What is the last score you listened to?

HPFAN_2

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been meaning to pick Breach up. Only good thing about the film.

I listened to Zimmer's An Everlasting Piece. Fun, easy going score with a bit of an Irish flavour.

Yes, that too. Although I am a Powell fan, I never got into his Bourne scores, aside from the main theme to the first one. I personally prefer his similar score to The Italian Job.

I've had one run through so far but it was sort of passive listening but I'm going through it again and I'm enjoying it more.

Some thoughts:

I'm a bit discouraged that the opening chord and bassoon theme heard in the previous two films during the titles is not present.

The opening track has some action writing that's a bit different than the two previous scores and Powells writing in general, not sure if I like it or not.

There are some bits where he's remixed parts of tracks from the previous films (not as much as Supremacy) but they sound a lot better, and he uses almost all of the themes in different ways, ex-The treadstone theme given a middle eastern twist in Tangiers.

The slow bits, Thinking of Marie and Faces Without Names, are really good

Extreme Ways by Moby also shows up, albeit remixed and now subtitled Bourne's Ultimatum

edit: I disagree about the Breach film, I enjoyed it although moreso after listening to the commentary

Ratatouille - I didnt find it engaging the first time around, but I liked it a lot lot more on the second listen as the subtly placed themes became more apparent. Lovely old fashioned stuff this is.

Started listening to The Bourne Ultimatum. Liking it so far. 'Tangiers' kicks ASS! Love the swirling strings! After listening to JNH's Hidalgo, it's nice to hear action music and swirling, Arabian-ish strings that don't sound like Goldsmith! (even though the JNH score is a very solid listening experience)

Morlock- who's loving Powell more and more with every score that comes along. Can't wait for his rom-com score!

Korngold: Sea Hawk the complete score: Absolutely brilliant swashbuckling score. :P

I listened to Star Wars today. Such a damn good score. This has really grown on me a lot since I listen to it more and more.

My ranking of the Star Wars scores...

1: The Empire Strikes Back

2: Star Wars

3: The Phantom Menace

4: Revenge Of The Sith

5: Return Of The Jedi

6: Attack Of The Clones

My first ever Star Trek score Star Trek the motion picture. I dunno it kinda just went through me. Perhaps another listen will open up something for me. On to the Wrath of Khan.

Are you going through all of them? I'm more of the one-at-a-time kind of guys.

-Ross, who's been focusing on TMP for a few months now. Thanks again, Master.

Are you going through all of them? I'm more of the one-at-a-time kind of guys.

-Ross, who's been focusing on TMP for a few months now. Thanks again, Master.

Actually I am too I will re-listen to TMP to appreciate it more, then go on to the other one. As of right now, I'm listening to Dr. Atomic. my first ever Opera. I wonder if Adams will blow my mind, let's see........*hits play*

Prokofiev's Ivan the Terrible. Trully amazing score and can clearly hear how it influenced so many modern scores (Hollow Man, Brothers Grimm and Glory come to mind).

I just got done (literally) listening to the complete recordings for The Two Towers. Such a damn fine score. It's nice to hear all the music Shore originally wrote for the film, instead of what they produced in the final version of the film.

I can't wait for the complete recordings for Return Of The King to come out this year.

I'd forgotten about the RotK: CR until very recently - surely we should be getting some sort of news within the next month, and the wild euphoria can start here again regarding the monkeys recently given temporary employment at Reprise :P

But yes, even after the tens of listens I've already given both sets, they remain my favourite score ever.

Otherwise, I just got Elfman's Planet of the Apes. A little too percussion based for my liking, but I'll probably end up keeping around half the album.

Still listening to The Bourne Ultimatum (enjoying moreso after seeing the film), there's just so many great parts.

It's sad that some people still disregard Powell because of his association with Zimmer.

Just finished Rosewood by John Williams. Always liked that one!

Now I am listening to The Pagemaster by James Horner. This'll be the first time I've listened to it straight through.....it's not that bad, but not that good either.

More later....

1941 complete score. It's a fun interesting score. I found it kind of odd though that Williams put in a rendition of the Jaws theme at the beginning of the score.

If you see the film you'll understand why.

If you're listening to the expanded score then that music is tracked from Jaws. On the original CD it's a little more subtle.

Catch Me If You Can.

I love this score. And then, when I thought I had gotten sick of it, it turns out I love it even more. Shame the album is not a very exciting listening experience in the long run.

Decided to listen to the less talked about Medal of Honor scores today

Allied Assault - Giacchino only wrote 15mins of new music for the series PC debut, but my what a glorious 15mins they are! I think he worked on this at about the same time he was writing the music for Frontline (which was released a few months later). One of the major Frontline action motifs makes its debut here.

Rising Sun - Lennertz makes a good case for himself with this one. Can stand proud alongside Giacchino's work

Pacific Assault - 15mins of Private Ryan-ish music by Lennertz. Not much to shout about.

European Assault - Another pretty spectacular action score by Lennertz, not very long though at only 30mins. Main theme sounds quite David Arnold-ish to me, and is slowly becoming my favorite MoH theme of all.

Catch Me If You Can.

I love this score. And then, when I thought I had gotten sick of it, it turns out I love it even more. Shame the album is not a very exciting listening experience in the long run.

I've had the same experience with the score. I always new I loved the main titles, but after that, I thought I'd give up after a few minutes. But it such a fresh, breezy score. The album (as many JW albums) is not constructed terribly well (although I do love the Sinatra song in there), but what can you do.

Just finished listening to "Jane Eyre", a truly beautiful score by John Williams. My favorite track is "Trio-The Meeting". It reminds me of "The Wedding" from Braveheart.....

The album (as many JW albums) is not constructed terribly well (although I do love the Sinatra song in there), but what can you do.

I took the songs out in my iTunes playlist, but the result wasn't satisfactory. The final bunch of tracks were quite difficult to get through.

I just listened to Temple Of Doom on LP (foldout cover U.S.). The LP looks like it never has been played and it sounded quite good. The music I'm not too fond of.

Now I'm listening to Empire Of The Sun, also on LP. And yep, it's still one of my favorite Williams scores.

Alex