51 members have voted

1. 1.

• Jaws
    • Jurassic Park

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jurassic Park, only because this is the soundtrack that got me into loving soundtracks. I always like Star Wars, but this one helped me to flesh out into soundtracks.

Plus, "Journey to the Island" is one of the best pieces JW has ever written.

stewdog - :music: Howard Shore, Silence of the Lambs

Lets see, one is an Oscar Winning score, the other wasn't even nominated.

One is the most recognized movie theme of ALL TIME.

one is the most recognized theme from the '90's.

Both are great. But the Shark wins easily.

movie_trex.jpg

Joe, as if its any surprise what I voted for.

I pick JP, but that's only because the theme still brings tears to my eyes. Jaws simply doesn't have something like that, though both are great scores.

I actually WOULD have given Schindler's oscar to JP. :)

Marian - who remembers wondering if he should buy the JP score album even before he knew who John Williams was, or that there is something like film music at all (yes, I know that sounds weird).

Jurassic Park.

Jaws is a great score though.

JP is also a better film.

Justin -Who needs to the get the RSNO re-recording to Jaws.

Oh my God! I actually thought Jaws would win by a landslide, and it's actually behind JP! :)

Jurassic Park is great, but IMHO, Jaws is a much richer score. Joe's picture pretty much sums up my feelings on the matter. LOL!

I actually WOULD have given Schindler's oscar to JP.  8O  

so would I, but Jaws is a better film, and a better soundtrack. And as good as JP is Jaws is a landmark film and score. JP is neither.

I am pretty sure that at these moments, Quint, Hooper, and Chrissie, would be pulling for JP however. :)

25.jpg

18.jpg

11.jpg

Jurassic Park is undoubtlya landmark film. It was the movie my generation loved when they were 9/10 years old. It was the first film I opened my mouth in awe. It was for me what I suposed Star Wars was in 1977 for some of the posters here. It can be argued wether Jurassic Park is a great film or not (I think it's great), but one cannot deny the impact it had, so it is trully a landmark film.

The score was not as ground reaking as Jaws (how could it be anyway), but is one most famous scores of all time, including 2 world famous themes (very few scores have 2 world famous themes).

As good as Jaws is, Jurassic Park is, IMHO, a better listening experience and a better more exciting filme (although Jaws is still brillliant) and I can claim that Jurassic Park was THE movie of my childhood.

Isn't it curious that if you keep your cds in alphabetical order, Jurassic Park stays just over Jaws? :)

Jurassic Park is undoubtlya landmark film. It was the movie my generation loved when they were 9/10 years old. It was the first film I opened my mouth in awe. It was for me what I suposed Star Wars was in 1977 for some of the posters here. It can be argued wether Jurassic Park is a great film or not (I think it's great), but one cannot deny the impact it had, so it is trully a landmark film.

There's no denying JP is a landmark in its effects and spectacle, but the same impact as Jaws or Star Wars? Hmmm, I just don't know.

Perhaps my generation was more naive, or hadn't as much exposure to such variety of entertainment spectacles, but I remember that during Jaws, people walked out in many theaters (mine included) because they found it too intense. Some people (and I'm not talking just kids) had nightmares, others were afraid to go into pools, let alone the ocean, and believe it or not, an uncle of mine even admitted that he was afraid of getting into his shower after watching the film! Jaws was a popular topic of conversation for a whole year after.

Merkel, can you describe a bit more about how Jurassic Park made its impact on your generation? I'm really interested. :)

The score was not as ground reaking as Jaws (how could it be anyway), but is one most famous scores of all time, including 2 world famous themes (very few scores have 2 world famous themes).

Now on this, I'm sorry, but I totally disagree. I love both JP themes, but I seriously doubt that most lay-people (non-film fans) will readily recognize either one, while most will immediately recognize Jaws. Hell, in 1976, regular radio stations constantly played a version of the Jaws theme, complete with screaming effects, and we all flipped out when we heard it; it was sort of a guilty pleasure. The power of those two notes, the connotation of danger and excitement is something that sets it apart.

I actually WOULD have given Schindler's oscar to JP.  :)

Are you mad????

Morn - Who voted for Jaws

Poor, poor Marian, who thinks he perfectly sane.

Don't you know that crazy people always think they're sane.

Its the sane people who think they are crazy.

Joe, who is crazy as a bessy bug.

the voting is as close as AI vs. HP!!

very interesting.

I voted for JP by the way, but I would not have given the oscar from SL to JP.

I think Jaws is very good, and groundbreaking at his time (was not my time jut 2 years old)

But for my point of view, now, at this time, JP is the better score. :!:

What, are you crazy? Has the world gone MAD?!!!! OF COURSE, it's Jaws! Jurassic Park shouldn't even be mentioned in the same breath, unless it be derisively. The score is okay -- I hesitate to say "great," or even "very good." Tender moments, like "My Friend, the Brachiosaurus" are swallowed up in headache-inducing bombast. NOT one of my favorite Williams scores -- not even close.

As for the movie itself -- Jaws Lite. Jaws is a masterpiece. Great direction, great music, believable acting, believable situation. Jurassic Park is an amusement park ride, which is seldom amusing.

I find this very poll insulting.

Figo, who sees Richard Attenborough's character as the contrived sentimental creation he is -- Spielbergian, in the worst sense.

Who ever heard of a kindly, old mad scientist? EAT HIM.

Well, AHerrera, Jurassic Park came out at a time when everi kid aournd her loved dinosaurs, and to see them alive (yes, alive) was the most breathtaking cinematic experience I have ever had. A film can also be great by its sheer visual impact, and JP had that. Maybe people around my age can explain this better than I do, but JP is for me, true and genuine movie magic. it was like a dream come true to see the dinosaurs alive. When the main theme explodes and Alan Gran sees the sauropods swimming in the lake, it makes me cry anytime. The tension in the kitchen scene is incredible. There lots of reasons why I love this movie.

I also love Jaws, but its strong point was mainly the suspense and the feeling of lurking, wether in Juarssic Park, it was the feeling of wonder, the awe, the teh ever present conscience of nature.

About the themes, while there is no doubt the Jaws theme is wordl famous, I would dare to say that here, in Portugal, the most famous theme is the Raiders March. I usually ask a lot fo people about themes ans tunes they know form films, and they almost always know the 2 more prominient themes from Jurassic Park (the main theme and the island theme). The only other case of a film (or saga) where people usually recognize 2 themes is starwars (main theme and Imperial march, but very little else...the force theme sometimes). So, to sum it up, people I ask about movie themes (this not scientifical at all and very little reliable, but it's worth what it's worth) almost always know the 2 themes from Jurassic Park.

What, are you crazy?  Has the world gone MAD?!!!!  OF COURSE, it's Jaws!  Jurassic Park shouldn't even be mentioned in the same breath, unless it be derisively.  The score is okay -- I hesitate to say "great," or even "very good."  Tender moments, like "My Friend, the Brachiosaurus" are swallowed up in headache-inducing bombast.

What? You could say the same about Jaws :)

Why don't you like it much? :)

Thanks Merkel, now I get it. I suppose I forgot that this was a new experience for you. I too, love dinosaurs and marvelled at the sight, but I think I already knew what to expect, while the sight caught you off-guard, much the same way that SW or Superman caught us off-guard way back when. The tag line "You'll believe a man can fly" was totally right! After that first experience, I was many times amazed, but never again surprised by what I saw on screen. Now, if through the years JP continues to be such a delight for you as SW has been for me, you're in for a real treat. :)

What? You could say the same about Jaws :)

Why don't you like it much?  :)

Morn, you're ridiculous. If you're going to try to churn up controversy, the least you could do is say something which makes sense. There is nothing bombastic about Jaws. The New England sea shanties, the baroque pastiche of "Tourists on the Menu," the shark cage fugue, the swashbuckling barrel chase, the eerie "Indianapolis Story," and of course the ominous accelerando of the famous shark theme -- this is quite simply one of the greatest film scores ever written.

Figo, thinking Morn should get himself a brain transplant.

I'm not suprised the voting is close, remember alot of the posters on this board are young and were influenced more by Jurassic Park.

Of course us older folk know Jaws is the better score. :)

Morn, you're ridiculous.  If you're going to try to churn up controversy, the least you could do is say something which makes sense.  There is nothing bombastic about Jaws.  The New England sea shanties, the baroque pastiche of "Tourists on the Menu," the shark cage fugue, the swashbuckling barrel chase, the eerie "Indianapolis Story," and of course the ominous accelerando of the famous shark theme -- this is quite simply one of the greatest film scores ever written.

The swashbuckling barrel chase??? Why is that not bombast? Granted it's not as brutal as JP, but it's still bombast :sigh:

Modern Williams action music has less cliched emotions and is more harsh then his old action music. If anything is for the lowest common denominator, it's is very melodic old action music :) I consider his modern action music better but not more fun.

Morn - Who thinks Figo's definition of Bombast is too subjective :)

I vote for Jurassic park being the best soundtrack of the 2

But i must say that Jaws is the much better made movie by far.

And Figo,i'm sick of the rude way you talk to people on this board.

I bet you would'nt say half the things you do if you were face to face.

:sigh:

There aren't by any chance two separate people using the screen name Melange, are there? I ask, because his responses to my posts are positively bi-polar. Sometimes he laughs, sometimes he throws a hissy-fit.

Oh well, you can't please everyone, but you can certainly entertain yourself.

Morn, I suggest you consult a reputable dictionary on the definition of "bombast." While you're at it, you may also want to look up "bombastic." That should clear up any question of subjectivity.

Figo, just trying to inject a little personality into his writing, and sorry to hear Melange is ill.

You're right Figo. I am actually ill at the mo...hehe... Bit of a headcold.

I just think sometimes you intentionally go out of your way to start a fight with Morn.??

Anyway. :sigh:

Jurassic Park is more well-rounded, since it has a little bit of everything. The score to Jurassic Park has many faces. Jaws, to me, is like a two-faced score, and therin lies its brilliance. On one end, it is a dark, brooding score about the shark and then on the other end, it's an atmospheric, even happy, score.

now because Jurassic Park has more sides, that doesn't make it a better score. as a listening experience, Jurassic Park is inevitably a bit more satisfying. one thing that people have to remember is that film scores have to do two things. 1) compliment what is on the screen and function within a film, and 2) function as a stand-alone piece of music.

and when you analyze them like that, it's really hard not to go with Jaws, because of its brilliance within the film and its ability to maintain itself on its own. Jurassic Park, which is a great score within the film, really doesn't come close to Jaws in that respect.

overall, i think it's really tough. Jaws is better in the film and isn't really the type of score that one would want to listen to for pleasure all the time, like Jurassic Park is. and Jurassic Park is a much better experience on album, though still very good in the film.

I believe that Jaws is a more effective score and that Jurassic Park is a better listen. it's only a matter of opinion from there, which you would rather go with, one of the most effective film score of all time or one of the best sounding and most melodic film scores of all time.

and as hard as it was comparing them and analyzing them, personally, i have to go with Jaws. but like i said, it's a matter of opinion and how you view film scores in general.

Functionally, JAWS kills JP but it's closer when discussing how the score plays away from the film. I'd actually probably take JP since it's very melodious. JAWS has so many great music moments but, again, some of the cues work better in the context of the film. I suppose this is one of those "matter of opinion" things.

It must be. I can't for the life of me understand why some people would choose Jurassic Park over Jaws, but I guess that will have to remain one of life's impenetrable mysteries, like why some people actually vote Republican.

I can't say I agree with your points, tpigeon, although I do appreciate your sense of inner conflict! I don't in any way find JP to be more melodic or satisfying as a listening experience. As I've said before, after 70 minutes worth of near-uninterrupted vacuity and, yes, bombast, I welcome the relative restraint of any given track on Jaws. I often listen to Jaws for pleasure, thank you very much, especially this time of year, when I'm likely to visit the shore. I also use my enviable position as radio announcer to play pieces like "Tourists on the Menu." How you could write off this early masterpiece as "two-faced" is beyond me. Christ, I already laid out six or seven faces for Morn.

As for my "fighting" with Morn -- come on, Melange, you know he likes it. I know he likes it, which is why I'm not afraid to hit a little harder with him than is necessary. Take a minute to read some of his posts, man! (I know it's difficult, but suffer through just a couple of them, for argument's sake.) He's itching for a fight! After all, what else is there to do in Australia?

Morn, very sorry to hear about (Australian-born) Leo McKern, a great actor.

And Melange -- get well, you irascible old bastard!

Jurassic Park.

Jaws is a great score though.

JP is also a better film.

Justin -Who needs to the get the RSNO re-recording to Jaws.

The film Jurassic Park is better than Jaws? Justin, why would you say such a thing like that? Jaws is such a clearly better movie in every conceivable way that your post makes me want to laugh.

Jaws has better acting, better drama, better scares, better dialogue, better pacing and of course a much more memorable and better score. The only thing that Jurassic Park has going for it is the CG effects, but Jaws works perfectly despite the fact that we rarely ever see the shark.

Neil

If JP followed the book more closely, it would indeed be a better movie than Jaws. As it is, I still like JP, but everytime I watch it, I'm annoyed about all the stuff they had to change. The book is really intelligent, the movie gets rather dumb after watching it a couple of times.

Marian - who still doesn't understand why Hammond and Malcolm had to survive in the movie.

:shakehead: Tubular Bells II (Mike Oldfield)

I cannot even get through JP any more. I can STILL sit through all of JAWS and come away as impressed as the first time I saw it waaaaaaay back in 1979 (re-release in theatres).

JP has stilted dialogue, poor editing and continuity, borderline bad acting, and some really noticeable fake dinos.

JAWS has a fake shark BUT having seen real sharks, "Bruce" actually ended up begin more monstrous and scary than a real great white (which to me looks very graceful swimming). Meaning, the fake sharl worked in favor of the story. The acting was amazing too. There weren't any characters that had the burning hate of Quint in JP, or the honest morality of Brody, or the genuinely funny humour and ranting of Matt Hooper.

JAWS is a classic. JP is only really remembered for its CG effects.

If JP followed the book more closely, it would indeed be a better movie than Jaws. As it is, I still like JP, but everytime I watch it, I'm annoyed about all the stuff they had to change. The book is really intelligent, the movie gets rather dumb after watching it a couple of times.

Marian - who still doesn't understand why Hammond and Malcolm had to survive in the movie.

:shakehead: Tubular Bells II (Mike Oldfield)

FINALLY. Yes! Jaws is an infinitely more intelligent movie.

It would have made a hell of a lot more sense for the dinosaurs to eat Hammond, in the classic Frankenstein tradition of the over-reaching scientist being consumed by his own engineered abomination(s). Then again, I heard Hammond was a real bastard in the book, which also would have made sense. The transformation into doddering inventor was a major miscalculation. Why didn't they just get Christopher Lloyd? ("Mahhhhhh-rty!") Instead of a tragic figure, Hammond is relegated to the stock clown usually seen in ballet (Coppelia, and some of the cheesier productions of The Nutcracker). His I-obviously-took-this-job-for-the-paycheck cameo in Lost World was even more offensive.

Figo, who has not read JP, and has no desire to.

Call me whatever you want, but I still think Jurassic park is a better movie and score than Jaws.

Fake dinos? They can't be any worse than the shark head. Those things don't make or break films of this quality.

Like I said Jaws is the better film without a doubt,

but Jurassic Park does not suffer from fake looking dino's.

It suffers from an underdeveloped script.

That is the films only problem.

the characters are quite engaging. Ian Malcolm is a facinating character.

They suffer only because the script suffers.

Production values on both films are first rate.

The shark in Jaws was state of the art then. It is not a liability now, anymore than it was in 1975.

Jaws simply works better because of great acting(something the film was not praised for initially), an innovative and tremendous score. Editing that is first rate. Plus it has a story that eliminates all the unnecessary elements and pinpoints on the main story at hand.

JP has good acting, a great score, also great editing, great effects, but then there is that unfocus story again.

Poor Merkel. Dazzled by his CGI dinosaurs, he can't see the forest for the trees.

Figo, who thinks perhaps Merkel's time might be better spent playing video games. :yellow:

P.S. Just because I dressed this post up with a flashy emoticon doesn't make it good.

All this manly affection!!! 8O :shakehead:

Anyone want to sing a few verses of Monty Python's Lumberjack song. :wow: