More Indy rumors

QMM

An interesting rumor hit the Internet this week by way of an anonymous scooper at AICN. The informant, claiming to work for a major computer game studio, said that his company would be developing several Young Indiana Jones-themed games for LucasArts – timed to coincide with the release of a Young Indiana Jones movie in 2007. These games would bet set in the years 1916 to 1919 and feature the dashing archaeologist-to-be as portrayed in the "Young Indiana Jones" television series.

It's a curious report. Could Lucas have a secret Young Indy motion picture in the works? More likely, the scooper was given slightly inaccurate information, and the new games are going to tie in to Indiana Jones IV, Harrison Ford's last outing as Dr. Jones. That being the case, it's the first real scheduling news to come from LucasFilm, however indirectly.

On the other hand, why not focus on grown-up Indiana Jones games instead of young Indy? One possibility suggested by fans at the aforementioned website is that the games might instead tie into the upcoming release of "Young Indiana Jones" on DVD. However, that set is probably going to be hitting store shelves around the time of the Indy 4 release (source: TV Shows on DVD.com), and it's the movie that Indy fans will be paying most of their attention to. The release of a TV show on DVD is not a particularly momentous event in any case, but with "Indiana Jones" on everyone's lips, 2007 might be a good time to release games based on both the grown-up adventurer and his younger self.

There's also still a chance that the "Young Indiana Jones" DVD set will be released sooner, perhaps around Christmas, 2006. At any rate, we'll be watching in case word of a new Young Indy project slips out, however unlikely that may be.

http://filmforce.ign.com/articles/638/638049p1.html

Max

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:?

Morlock- who enjoyed some of the series, but not that much (loved the theme though. Thought it was perfect for a young Indy)

Morlock 2- who would have liked to have used a one eyebrow raised smily, and was surprised to learn there was none on JWFan

LucasArts is developing an Indy game for 2007 (in-house!) set in the "classic" period of the late 'thirties. It will tie into the late 'forties film, however (also slated for 2007). The script is finally nearing approval, so Spielberg will shoot the film after Munich. Hmmmmm, I am looking forward to this score. The film, not so much.

Just when you think things'll calm down in the "Lucas raped my childhood and then pooped on it" section what with the prequels being over and all, here comes Indy 4. Of course, if by some miraculous cosmic allignment it turns out to be good after all, all praise will go to Spielberg I bet.

I hope with all my heart that this will at least finally bring out the long-long-long-long-long-awaited release of the complete ToD and LC scores (and a full Raiders while we're at it). That would at least be worth it.

- Marc

I hope with all my heart that this will at least finally bring out the long-long-long-long-long-awaited release of the complete ToD and LC scores (and a full Raiders while we're at it). That would at least be worth it.

I'm watching TOD right now and with the 5.1 DVD...you hear more of the music. And everything that you now hear for the first time is really good. Even the quiet underscore! Like I noticed during the part where Mola Rom is force-feeding Indy the poison, there's a bassoon solo that sounds pretty similar to Boba Fett's theme in TESB.

Another thing I noticed is that the score really isn't butchered a lot. In a lot of Spielberg films, music's recycled for several scenes. It happened a lot in Minority Report, CE3K, Jurassic Park. It didn't happen once in any of the Indy films. In TOD, not too many of the cues sound like they've been cut at all.

I'm starting to develop a theory. JW's sequel scores to 70s/80s movies are always better than the originals. TESB was better than ANH. TOD is better than Raiders. Had Donner directed Superman II and had Williams been hired again...think of the possibilities...

I'm starting to develop a theory.  JW's sequel scores to 70s/80s movies are always better than the originals.  TESB was better than ANH.  TOD is better than Raiders.  Had Donner directed Superman II and had Williams been hired again...think of the possibilities...

Except wouldn't TOD technically be a prequel score?

I'm starting to develop a theory. JW's sequel scores to 70s/80s movies are always better than the originals. TESB was better than ANH. TOD is better than Raiders. Had Donner directed Superman II and had Williams been hired again...think of the possibilities...

My theory is that sequel scores are generally worse.

Another thing I noticed is that the score really isn't butchered a lot. In a lot of Spielberg films, music's recycled for several scenes. It happened a lot in Minority Report, CE3K, Jurassic Park. It didn't happen once in any of the Indy films. In TOD, not too many of the cues sound like they've been cut at all.

I have to disagree. Granted Raiders contains some of the least amount of post-music editing, but the sequels are loaded with it.

In TOD, several cues are pasted together and if you listen closely, you can hear all kinds of edits, espeicially during the "Underground Heroics" sequence.

In LC, you've got cues like "The Portuguese Coast," "Belly of the Steel Beast," and "The Pen Is Mightier," which are cut around and looped. Then parts of cues that just weren't used at all, such as sections of "No Ticket," "Biplane Escape," "First Flight Out of Germany," and "The Birds of Charlemagne."

The end credits music for both films is cut around as well.

So don't be fooled; the Indy films (or the sequels I should say) have all kinds of edits and splices.

http://filmforce.ign.com/articles/638/638797p1.html

More good news is trickling in that should squelch doubts that one more Indiana Jones adventure could find its footing.

SKNR is reporting that "the ball is rolling" (perhaps that same one that chased Indiana in Raiders), and that contract negotiations with all the important people – Lucas, Spielberg, and Ford – are in progress. A certain amount of bargaining is to be expected – the lucrative arrangements that those three ultimately agree to will most likely include a share of the box office and DVD profits.

It is still believed that Sean Connery is not involved in the project at this point.

The Indy Experience adds more details from another source: Lucas and screenwriter Jeff Nathanson should have the current script – which is by and large approved already – tweaked and production-ready by fall; and Spielberg is scheduling Indiana Jones IV to be his next project once Munich is done.

The site hears that February 2007 is the projected release date – a somewhat odd month to choose (Passion of the Christ is the only major blockbuster to ever have opened in February). SKNR suggests Summer 2007 as a more likely window for the next Indiana Jones.

It is still believed that Sean Connery is not involved in the project at this point.

Yeah, I think that's kind of obvious, seeing how he just anounced his retirement from film, and wasn't very complementary about Spielberg....

According to a local paper-

Director Steven Spielberg paid tribute to Connery's status when he said: "There are only seven genuine movie stars in the world today, and Sean is one of them." But Connery says in the interview that is only because he demands so much money.

He's been known to do that. For Diamonds are Forever, he became the highest paid actor up to that time and donated it all to his charity. But look at him, he's 74 years old and looks like he hasn't had a financial worry in over 40 years. That's the secret to why he is still good looking, so I don't think he donates all of it. :angry:

Neil

Latest Indy Rumoryes I am recycling this, but the way the boards been lately who cares

Indy will be taken aboard a space craft at the end, effectively ending the series

except

Spielberg plans to rework Close Encounters of the Third Kind so that Indy is one of those who gets off the ship at the end.

Latest Indy Rumoryes I am recycling this' date=' but the way the boards been lately who cares[/color']

The question is, what is mahnamahnah.