Post Your SA-CD Collection!

Lurker

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

!

I possess only a hybrid of Jeff Wayne's War of the Worlds....not out of choice though - it hasn't been re-released with the same re-mastering and packaging on CD....

Only 6 of my SA-CDs are not hybrids. The rest will play on any CD player (in CD sound obviously). Hybrid discs (those that play on CD and SA-CD players) are the way to go.

Neil

Anton Bruckner: Symphony #9 (Vienna Philharmonic, Harnoncourt)

Jerry Goldsmith: The Great Train Robbery

The Rolling Stones: Between the Buttons

The Rolling Stones: Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out

The Rolling Stones: Flowers

The Rolling Stones: Their Satanic Majesties Request

Dmitri Shostakovich: Hamlet

Marian - who does not own an SACD player.

E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial Soundtrack

- that I play on my 5 year old Sony DVD player.

Apparently, that SCD-CE595 unit sounds quite nice after being modded by Tube Research Labs...

Norah Jones - Come Fly Away With Me

Pink Floyd - Dark Side Of The Moon

Steely Dan - Gaucho

Mike Oldfield - Tubular Bells

Getz/Gilberto

Stravinsky - The Rite Of Spring - Telarc

Shostakovich - Violin Concerto N°. 1 - Lady Macbeth of Mtsensk - Cappriccio

Sibelius/Sinding - Violin Concerto - Naxos

Ravel - Daphnis et Chloe - RCA Living Stereo Series

Jerry Goldsmith - Chistus Apollo - Telarc

Toru Takemitsu - How Slow The Wind - BIS

Gustav Holst - The Planets - Hyperion

John Williams - Yo-Yo Ma Plays The Music Of - Sony Classical

Richard Rodney Bennet - Sea Change - Collegium Records

Arnold Schonberg - Verklarte Nacht/Kammersymphonie - Farao Classics

Ravel - Daphnis et Chloe - RCA Living Stereo Series

Was this a good recommendation?

Amazing recording, especially for its time. It's not flawless but I don't think the atmosphere can be improved. Thank you for this recommendation, Neil.

----------------

Alex Cremers

And what does it mean technologically when I own a Super Audio Compact Disc ?

It's a true high fidelity format, in a way the CD can never hope to be.

Neil

I've got the hybrid Timeline and Great Train Robbery, and by mistake got A Beautiful Mind. All I need now is a player, and time to listen to music at home.....

Speaking of The Planets...

Can anyone tell me where I can buy an LSO Recording of Holst's The Planets suite.. I only have a recording of a really crummy amateurish orchestra playing it who take it at about half speed LOL :P

Bad conductor too >_<

I was precisely waiting for my SACD player to arrive (tomorrow? Thursday?) to post on the suject.

It's a 5.1 Home Cinema - SACD set: SONY DAV-DZ300.

I'll install it in my room, where I work, primarily to play music (rather than DVD's); I guess I should be able to plug the player into my laptop's numerous input ports to feed the video onto the screen to watch DVD's.

I've only had a simple yet efficient boombox since '92, and I've wanted to change it for some time. I also wanted something to play my few SACD discs; since this set includes the speakers for a reasonable price, it was perfect for me-- it's hardly more expensive than audio sets or even some boomboxes.

As for SACD discs, I have:

The Great Train Robbery

Timeline

T2

Sadly, I can't find the SACD edition of The Film Music of Jerry Goldsmith at Intrada's / SAE's ; is it out of print? I should have bought the SACD of this one, and of Nemesis, but I didn't think I could have such a player for years and year, and I was ill-advised. :P

And I wasn't aware of that SACD E.T. either! Darn, I'll have to get it: in case you've missed the 300 billion times I've stated it before, E.T. was my first score album (LP) ever, so it's even more special to me. One thing I deeply regret is the loss of "Flying" on the successive anniversary editions.

I should also get the 5.1 / DVD-Audio editions of such things as A.I. and The Adventures of Mark Twain.

Have you ordered from this site you linked to, Neil, or was it just more convenient for reference?

Hey, they carry The Film Music of Jerry Goldsmith!

obet0001a.gif

Can anyone tell me where I can buy an LSO Recording of Holst's The Planets suite.. I only have a recording of a really crummy amateurish orchestra playing it who take it at about half speed LOL :P

Bad conductor too >_<

Sir Adrian Boult's version (one of the classics I believe) might be with the LSO - I'm not sure, I haven't heard it. It should be available from EMI, at budget or mid price, I'd expect.

Marian - who recommends the Dutoit on Decca.

Well, it's the LPO, not the LSO. Still a good one I expect (Gramophone's choice Planets). The LSO Enigma recording it's coupled with is excellent, assuming it's the same I have (1971 recording).

Marian - :P

I got it today!

Sweeeeeeeet...

As I said, I'm seting it up in my room, to listen to music while working.

However, I did take everything into the living room this evening to hook it up to the TV and watch some selected scenes from a few DVD's.

The only problem is that my choice was very limited because I forgot to ask the guy to make it region-free I'll have to return tomoroww so he can do it. I mostly have R1 DVD's, and pretty few R2s.

I tried in particular with E.T. (overture, flying over the moon) and Jurassic Park (arrival, T-Rex night scene). It was awesome.

The speakers are small, but powerful (133W each, 800W total).

I'll have to buy some cable for my room-- I can set it up running the cables in a straight line, but a dangling web of wires isn't exactly pretty nor practical.

I'll use the original cables in the living room, so that, once in a while, I can just unplug everything, carry the player and speakers, and watch a movie in full 5.1.. Once you've gotten a taste of it once, it's hard to imagine not doing it again.

One little shadow--

I have all sorts of inputs & outputs on my laptop. I have two peritel cables (is that the English name as well? not sure; roughly rectangular 17-pin plugs) with whatever-you-call-them at the other end (L/R & Video inputs).

I plugged this into the laptop, turned on the VAIO Zone, set it to "External"-- and got nothing. Apparently, according to the help feature, the "External" channel is for VAIO inputs, from another VAIO computer from instance.

Darn! I have all the right hardware, but I'm missing the software (or a clue?) to watch input video signals! This would be very handy, and allow me to wathc a DVD in my room, or simply navigate through the menus of a DVD to play an isolated core track (or view the player's menu options, for that matter).

Any idea?

A few more details that might help you help me.

The other "Component Video Out" outputs I have on the DVD-SACD player are labeled

Y PB / CB PR / CR

("B" and "R" are block letters but in a smaller font, kind of in subscript).

As for the Video input on the laptop, I have

Video and S-Video.

I haven't tried getting an input using Adobe Premiere, which is installed. I'll have to try it.

Incidentally, now the player is region-free, I've tried a few more DVDs: T2 (first confrontation, rain drain chase), The Village (main titles, a few scenes), Finding Nemo, Fantasia 2000; later this evening I'll try with The Lord of the Rings, Sleepy Hollow, ...

Olivier,

First, some questions:

Can your laptop play DVDs?

What is the Scart RVB I saw listed as a feature?

Is the DAV-DZ300's component out the the only video output? Is there an S-video out?

If so, did your Premiere attempt work? I assume you tried to do a real-time analog capture or preview from the DAV-DZ300. I would think there would be some kind of copy-protection using any video out from the DAV-DZ300. The component video out cannot be used with your laptop without an expensive adapter.

If S-video out exists on the DAV-DZ300, you might need a particular program or driver for you laptop to make it work.. Try the official manafacturer's website, then the good ol' WWW .... Google / other forums.

To be honest, I've never attempted a project like this, but good luck.

Reply back and I'll try to help further,

Matt

Can your laptop play DVDs?

It can, and I made it region-free first thing after checking everything worked right. The funny thing is that at first I thought it was somehow region-free already, through some glitch at the factory maaybe, because I had inadvertently picked an R1 DVD to try the DVD player. It turned out that, out of several dozens, I must have picked the only R1 DVD that was actually not Region-encoded-- it's Gremlins.

What is the Scart RVB I saw listed as a feature?

Sorry, what's "Scart" ?

For reference, here's the link to DAV-DZ300 player again.

Is the DAV-DZ300's component out the the only video output?  Is there an S-video out?

There are apparently two kinds of outputs, possibly three. It's my first really hi-tech player, so I don't know-- the DVD player I've had since 2000 doens't have all those outputs-- well, I don't think it does; anyway, I couldn't have used them.

The first kind is a Peritel output, but I guess that's the French name only, not even European. The player's manual doesn't have an English section, so I can't check the English name. However, the output is labeled in English, and it reads "EURO AV" "(OUTPUT (TO TV)"; it's a 17-inch, rectangular plug (except for one end that's indented, like an arrow pointing inside the rectangle).

Here's an image showing such an output, from a previous model; you can see it even better on this other picture, from a much more expensive model.

The other output(s) I saw is the one described in my previous message; I can't find the same outputs on the other models presented on that store's site; odd. Let's try and describe it more precisely.

3 round outputs, like "regular Video outputs".

One (green) is labeled "Y".

The next one (blue) is labeled "PB / CB" (capital "B"s in subscript).

The last one (red) is labeled "PR / CR" (capital "R"s in subscript).

Right above the first two, there's a box saying "Component Video Out";

next to this, above the third output (PR/CR), is "DVD Only".

No S-Video Out-- pity, as I do have an S-Video In on the laptop.

If so, did your Premiere attempt work? I assume you tried to do a real-time analog capture or preview from the DAV-DZ300. I would think there would be some kind of copy-protection using any video out from the DAV-DZ300. The component video out cannot be used with your laptop without an expensive adapter.

Nothing. It seems to be for digital inputs only-- or I couldn't figure it out right.

If S-video out exists on the DAV-DZ300, you might need a particular program or driver for you laptop to make it work.. Try the official manafacturer's website, then the good ol' WWW .... Google / other forums.

I've left a message on two other forums; yours is the only reply-- well, someone did ask me why i did use my laptop's DVD player. :(

Now, this evening, just before coming here, I took out my (well, my mother's) "old" video tape camcorder, and hooked it up to the laptop, using the good old "Video OUT" / "Video IN", started VAIO Zone's TV, picked the "External Video" channel, and-- presto! it worked!

Conclusion: it seems I should be able to view my DAV-DZ300's images on the laptop's screen (through VAIO Zone's TV) if I can find a video cable with a "regular Video input" (or "S-Video input") at one end, and one or all three of those Video Outputs (Y, PB/CB, PR/CR).

Incidentally, I also tried the same cable to feed the laptop's Audio through the DAV-DZ300 into its speakers, and it worked. I've never been able to do that before, as I never had the right outputs nor inputs.

I think I'll inquire about those cable tomorrow morning-- in a few hours, that is.

I'll let you know.

I'm sure it's just a matter of cable, and that it will work.

;)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

- Neil -

My apologies for this digression in your thread, Neil.

Are you satisfied of the classical music, Herrmann and Rozsa SA-CDs that you have?

Are they good performances?

The Herrmann disc is very good. I'm not sure it benefits from being an SA-CD since it's a 1990's digital recording.

The Rozsa disc is also very good. Much better than other recent Kunzel discs.

Neil

The Salonen Herrmann album is excellent indeed. I only have a faulty CDR of the CD version so far (have yet to replace it with an original), but for a CD the sound is great.

Marian - :angry:

Thanks, Neil & Marian! I trust your opinion

-------------------------------------------------------

(Last installment of my topic-related digression, I think. I hope it can be useful to others)

Matt,

I know now that what you call Scart is the output I described, called Peritel in France

I went to a store this afternoon, and the clerk was quite competent, and I learned something, which was the very silly core of my problem: while the player's Scart plug is bidirectional, ie can act as both input / output, the cable is necessarily unidirectional.

The one I made my first test with was an input cable. So I got an RCA Video cord, and a Scart adaptor (for both RCA & S-Video), which can be commuted to either input or output. Now it works fine, and I can send the DAV-DZ300's video to the laptop's screen. :angry:

While I was there, I also bought a longer RCA Audio cord, to output the laptop's audio through the DAV-DZ300 to its speakers (2 or 4, the surround ones mirroring the front).

Since it turns out the DVD-/+R formats the DAV-DZ300 can read are video only, and not data, I won't be able to play DVD score compilations on it. But with this cord, I can play such compilations on my laptop (which can burn on all DVD formats) and feed the audio to the surround speakers. This way, I will be able to copy onto one disc such two-CD albums as Star Wars. :)

One last "little" annoying thing I had not thought of (again): while the laptop & DAV-DZ300 are region-free, I have a format conflict between NTSC & PAL. I couldn't see anything with a NTSC (ie, R1 disc)-- which is mostly what I have.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaargh! Those region specificities will kill me!

Either the laptop's replicator can only get PAL inputs, or VAIO Zone's TV software can only accept PAL signals. I can't find such specifications on the, uh, specifications sheet.

-------------------------------------------------------

:)

Region codes have nothing to do with the NTSC/PAL format.

Right. Bad phrasing.

Technical specificities-- regions, formatsd (DVD-RW / DVD+RW, ..., blue ray / HDVD, ...), ...

Pink Floyd - Dark Side Of The Moon

There's my SACD collection...

*waits anxiously for the 'Wish You Were Here' SACD*

I WISH I had a SACD-compatable player, any recommendations?

I WISH I had a SACD-compatable player, any recommendations?

The player I own, the Sony SCD-CE595, represents the best value in hi-fi that I know of. It's $150 and can play SA-CDs. It sounds better than any CD only player I know of regardless of price. At this point, I can't even imagine buying a machine that doesn't play SA-CDs.

Neil