Post Your Herrmann Collection....

Orson

His haunting melodies have him second on my list of favorites.

Cape Fear

Citizen Kane

The Day The Earth Stood Still

The Ghost and Mrs Muir

Jane Eyre

Journey to the Center of the Earth

North By Northwest

Psycho

The Snows of Kilimanjaro/ 5 Fingers

Taxi Driver

Vertigo

Does anyone know if there was ever a release of The Man Who Knew Too Much?

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Psycho (original soundtrack)

Psyho (1998 remake version Danny Elfman/Steve Bartek)

Alfred Hitchcock's Film Music Psycho/North By Northwest (re-recording)

The Marvelous Film World of Bernard Herrmann (Tsunami release)

Citizen Kane Film Music Of Bernard Herrmann

Cape Fear (1991 Elmer Bernstein adaptation)

Citizen Kane - The Classic Film Scores of Bernard Herrmann (Gerhardt -NPO)

Bernard Herrmann The Film Scores (Salonen re-recording.)

Scores:

Cape Fear (Bernstein adaption)

Citizen Kane (McNeely)

The Egyptian (Morgan/Stromberg)

The Ghost of Mrs Muir

Jason and the Argonauts (Broughton)

Marnie (McNeely)

North by Northwest

Psycho (McNeely)

Taxi Driver

The 7th Voyage of Sinbad (Debney)

Vertigo (OST)

Compilations:

Hitchcock - Master of Mayhem (Schifrin)

Music from Great Film Classics (Herrmann/Decca)

Great Film Music (Herrmann/Decca)

Citizen Kane - The Classic Film Scores of Bernard Herrmann (Gerhardt)

The Film Scores (Salonen)

Marian - who unfortunately has some of these only as faulty CDRs.

Steef:

Is the Elfman version any good? I've never actually seen the remake but thought about picking it up before and just never got around to it.

Marian:

I have The Egyptian on my wish list at Amazon... do you recommend it?

Steef:

Is the Elfman version any good? I've never actually seen the remake but thought about picking it up before and just never got around to it.  

I think it's outstanding, very close to the original soundtrack of which only a mono bootleg survives, with very good soundquality capturing the bleakness better then most "concertized" re-recordings do.

Marian:

I have The Egyptian on my wish list at Amazon... do you recommend it?

To tell the truth, I don't like it. I should re-evaluate it someday, but so far I've always found it nothing but boring. Others love it though, so perhaps there's something about it I haven't yet discovered.

Marian - who considers it both his least favourite Herrmann and Newman score for now.

I think it's outstanding, very close to the original soundtrack of which only a mono bootleg survives, with very good soundquality capturing the bleakness better then most "concertized" re-recordings do.

I just checked the track listings and there are only three tracks from him on that score? Only Prelude, Murder and Finale?

That listen is incorrect, this is the tracklist:

Intro/Logos 0:43

Marion And Sam 1:21

Prelude 1:54

Temptation 1:49

The 1st Floor 1:55

The Bedroom 1:06

The Car 0:37

The Cellar Pt. 1 1:09

The City 1:35

The Clean Up 1:40

The Curtain 1:03

The Discovery 0:39

The Finale 1:23

The Hill 0:52

The Knife 0:24

The Murder 1:07

The Peephole 3:07

The Rainstorm 2:54

The Search 0:32

The Search B 1:31

The Stairs 2:17

The Swamp 1:44

To tell the truth, I don't like it. I should re-evaluate it someday, but so far I've always found it nothing but boring. Others love it though, so perhaps there's something about it I haven't yet discovered.

Marian - who considers it both his least favourite Herrmann and Newman score for now.

Thanks for the insight. I believe this will be one of the last scores I get from him. There are several others I should have before thinking about this one for certain.

Thanks Steef... I found the right one. When I first searched for it the other soundtrack was the only version showing. Had to click on the "other related" options. Used copies of it aren't cheap. Perhaps that will be a Halloween present.

Be sure to get The Birds, it's fantatic.

Huh?? Thought there was no score.

A boot of it surfaced a few years ago, paired with The China Syndrome.

Neil

My Herrmann collection is sooooooo limited I was too ashamed to even think of posting in this thread when I noticed I have something you guys don't...

Compilations

Silva Screen's Citizen Kane-- The Essential Bernard Hermann Film Music Collection

great music; I just haven't come around to actually buying more scores; I also need some information on the re-recordings (Citizen Kane & The Magnificent Ambersons).

Score CDs

On Dangerous Ground

DVD Isolated Score Tracks

North by Northwest

The Twilight Zone-- The Definitive Edition (seasons 1 & 2)

I haven't copied them yet.

Non-Score

Chamber Music of Bernard Herrmann & Jerome Moross

(Albany Records, Troy 301)

My Herrmann collection is sooooooo limited I was too ashamed to even think of posting in this thread when I noticed I have something you guys don't...

If you're interested in expanding your collection through Cdr trades let me know.

The 3 Worlds of Gulliver (re-recording)

The 7th Voyage of Sinbad (re-recording)

Beneath the 12-Mile Reef

Cape Fear (original and re-make)

Citizen Kane (re-recording)

The Day the Earth Stood Still (original and re-recording)

The Egyptian

Jason and the Argonauts (re-recording)

Marnie (re-recording)

North by Northwest (original and re-recording)

Obsession

On Dangerous Ground

Psycho (original, re-recording and re-make)

Taxi Driver

Torn Curtain (two re-recordings)

The Trouble with Harry (re-recording)

The Twilight Zone (original and re-recording)

Vertigo (original and re-recording)

Compilations:

Bernard Herrmann at Fox (Volumes 1 and 2)

The Film Scores (Esa-Pekka Salonen re-recordings on CD and SA-CD)

The Classic Film Scores of Bernard Herrmann (Gerhardt)

Neil

North By Northwest

Vertigo (McNeely)

Cape Fear (Bernstein)

The Classic Film Scores of Bernard Herrmann (Gerhardt)

ttbk, who adores Hermann and needs more...

;) Patton (original recording)

If you're interested in expanding your collection through Cdr trades let me know.

That's kind of you, thanks.

I'll try and get regular CDs, first; I don't know whether any of the main Herrmann scores have become hard to find.

Thanks again, I'll remember (I hope).

Psycho - NPO - Conducted by the Composer

Cape Fear - Adapted, Arranged and Conducted by Elmer Bernstein

Bernard Herrmann Film Scores - Elmer Bernstein Conducts the RPO

Fahrenheit 451 - Joel McNeely - Seattle Symphony Orchestra

Citizen Kane - Charles Gerhardt

Some Silva Screen compilation

Sinfonietta For String Orchestra

Symphony No. 1

I sold the Bremner versions of Citizen Kane and The Magnificent Ambersons because I had problems with the performances.

---------------

Alex cremers

Fahrenheit 451 - Joel McNeely - Seattle Symphony Orchestra.

---------------

Alex cremers

Can you reccomend this one?

Stefancos- who needs to stock up on his Herrmann.

It's ridiculously good. If Hi-Fi shops knew about it they'd be selling a lot more speakers.

I should warn you, it's out of print and Amazon sellers are selling it ridiculously expensive ($70). However, I believe Varese still has a few copies left for $15.

EDIT: Oops, the $70 is for original soundtrack, not the rerecording, but somehow the sellers are using this image.

B0000081YO.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Marian - who wants McNeely's Vertigo.

I can strongly recommend it. I think it's great, not only the performance but also the recording.

It's also the only Hermann I have... :oops:

No wait, I've got the album of the Pycho-remake, which contains a few Elfman-tracks. They're great too.

All the Varese Herrmann re-recs I've heard have excellent performances and great sound. Vertigo won some award (was it the Deutsche Schallplattenpreis?), so I expect no less from it.

Marian - who also wants Fahrenheit.

:) The Adventures of Robin Hood (Korngold; Morgan/Stromberg)

The Charles Gerhardt is a must. Not many recordings sound better than this and his version of Citizen Kane is astounding. The Silva Screen sounds clownesque in comparison.

B000003EM9.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

---------------

Alex cremers

The Charles Gerhardt is a must.  Not many recordings sound better than this and his version of Citizen Kane is astounding.

Exactly the two points I've been emphasising for years.

Marian - :)

I should warn you, it's out of print and Amazon sellers are selling it ridiculously expensive ($70). However, I believe Varese still has a few copies left for $15.

EDIT: Oops, the $70 is for original soundtrack, not the rerecording, but somehow the sellers are using this image.  

B0000081YO.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Very interesting film. I didn't know he scored it and was pleasantly surprised. Do you have both the original and rerecording Alex? I checked Varese's site and I didn't see it, so I put it on my wishlist at Amazon. Doesn't look like there are many used copies left so I better grab one soon.

Very interesting film. I didn't know he scored it and was pleasantly surprised. Do you have both the original and rerecording Alex? I checked Varese's site and I didn't see it, so I put it on my wishlist at Amazon. Doesn't look like there are many used copies left so I better grab one soon.

Varese Sarabande: http://www.varesesarabande.com/details.asp...sp?pid=vsd-5551

No, Orson, I don't have the original soundtrack.

Varese Sarabande: http://www.varesesarabande.com/details.asp...sp?pid=vsd-5551

No, Orson, I don't have the original soundtrack.

Not sure how I missed it. Thanks. Think I'll head over there and get that along with Heartbeeps while they still last.

Might as well wait with that order until tomorrow, since new club titles are being announced. And get Home Alone II if you don't already have it. :)

Neil

Might as well wait with that order until tomorrow, since new club titles are being announced.  And get Home Alone II if you don't already have it.  :)

Neil

Very interesting. Can't wait to see what's announced. Unfortunately I did make the purchase. Ended up just getting Fahrenheit 451 for now. They normally announce when a particular cd is down to about 500 correct? If so, then I have some time on Heartbeeps. I've been rather crazy with soundtrack purchases lately. Picked up Earthquake as well as The Poseidon Adventure off Ebay this week in addition to my monthly purchase off of Amazon. Orson is desperately trying to make up for lost time.

In regards to Home Alone 2, I have been very curious about that. Back in Febraury I was lucky enough to find an original copy at the mall for about $10. Then I saw the 2 cd set over at Varese and wondered if I should get that as well. Do you have both editions Neil? I assume it's still worth getting either way.

Do you have both editions Neil? I assume it's still worth getting either way.

The original edition was mastered at the wrong speed! And anytime a complete and chronological Williams album comes out with full, informative liner notes, yes I'd say it's worth getting.

Neil

Do you have both editions Neil? I assume it's still worth getting either way.

The original edition was mastered at the wrong speed! And anytime a complete and chronological Williams album comes out with full, informative liner notes, yes I'd say it's worth getting.

Neil

Since used copies of it are going for $20 plus on Amazon, I may as well dump the one I have and get the Varese set.

Just added Jane Eyre, the 1994 Slovak Radio Symphony Orchestra re-recording from Marco Polo.

I'll be curious to see what your reaction will be when you hear track 6. :)