What is the last score you listened to?

HPFAN_2

Well, there's plenty of undemanding Goldsmith (mostly for forgettable 90s movies), but there's a LOT of demanding Goldsmith, and a fair share of highly demanding Goldsmith.

Marian - :P

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey, can anyone tell me how good the version of the Star Trek main theme is on the Boston Pops "Out of This World" CD? It's conducted by Williams, and I was curious about it :P

I saw a comment on the Amazon review page that it's "unbearably slow"...but that doesn't necessarily mean it's bad. How's the sound quality?

There's also a version of Goldsmith's Alien end credits, right? What about that one?

Tim

Jaws

As was stated in another thread, the piraty music adds so much to this score. The first third or so is mostly just a bunch of statements of the (albeit very good) shark theme, but once the Orca action begins the score takes off. Man Against Beast is a particular favorite. Still not one of my absolute favorite scores, but I appreciate both its greatness and its important place in history.

Jurassic Park

I spend so much time running this score down that I often don't make any statements to the fact that I do enjoy it. But Journey to the Island and its signature fanfare theme is the only truly great part of the score IMO, the rest is merely good.

Hey, can anyone tell me how good the version of the Star Trek main theme is on the Boston Pops "Out of This World" CD?  It's conducted by Williams, and I was curious about it :P

I saw a comment on the Amazon review page that it's "unbearably slow"...but that doesn't necessarily mean it's bad.  How's the sound quality?

There's also a version of Goldsmith's Alien end credits, right?  What about that one?

Tim

Very very slow. If it was any slower I'd swear Williams fell asleep at the podium. It's an ok CD but unless you are have to have evrything with Williams' name on it I'd skip although it does contain a concert version of Jabba The Hutt's theme.

:)

The Vanishing - Goldsmith

Aliens - Horner

Total Recall - Goldsmith

Jaws 2 - Williams

L.A. Confidential - Goldsmith

Starship Troopers - Poledouris

I kind of like the Williams conducted Star Trek theme.It's slow,but Williams put extra lushness into it.

K.M,.

Brazil-Michael Kamen

I can tell right off the bat this is a crappy c.d. release.First off there's not much score on it,and second there's an beautiful but aborted love theme at the beginning of the track "Jill Brazil/Power Station" that never really returns for the rest of the c.d.Is there more renditions of this theme in the film?

Edit.Wow,this movie just happened to play on TV tonight.Yep,this theme has more developped and beautiful versions in the film,like when the guy with the wings is flying in the clouds at the beginning.

K.M.

Just got Rachel Portman's Legend of Bagger Vance score, like it a lot.

Max - awaiting his Angela Ashes import cd and Mission Impossible: III

Mission Impossible - Danny Elfman

Extreme Prejudice - Goldsmith

Under Siege 2 - Basil Poledouris

Cassandra Crossing - Goldsmith

Breakheart Pass - Goldsmith

Gojira - Akira Ifukube

Caveman - Lalo Schifrin

The Eiger Sanction - Williams

John Williams: Jane Eyre

Eiger Sanction

Stanley&Iris

Monsignor

Michael Giacchino: Medal of Honour scores

John Debney: Passion of Christ

Thomas Newman: Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events

Phenomenon

John Ottman: Apt Pupil

The Patriot

I've always thought of this as the quintessential middle-of-the-road Williams score. There's certainly nothing that could be called a Classic Williams Moment, but it's not anywhere near awful either. The thematic structure is actually quite good, with several solid major themes (multi-part main theme, love theme, Horror of War theme) and some pretty good minor ones (Colonial Cause, Susan/North Star, Tavington's motif). The main drawback is quite a bit of bland underscore, but there's some really good tragic writing (The Death of Thomas, the end of The Burning of the Plantation, and especially The Parish Curch Aflame) and the end battle cues don't disappoint. The concert piece is quite good too.

Michael Giacchino's Mission: Impossible: III

:music:

Only thing I'm pissed about is the crappy job they did importing the names into iTunes

• 2 weeks later...

Thought I'd rescue this thread from the oblivion of page 2 :)

Anne Dudley's Tristan + Isolde

Beautiful, atmospheric score, just my kind of thing. A nice main theme as well, I gave it a chance because the movie subject looks promising and it's not by an A-lister who would probably have tried injecting some MV style stuff.

I also get the impression this was temped with Newman's material because I've heard at least 4 of his trademark sounds just in the first five tracks.

Also Goldsmith's Legend - very weird score with some strange singing and male chanting, but from what I've heard so far some nice moments.

Oh yes, Tombstone is one incredible score :mrgreen:

As much as I hate to say it, it impresses me more than JNH's Wyatt Earp, which while a brilliant score, doesn't quite send me right into the west.

Broughton also did Homeward Bound.

...in the same year as Tombsone, no less. Homeward Bound is one of my favorite scores, largely because of childhood nostalgia. :(

ttbk

:) Wild Signals

Cleopatra by Alex North and it's friggin' awesome.

Yes it is.

Broughton also did Homeward Bound.

Both Homeward Bound scores by Broughton are worth having.

Poseidon - Typical MV score, but not the worst. The main theme is one note different from Luke & Leia however.

V for Vendetta - very impressed. Must listen to Marianelli's Brothers Grimm again.

Night Crossing-Jerry Goldsmith.From a trade.

WOW!Massive orchestral sound,just as good as Poltergeist and Final Conflict.Goldsmith at his best.I can't believe it took me so long to hear this,other that it was impossible to find in stores.I've been wanting this since reading the Goldsmith buying guide in FSM in 1999.Listen to any score from 1990+ just after this and you'll wonder if Goldsmith had a stroke that reduced his composing abilities.

K.M.

Superman

Good to hear this one all the way from front to back again.

I still don't find the second half very emotionally compelling, though. Everything up to and including The Fortress of Solitude remains some of Williams' best work ever, and the Love theme is gorgeous, but I just don't think it's as good as some others here do.

Skycaptain and the World of Tomorrow, Edward Shearmur

Band of Brothers, Michael Kamen. Absolutely one of the best TV series scores I have heard. The album works wonderfully on its on as well.

X-Men 3, John Powell. This score is growing on me more on each listening. For me this is the best of the three X-Men scores.

Silverado, Bruce Broughton. A very infectuous Western score from an underrated composer.

Ghostbusters, Elmer Bernstein. I found this score to be average and I do not know why evertybody made such a big fuss about it. There was nothing memorable about it IMO.

Matrix Trilogy, Don Davis. These scores need more listening. The initial impression is that they are interesting and I should find time to listen to the thoroughly. There much to be discovered here.

Da Vinci Code, Hans Zimmer. A positive surprise. This score has perhaps a tad too heavy string ensemble as usual for Zimmer (those basses espcially) but themes and vocal music are beautiful.

Superman, John Williams. I listened to this score after a long time and I wonder why the heck do I not listen to it more often. It is Williams at his best. There is such a spirit to this score. :P I love it. And the Love theme is one of Williams' most beautiful creations.

The Omen- I've probably listened to cues from this score more then any other score right now, it has certainly elevated my opinion of Jerry Goldsmith.

Misison Impossible 3- really the best parts of this score are the integrations of the Mission Impossible themes, haven't really been able to sit through the rest.

The Mission- I just put this one in my computer for the first time, and it really is amazing

Its not really a score but I just finished Williams on Williams the Spielberg compilation album. It has great Hook music on it.

I've listening to Mission Impossible: III a lot recently.

This score doesn't impress me as much as it should. It's a very good score, above average if that's a compliment. But in it, I hear very little of the talent you can spot in Lost, Alias or pretty much any of Giacchino's videogames. Maybe he's trying to sound un-Alias while I'm subconsciously looking for the opposite.

But as always, a score that disappoints only speaks for the listener, never for the score itself. Very good. As long as it's not the drama parts.

:|

The Rocketeer - Horner

Star Trek II - Horner

Troy - Yared

Air Force One - Goldsmith

Under Fire - Goldsmith

I was able to commandeer a copy of "As Time Goes By" which is a CD that has selected movie tracks performed by 12 cellists of the Berlin Philharmonic. I was just listening to their version of "I Could Have Done More", and I thought it was pretty damn good. They also do "Family Portrait" from Harry Potter (however, there is a clarinetist playing on this one, too), and the Catch Me If You Can main titles from the Williams catalogue.

Other interests to this board may be the Basic Instinct main theme by Goldsmith and the love scene from Vertigo by Herrmann. Oh, and for you Horner-addicts, there's the main theme from Titanic.

It obviously lacks the punch from a full orchestra, but the arrangements and performances are interesting, as you would expect from members of a professional and world-renowned orchestra.

Tim

Not a score but just got back from an MSO concert with guest artist Joshua Bell (because of him I'm now going to go out and buy Red Violin). From Russia with Love program, some Toccata and Fugue, Glazunov's Violin Concerto and Symphony No. 3 "Organ Symphony"

Max - Who thinks there should be a what was the last concert you attended thread

Not a score but just got back from an MSO concert with guest artist Joshua Bell (because of him I'm now going to go out and buy Red Violin).

Great score. The first time I heard it was the chaconne in concert.

From Russia with Love program, some Toccata and Fugue, Glazunov's Violin Concerto and Symphony No. 3 "Organ Symphony"

What's Saint-Saens got to do with Russia?

Max - Who thinks there should be a what was the last concert you attended thread

Start one! :|

;) Starship Troopers (Basil Poledouris)

Hannibal. A tremendous score, one of Zimmer's best, and one of the best of the 2000's. And contrary to common belief, IMO the opera piece is just the icing on a rich, delicious, cake.

From Russia with Love program, some Toccata and Fugue, Glazunov's Violin Concerto and Symphony No. 3 "Organ Symphony"

What's Saint-Saens got to do with Russia?

No idea, it sounded Russian though, except for the last movement which I had no idea was used in Babe.

Max - :P Piano Concerto No. 2 in C Minor - III: Allegro Scherzando Sergei Rachmaninoff, yes

No idea, it sounded Russian though, except for the last movement which I had no idea was used in Babe.

I knew that, though I didn't when I watched Babe.

It's a great symphony though. :P