What is the last score you listened to?

HPFAN_2

The Brothers Grimm. Not the most original score I ever heard, but VERY solid. Kinda like a cross between Elfman and Goldsmith, think Jerry-lush-strings and Danny-gothic, and somewhat "europeanised". Very enjoyable, especially the 9min "the forst comes to life" marathon track. Have to look out for Marianelli scores in the future. Here's a guy who knows how to use an orchestra.

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

good. ;) I especially like the ambiguity of the soft "fairy tale" theme, it's constantly played in major over minor chords, so it always sounds a bit "uneasy"... the "march" theme is pure gothic fun... and one theme is actually by Brahms, an (anachronistically) whistled and hummed by several characters , but what Marianelli does with the theme is inspired :)

:) Waxman's Sunset Boulevard Walking down Sunset Boulevard so please feel free to stop and talk to me. Not looking for sex at this time.

Patrick Doyle's Gosford Park. Generally speaking- a smaller Doyle score, with a certain chamber quality to it. I quite like it, but I think you'd have to like the film to really like this score. Though the few big moments are fun regardless ('Walking to Shoot', 'Inspector Thomspon', 'Scherzo in G'. It's a very good listening experience on the album, the motifs really build and draw you in, and I become more and more involved in it as I'm listening.

The only track I can really listen to more then once on the Passion soundtrack is "The Crucifixion". It nicely sums up the sound of the score in one tight package.

Just listened to "Capricorn One" again. In my opinion, Peter Hyams has never directed a good movie, but at least this one got a good score from Goldsmith.

Tim

• 2 weeks later...

Okay since i'm the only one listening to film score lately..............

Looney Tunes Back in Action

This is the first Goldsmith score I actualy enjoy. It seems that only he and Williams can create a comedy score that sounds good and doesn't sound cartoony. As if you need to see what the music is scored to for you to enjoy it.

Peter Pan

I still say that this score is in the league of Williams' Hook. Although there is no doubt the clear winner it can still stand tall against it. Howard created so many memorable themes and you can almost feel the magic in the score. Listening to this score before seein the movie I was quite disappointed since the movie was less engaging and mystical as this wonderful score is.

Terminal - Wonderfully lighthearted effort from Williams. I will always be reminded of Rome by this score since I bought it from there last year. Oh the Eternal City! I wish I could be there!

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (Danny Elfman): A good and solid effort. Little offputting because of the stylistic jumble of some of the tracks. I have grown a little tired of that Elfman sound. Something new and different should be in order. Not my favorite Elfman score.

Nightmare Before Christmas - Wonderful though I do not like singing that much in my scores. But this is infectuous listening. What a wonderful voice Elfman has! His songs for Jack are great!

Basic Instinct (Expanded Bootleg): 87 minutes of music from The erotic thriller of the 90's. Little too repetetive but a brilliant suspence score from the departed Maestro. This is what a thriller score should sound like.

The Mummy (Goldsmith if somebody does not know): Gets better after every listening. Strong action music and wonderful Love theme variatons keep the score alive. A good and solid adventure score to a movie the composer said was absolute piece of crap (Goldsmith hated the movie very much).

Brothers Grimm (Dario Marianelli): Strong and motivic rather than thematic score. It is like Danny Elfman meeting Goldsmith. Interesting percussion effects and strong action, horror, fantasy writing with Brahms lullaby theme thrown into the mix. Score I will be listening more to get all out of it. Few motifs elude me still I am sure :wave:

'Legend of Zorro'....

there are some brilliant bits of swashbuckling in this. 'The Train' has some furious moments in the first and last 3 minutes, which

are better than Horner's entire output of the last five years.

The themes are the same as in 'Mask', but on the album, 'Legend' is miles ahead, with more colorful percussion and more lighthearted action, which is always welcome in these ears.

Perhaps I should go and listen to A.I. once again. A brilliant score BTW. The best Williams has written in the new millenium.

Great too, particularly the last part of Revolutions. Gotta love Neodämmerung

The more I listen to that cue the more I absolutly love it.

The Last Samurai. I just love this score.

Justin - Who can't say that about many Zimmer scores.

Not really a film score (unless you count the recent movie), but I listened to Highlights From The Phantom Of The Opera yesterday. It is truly a masterpiece. Webber is a very great composer; I just love all the music on the album to death. It's wonderful!

~Sturgis

The Machinist, by Roque Baños and Brothers Grimm, by Dario Marinelli.

None of them is particulary inovative, but they still stand as two of the best "recent scores" I've heard.

I highly recomend both of them.

Yes it is.

I had no idea a tidal wave of southern, exotic music, something I utterly despise in film scores, would crash right over my head.

When I bought it I thought "It won an Oscar, how bad can it be?" Boy was I wrong ...

SO, the bottom line is: I spent my 30 Euro gift certificate on Episode III and Frida. That was a horrible, horrible day ...

Kamen's X-Men is underrated.

I do not like it one bit. It has nothing I expected from the supoerhero score. It is cold ugly and unthematic and even the small thematic threads are unattractive. I have part of the complete score bootleg but ir does not make the score better in any way. Too much of those strange synths.

Elliot Goldenthal's Frida .

I almost puked  :)

My ideas about Academy were once again validated after listening to the score. Pure idiots. How could they reward such a worthless piece of crap. I listened to it for a while but it was pure agony. I hate it. Goldethal has written much better things.

Horner's THE LEGEND OF ZORRO and CHUMSCRUBBERS back to back.

Thank God there was no song on the CD of Zorro. Chumscrubbers...a very quirky score...much in the same vein as Elfman. An Elfman-ish score by Horner? Hold that thought, people!

How dare you trash "Frida"! :) Of course it's no typical Hollywood orchestra score. For what it is, it is great! If you don't like its style, that's your problem, not the score's :)

If you don't like it you can send it to me, I'll pay the postage :)

Thank God there was no song on the CD of Zorro.  Chumscrubbers...a very quirky score...much in the same vein as Elfman.  An Elfman-ish score by Horner?  Hold that thought, people!

So now we have an Elfman-ish score by Horner and one by Williams... any more of these? :)

Thank God there was no song on the CD of Zorro.  Chumscrubbers...a very quirky score...much in the same vein as Elfman.  An Elfman-ish score by Horner?  Hold that thought, people!

Was the Legend of Zorro any good? I have heard it continues in that Spanish swashbuckling style I am not that fond of (lets just say I had enough of it in the Mask of Zorro). And that thought of Horner sounding like Elfman... spooky. I am glad it sounds different. Horner's style has become some what stale over these past few years.

I had no idea a tidal wave of southern, exotic music, something I utterly despise in film scores, would crash right over my head.

What did you think you were going to hear from a southern exotic score for a southern exotic film?

Justin - Who has not heard Frida but is glad that Goldenthal finally got his oscar.

What did you think you were going to hear from a southern exotic score for a southern exotic film?

Would it help if I told you that I've never seen the film? I don't know its story, I don't know its settings. The only thing I know is the cover of the soundtrack and now its content ...

Well, putting aside the fact that I regard "Frida" as quite a good score and an enjoyable listen, you could have checked first at filmtracks (for info) and amazon (for more soundclips) before buying... it's free and saves you trouble :P

Well, I'll put them here too... Since at least the thread title suggests, that this post belongs here...

I had two experiences today: I relistened to Nixon and fealt great, and besides that I watced Angelas Ashes (the film) for the first time, and felt a Schindlerian effect on that one...

-Snowster

you could have checked first at filmtracks (for info) and amazon (for more soundclips) before buying... it's free and saves you trouble

I really appreciate your concerns, but ... it won an oscar, it was a gift certificate, it cost 9 Euro, I WAS YOUNG...!

I am glad I borrowed Frida from the library. Did not cost anything and now I know to watch out that album :P

Oh and the last score I listened was Joel McNeely's Shadows of the Empire. A nice album with few outstanding tracks.

- Marc, going to Amsterdam in an hour to possibly look for some new CDs.

Damn, Marc, on 23rd August!?

Why not 14th August? I was there!! We could have meet each other! Oh wait, you actually knew I was going to be in Amsterdam on 14th August, so you actually avoided me! How dare you! ;)

On the 15th we visited some places around and near Amsterdam, and on the way back to Amsterdam's hotel, I saw "Hoorn" in many road signs and I thought "Where's Steef? Where's Steef?" But I didn't met him.

By the way, where is a big store in Amsterdam? I didn't find any big store. Only stuff I found was this Free Record Shop thing, but these stores are so small! They haven't anything interesting, and the soundtrack-section was so incredibly limited! I thought that was a Virgin Megastore, or a Tower Records, being Amesterdam a big city. It was a great disappointement, because I thought I was going to buy a lot of CDs like last year in NYC. I bought zero CDs instead :)

Hey Mirko.

The soundtrack selection at Free Record Shop is rubbish. There's a big CD store on the Dam in Amsterdam, on the corner of the Kalverstraat called Fame Music. Their soundtrack selection isn't as good as it used to be, and they're usually very overpriced, but at least it's better than FRS's rubbish (although I did buy Once Upon a Time in the West that day at FRS).

- Marc

So, well, I missed that Fame Music thing, I'll keep it in mind for the eventual next time I'll go to Amesterdam. :)

Surprisingly (or not), I'll listened to some parts of Superman - The Movie this morning.

Frida is a very good score (with very good songs, too). Not Goldenthal's best, but a good occasion for his Oscar.

Frida is a fine score, but by no stretch of imagination is it better than Catch me if You Can or Far from Heaven, and it sure as hell isn't even in the same league as Road to Perdition (IMO the best score of 2002, along with Signs). He deserved the award for Michael Collins (My favorite Goldenthal score (right above Cobb), and one of the great scores of 1996, with Mission:Impossible, Hunchback of Notre-Dame and my own sentimental favorite, The Rock).

Last CD I listened to is the priceless Chicken Run. What a wonderful, wonderful, score.

Frida - The score was super in the film. That film blew me away. Very artistic, she was such a brilliant and tragic figure. His songs were great, the melody, lyrics, fine work.

He's done better, but maybe the Oscar was a bit more for how he collaborates with Taymor (also his girlfriend), it's seamless.

I love Michael Collins, and his Final Fantasy is just unreal. Titus is also a real ride.

Last score I listened to, was Hidalgo by James Newton Howard (in film, finally saw the movie). Such a fabulous score. This got a bit overlooked by fans because The Village came shortly after.

A great Western adventure score, big romantic sweeping themes and rousing action tracks. And then we go into the Far East with exotic Arabian music.

Greta

Memoirs of a Geisha

Lovely. Still not sure if I'll go see the film, but the soundtrack is very good.

Saving Private Ryan

I've been listening a lot to this CD over the past week, and I'm really enjoying it. Very good main theme (and by that I don't mean Hymn, which is great too).