Post Your SA-CD Collection!

Lurker

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 6 months later...

To all SACD fans,

I just felt I should report to you that this SACD of Copland and Grofé sounds ridiculously good (and it's cheap too!). I can't believe this is recorded in the 50s! Simply astonishing!

CRCA-67904-SA.jpg

I don't like the idea of a CD player being a juke-box. It's not how I relate to music. Also, you won't find any hi-end changers, so their DACs are always going to be inferior. Other than that, I really don't like the aesthetics.

----------------

Alex Cremers

IMO, I think there are better arguments, but I'm not sure.

It seems to me that once a company start building changers, they surely must spend time and money on it. In other words, research costs come into picture.

Anytime any part that is being created not specifically for the sound and quality of the player and its music production, will make the machine more expensive, or make the music quality cheaper to push down the cost for the consumer.

Therefore the same price you pay for a regular player with no 'fancy' stuff is more likely to have better engineering than one of with all kinds of 'gadgets'.

Changers are not vital parts for the player, and so effort is being 'wasted' that should have gone into the beauty of the sound.

It's like my stone-old argument about the choice between 2-stereo or 5-surround speakers. For the same price less speaker equals more sound.

This of course is just an assumption. Maybe there are other things at work. But right now this seem to make much sense to me.

BTW, about these speaker cable issues. I think the importance of cable quality could be inherent to the kind of speakers you have. If you have electrostatic speakers than the cables could perhaps be of lesser importance. Once again a quick assumption.

PS: I have the E.T. and Yo Yo Ma SACD's.

Hmm, just noticed this was an old thread.

Anyway, SACD could be winding down to a complete halt.

Too little is being made, too little promotion, and not enough interest in general. Sony I believe has already pulled back.

It would be a shame, but once again the mundane majority could kill off something better.

I have a few SACD's

Timeline

The Great Train Robbery

Yo-Yo-Ma Plays The Music Of John Williams

I'm not completely sold yet.

I do have a few DVD-A which sound a little better to my ears.

Robin Hood

A.I.

The Police-Every Breath You Take

Hmm, just noticed this was an old thread.

Anyway, SACD could be winding down to a complete halt.

Too little is being made, too little promotion, and not enough interest in general. Sony I believe has already pulled back.

It would be a shame, but once again the mundane majority could kill off something better.

Still lots of classical releases though. This makes sense for these people care about sound.

Recieved this item this week;

SON-M89670LG.jpg

Hey, how is this? I have the regular release and honestly wasn't even aware they pressed a SACD version. It's pretty cheap at CDUniverse, so I'm interested in getting it but I was curious how the 5.1 mix is...

Tim

I generally do not listen to 5.1 mixes on my SACD's because my surround speakers are fairly average in quality (find for DVD though)

I rather pump the music full force through my 2 high end speakers.

The stereo in this SACD is very good.

Nice, Stefancos, but high end they are not. This is still "regular" Hi-Fi stuff for the common consumer. I'm afraid we're not the kind of people who really can afford high end brands.