World Soundtrack Awards 2005

http://www.worldsoundtrackawards.com/

SOUNDTRACK COMPOSER OF THE YEAR

Howard Shore (“The Aviator”)

Thomas Newman (“Lemony Snicket”)

John Williams (“War of the Worlds”)

John Powell (“The Bourne Supremacy”)

Angelo Badalamenti (Un Long Dimanche de Fiançailles)

BEST ORIGINAL SOUNDTRACK OF THE YEAR

“The Aviator” (by Howard Shore)

“The Bourne Supremacy” (by John Powell)

“Batman Begins” (by Hans Zimmer / James Newton Howard)

“War of the Worlds (by John Williams)

“Mar Adento (by Alejandro Amenàbar)

BEST ORIGINAL SONG WRITTEN FOR FILM (title song, film, composer, lyricist, performer)

“Al Otro Lado del Rio” – “Motorcycle Diaries” Written and performed by Jorge Drexler

“Believe” – “The Polar Express” Music by Alan Silvestri – lyrics by Glen Ballard - performed by Josh Groban

“Old Habits Die Hard” – “Alfie” Written by Dave Stewart and Mick Jagger – performed by Mick Jagger

“Learn to be Lonely” – “The Phantom of the Opera” Music by Andrew Lloyd Webber - lyrics by Charles Hart – performed by Minnie Driver

“Million Voices” – “Hotel Rwanda” Music and lyrics by Wyclef Jean and Jerry “Wonder” Duplessis - music by Andrea Guerra - performed by Wyclef Jean

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't heard the Powell or Amenàbar, but I'm generally not a Powell friend, and judging from the only Amenàbar I know (The Others), he's fine, but it seems none of the scores listed are a match for WOTW.

Marian - who doesn't quite get the point of having best composer with their score and best scores with their composer, nor understand why the two lists differ.

Marian - who doesn't quite get the point of having best composer with their score and best scores with their composer, nor understand why the two lists differ.

I can see why the composers are listed with their score, but if you're voting a best composer, why limit it to only one score? I'd say you'd have to judge the composer's total output of the past year.

Howard Shore (“The Aviator”) :)

Thomas Newman (“Lemony Snicket”) :)

John Williams (“War of the Worlds”) :nod:

John Powell (“The Bourne Supremacy”) :eek:

Angelo Badalamenti (Un Long Dimanche de Fiançailles) who.....what......

“The Aviator” (by Howard Shore) - see above

“The Bourne Supremacy” (by John Powell) - yeah, above...

“Batman Begins” (by Hans Zimmer / James Newton Howard) - you gotta be kidding.

“War of the Worlds (by John Williams) - ;)

“Mar Adento (by Alejandro Amenàbar) - I've only heard 'The Others' and it was good but hardly groundbreaking.

I cannot believe Snicket is getting this much attention. It's a good score, but it's not Oscar-worthy, and if it wins this award over War of the Worlds, I will have lost faith in humanity; same if Batman Begins wins anything.

~Sturgis

I can see why the composers are listed with their score, but if you're voting a best composer, why limit it to only one score? I'd say you'd have to judge the composer's total output of the past year.

Then it would make sense. But nominating a composer for one score and nominating a score by one composer is...exactly the same thing. ;)

Marian - applying database mapping techniques to film score award nominations. :nod:

:) Brassed Off (Trevor Jones & Various)

What's the time frame for this award? Is it from July '04 to June '05? If that's the case, it's funny that the so-called Academy Award winning "Finding Neverland" wasn't even dropped on this one. Although, I don't really know how venerable the World Soundtrack Awards are...

There are so many other scores I would have picked. What happened to "The Village"?. You can throw a rock and hit a better score then "The Bourne Supremacy".

Tim, pulling for WotW

Aviator's stuff is great, with some touches of brilliance but not a really high contendor for score of the year...

Max-Just got back from his trip to New York

Im really rooting for War of the Worlds. It is a masterpiece. I didnt see anything special about Lemony Snickett. Batman Begins is typical Hans Zimmer. GO WILLIAMS!

Drax, I recommend it. I bought it because I adored the movie and noticed the end credits and how great the music was. Listening to the album actually made me interested in the TV show Alias which he also scores. It's now my favourite TV show. Go figure.

I cannot believe Snicket is getting this much attention.  It's a good score, but it's not Oscar-worthy, and if it wins this award over War of the Worlds, I will have lost faith in humanity; same if Batman Begins wins anything.

I find Lemony Snicket to be a much more enjoyable listen than WOTW.

WOTW had the shortest premiere listening cycle for me of just about any Williams score. with ROTS I had it in my stereo running constantly for nearly two whole months. WOTW? Maybe 2 week.

Justin - Who has still to be impressed with the themeless WOTW.

Subtle themes are definatley present in War. First of all, the trumpet duet motif can be recognized as a theme because it happens more than once in the film. You hear it first when Tom Cruise comes out of the house and sees a huge plane wreck, and second when the end credits are rolling. If you think about it, the trumpets are quite perfect to illustrate the ending of a battle or war/devastation! I think also, Ray and Rachel, while not really a theme that refers to them can be counted as a theme. As the van drives through the aftermath of the first attack, you can hear that music playing very subtly but perfect for the scene. Reminiscent of SPR.

One last thing, you really wanna talk about themes and the "average" movie goer/soundtrack listener....Lets talk about Catch Me if You can, AI. There themes are recongnizable yes, but will the person leave the theater humming it? NO! I know that Williams uses that element of familiarity but its his compositions getting more mature and developed that we hear War of the Worlds. I have to say last, this score IS a masterpiece. I cant think of ONE film composer right now who could even think up the chord progressions that would compare to "Epilogue." Aside from the rest of the score which is utterly brilliant, every other composer would say..hmm lets have the whole film score in C minor! Are there easily heard themes in atonal 20th century music? NO! But its still beautiful. Thats HIS genius.

Mar....What? :)

"Mar Adentro" is "The Sea Inside," starring Javier Bardem as a real-life paraplegic. Good movie. The score was pretty good, though there are others that were better. I would have expected them to nominate "Finding Neverland" and "The Village," but what do I know?

Mar....What? ;)

"Mar Adentro" is "The Sea Inside," starring Javier Bardem as a real-life paraplegic. Good movie. The score was pretty good, though there are others that were better. I would have expected them to nominate "Finding Neverland" and "The Village," but what do I know?

LOL I was refering to his typho!

I am Spanish, you know...

Mar....What? ;)

You mean "typo"?

;)

;)

Anyways, Justin, I actually thought that over and I agree.

WotW is more complex and probably the "better" score, but I do find Snicket to be more enjoyable. I just think it didn't deserve a nomination . . . The Village did.

~Sturgis

Is The Incredibles any good?  I saw the soundtrack for $10 in Sydney today so I'm wondering if I should get it.

Yes - it gets the most play of my non-JW scores. For a while there I listened to "The Incredits" almost constantly!

Mar....What? ;)

I didn't make that connection at first.

Batman Begins over The Village?? NOOOO......"I do not want!" :music:

Also, I wonder if they based "Soundtrack Composer of the Year" on one soundtrack of their choice? LOL JNH had quite the year compared to John Powell. JNH (and Kaczmarek actually?) got shafted.

This fairly new awards event was created with good intentions (nominated and voted on by only people in the film music industry...blah blah), but they're not going to gain any credibility in the music world with nominations like these...

Greta

The winner will be whoever is willing to appear in person to collect the award...

That's only too true, unfortunately.

but they're not going to gain any credibility in the music world with nominations like these

They already lost their credibility for me the past two years, but then again, the Oscars don't have any left either.