What is the last score you listened to?

HPFAN_2

I just listened to Temple Of Doom on LP (foldout cover U.S.). The LP looks like it never has been played and it sounded quite good. The music I'm not too fond of.

Now I'm listening to Empire Of The Sun, also on LP. And yep, it's still one of my favorite Williams scores.

Alex

Empire of the Sun is a great soundtrack, and also a great film. My favorite scene from the film also contains my favorite music the soundtrack, which is the scene in which Jim walks slowly up to the airplane at the camp (the track is entitled "Toy Planes, Home, and Hearth" on the soundtrack, although I am not sure why, considering that is not what is happening in the scene).

Great listen.....

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

... the track is entitled "Toy Planes, Home, and Hearth" ...

Great track it is too! It's very sad. I also like the way Williams incorporated Chopin's piano piece.

I just took a snapshot of my Linn Sondek LP 12 - The LP is Empire Of The Sun

DSC00579-1.jpg

Alex

... the track is entitled "Toy Planes, Home, and Hearth" ...

Great track it is too! It's very sad. I also like the way Williams incorporated Chopin's piano piece.

I just took a snapshot of my Linn Sondek LP 12 - The LP is Empire Of The Sun

DSC00579-1.jpg

Alex

Very Cool! I just have a CD version that I bought on eBay a while back.....

I just listened to Temple Of Doom on LP (foldout cover U.S.). The LP looks like it never has been played and it sounded quite good. The music I'm not too fond of.

In that case, you shouldn't have put it on your player but instead sold it for a small fortune.

Are you going to pay me 400 euros for it, Steef? DollarEyes.jpg Well, we have a deal.

Spacecamp on LP. This LP also looks like new but what's interesting it sounds better than the Japanese CD. It has a pleasant, transparent top high frecuency which results in a much smoother tone. The CD sounds dull and lifeless in comparison.

Alex

Didn't you know it was worth its weight in gold?

Anyways, you might change your opinion when you hear the breathy LP version. Here's you last chance: I will sign the cover with "To Steef, for being an inspiration to all of us." If that isn't value for your money, then I don't know what is.

Alex

I gave away my pressed Spacecamp CD years ago to a Conservative Christian bigot in the USA. Which should tell you something about my opinion on that score.

I would have paid you for it. Oh well.

Got a chance to listen to a lot while in the airport and on the plane last week. At the airport I listened to Carlito's Way, Airport (what else?), Last Stand at Saber River and Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban. During the flight I listened to Superman - The Movie. On the way back, at the airport I listened to The Misfits and Spartacus. On the flight back I listened to both the original tracks and re-recording of The Private Life of Sherlock Holmes. It's a really great score, especially the new recording, which is my favourite album of the year so far.

Now I'm listening to Randy Newman's rejected Air Force One score. I forgot how much I enjoy this score. In a way it's more interesting than Goldsmith's replacement - but I can see why they rejected it, Newman seemed to score it was a parody, it would have made the film even hokier and sillier than it already is. :blink:

Yeah, Newman's score is terrific. But it would have been wrong for the film.

I was just listening to Desplat's Girl with a Pearl Earing again. Magnificent score. Crystalizes why Desplat is as it gets nowadays. The man has a talent for composition, and has the skill with an orchestra that is just about unparalleled at the moment. The man uses every bit of the orchestra. You really feel that there's a reason that there are 80 musicians playing the music, not just that the composer wanted the sound of 80 musicians.

• 1 month later...
Yeah, Newman's score is terrific. But it would have been wrong for the film.

I was just listening to Desplat's Girl with a Pearl Earing again. Magnificent score. Crystalizes why Desplat is as it gets nowadays. The man has a talent for composition, and has the skill with an orchestra that is just about unparalleled at the moment. The man uses every bit of the orchestra. You really feel that there's a reason that there are 80 musicians playing the music, not just that the composer wanted the sound of 80 musicians.

I agree, one of my recent favorites.

I love the unreleased music where it shows Dennis Nedry's jeep skidding through the mud. Other than that, I can't really think of any unreleased music I want.

Indy4 - who's listening to "The Chamber of Secrets"

• 3 weeks later...

Transformers - Steve Jablonsky

Well. This was definitely an MV score. I'm trying to be open-minded, but it gets obnoxious. I'm not as familiar with MV, so I'm pulling more recent examples, but I'm hearing Batman Begins all over the temp track, with splashes of POTC for good measure. It was irritating to hear that same MV percussion and the Batman Begins string rhythm over and over. The main theme was okay, I guess, but it kept bringing me back to Begins--I literally started humming Begins several times as statements of the theme started. But for some reason, I do actually like the Zimmer versions better (part of this may have to do with Howard's hand in the Begins score--who knows).

On the upside, there was some material that stood out a bit more in "Bumblebee," "Scorponok" (probably the best menacing track on the album), "You're A Soldier Now," and "Optimus vs. Megatron" (particularly the high strings toward the middle of the track--even so, I would've hoped for more from a track called "Optimus vs. Megatron").

I wanted to give this a shot, and maybe there's better material that isn't officially released, but I'm not hearing much in this score that hasn't been done better elsewhere.

Cutthroat Island

Nice, but works better in the movie than an isolated work IMO

There are some cool passages but feels a little like a 2 hour action cue.

I prefer Lair. Much more varied and pleasing to listen, though not very original.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
So if this is "not just JW", why does it have to be soundtracks?

It doesn't. Yes there is a difference between soundtrack and score, but they're all CD's. I guess I should have said "What's the last CD you listened straight through"

Just finished Drop Zone. Next up An Everlasting Piece.

Titanic, yesterday Dave and I drove from Little Rock to Texarkana to meet his former roommate who drove up from San Antonio and brought Dave his new Chihuahua puppy. She's adorable, black and white and she's named Suzie Q, because she looks like one, well anyways on the way Dave wanted to listen to the Titanic soundtrack.

Listening to Main Titles & Storm Sequence from Dracula. It's excellent. I expected a slightly quieter and more subtle score, but this is genius. I already had the music before I bought the CD, and remember listening to it before, but I have no recollection of this. Awesome job Johnny! <_<

The Lion in Winter. You are immediatly transported to the Middle Ages, it really feels ancient, wonderfully evocative, one of Barry's very best.

And I love that horn theme from the Storm Sequence :blink: Such a gem of a score

• 4 weeks later...

As somebody who has always appreciated the genius of the two notes of Jaws, but beyond that had never really enjoyed the score outside of the film too much, I am proud to say that is no more. I just listened to "The Great Shark Chase," it is has some really great adventure music to it. I take back all I said about most of the score being "dead music," it is really very lively and exciting. I still like Jaws 2 (in terms of score), but that gap has lessened slightly.

Also, I have Elfman's Serenada Schizophrana another listen, and I'm really enjoying that, too.

And two Mychael Danna scores:

Little Miss Sunshine - absolute brilliance, very unique, excellent!

Surf's Up - Another great score, but the only stand out track is "Legends," which is amazing

Danna is probably one of the most unqiue voices in film scoring of today, his scores are not ordinary at all (at least the two I own aren't).

Oh, and I've also been giving the Origianal Trilogy another listen, and I really love that too. ESB is still my favorite, but I've come to appreciate ANH and RotJ a lot more now.