What is the last score you listened to?

HPFAN_2

Just saw CC's review of it. Sounds a bit too gushing to be true....is it really that good?

I didn't realize he reviewed it, but I just took a look. He did indeed provide a gushing review, and awarded it 5 stars. I got it when cinemusic.net reviewed it last year, and gave it an equally gushing review.

I'll say this about it. It's a great score. It's consistent, but can get repetative. It's very Elfman-like, something that he might have done 15 years ago. That's not to say that Wiseman doesn't have her own voice, though. It's a gothic score, but it does have light moments in between.

I have one more thing to say about the violin concerto that I mentioned a few posts back. It has one of the greatest endings in the history of the violin concerto. Without a doubt. The last 3 minutes are unbelievable.

Tim

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker.

Awesome music for a brilliant game. I particularly love the End Credits music. And variations of the "Great Sea" theme (which in itself is a variation of the main theme). Twilight Princess can't come soon enough.

But that's not the credits music... the credits music is a variation on the WW title theme (the flute/violin jig). What you're describing is the music from the game trailer... I guess the composers modified the piece to the final in-game form because it was a bit too bombastic for cruising around on the wide ocean with nothing much happening for long stretches of time ;) The trailer had a tighter form and the momentum to keep the bombastic athmosphere going (and the shipping scenes where intercut with lots of other stuff).

But as you said, amazing score ;) There where many eye-opening moments during the game when some familiar theme from LttP or eben LoZ appeared :)

I'm lost. I wasn't saying the credits music was a variation on the Great Sea theme, but that theme does appear several times in the credits. I'm saying I love that track, because it incorporates so many themes so seamlessly, while constantly under the "title" music (with the piano/flute/violin). But I also love the "Game Demo" track, which was the Great Sea music and the Zelda Overworld theme in a mish-mash. I know they're seperate, but I still like those tracks. :)

At the moment I am listening to the Mission Theme. Shortly therebefore I was digging into The various olympic works by Williams. Those are by far my favorites, I love them. If any of you know which orchestra he recorded the majority of those themes with, I would be much oblidged if you would tell me. Those trumpets are amazing, as well as the brass in general, I love that huge brassy sound!

I just popped in Ocean's Eleven, transferring from the Final Crusade closing theme... How is it the Indy themes can be so simple (in comparison) and yet they are in the same group as the great film scores of all times? It's a good thing...

New library findings.

Airport-Alfred Newman.WOW,these are among the best Main Titles I've ever heard.the rest of the c.d. is so-so.

Brazil-Michael Kamen.There's a really good love theme in there.I've read most renditons of it are unreleased.This c.d. is ill concieved.Narration and songs pop into score tracks without warning :(

Young Indiana Jones Vol 1,3,4.Mostly blah.Heard a few good tracks.Direct rips of Hook and Last Crusade in Phantom Train of Doom

Thunderbirds-Barry Gray.Great to hear those TV scores again.some great themes in there.

Basil Poledouris:

Conan the Barbarian

Farewell to the King

Quigley down Under

Les Miserables

Lonesome Dove.

I found most of this to be filler underscore.I still think Conan is overrated.

James Horner:

A Far Off Place-meh

Thunderheart-not very listeneable

Aliens(original c.d.)also mostly unlistenable

How the Grinch Stole Christmas-fun,but less good than the original (see below)

Legends of the Fall :sleepy:

The Rocketeer.Why I never got this c.d. before is beyond me.Excellent stuff.

Troy.Standard but still good Horner.More in tune with his 80's style.

Radio

Balto

Beyond Borders

A Beautiful mind

Glory

Goldsmith:

The Haunting:Not bad,some echoes of Poltergeist.

Chain Reaction.Prime example of how I don't like how Goldsmith's style has devolved.The last track(Finale) is good.

Looney Tunes.Meh

Poltergeist 2:Worth it for Reaching Out

Small Soldiers:Meh

I borrowed a few soundtracks to cartoons I liked as a kid.Asterix and Lucky Luke au Cinema.These had great main themes(from Asterix le Gaulois and Lucky Luke Daisy Town).

And I got the original How the Grinch Stole Christmas soundtrack from the 1966 TV special.I still think Welcome Christmas is better than anything in the Home Alone movies.But I think this c.d. is an alternate take from the real TV soundtrack and score takes,because a small bit I really like is not on it,or different.I''ll have to check next year when it's on TV again.

K.M.

I drove down to a friends house today, its a complete cd drive away, on the way down I listened to Memoirs of a Geisha, and on the way back I listened to Revenge of the Sith.

Sith gets worse and worse the more I listen to it, the best track is the last, except for the horrible Battle of the Heroes mixed in between music from Star Wars. Its remarkably unremarkable.

Memoirs of A Geisha: Both the CD and Williams and Yo Yo Ma duets. Graceful music. I particularly love Ma's performance on those iTunes exclusive tracks. Williams' arrangements are very good.

Munich: Music gets more and more emotional for me after each listening. Seeing the movie really added depth to the music.

FOTR Complete Recordings: I simply can't get enough of it. :sleepy:

Patton: Goldsmith's extremely sparce but effective and powerful score. The march is a classic.

Final Fantasy: Goldenthals mammoth of a score. Gothic music heaven. I really love those building heavy chord progressions he does so often. Love theme is gorgeous. LSO is in top form in this one.

Born on the Fourth of July(complete score bootleg): Williams' best drama efforts. String writing is awesome and there is not a bad thing about the score if not the fact that it is very emotionally taxing.

Sleepers: Over looked but highly effective and haunting music. Dark subject matter created a dark score. Great thematic material and something totally different from Williams.

Thunderbirds-Barry Gray.Great to hear those TV scores again.some great themes in there.

I still need to get those. I loved the music from Thunderbirds as a kid. Still do, actually.

Memoirs of a Geisha - the best score of 2005, period.

Patrick Doyle's Jeckyl and Hyde - Very very interesting. This is the type of score that makes me apreciate Doyle's talents. although I only listened to a few tracks.

Patrick Doyle's Jeckyl and Hyde - Very very interesting. This is the type of score that makes me apreciate Doyle's talents. although I only listened to a few tracks.

Now what's this?!

Marian - who has never heard of it.

The Lost World! I bought a used copy at the local CD store and . . . I'm not regretting it.

Not that I thought I would.

It's a LOT darker than the first score. And the crazy percussion in "Rescuing Sarah" and "The Raptors Appear" kind of reminded me of Predator 2. If the percussion in Predator 2 fit, that is. I had a serious problem with parts of that score. But that's another story. The Lost World is great.

I've ventured in a few James Newton howard scores.

didn't like Dinosaur except for a few cues.

I liked Atlantis much better,making it my favourite score from this composer.

K.M.

I find Atlantis to be a much more generic JNH score. Also, the first half of the score is way to mickey mousey for me.

I bought Kingdom of Heaven. This score could easily beat ROTS as the best score of the year.

Justin - Who's rarely been as impressed by a score overall.

I bought Kingdom of Heaven. This score could easily beat ROTS as the best score of the year.

I found myself wanting to vomit as I heard the music to this movie. I have seen almost all of the movies that Gregson-Williams has scored. In each instance, without hesitation, I feel that his music makes the movie worse. Not to mention I can't stand the music as a standalone entity.

Now what's this?!

Marian - who has never heard of it.

It's just coming out. I think the movie is a small english production.

Good for you for trying him out. I'd think that Wyatt Earp and Peter Pan, among others, are ones you may enjoy too.

Ray Barnsbury

Good for you for trying him out. I'd think that Wyatt Earp and Peter Pan, among others, are ones you may enjoy too.

Ray Barnsbury

I do have the 10 minute End Credits suite from the Peter Pan DVD.I like The flying theme ,the rest so-so,so I'm not sure about spending 26$ for the c.d.,it's a really expensive one.

K.M.

I do have the 10 minute End Credits suite from  the Peter Pan DVD.I like The flying theme ,the rest so-so,so I'm not sure about spending 26$ for the c.d.,it's a really expensive one.

Can't you but this off of amazon.com for $14? Or are you referring to some special disc that I'm not aware of?

King mark lives in Canada, currency difference.

I listened to:

Mousehunt - Alan Silvestri

Godzilla vs Destroyer - Akira Ifukube

Godzilla vs Mecha-Godzilla II - Akira Ifukube

There is a currency difference if I order online,so it usually not to my advantage.When c.d.'s or DVD's are first released,the price in Canada is about the same as in the US(16.99$ for a c.d. and 15$-24$ for a DVD),so I am usually winning since our currency is less(I got Geisha for 17.99 $cdn).However,in the case of non-mainstream soundtracks sitting on shelves of stores,they can have a list price of 26-27$ cdn.Peter Pan falls in this category.

Ghostbusters is going to cost me about 30$cdn.

K.M.

There is a currency difference if I order online,so it usually not to my advantage.When c.d.'s or DVD's are first released,the price in Canada is about the same as in the US(16.99$ for a c.d. and 15$-24$ for a DVD),so I am usually winning since our currency is less(I got Geisha for 17.99 $cdn).However,in the case of non-mainstream soundtracks sitting on shelves of stores,they can have a list price of 26-27$ cdn.Peter Pan falls in this category.

If you're really interested in the Peter Pan score, Amazon could ship it to you for 22$ cdn, shipping included. I'd actually have to ship it to you through my own account from the US to get this deal, but it is better than the 26$ cdn you quoted earlier...just a thought.

Just got A.I., Far and Away and The Iron Giant which I'll be listening to immediately

Nick just got the expanded FOTR set which will also be taking up large amounts of time

I believe you will find it an incredible dust collector.

I think the score to A.I is certainly an impressive effort. I would have enjoyed more bite to the score, something llike Close Encounters.

Ok,so having been impressed by Airport,I decided to borrow more Alfred Newman...which led me to get some of these Biblical Epics scores from the 50's and 60's,like The Egyptian,The Robe,Greatest Story Ever Told,Ben Hur,King of Kings...

So far I am mostly bored by them,except those big chorus cues.

K.M.

Ok,so having been impressed by Airport,I decided to borrow more Alfred Newman...which led me to get some of these Biblical Epics scores from the 50's and 60's,like The Egyptian,The Robe,Greatest Story Ever Told,Ben Hur,King of Kings...

So far I am mostly bored by them,except those big chorus cues.

What is it that you find boring? When these scores were produced, wow, they were an overnight success. I really like the score to The Robe mostly because of the amount of research that went into it, you can hear how literal some of the harmonic tendencies are to the period.

And for me, one of the mother film scores of all time is The Ten Commandments.

I find thos harmonies of the time..less pleasing to listen to than John Williams and more recent composers.

i have to get The Ten Commandements too.

K.M.

I find thos harmonies of the time..less pleasing to listen to than John Williams and more recent composers.

Sorry, I was referring to the harmonic ideas that were present during the period that The Robe took place in (during the time of Christ). Of course it wasn't completely literal, but I thought it was a nice mix of then contemporary orchestral sound and biblicalesque qualities (whatever THAT means)!

well these "biblicalesque qualities" were also invented by Hollywood composers.They didn't have any orchestras 2000 years ago...

k.m.

well these "biblicalesque qualities" were also invented by Hollywood composers.They didn't have any orchestras 2000 years ago...

Right, no orchestras 2000 years ago, but instrument groups, early fractured modal harmony (as the greeks and romans knew it in the time of Strabo and Heron) and rhythm from that period pop up in The Robe from time to time. For me that makes the score worth my attention.

Just my luck,the Night Crossing c.d. from the library is completely unplayable.#$%%! I really wanted to hear this.there is ia completely bare and transparent area under the library magnetic antitheft sticker...like the glue dissolved the disk surface

K.M.Who had been waiting a month for it.

I believe you will enjoy A.I immensly (minus the songs).

So far, yes :)

I believe you will find it an incredible dust collector

So far, no

Angela's Ashes. I don't care what anyone says. To me this is one of JW's greatest achievements

Oh, yes. I was so pissed recently, when I caught the end of the movie, to discover that his glorious finale was not there in full.

I'm in the middle of listening to the John Debney conducted Superman score. I was reading the liner notes while "The Planet Krypton" started, and I suddenly closed the booklet. I got so caught up in the sheer beauty of the building fanfare that I actually began tearing up and couldn't concentrate.

Tim, who's a big baby