What is the last score you listened to?

HPFAN_2

Over the span of the last three days the complete scores for...

The Matrix

The Matrix Reloaded

The Matrix Revolutions

I love these three scores. There's just so much complexity I guess with Don Davis' music and I never get tired of listening to them.

I know that most of you here hate the music but you know what I don't care that doesn't stop me from enjoying them myself.

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Over the 3 scores there are parts that I really like and parts that do nothing for me.

It has to be said though that Davis' impressive orchestrations are above and beyond the very standardized sound we have been getting from the action/spectacle genre.

Don Davis is one of the most technically skilled composers out there today, even if he's not my favorite.

Also, with his last 2 Matrix scores, he helped make Rob Dougan sound a little better then he actually is, IMO.

• 2 weeks later...

Die Hard (Michael Kamen)

The famous action score that isn't an action score at all, but much more a superbly written suspencse score.

What I always loved about Kamen was the sense of humour that is often in his music. I have no idea why this score has a quotation from Singing In The Rain, but I love the fact that it's there.

I don't love the fact that the Varese Club CD has such poor sound when compared to the Lethal Weapon score release (or the old Die Hard bootleg).

I have no idea why this score has a quotation from Singing In The Rain, but I love the fact that it's there.

Because like Beethoven's 9th, it was used in A Clockwork Orange to underscore violent images. It was used by request of the director.

The ending of Die Hard, where Hans takes a tumble, always reminded me of the orchestral ending to "Nights in White Satin" by The Moody Blues. Just a thing I have with it, can't quite get it out of my head when I hear it.

Tim

Yared's Troy. Not the most original score ever, but a triumphant epic. People who compose test audiences are douchebags.

Singing In The Rain? What cue has that?

Assault on the Tower. It's the very first thing you hear, and it's used as a motif throughout the cue.

Didn't Kamen also incorporate Walking in a Winter Wonderland somewhere?

- Marc, who just decided to listen to the whole thing. ;)

EDIT: Ah, Winter Wonderland can be heard in Welcome to the Party.

EDIT 2: And Assault on the Tower.

I'm enjoying this score. :D

Singing In The Rain? What cue has that?

Assault on the Tower. It's the very first thing you hear, and it's used as a motif throughout the cue.

Didn't Kamen also incorporate Walking in a Winter Wonderland somewhere?

- Marc, who just decided to listen to the whole thing. ;)

EDIT: Ah, Winter Wonderland can be heard in Welcome to the Party.

EDIT 2: And Assault on the Tower.

I'm enjoying this score. :D

Hmmm I always thought it was a variation of Winter Wonderland. Also look for a snippet in The Battle, the scene where McClane spots the Christmas wrapping tape.

Got the four tracks from the OST of Bride to Terabithia - surprisingly good, with one of those short but instantly memorable themes.

I also found myself liking two of the songs as well. As a score fan I'm not particularly proud of that, especially since it's Hayden Panettiere and Annasophia Robb's songs, but hey, I'm branching out my interests :folder:

And I watched Ratatouille yesterday (absolutely hilarious, possibly Pixar's best movie), but I've never been a big Giacchino fan, and most of what I heard in the movie was slapstick or really french stuff, neither of which I like, so I've passed on it.

And I watched Ratatouille yesterday (absolutely hilarious, possibly Pixar's best movie), but I've never been a big Giacchino fan, and most of what I heard in the movie was slapstick or really french stuff, neither of which I like, so I've passed on it.

slapstick?

• 2 weeks later...

I just finished listening to the 25th AE of The Dark Crystal, which I blindly purchased along with the new Godzilla release.

Wow.

I do not regret buying this one. ;)

What, you want a review?

If you are a big fan of Ifukube's Godzilla music this one is the complete opposite.

Godzilla is a big loud bombastic score, its not as fluid as ID4 in my opinion and the Godzilla theme is a close relative to Herrmann's Cape Fear. However there is alot of good action music. It was nice to hear the sub battle away from the film, as well as most of the music with the babies. There is so much you could not hear in the film, it's almost like hearing it for the first time.

I've found a new respect for David Arnold after reading the liner notes. It appears he also expected more from the film than it actually delivered and I understand the approach he was going for.

I would rank Godzilla along with ID4, Cutthroat Island and The Mummy Returns as bombastic scores that are fun to listen to.

The Dark Crystal is different, I would suggest you listen to the soundclips or watch the film. It's not limited so you can make up your mind without worrying about it going out of print.

Last night I listened to the Kingdom of Heaven complete 3CD version.

It is an AMAZING score and listening experience!!

Honey, I Shrunk the Kids

Man, I am so glad I got a hold of the complete score. Of course there are the infamous rips from Raymond Scott and Nino Rota, but there is more to it than that, and even the various orchestrations and permutations of said ripped themes are very cool.

The new softer theme that appears in the later section of the film, starting with (if I recall correctly) "Ant Safari," is a very pretty theme that I recall noticing in the film when I was younger. It's definitely worth it.

If you're a Horner basher on the grounds of his "borrowing," from himself and others, then I still can't see how you would hate this score, just because it's so much fun!

If for no other reason, then you should obtain this score for "The Lawn Mower." I just absolutely love this cue. I can't get enough of it. THE ORGAN OF DOOM! Oh, man, does Horner use that organ immensely well. It's just fantastic. I can't get over it. I loved the cue in the film, and it was wicked awesome to hear it on its own. It's just...get it.

He is obviously referring to Kingdom of Heaven. And I love the HGW stuff. If I wanted the 13th Warrior, I'd listen to the 13th Warrior. Ridley reverting back to his dumb musical self.

Jerry Goldsmith lived a long life, was composing music nearly until the end, and his music appeared in many films. If I feel like hearing his music in a film, I'll pop one of the films he scored in. No reason to mar a terrific film score and a terrific film with music that is associated with another film.

Just imagine if someone put in Max Steiner in a Patton scene because it worked well in that scene.

A good film score is a good film score. A good cue that had no reason being in that good film score is a good cue that had no reason being in that good film score. Goldsmith's score did no more to enhance that film than Gregson-Williams's score. And HGW's score did not deserve to be put into question by about 10 minutes of tracked in music that was distruptive to anyone who knew what the pieces were.

Normally I would agree, but this is Goldsmith.

Also, Scott had something to make up.

It's not like the goldsmith piece was show stopper that was called attention to. It seemed like rather temp scoring.

Yeah, I know... wouldn't it be interesting if Defending Your Life were, suppose, a film, and perhaps I was listening to the album and then decided to say so on somewhere like JWFan?

But what are the odds of that?

Well, I play the lottery with worse odds, so OK.

How was it?

Light and cheery - a real pleasure to listen to, not very dramatic, a sense of humor - a perfect fit for the film.