Best Potter-score

Willy

The best Potter-score?  

42 members have voted

1. 1.

• The Philosopher's Stone (The Sorcerer's Stone)
    • The Chamber of Secrets
    • The Prisoner of Azkaban

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In my humble opinion (not that anyone pays attention to my opinions anymore), the best Potter score has yet to be written...maybe by someone other than John Williams? Perhaps Philip Glass and his synthesizers???

First one. it and the third one are just as good, but the first one gets extra points for achieving what it did, which is the creation of rich and full musical world.

Philosopher's Stone may be Williams' last true masterpiece.

Neil

As much as I'd hate to see this come to pass, I think you're absolutely right.

He needs other relatively lightheardted fantasy or semi-fantasy movies to score. But ya, now I'm more sure.. PS is the winner. Masterpiece.

Sorcerer's Stone was an imaginative score that perfectly complimented the imaginative visuals, imaginative casting and imaginative screenplay.

I'll add to Neil's statement and say the main theme will probably be William's last great theme.

Though he has come close since.

the advantage that SS has over POA is that POA exists on the coattails of SS, so its the better of the two scores, though as far as I'm concerned, all three have their moment, and COS definately has two of the great musical bits.

In my humble opinion (not that anyone pays attention to my opinions anymore), the best Potter score has yet to be written...maybe by someone other than John Williams?  Perhaps Philip Glass and his synthesizers???

Have you ever acctually written a post that contributes to a thread in any relative way?

Then again, have any of us?

...God, I want to die.

Justin

P.S. Prisoner of Azkaban! :P

I always fluctuate between the overall cohesiveness and thematic bliss of SS, and the freshness and complexity of PoA.  So I don't know.

Ray Barnsbury

Truth has been spoken.

To be perfectly honest, I find SS to be somewhat overrated. By all means Hedwig's Theme is the finest composition by williams in the last 10 years (Save perhaps DOTF), but as a whole I find PoA to be by far the more listenable score. A lot of SS just seems uninspired. Can anyone here really say that Hogwarts Forever is one of their favorite cues? A lot of the score just seems...a little boring. Not to say that it isn't a great score. It still is but I find it to be really overated, round these parts.

In all honesty I think an album to album comparison will find these scores are very very close. In their respective films however, CoS sinks far far down. SS really isn't a whole lot better. There is so much wasted time where williams just burbles around the speakers with a celeste or a clarinet. In PoA, it just seems like Williams was ON when he wrote the score to the film. Every moment fits I can't think of a single cringe moment in PoA. I'm sure others will see it diffrently but I can't really see it any other way.

Justin

To be perfectly honest, I find SS to be somewhat overrated. ... A lot of SS just seems uninspired.  A lot of the score just seems...a little boring.

What??!? I certainly don't find "The Quidditch Match," "The Chess Game," "The Face of Voldemort," "Mr. Longbottom Flies," "Entry into the Great Hall," "The Entrance of Baby Harry," ... hell, none of it is boring. Except maybe track 10.

Can anyone here really say that Hogwarts Forever is one of their favorite cues?

No, but I love the theme. And I wish Williams had used it more in the film.

I will say that POA is a good score, perfect for the darker film. But I often pick which of the two I'm going to listen to in my car. I usually pick Sorcerer's Stone.

Both are wonderful for their movies. From a musical point of view I'll give a slight edge to PoA - seems to be more my tastes.

- Adam

I can't choose betewwn HHPS and HPPoA,and CoS has several great cues.

k.M.

Why even bother posting. :)

I will easily say Philosopher's Stone, which created the main theme and has more of my favorite themes (family/friends theme, which is grossly under-presented on the disc, nimbus.). I also feel it is just a tighter score.

Tim

Like some people pointed out, the first soundtrack introduced the basic themes, which are great, but I find the first half of the album quite boring.

The third album features great themes as well, but also a lot of atonal tracks, which I'm less fond of.

The second album however expands on the themes of the first album and adds a few which are equally great. On top of that there are only one or two tracks which I don't find interesting. So I find myself listening to the soundtrack of COS the most - hence my vote.

Philosopher's Stone; the music perfectly captured the mood of the book - it set the musical style for the entire wizarding world, and for the films that followed. In addition to the music perfectly capturing thr mood of the book, it's just beautiful music. I find myself listening to this Potter score the most.

Hmm, this surely hasn't been discussed before.

I'm pretty sure I started this very thread with a poll after the POA score came out. Oh well, enough time has passed by for people to vote again without POA getting the unfair advantage of being fresh and new. I went for Philorcerer's Stone just because it was a towering achievement for a single film to create such a vivid harmonic and melodic world that the entire world associates with Harry Potter and magic. As Neil said, this could be Williams' last truly great score.

Azkaban is very much my favorite, too bad the album is so awful.

It suffers from the exact same problems as the RotS album.Great cues left out like Rescuing Sirius in favor of 10 minutes of rehashed material,and stupid "micro edits"removing great parts of cues(like that 13 second segment in Mischief Managed at the 0.35 mark)

k.M.