What is the last score you listened to?

HPFAN_2

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A fanfare-like theme (I think it's for Lancelot, but I've never seen the movie), which is identical with a theme from Mahler's (glorious) 2nd symphony.

Thanks. I know the theme you're referring to now. I'll have to listen to the 2nd symphony again, it's been too long since I have heard it.

A fanfare-like theme (I think it's for Lancelot, but I've never seen the movie), which is identical with a theme from Mahler's (glorious) 2nd symphony.

The 'Lancelot' theme sounds like Mahler? Well, i may have underestimated old Gustav till now. :D

Seriously, if Goldsmith would've written more swashbuckling stuff like this, he may have taken Korngold's throne for rousing-ness....

Munich.

Wow, why didn't I buy this when it came out? Probably because I never saw the movie. For me, this is the culmination of his string-writing style (the dissonant minor notes resolving, very, very layered etc) of 2005. I was expecting it to continue in Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, and when it didn't, I was surprised. I bought this and realised why - he said everything he needed to in this score. Just beautiful.

You should see the movie, too; it's one of Spielberg's best, in my opinion. (Apparently, it's not well-liked around here, but it's worth seeing, at the very least.)

Gabriel Yared's 1408. I saw the film ages ago and wasn't drawn by the score, but then I heard the cue Fire on the Varese 30th and decided the album needed a visit.

Also the full score to Alien, a work I've criminally neglected since it received the official release.

Munich.

Wow, why didn't I buy this when it came out? Probably because I never saw the movie. For me, this is the culmination of his string-writing style (the dissonant minor notes resolving, very, very layered etc) of 2005. I was expecting it to continue in Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, and when it didn't, I was surprised. I bought this and realised why - he said everything he needed to in this score. Just beautiful.

You should see the movie, too; it's one of Spielberg's best, in my opinion. (Apparently, it's not well-liked around here, but it's worth seeing, at the very least.)

In mine too.

The 'Lancelot' theme sounds like Mahler? Well, i may have underestimated old Gustav till now. :D

I keep underestimating him. Musically, 90s Goldsmith is totally different from Mahler, of course. But that theme is 100% identical, as far as I remember (and if not, at least VERY close).

Beneath The Planet of the Apes by Leonard Rosenman. A very worthy sequel to Goldsmith's original. Main Title is a highlight simply because Rosenman got to score a scene that Goldsmith chose not to. Captured and Second Escape are great examples of orchestral aggression. The release also includes the original LP which is completely different than the OST. Overall a great score release by FSM.

Accidental Tourist: It's good, but nothing spectacular. Very nice main theme, and some very nice variations. But nothing really stood out, aside from "A Second Chance."

Heartbeeps: This one's great! First off, it is probably the most unique JW score that I've heard, with the obvious exception of Images. More than any other JW score, you can really tell that he was having fun composing this (listen to "Crimebuster"). But at the same time, it has beauty, in cues like "The Junkyard" (rather ironic). It's no Raiders or ESB, but it still a great addition to JW's so called "golden age."

Godzilla - David Arnold: This isn't as good as Independence Day, but it's still very, very good. :) In some parts it sounds a little too much like Independence Day than I'd like, though. Love the military march in Subway Damage/Command Enters the City.

First Blood by Jerry Goldsmith. They just don't make movies or scores like this anymore. Even "It's A Long Road" with lyrics isn't that bad, its corny as hell but its stuck in my head.

Raiders of the Lost Ark. I love that tambourine at 2:54 of "The Miracle of the Ark." It's there for a split second, but it really gives the Ark an exotic feel, and it really enhances the scene.

Also Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. To quote another JWFan, it is made of awesome.

Raiders of the Lost Ark. I love that tambourine at 2:54 of "The Miracle of the Ark." It's there for a split second, but it really gives the Ark an exotic feel, and it really enhances the scene.

Haha, I've noticed and appreciated that too!

The thing I most love about that track is how sparse the orchestration is campared to other big climactic scenes. The pure statements of the Ark and Medallion themes reflect the raw and mighty power of the Ark.

The don't score 'em the way they used to.

:( Beneath The Planets Of The Apes - a nice companion score to Goldsmith's original.

I agree. And that love theme is gorgeous.

Absolutely. That, Marion's Theme, and Love Theme from Superman all compete for top JW love theme in my mind. Ask me which one's my favorite, and it'll probably depend on which one I listened to last.

Marion's Theme is lovely, but its not even in the same ballpark as the Love Theme from Superman, you're talking about the absolute best of John Williams, versus one of his very good efforts.

I always thought it was too bad that neither Marion's or Willie's themes were ever arranged into concert versions like most of Williams' love themes.

Aren't "Love Theme from Superman," "Across the Stars," and "Ann and Gabriel" the only JW love themes to get a concert treatment? Although I consider the end credits from Raiders to include a concert arrangment of "Marion's Theme."

My top 5 JW love themes:

"Han Solo and the Princess"

"Love Theme from Superman"

"Viktor and Amelia's Theme"

"Marion's Theme" and "Across the Stars" get the honorable mentions.

I've never seen Far and Away, is the theme at 1:35 of "The Land Race" a love theme? If so, that might make it in there, mainly because of the variations it gets in the previously mentioned cue.

Aren't "Love Theme from Superman," "Across the Stars," and "Ann and Gabriel" the only JW love themes to get a concert treatment? Although I consider the end credits from Raiders to include a concert arrangment of "Marion's Theme."

Leia's Theme, "Luke and Leia," "Jazz Autographs," "Love Theme from the Missouri Breaks," "Someone Like You (Lacy's Theme)," lots of stuff from Goodbye, Mr. Chips...

Ann and Gabriel is not a concert piece (unless he wrote one that's not on the OST), but the theme is featured prominently in The Patriot concert suite.

I'd say "Leia's Theme" is the unofficial love theme of Star Wars. And yes, it is beautiful.

;) Beneath The Planets Of The Apes - a nice companion score to Goldsmith's original.

Yes it is.

I'm glad I purchased this one before it sold out.

Now what about Escape From The Planet Of The Apes? I know there is a suite available, but why not the complete score?

I'd say "Leia's Theme" is the unofficial love theme of Star Wars. And yes, it is beautiful.

Yes.

However, nothing can top the Love Theme from Superman.

Agreed.

However, I'm also almost as partial to the more romantic passages of A.I. I'm not sure those count as love themes, per se, but it's awesome music one way or the other.

It's more than just beautiful. And if it's a love theme, it's the best Williams (or perhaps anyone else) has ever written.

Timeline by Jerry Goldsmith. I have no idea what was wrong with this score. It's very good actually. Great even, by today standards. Nice main theme, exciting action music. It has everything one could want from a summer score and is much more engaging than, say, Nemesis. Was the rejection about the score as such or because of post production mess overall? Because it would be outragous to toss away score like this. I'm not familiar with Brian Tyler effort so I won't comment on that.

The Black Dahlia. Probably the best score of 2006. Not very original, but more fun than L.A. Confidential and such. It is a noir score in the grandest sense. And I love it.

Red Dragon. After seeing the film again I decided to revisit this album. It is better than I remember, just as the film. I'm still not completely convinced, but appreciate it a lot more now.

The Fly. Say what you want LOTR fans, but this is Howard Shore at his best. I am curious what the opera will sound like.

Prince Caspian. Obvious MV/RC rant aside, it has actually more depth than the first one. More agressive and dense. Though it rips-off Kingdom of Heaven several times and is completely unmemorable at the end.

Karol - now listening to Mulan.

According to what's been reported Goldsmith didn't want to waste anymore time on the film when it went thru the changes.

Save yourself the money and don't worry about Tyler's bland score.

I see. I'm still puzzled when it comes to studio politics about spending a giant pile of money to hire another composer and pay the musicians again rather than give previous composer more time (and save a lot of money, I might add). JG walked out of the project at his own will as I understand it, but still.

Save yourself the money and don't worry about Tyler's bland score.

Judging from Children of Dune, AVP 2 and Constantine... You're probably right.

Karol

So do I. And I rather like his Timeline as well (although I think I still prefer Goldsmith's).

Can't see the supposed greatness that is Aliens vs. Predator: Requiem though.

The recent Gremlins 2 thread has thrown me into a Goldsmith loop again, I've been playing rarely anything but Goldsmith for the last few days.

Not that I'm complaining... :)

:| Beneath The Planets Of The Apes - a nice companion score to Goldsmith's original.

Yes it is.

I'm glad I purchased this one before it sold out.

Now what about Escape From The Planet Of The Apes? I know there is a suite available, but why not the complete score?

Yes.

I have a cd-r somebody gave me last year that's "Escape from the Planet of the Apes." It runs about 28 minutes, so it's not just the suite featured on the Varese PotA release. Of course, it's probably not complete either, at that length. There was a cd that came out pairing "Damnation Alley" with "Escape," and this disc is probably just the Apes tracks.

I actually like Children Of Dune.
So do I. And I rather like his Timeline as well (although I think I still prefer Goldsmith's).

Can't see the supposed greatness that is Aliens vs. Predator: Requiem though.

CoD is not a bad listen. But it seems more like a patchwork of elements from different scores than a standalone score.

AVP, on the other hand, is completely worthless. I couldnt make it through the album once. Goldsmith vs. Horner vs. Goldenthal, all of them at once in one cue. It doesnt work for me at all. Its a mess.

Karol

I 'heard' Armstrong's Hulk in the theatre on Friday - wasn't overly impressed. I found the 2CD release that evening, but again, none of it leapt out at me. The use of strings almost borders on MV style for me at times.

I won't give up just yet though :|

I just finished listening to The Happening. Really a great score. "Central Park" and "Mrs. Jones" have a very Signs like quality to them, very intenese. And the last couple of tracks (especially "Be With You") are incredibly beautiful. "Main Titles" is disturbing and beautiful at the same time, I love it.