi

Jurassic Park

all Indy scores except perhaps the Doom score

…other composers's works I know pretty well:

The Sixth Sense

Out of Africa

Basic Instinct

Edward Scissorhands

Legends of the Fall

Secondhand Lions

I cannot think of more now…

Roman.-)

Raiders of The Lost Ark

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade

Hook

Home Alone

The Phantom Menace

Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

The Empire Strikes Back

I know large pieces of others, but I tend to hear some new nuance every time I listen to them (Star Wars, ET, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone, AI)

Jeff -- ;) "Schindler's Workforce"

All 6 Star Wars, though I'm still working on RotS

All 3 Harry Potters

All 3 Indiana Jones

Hook

Superman

The Patriot (mainly due to it being one of my first Williams scores)

Jaws

Close Encounters

Star Wars

Raiders of the Lost Ark

E.T.

A.I.

HP: POA

Revenge of the Sith

I've been most meticulous with Raiders and Last Crusade.

I can do that with most Goldsmith and Williams scores. With Horner...I can only do that with a few. Apollo 13, Star Trek II, and Sneakers is probably the best I could do. And I've got a lot of Horner that I listen to all the time!

I think I know James Newton Howard's Peter Pan better than any other score. Go figure.  

BUT what about John Williams?

Jurassic Park

Raiders of the Lost Ark

A New Hope

The Empire Strikes Back

Revenge of the Sith

Harry Potter and the Philospher's Stone

Superman

Jaws

Hook

I'd say JP, HPPS, SW and ESB in particular. I've not just listened to these many, many times, but I've made many a mental note to myself about these scores.

- Marc

Most detail (like every phrase, where every theme is, all alterate takes etc): ESB, TPM, ROTS getting there (although obviously not all alternate takes), Schindler's List

I pretty much have Star Wars and The Phantom Menace memorized. With Empire and Jedi, I'm a little hazy on some of the more "boring" cues, generally the underscore stuff that was added for the SE release. Clones is boring in a lot of places, but I know the CD album well. Unreleased cues, not so much.

I also know the CD album of Chamber of Secrets by heart. :?

I think I know James Newton Howard's Peter Pan better than any other score. Go figure.  

BUT what about John Williams?

I meant of any score by anyone . . . I don't know why. Anyways, probably POA is the one I know best of Williams.

~Sturgis, going away to rethink his life for a while . . .

Sturgis 2 -- Cerrabore, this :? looks oddly like your avatar.

IJ and the Last Crusade.

I was working on a complete analysis of it, I even analyzed the themes, then my comp konked out and I lost everything I had written.

Dracula

Jaws

Jaws 2

and, strangely enough, 'Hook', a score i find rather childish, but maybe because it's exactly of this playfulness i remember so many moments from it.

The phantom Menace and Hook. Assembling complete editions of those makes you hear them several times in a row... I think i will add Alien to the list :roll:

The SW SEs are the most played CDs in my shelf.

And JP was the 1st score i had.

Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (being the only CD I ever owned for about 12 months, until I got...

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets

Raiders of the Lost Ark

The Empire Strikes Back

Back when I had a very tedious summer job, it was very repetitious and I was kinda all alone by myself. We couldn't have radio as it was too dangerous so I would pass my days by playing in my head various Johnny scores. I could spend like 2hours with TESB in my head, sometimes the tempo would be pretty off but oh well days flyed by!

For me it would be...

Hook

Attack Of The Clones

Revenge Of The Sith

There are a few non Williams scores too that I can put into film order as well...

JP is mentionned a lot.I sort of know the first half pretty well,but after Journey to the Island I almost never listen to it(Eye to Eye,High Wire Stunts,Jurassic Park Gate...ect...)

I have the Far and Away unreleased cues somewhere,never bothered to mix them with the album.

K.M.

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade.

Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom.

Raiders of the Lost Ark.

Star Wars.

The Empire Strikes Back.

Return of the Jedi.

I have the Far and Away unreleased cues somewhere,never bothered to mix them with the album.

I'll be happy to replace you as Towner Knight.

Only kiddin'.

Probably Jurassic Park more than anything for me. It's very special because it's the first score that got me into Williams when I was but a lil 8 year old. My friend Ryan likes to quote all of the dialogue and I try to hum the music behind him. *memories*

You know... As often as the Harry Potter scores and Hook are mentioned, I think that shows how much we like them, how memorable they are, and how the score as a whole is very good. I think memorable and listenable make a good score. Which those mentioned above are.

Probably Jurassic Park more than anything for me. It's very special because it's the first score that got me into Williams when I was but a lil 8 year old. My friend Ryan likes to quote all of the dialogue and I try to hum the music behind him. *memories*

LOL I approve.

Ray Barnsbury

You know... As often as the Harry Potter scores and Hook are mentioned, I think that shows how much we like them, how memorable they are, and how the score as a whole is very good. I think memorable and listenable make a good score. Which those mentioned above are.

This thread could be the measure of the true Williams classics.Because if you end up learning all the cues by heart for whatever reason I believe that's a measure of greatness.More than voting for CE3K in a Best of Williams poll, because you really like the last 20 minutes but don't know the first 3/4 very well...

K.M.

Star Wars

Empire

Jedi

Close Encounters of the Third Kind

E.T.

Superman

The Accidental Tourist

Raiders

Temple of Doom

Last Crusade

Hook

Catch Me If You Can

Born on the Fourth of July

The Reivers

Schindler's List

The River

Jurassic Park

This thread could be the measure of the true Williams classics.Because if you end up learning all the cues by heart for whatever reason I believe that's a measure of greatness.More than voting for CE3K in a Best of Williams poll, because you really like the last 20 minutes but don't know the first 3/4 very well...

K.M.

*Hangs head in shame* I'll get into it soon! Especially after WOTW!

Revenge of the Sith

Jurassic Park

Pretty much all 3 Potters

Others:

Gladiator (just about both albums)

Lord of the Rings Trilogy

Dante's Peak (JNH)

Signs (JNH)

The Edge (Goldsmith)

Shawshank Redemption (Newman)

American Beauty (Newman)

Definitely Jurassic Park, and TPM is growing more and more familiar as I put the pieces together in my edit. Gosh, there are so many, it's hard to really think back on it all. Hook is another one...

Jurassic Park

TPM

ANH

Hook

Raiders

TOD

LC

That's off the top of my head. It's tough to really think hard about, though, you know?

Well, I disagree. I think a large portion of these scores are so remembered by us because they are the ones we listened to first, the ones that introduced us to Williams and defined his style in our minds. That doesn't make a particular score better, just eralier in our lives.

I know all the details of Close Encounters because when I listened to it continuously in late 77 and early 78, there were only a handful of other JW scores, Star Wars, Missouri Breaks, Jaws, TI, and Earthquake, I never found Eiger Sanction. So CE3K is ingrained into my being, as are those others I mentioned.

• 1 year later...