When is Geisha Coming Out?

tony69

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As of now the film is slated to open on December 9th, so by all accounts the score should be realeased on December 6th.

Interesting tidbit of info about Memoirs of a Geisha: during his show "Clef Notes from Tinseltown" at FilmMusicRadio.com, Dan Goldwasser revealed that the score will feature also violin solos performed by Itzhak Perlman.

You can listen to his show here

I sense this will be a great score... ;)

When is Memoirs of a Geisha coming out on CD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!???????????????????????? GAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

;)

Justin - Surprised Neil didn't close this thread. :wave:

Its funny, by the time i really got tired of listening to POA, Star Wars Ep 3 came out, and then WOTW! Im sure that by the time those two scores really overdo me (So I dont listen to them every day:) I will be ready for another Williams score. Its a good cycle.

John Williams, Yo-Yo Ma and Itzhak Perlman have just completed the recording of the score for Memoirs of a Geisha in Los Angeles.

:):) beerchug

I get real excited when I read news like that. Just knowing that right now, Yo-Yo Ma and Perlman have packed up their instruments after a week of performing what is sure to be a score that confirms a famous Spielberg quote, which I wil paraphrase:

"He can make a tear that's already forming fall down your cheek."

And thinking that he's in a studio editing this to film makes me even happier. Now he's just got to get going on "Munich." There's less than four months to go!

nooooooooooo its not klaus "bad"elt nor that trevor rabies guy. it's willliams who's writing the music. and this is awful. yoyo ma and perlman are on it, and its not coming out next month! What am i going to do? how can i wait 3 months for stuff from 3 amazing musicians? gahhhhhhhhhhhh

it's willliams who's writing the music.

yeah we know its john williams who's writing the music.

Trevor Rabin. Didn't you know?

I heard it was Klaus Badelt and the "Bootstrap" Gang.

we called that joking.

Yo-Yo Ma and Itzhak Perlman join for this recording. I wonder if Williams wrote any duets for violin and cello? That would be awesome!

According to film music journalist Dan Goldwasser, "there was a big orchestra cue that was rewritten at the last minute, and ended up being a very intimate piece with Yo Yo Ma,

arrgh,I don't like the sound of that

K.M.Who hopes that "big orchestra cue" is on the c.d.

K.m.2 who prefers the "big orchestra cues" of 7 Year in Tibet over the intimate YoYoMa ones

When is Memoirs of a Geisha coming out on CD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!???????????????????????? GAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

with movie soundtrack sales, especially scores in the tank,

chances are that there will not be a formal release.

and don't expect any kind of internet sneak preview, there are not enough people interested, for anyone to make it happen.

I figure there are enough newbies around that I might get a few to panic

Luke, the score CD is great. Of course I got the 5 disc Composer's Edition from Williams that not only has every take of every cue but also an hour interview on DVD with him walking the viewer through his compositional process. Very informative.

Unfortunately, the disc is specially encoded to self-destruct if I so much as talk about putting some of it on the web POOF! Damn, it's gone.

The 5 disc edition isn't bad, but the 7 disc complete is the one to get. It features 2 whole discs of chit chat! I'll put it on my server tonight and let everyone hear it. The usual rules apply.

-W

ohh, Weebo, if I send you my address, can I get a copy?

I'll gladly pay money for the expense of shipping and for the cost of the cdr's.

this should be an amazing score, I've never heard John to CHAMBER music before.

The 5 disc edition isn't bad, but the 7 disc complete is the one to get.  It features 2 whole discs of chit chat!  I'll put it on my server tonight and let everyone hear it.  The usual rules apply.

-W

The DVd had some really neat outtakes of the Williams interview too. There's one point where he thought it would be cool to conduct with two katanas (samurai long swords) and during a particularly rousing moment the blades got away from him and he cut off the heads of the concertmaster and principal cellist. Whoops! Oh man, the blood was everywhere and poor John was the consumate professional attempting to finish the take before calling the paramedics in.

There's also a part where he is on the phone with Spielberg and actually calls him his bitch! Who knew Williams was down with the ghetto vernacular? Not me!

finally, in a rare display of pure comedic hilarity, whilst eating with chopsticks, the maestro pops both up his nostils and does one of the finest walruss immitations I've ever seen. The guy composes great music and is a comedic genius. Too much!