Thomas Newman.

HPFAN_2

Well we have an official Michael Ghiacchino thread, so why not one for Newman. Are there any other Newman fans out there? My last Newman score was Cinderella man, which to me was quite bland. But other than that his work has been brilliant so far. My favorite score has to be Finding Nemo.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a huge Newman fan too :)

I thought Cinderella Man was good but not amazing. The main theme is a little unoriginal as well. However, I love the tracks Weehawken Ferry, Big Right & Cinderella Man.

My favourites are Road to Perdition, American Beauty, Shawshank and the Horse Whisperer. Don't make me choose an ultimate favourite (although the Main Titles from Angels in America gets the best track award). Can't wait to hear what he comes up with for Jarhead :)

Well we have an official Michael Ghiacchino thread, so why not one for Newman.

Newman does not have the fame Michael Giacchino has.

Maybe not among mainstream fans but he's still an amazing composer.

Newman's great. If I'm feeling a little off-kilter his music is great accompaniment.

"Road to Perdition" is his best work yet. Everything else fights for second.

I really like his main theme for Six Feet Under. Of course, it's played every episode, so I've heard that a bit more often than his other stuff. I liked Nemo and Perdition in the films, but I don't have any of his stuff on CD.

Perdition is my favorite of his albums with Meet Maguire and Road to Chicago being my favorite tracks

Road to Perdition

Angels in America

Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events

Finding Nemo

These are all great. I'd rank them as they are listed. :P

Justin

I think his best is by far Road to Perdition. In context of the film, one of the greatest scores ever, a singular achievment. Second favorite is Little Women.

Last one of his I have is Angels in America, but I don't get why people think this is so brilliant.

Last one of his I have is Angels in America, but I don't get why people think this is so brilliant.

The main theme is reason enough.

Angels in America I liked. (BTW, does anyone know the lyrics for "infinite descent?")

Lemony Snicket is great. I love the "music box" theme for the orphans, and "Hurricane Herman" is awesome.

I only have Lemony Snicket. Has some great parts to it; the piano theme for the parents ("Resilience" and "The Letter That Never Came") and the strangely triumphant recurring motif first heard in "The Reptile Room" are great. Other than that, I don't know any of his work, though I did enjoy what I heard in Cinderella Man.

Ray Barnsbury

I really enjoyed Lemony Snicket, and I'd like to get a few of his other scores. I might use this thread for recommendation. I really enjoyed all the percussion in LS. It was a very unique type sound...

~Tyler, back from his month-long hiatus from the internet...

I admire Thomas Newman's musical output very much. I loved the sounds of [Road to Perdition in the context of the film and, based on the enthusiastic comments by posters here, I may look into buying it in the future. I am surprised American Beauty has not really been mentioned. This was the first T. Newman score I bought and, whilst the CD presentation is woefully short at approx 37 minutes, there is some great music here, which aided the success of that film no end. I don't listen to it much nowadays however, as I have well and truly exhausted its usefulness.

The Horse Whisperer is a very impressive and varied score, with excellent sound quality.

I'd be curious to know anyone's thoughts on the following Newman scores: The Green Mile and Meet Joe Black. Thanks.

CYPHER

I am surprised American Beauty has not really been mentioned.

I listed it as one of my favourites :)

I'd be curious to know anyone's thoughts on the following Newman scores: The Green Mile and Meet Joe Black.

I find The Green Mile is a very atmospheric but not very thematic score which took me a while to appreciate fully. It's like Perdition, but with few upbeat moments. I have to say I'm not a huge fan of Meet Joe Black. It's one of the few Newman scores I find truly depressing, having not seen the movie (with both of these I guess seeing the movie really helps), although the tracks 'Everywhere Freesia' and 'That Next Place' are amazing.

The Horse Whisperer is indeed a great score, especially considering it was a replacement for John Barry, and so presumably he didn't have that much time.

One of the reasons I come back to Newman a lot is for the variety of intsruments he uses and how a lot of times he makes them play out of tune (clarinet in Road to Perdition)

Don't forget SCENT OF A WOMAN.  Whoooaaaaaaaahhhh.  Very quirky.

'Tract House Ginch' is one of my all time favorite tracks.

I have The Green Mile and Road to Perdition.  They're dust collectors.

No, YOU'RE a dust collector!

Morlock- being philosophical.

Just picked up Cinderella Man. Sadly there's only about 30 minutes of score on the album and it's horribly interupted by 1930's songs. There's about 10-15 minutes of really good music on the album and the last two tracks of score are fantastic. I really love 'Turtle' wonderfully Irish. :angry:

Sadly, I'm kind of regreting shelling out 15 dollars for this CD. Certainly not up to Newman's usually standards. A rare hit and miss album.

Justin - Who's acctually glad he got it for the last two tracks.

Certainly not up to Newman's usually standards. A rare hit and miss album.

My thoughts exactly. Anyone here liked Lemony Snicket? I can't get enough of Lovely Spring.

I admit I didn't much like Lemony Snicket when I first heard it, but like all scores like that I now love it given some listening and seeing the movie.

Cinderella Man wasn't quite what I was expecting, with a lot of disjointed tracks (what is the cue 'Cold Meat Party' supposed to be?), but it has 3 or 4 excellent cues, the rest being stellar. I'd be interested in how much is unreleased though, given the aforementioned track was included :roll: