The Passion of the Christ Symphony

JMan

John Debney and a 200 piece Orchestra and Choir with soloists recently premiered a new work of music that had themes from The Passion. It is comprised of 7 movements and it is over 80 minutes long. Has anyone heard about this premiering in Rome? Are there any thoughts?

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was expecting an oscar nomination (as it got), that's how good I think it is :)

So it wasn't good enough to expect an Oscar win? 8O

Neil

It should really have won. The composer isnt known for his music being that great. John Debney's history consists of movies like Elf, Bruce ALmighty, and Hocus Pocus! So this was quite a huge turn for his writing. I think the score really does reflect the atmosphere of this HIGHLY dramatic and graphic movie because as soon as I put it in and listen, every part of the music brings me right back to the moment where I heard it in the movie. Especially when the ending track Resurrection comes into place, I feel the extreme shivers of taking in the WHOLE film. You can tell I am a christian:)

It should really have won. The composer isnt known for his music being that great. John Debney's history consists of movies like Elf, Bruce ALmighty, and Hocus Pocus!

Don't forget the BRILLIANT Cuttroath Island.

You can tell I am a christian:)

No one's perfect. :)

I'd say you'll enjoy it if you're a fan of, or at least like, Thomas Newman (who I am a huge fan of).

I was expecting an oscar nomination (as it got), that's how good I think it is :)

So it wasn't good enough to expect an Oscar win? ;)

Neil

I was hoping one of The Village, Snicket or Azkaban would win (I'm not playing faves with JW here - I would have been happy with either of those as they were by my 3 fave composers). It's years like this that I wish more than 1 person could get the oscar (and of course, that Kaczmarek had never signed on to Finding Neverland :) )

So to answer your question, yes it was good enough, but I preferred one of the other scores.

So.....it's 80 minutes of non-thematic, yet very atmospheric, build up?

Yes....but I can see a lot of those motifs or small ideas that are built in several cues and would nearly count as themes. I think there is one theme, for Mary although it isn't the strongest.

I think it's a decent score, and it's got some really fantastic high points. Not Oscar worthy, not when we had several good, fresh, and interesting scores last year. Azkaban should have won, IMO, best music written for a film last year, together with Troy and The Aviator.

The Passion of the Christ symphony:

Movement 1: "No no no no!!!"

Movement 2: "Oooofff"

Movement 3: "Aaaaargh!"

Movement 4: "Ugh aaaa"

Movement 5: "Eeeeeeurgh!"

Movement 6: "aaaaaAAAAAAH"

Movement 7: "Ouch! (etc...)"

Passion of the Christ: The only Christ movie I've ever seen where the crucifixion scene feels less like a torture than a relief after all that's gone before.