What is the last score you listened to?

HPFAN_2

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ryan Shore's HEADSPACE. Masterfully suspenseful. Herrmann would be proud.

Viva Zapata

The Goldsmith recording, or the original? I love how different they are. The new CD has such an urgency and vibrancy to it, I love it. The Goldsmith one let's one hear the details better.....At the moment, this is my favorite North score.

Last score I listened to was The Legend of Zorro, after Ted mentioned it earlier. Excellent album. I guess a lot of it is taken from the first score....but I never connected to that one. I love this album.

The original score. I don't have the Goldsmith recording.

Heartbeeps

. . . but it's a good score, and I'm pleased to revisit it once a year or so.

Once a year?? More like once a month, magnificent score!

Uh, yes, agreed in principle . . . however, some of us like a LOT of scores (not mention other kinds of music, too). I find it's kind of difficult to work through that list more than about once a year.

Depressing, but true.

All indy scores!!!! But especially Kingdom of the crystal skull!

My sample mashup that is :dance:

Ryan Shore's HEADSPACE. Masterfully suspenseful. Herrmann would be proud.

Ryan Shore is mentioned here. That guy deserves more attention, one of the future stars.

I have not listened to Headspace, but I soon I will. His Rex Steele shows, how energetic he can be too.

Ralph Vaughan Williams - Scott of the Antarctic

I didn't know that was available. I love Sinfonia Antarctica which was based on Scott of the Antarctic I believe.

Edit: After a quick jump to Amazon, is this the recording you have?

41Z3XM9TBDL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

I think that's the only one. I should dig it out again. Don't remember much, but I think it wasn't quite as close to Antartica as I'd expected (which only means that RVW took care and time when he transformed it into a real symphony).

The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian by Harry Gregson-Williams

After two listens I've decided that I really like this new installment. Perhaps even better than the original. Though I'm certain it's not going to win over anyone who doesn't like the first.

As a sequel score it's more along the lines of The Legend of Zorro than say The Empire Strikes Back. It's mostly a retooling of the previous movie's themes. In fact, aside from a possible theme for Prince Caspian himself, I didn't pick up on any new themes. And there are even 3 or 4 direct lifts of significant cues from the first movie, though not without some variation.

That being said, I find it much more than a bland rehash. The album feels more meaty, has a more serious tone and is faster paced with more action cues. And the reused themes are given some exciting variations to keep them fresh and enjoyable. I particularly like the final score track. While even reusing some of the same material I feel it's a more satisfying conclusion than the first album's final score track. And at almost 8 minutes it doesn't leave me wanting.

The four songs at the end are the typical gormless pop rubbish. Except perhaps The Call, which I find somewhat charming.

Overall I'd probably rate the album higher than the original, giving it 3 1/2 or even a full 4 stars. I really look forward to hearing the full score in the movie. :D

I don't much like The Legend of Zorro too much. Too much retread of old ground and not enough new. "The Train" is brilliant though.

Joseph and the Technicolour Dreamcoat

Haven't listened to the whole album, but just one track is enough to send me straight back to my 7th birthday in 1992 when I saw it live. The nostalgia is unbelievable :D

I've been listening to Treasure Planet lately. Damn, what a fine score! The strings of "Silver Leaves" is enough to touch the heart, and it also has some of the finest swashbuckling music ever written (1:51 - 2:01 of "12 Years Later" is enough to justify that, as well as other selections). And the mystery and wonder in "The Map" is spectacular.

That's a score? I didn't even know it was a movie.

He has acted in a few movies. He wrote songs for a couple films. Everything for Pat Garrett & Billy The Kid. He can be considered a composer.

You mean Wednesday night?

No, sir, I do not.

I am the manager of the projection booth at our local theatre. It's my job to build the prints when they come in -- on Tuesday, in this case -- and to then screen them to make sure there are no problems. On the clock, I might add. And I have every intention of claiming two of our four prints, and distributing the remaining prints to underlings who have managed to not make me mad lately.

There are very few perks to working at a movie theatre.

This is a big one.

(I'll never forget standing in line for the midnight show of The Phantom Menace, which I'd bought tickets to because I wanted to see it with all my friends. I was the fourth or fifth person in line, and the guys ahead of me were talking about how stoked they were to see it. I said that I had already seen it twice, because I had. They looked at me like I was a stone-cold liar, and then told me I was a stone-cold liar. I explained that I was the guy who put the prints together. They said they didn't believe me. I then stopped one of our ushers, had him stand in my place in the line, took out my keys, walked into the box office, sold some tickets, waved at the guys in front of the line, and came back and retrieved my place. Thye just gaped at me for a few seconds, and then asked, "How is it?" I looked at them for a few seconds, and then lied: "It's AWESOME," I said." Man, I'm an a-hole.)

From what I understand the press screenings will start this weekend.

Yep. I thought I would watch the movie today during press screening (assuming it'll be held a week or so before official release), but since the movie has its Cannes premiere on Sunday, I will watch it on Monday 9 A.M. All this thanks to my friend who is a movie journalist... sort of.

E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial

Surely one of the all-time great scores. Right...?

If aliens were to invade, and summon us all together, and say unto us, "We say unto you, we'll bug out and leave you guys alone if you turn over every existing copy of every single truly awesome movie score ever made; otherwise, we're ripping you dudes a new one," we'd have no choice but to try and con them into taking all the Police Academy scores.

Then, they'd reveal that they had telepathic abilities, and what were we thinking trying to pull that one over on them...? They'd understand, though, that we had to give it a shot. But then we'd have no wiggle room left, and we'd have to hand 'em over, and E.T. would be one of the first things into the mothership.

That had better never happen. I'm not giving mine up without a fight.

Well, your bizare method of emphisazing is...interesting. But I get your point, and yes, it is a BRILLIANT score. "Adventures on Earth (or "Escape/Chase/Saying Goodbye") is probably Wililams' best 10+ minute cue.

"Adventures on Earth (or "Escape/Chase/Saying Goodbye") is definitely the best film music cue of any length.

I agree completely!

Edit: After a quick jump to Amazon, is this the recording you have?

41Z3XM9TBDL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

The very one. :) Buy it, man, especially if you liked the symphony. :D

:o Superman IV - The Quest for Peace ;)

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.......it's still dreadful.

Dreadful? How?

Just discovered First Knight. It's pretty good. :lol:

Viva Zapata (Goldsmith version). Great score if tad short. Is it complete?

The Last Mimzy. Parts of it I like, but I can't just buy Shore in this genre. It'll probably take a few more listens. As usual with him.

Karol

(...)

The Last Mimzy. Parts of it I like, but I can't just buy Shore in this genre. It'll probably take a few more listens. As usual with him.

Karol

It's boring for the most part, as usual with him. That's too bad, because there are some good things on the album too.

Munich.

Wow, why didn't I buy this when it came out? Probably because I never saw the movie. For me, this is the culmination of his string-writing style (the dissonant minor notes resolving, very, very layered etc) of 2005. I was expecting it to continue in Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, and when it didn't, I was surprised. I bought this and realised why - he said everything he needed to in this score. Just beautiful.

Shore is not boring for the most part.

Except LotR I hardly find any score of him that keeps me interested for a longer period. The only exception is Departed, which is terrific.

The complete score for The Matrix, damn fine score. Currently listening to Reloaded's complete score then will move onto Revolutions' full score.

The complete score for The Matrix, damn fine score. Currently listening to Reloaded's complete score then will move onto Revolutions' full score.

Where'd you get those? ;)

Now listening to Alien (the complete original score). What a masterpiece! ;)

Just discovered First Knight. It's pretty good. <_<

Yes. Yes it is.

And the complete score is even better. ;)

Yes, the Mahler theme is fun in particular. Although perhaps that's the reason why Goldsmith left some great tracks off the album.

Marian, what particular theme are you referring to? I never listened to a vast array of Mahler, but I would be interested to know all the same.

OT- Just listened to Demolition Man for the first time in ages. I particularly like the song Sting wrote at the end of it.

Where'd you get those? <_<

Probably the same way I got them: trading.

I've been listening to Jurassic Park after watching Spielberg's first two installments. Right now I'm on Eye To Eye, and then after I'm done with the score I'll move on to The Lost World.