Post Your SA-CD Collection!

Lurker

By god! A changer?! How does this model compare with real players? Any tests?

First you'd have to explain what a "real player" is without being condescending.

Neil

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

By god! A changer?! How does this model compare with real players? Any tests?

First you'd have to explain what a "real player" is without being condescending.

Neil

Without being condescending?! Look who's talking! You are quite a number these days,"Mr. Mac".

I didn't think you could.

That being said, my dad has bought three of these players on my recommendation as has a board member here.

I have no hesitation in proclaiming the products I use superior to others. I'm a tough critic, and if I like something, I really like it, study it, learn about the competition and then make an informed choice. When I tell you this player is wonderful (and it isn't my first SA-CD player) then you can be assured it is.

Neil

Alex, if Neil's dad approved of the device then it's alright.

He's a stuffy anal audiophile just like yourself.

And here I was trying to be polite about it. ;)

Neil

Ali B.? Is he still alive?

And here I was happy the guy had fallen back into obscurity.

- Marc

;) John Debney - The Battle/To Dawg's Ship/Morgan Battles Dawg/Dawg's Demise/The Triumph from CutThroat Island

I didn't think you could.

I didn't even try. I was too busy noticing how someone who's always so arrogant about his computers does not allow for someone else to make slightly teasing remarks about a cheap changer. Considering the price tag, I'm quite sure your machine's performance is adequate, but I hardly think it's a major player. I'm just surprised that Neil, the critical son of an audiophile, spends more money on that iPod that's hanging around his neck than on a SA-CD player. Is that really so odd?

... my dad has bought three of these players on my recommendation as has a board member here.

Wow, it seems that you truly discovered something quite extraordinary! What is your dad, the audiophile, doing with 3 cheap changers? You got to admit, the concept of changers isn't exactly popular in Hi-Fi world. Surely, you must understand the reason why I'm playfully mocking it. Tell me, how did you study it? It's a fairly new machine (no reputation) and it's in the lowest price range. I see nothing "audiophilic" about it. I can't find any audiophile tests either. How did you come to the conclusion that it is superior to the "competition"? How well were you informed, Neil?

When I tell you this player is wonderful (and it isn't my first SA-CD player) then you can be assured it is.

What makes you so pretentious? I'm curious.

I have a good set of ears and I don't fall for the myths of the audio world.

And besides, I said it represented a great value. I didn't say it was the finest ever. I'll also go on to say that I would never consider buying another CD player that doesn't do SA-CD, regardless of the cost. And I think the very expensive CD players that do not play SA-CD represent the greatest rip off in audio right now, on par with the whole high-end cable industry.

Neil

What makes you so pretentious? I'm curious.

HAHAHAHAHA!

I might ask the same of you.

And I think the very expensive CD players that do not play SA-CD represent the greatest rip off in audio right now, on par with the whole high-end cable industry.

Neil

Wait a minute, so I bought those half inch thick copper wires with solid gold connectors for nothing???

Well the gold tips won't corrode, so that's an advantage there, but as for better sound..... ;)

Non-corrodible connections are always better.

So Neil, high-end-cable companies are in business to rip people off? Their R&D is worthless? What about minimizing noise, electromagnetic interference, and distortion? I welcome velocity propagation, bandwidth balancing, and signal shielding in my cables. Maximum physical connection contact between components is a good thing - if you want better sound. It’s a fact that high-end cable improves music reproduction. Whether you can notice the subtleties or not… well that’s up to you and your ears.

You need more than just a good disc player to get the most out of your music. High-end (or at least above-average) everything is important: the receiver, speakers, audio cables, and speaker cable. Having a weak link is detrimental to the whole system.

I have good ears, and I’m critical about the way I listen to music. For my personal set-up, I use Monster Cable. What do you use?

Matt

For my personal set-up, I use Monster Cable.  What do you use?

Whatever came in the box, though occasionally I'll splurge on the gold tipped connectors, for the above stated corrosion issue. Otherwise, I'm not convinced that wires make a difference. Are your speakers internally wired with Monster Cable? What's inside your electronics? A good solid electrical connection is all you need. Any competent wire that can consistently pass a signal is all you need.

Neil

I firmly believe that good equipment warrants good cables and wire to connect them. A higher gauge speaker wire certainly makes a difference in the sound - the difference is obvious. High-end cables are just more reliable and will last longer - and a lifetime warranty to fall back is a nice bonus (if something should happen to the cable). As for the hardware I use, I trust certain brand names (Yamaha, Pioneer, JBL), and my ears do the testing after I've bought the stuff. The technical specs. are nice to know, but it's the sound that matters. I had a low-end Kenwood receiver before the Yamaha I have now. The improvement after the upgrade is night-and-day. Only now are my speakers being used to their full potential.

mattmane, who owns plenty of SA-CD and DVD-A titles and will post them soon

For my personal set-up, I use Monster Cable.  What do you use?

Whatever came in the box, though occasionally I'll splurge on the gold tipped connectors, for the above stated corrosion issue. Otherwise, I'm not convinced that wires make a difference. Are your speakers internally wired with Monster Cable? What's inside your electronics? A good solid electrical connection is all you need. Any competent wire that can consistently pass a signal is all you need.

Neil

On real speakers the difference is immense, Neil, especially with speaker cable.

----------------

Alex Cremers

On real speakers the difference is immense, Neil, especially with speaker cable.

Well you've already established that I don't have a "real" SA-CD player, so why should my loudspeakers be any more valid?

Neil

I don't know about it, and I don't know if it's true, but as a general rule, CD changers are assumed to be inferior in sound quality to single CD players.

Marian - who would like a SACD player but can't afford one.

:) Fitzwilly

Hmm. Very good answer.

The best you deserve.

Neil

Now you sound bitter again. Why are you so bitter, Neil? Doesn't the changer bring you happiness? Stefancos seems happy with it.

I don't like the idea of a CD player being a juke-box. It's not how I relate to music. Also, you won't find any hi-end changers, so their DACs are always going to be inferior. Other than that, I really don't like the aesthetics.

----------------

Alex Cremers

What's wrong with the aesthetics? I also like putting in my CDs manually after having taken them out of their case, but I'd still like a changer, if only for those 2, 3 and 4 CDs sets... I actually sometimes stop listening in the middle of a symphony because I'm too lazy to get up and put in the second disc, and by the time I do get up I feel like playing something completely different.

Marian - who doesn't know what to play next.

Also, you won't find any hi-end changers

McIntosh

And why would a larger transport mechanism degrade the DAC? Alex, it sounds to me like you are falling for the myths of the audio world.

Neil